• Latest reply 10 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36823063.jpg
DSC04144.JPG
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to purchase a DR Dude and was wondering is this a good and fun game? Any ideas on what this game should sell for in nice shape? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

#2 10 years ago

If you have an Iphone or Android phone, you can download a digital version and check it out.

#3 10 years ago

I'm a big fan of this game and it looks awesome LED'd and blinged out! It is pre DMD and doesn't have the deepest rule set and it is brutal (I don't think it has a ball saver on it per my memory), but it is fun. Consider Party Zone as well if you like Dr. Dude as Party Zone has a DMD.

#4 10 years ago

I love System 11 pins and I think the 3 shot jackpot is one of the coolest combo shots ever, but I think the theme really sucks. Still wouldn't mind having one because its so fun to play.

#5 10 years ago

No ball save. It is pretty basic, but definitely "fun." It is stop and go, but in an enjoyable sort of way. The theme is what's going to make or break it for you. Its hard to get plastics and the Big Shot figure so if those are missing or broken, you're out of luck until DD gets the love it deserves some day. In nice shape $1200-1500 maybe? Minty condition, $2000-2200.

#6 10 years ago

One of my favorites. Played a shit ton of this one back in 89-90a when in college. It has a permanent home in my collection. I learned how to talk to chicks playing this machine.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

No ball save. It is pretty basic, but definitely "fun." It is stop and go, but in an enjoyable sort of way. The theme is what's going to make or break it for you. Its hard to get plastics and the Big Shot figure so if those are missing or broken, you're out of luck until DD gets the love it deserves some day. In nice shape $1200-1500 maybe? Minty condition, $2000-2200.

+1. Canea nailed it.

#8 10 years ago

I love my DR DUDE it way awesome! I have changed the led a bit put a few color changers in jump bumpers. big shot figure coming soon. make sure that the big shot is on the pin if you do buy one.

DSC04144.JPGDSC04144.JPG

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

If you have an Iphone or Android phone, you can download a digital version and check it out.

the mixmaster on the phone version is way off. it spins around in there more than that.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

One of my favorites. Played a shit ton of this one back in 89-90a when in college. It has a permanent home in my collection. I learned how to talk to chicks playing this machine.

Are you saying you acquired the Gift of Gab from Dr. Dude?

I played the Hell out of it in college as well, but haven't gotten to play one in ages. If the theme/style doesn't annoy you it's a solid, under-appreciated game for the period.

#11 10 years ago

It is a game that came from the heart and soul of a true pinball artist. The write up on Greg Freres' passion for making Dr. Dude in the Pinball Compendium is simply inspiring.

That said, it is hit or miss with people, but it's becoming one of my top 5 favorite games. It definitely demands that you practice your accuracy and makes you hit nearly everything on the playfield to achieve multiball.

It's not an easy game to get parts for. A few of the plastics have been repro'd and someone is trying to repro the Big Shot figure I believe, but is not finished yet. The ramp seriously needs to get done because the entrance is nearly always damaged.

I've never seen a Dude sell for more than $1500 (I traded for mine). They used to be $800 to $1200, but probably hovering around the higher end of that now. Good luck!

-BB

#12 10 years ago

I thought Dr. Dude and Party Zone were fun as hell.

#13 10 years ago

yeah big shot figures going for 150 on ebay. I just order 2 from a place and I am gonna post this up so the stupid prices will stop! http://www.pinball.co/Products/3769-03-8447.aspx there 150 bucks just got me 2 figures. it may take forever to get here and I hope they arrive in one piece.

#14 10 years ago

I don't understand why the big shot figure would be reproduced before the much more functional and necessary ramp. Which as mentioned, is almost always broken.

Please someone makes these!

-jon

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

I don't understand why the big shot figure would be reproduced before the much more functional and necessary ramp. Which as mentioned, is almost always broken.
Please someone makes these!
-jon

Throw some cliffys on the ramp and its generally good to go, even with holes in it. A missing or broken Big Shot is pretty obvious though...

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Throw some cliffys on the ramp and its generally good to go, even with holes in it. A missing or broken Big Shot is pretty obvious though...

trust me, my ramp is well beyond any cliffy protector...

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

trust me, my ramp is well beyond any cliffy protector...

