Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

49dc42c2-45ba-4135-8a58-04d98847951e-2060x1236_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Just completed a flasher upgrade to LEDs on Dr. Dude.

Mixmaster and Gift of Gab flashers are all 5 SMD flashers from Comet.

Big Shot and drop targets are using 13 SMD super flashers from Comet.

Heart and Magnet are using color-matched 13 SMD super flashers from Comet.

I left the Ray with an incandescent because oddly enough it is much brighter and more uniform than any LED flasher I tried.

Here's how it all looks with the Gazillion fanfare. What do you think?

#2 3 years ago

Sure looks fantastic - congratulations! Could you please specify the LED flashers you did use, I am trying to get these here in Germany. Did you have to change anything with cables etc. - or did you just exchange the given bulbs with LED ones? Regards and thanks, Rainer

#3 3 years ago

Thanks! I actually listed the flashers I used. Not much I can add as far as that goes.

Nothing needs to be changed but you will need to solder diodes to several coils. Otherwise with LED flashers the flippers will cause the flashers to flash....a bit annoying. See here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-led-flashers-to-system-11-games

#4 3 years ago

great work, I love that game!

#5 3 years ago

Most excellent, dude!

49dc42c2-45ba-4135-8a58-04d98847951e-2060x1236_(resized).jpeg

#6 3 years ago

I think your color choices are great, but your are definitely at the max for brightness.
I might be temporarily blind now.......
-Kyros

Edit: It could also be the camera. Maybe they are a little less harsh in real life.

#7 3 years ago

Great job. They look nice

Personally I think it's overkill to do all this work to get leds in flashers. I think incandescents are fine with flashers.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Kyrosfear:

I think your color choices are great, but your are definitely at the max for brightness.
I might be temporarily blind now.......
-Kyros
Edit: It could also be the camera. Maybe they are a little less harsh in real life.

It's the camera - it exaggerates even the insert lights too. I was very careful about overkill. None of the flashers are blinding or distracting to the player. The high-powered ones are colored which drastically reduces their brightness. If the heart flasher was the same one in white, yes it is way too bright.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

Great job. They look nice
Personally I think it's overkill to do all this work to get leds in flashers. I think incandescents are fine with flashers.

Soldering the diodes took about 5 minutes. The diode used is the most common one out there so I already had them on hand. If not, they're $3 for 50 at Amazon. IMO the new look def made it worthwhile. Thanks for looking!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

It's the camera - it exaggerates even the insert lights too. I was very careful about overkill. None of the flashers are blinding or distracting to the player. The high-powered ones are colored which drastically reduces their brightness. If the heart flasher was the same one in white, yes it is way too bright.

Fair enough. I watched the video again and you truly did a nice job.
I am hoping to pick up a Dr. Dude in the near future so your thread is appreciated.
-Kyros

#10 3 years ago

Oh I think the leds look sweet.

I'm just lazy greg!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Sale Pending!
Naperville, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dothan, AL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside