You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d9a71eb76b0cfb45f83ffbcba19c16d96d73da7d (resized).jpg
193fa21a30e089b189b90ef63ea603b37ee5fe12 (resized).jpg
0523181816_Film1 (resized).jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a Dr. Dude that if right, left or both flippers are energized and you hit switch 50 magnet target and magnet solenoid #13 energizes and it holds the ball in place, and if I release the flipper buttons, it will cause 1 or both flippers to stay energized until the magnet time runs out, then the flippers will release at the same time the ball releases. This will happen every time.
I have changed out the Auxiliary Power Board, no change.
Changed out the Backbox Interconnect Board, with no change.
I have pulled all 3 wires, one at a time from the High Current Driver Board all the way through to where they go into the boards in the head and tested after each one, thinking maybe a solder splash in harness. No change.
When I unplugged the High Current Driver Board and hit the switch 50, the flippers work like they should.
If I hold the flippers up with my hand and energized the magnet and let go, the ball is energized on the magnet and the flippers will fall like they should.
Any other ideas of what it could be or what I should try?
Thanks John

4 years later
#2 5 years ago

Did you ever figure this out? I have one doing the same thing!

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from bk2futr:

Did you ever figure this out? I have one doing the same thing!</blockquote

it would have to be the wiring or there is a bad,faulty dioide.i would first start looking into the diodes on the flipper coils.

Did you ever figure this out? I have one doing the same thing!

did yours just start doing that or you bought it like that ect?

2 weeks later
#4 5 years ago

I tried removing the capicitors on both flippers and the flippers still worked but then the magnet quit working all together

#5 5 years ago

0523181816_Film1 (resized).jpg0523181816_Film1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

did yours just start doing that or you bought it like that ect?

I bougt it like this I think. I got it home and noticed right away. Previous owner said he didn't do it when he had it. I didn't try the game at his place.

#7 5 years ago

The yellow \purple wire is not correct. That is something that was wrong before you got it.

1 year later
#8 4 years ago

I have a Dr Dude and it's doing the same thing? Did anyone find the problem?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I have a Dr Dude and it's doing the same thing? Did anyone find the problem?

Are your flippers wired incorrectly? Left flipper should have Orn/Vio and Blu/Vio wires. Not Yel/Vio

#10 4 years ago

bk2futr has figured it out.
It was the capacitors on the flipper button switches they were to big (factory installed), here is his link to how he figured it out.
I had another Dr. Dude last year with the same problem, I found his link, changed the capacitors to what Williams was using on earlier System 11's flipper switches and the problem disappeared, don't know why Williams went to the larger capacitors for this game, but they do cause the flippers to hang up when the magnet is energized.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-mixmaster-and-flipper-issue

By the way Thank You bk2futr for posting your all your findings, when you called me on this problem last year, i couldn't remember what i did, whether it was fixed or not, (it was 5 years ago and a lot of games reconditioned after) but I talked with the customer who had the game and he said it still hangs up, next time I have a service call, it will be fixed.

#11 4 years ago

It wasn't the cap size, it was the 50 volt yellow/violet wire that was wrong. True the caps weren't correct either but wouldn't cause this issue.

d9a71eb76b0cfb45f83ffbcba19c16d96d73da7d (resized).jpgd9a71eb76b0cfb45f83ffbcba19c16d96d73da7d (resized).jpg193fa21a30e089b189b90ef63ea603b37ee5fe12 (resized).jpg193fa21a30e089b189b90ef63ea603b37ee5fe12 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It wasn't the cap size, it was the 50 volt yellow/violet wire that was wrong. True the caps weren't correct either but wouldn't cause this issue.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for all the good information! I won't be able to look at the game until next weekend, but I DO know that the large yellow caps on are both flipper buttons on my pin. In the posts from bk2futr he has the Orange/Violet wires on both his before and after pics. He claimed that changing the cap to the small blue one solved his problem so I guess I'll try that first (and also verify my flipper switches are't wired Yellow/Violet). bk2futr claimed that he installed the caps used on earlier System 11 games - can someone tell me what this part number might be?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

#13 4 years ago

I just reposted his picture from post #5. It must have been changed at some time.
Off the top of my head I think the caps should be .1uf 500volt.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I just reposted his picture from post #5. It must have been changed at some time.
Off the top of my head I think the caps should be .1uf 500volt.

FIXED!!! It was the cap on the flippers that was causing the problem as you all suggested. I'm not sure why the oversized factory capacitor was originally installed, or why the magnet seems to interfere with it, but .... it plays perfect now!

Woo hoo !

2 years later
#15 1 year ago

Thank you...as this solved a problem on another WPC Dr Dude that passed through TNT! Todd Tuckey

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-magnet-coil-causes-flippers-to-hang-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.