#18 10 years ago

DD was one of my holy grail pins since I played it a lot in college. The art package is awesome imho, but it really tried to hold onto the 80's longer than it should have.

I would recommend that you drop the required shots on Gift of Gab, Heart of Rock and Roll and Magnetic personality to 1 hit each so you can easily get modes started.

At my last party, DD and BoP were always in use. Simple rules to get things going - goofy voices and great music.

#19 10 years ago

The game is a blast for the price.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

thought Dr. Dude and Party Zone were fun as hell.

Me too! And I think the artwork is pretty good.

9 months later
#21 10 years ago

I'm bumping this thread for some Dr Dude love. I've just finished shopping mine out and I've been playing it a lot.

These are a few of my favourite things:

• The comic strip on the translite featuring lenticular lens (they were on everything in the 80s/90s!).

• If awarded 'Slingshots score 100,000' the slingshots make a super cool record scratching sound effect.

• If set up correctly, flip just as a ball released from the Magnetic Personality reaches the flipper and it goes directly into the Gift of Gab.

• The jackpot music is probably my favourite on any pinball. It just makes me feel so damn happy.

• The flasher lighting during Reflex 1-2-3 combo highlighting the next shot with the rest blacked out.

• Completing a Reflex 1-2-3 combo with 2x scoring active.

Fellow Dr Dude owners, what are your favourite things?
And high scores? Mine is 30.5 million at the moment. I've got it set to hard (three hits for each EOC) but with the outlanes set tight.

#22 10 years ago

This game oozes character. The play is straightforward and very enjoyable.

The Mixmaster adds a bit of random to what should be a more definite Jackpot, but all in all a very entertaining deck.

Me likey!

#23 10 years ago

Love the colors and artwork. Can't comment too much on the gameplay as my time on this machine is very limited. I know I would snatch it up for the price it goes for.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Fellow Dr dude owners, what are your favourite things?
And high scores? Mine is 30.5 million at the moment. I've got it set to hard (three hits for each EOC) but with the outlanes set tight.

Getting a couple of balls stuck in the mixmaster for a loooooong time while in multiball (or even better, Super Dude), is still a really good feeling for me. Sucks when the ball pops out of there after only a hit or two though. And blowing Super Dude after a weak single jackpot is a downer. But I do like the randomness and praying that the mixmaster shot will stick for just a little longer while juggling the other ball.

I also love a perfectly nailed Gift of Gab shot. Flip-chunk!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Sucks when the ball pops out of there after only a hit or two though.

Yes! In my 30.5mil game I had a long multi ball going and there were three shots to the Mix Master that didn't get me any hits. It hardly ever happens, but there it was three times in a row in the most important multiball I've had on that game so far. That's pinball! Luckily it didn't cause me to blow it

#26 10 years ago

The call outs are the best ever, just on that alone I love this machine. Wooooah! You're a Dude.

#27 10 years ago

One thing I realised about Dr Dude that is a good strategy is, with a ball loaded in the Excellent Ray for multiball and the second ball in the launcher lane, the game only determines if the ball has left the shooter lane when a switch other than the shooter lane gets triggered. So if you soft plunge to the flippers without hitting any other switches then you get a free shot into the mix master while the other ball is still sitting in the Excellent Ray.

It helps eliminate those occasions where you drain one of the two balls before having the chance to shoot for a jackpot.

#28 10 years ago

36823063.jpg36823063.jpg

#29 10 years ago

I believe Paul at wannapinball.com has one at a pretty decent price.
He is in NJ. Give him a call if you are interested
njg

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

So if you soft plunge to the flippers without hitting any other switches then you get a free shot into the mix master while the other ball is still sitting in the Excellent Ray.

Haha! I do this too. It can buy you a pressure-free shot to the mixmaster if you can control the ball. Feels like cheating though!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

If awarded 'Slingshots score 100,000' the slingshots make a super cool record scratching sound effect.

Really?!

#32 10 years ago

certainly a keeper for me, Spent a lot of time and money getting my play field perfect, including sending the mixmaster plastics off to be vacuum metalized.

I know its a long shot, but if someone had an unbroken/nos swords of fury ramp, I would trade a big shot figure or gift of gab plastic for it.

#33 10 years ago

my favorite part of the DR is getting that grand champ spot with the cool light show song and 3 knocks!!

#34 10 years ago

Yeah! I'll try to get a recording of it tonight and post it.

Quoted from dementedwarlok:my favorite part of the DR is getting that grand champ spot with the cool light show song and 3 knocks!!

It does a great job of making you feel awesome

#35 10 years ago

It does a great job of making you feel awesome

Don't you mean AHH-SOME! ha ha ha
BEST GAME EVER

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

One thing I realised about Dr dude that is a good strategy is, with a ball loaded in the Excellent Ray for multiball and the second ball in the launcher lane, the game only determines if the ball has left the shooter lane when a switch other than the shooter lane gets triggered. So if you soft plunge to the flippers without hitting any other switches then you get a free shot into the mix master while the other ball is still sitting in the Excellent Ray.It helps eliminate those occasions where you drain one of the two balls before having the chance to shoot for a jackpot.

Funny you should mention this ...

I've owned my Dr Dude for well over ten years, and I just figured this out a month or two ago.

I've always gone for the 100,000 skill shot (as you do...) but this is so much better.

As long as the ball doesn't set off a sling or something, you've got a free shot. Winner!

rd.

#37 10 years ago

Played for the first time a few weeks ago great game.

#38 10 years ago

The game is not my cup of tea, but you can try it out for yourself via the pinball arcade app to see if you like the game play.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've always gone for the 100,000 skill shot (as you do...) but this is so much better.

Definitely. Now I have to practice these soft plunges a bit to find the best way to trap a ball without it hitting a sling.

Beat my high score last night with 36 million. A good Super Dude multiball helps.

#40 10 years ago

When I saw this thread I figured I'd just read a whole string of, "ah, it's a one shot game, mixmaster FTW!" Great to see it get so much love. IMHO, game would be much better if the mixmaster did not spot you hearts, gabs, or mps.

#41 10 years ago

It's a fun enough game and it's certainly different. Art/Sound is a matter of taste. I think it's pretty cool with all the over-the-top plastic crap on the playfield and outrageous art and wacky storyline.

Play wise it's ok, not top of the heap sys 11 but a good game. The playfield layout is very reminiscent of POTC if I recall, which isn't surprising since it was a comeback design by Dude's designer Nordman.

Steve Ritchie did the same thing with T3 which is very similar to T2.

#42 10 years ago

I think its definitely a fun game. Not deep as others have said, but you don't always need a super deep game of pinball. You don't have to think too hard about it...you can just play some pinball.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

IMHO, game would be much better if the mixmaster did not spot you hearts, gabs, or mps.

Fortunately it is easy to change the settings for how many hits required to spot Elements of Coolness. Increase it to make it a less worthwhile strategy.

The curveball is Heart of Rock'n'Roll target, it always sends the ball out of control. But I think it rounds out the game nicely. It's the perfect game to focus on making your shots, and controlling the ball.

Since I have been playing it I have honed a bunch of skills: drop catches, live catches, bounce passes, post passes, outlane nudging, cradled and on-the-fly shooting.

The fan layout leads to good aiming practice (except for the right lane which isn't worth shooting for) and the Reflex 1-2-3 combo makes you practice on-the-fly shooting because you're forced to do so in order to complete it. The REFLEX targets and drop targets are good for fine aiming practice as well. After owning Dr Dude I found myself performing much better on older SS games like Alien Poker that require good aiming.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to purchase a Dr dude and was wondering is this a good and fun game? Any ideas on what this game should sell for in nice shape? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Beyond fun! Go for it!

#45 10 years ago

I would consider trading my Dr. Dude for a DE Hook if anyone was interested...

#46 10 years ago

I love my Dude, and Party Zone right next to it.

#47 10 years ago

My Dr Dude is a keeper and it,s not going any where.

#48 10 years ago

I have only played a couple of games on one but they were fun. It certainly a nice looking pin but I hear it gets old, I guess like any other pin. I know a guy selling a huo one and I think he still has it but not sure. I don't really know him but I have talked to him a few times.

#49 10 years ago

^^^^how much? Im never opposed to an upgrade for the dude

#50 10 years ago

Yes this game is super fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-is-this-a-good-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.