You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dude 2 (resized).jpg
Dude 1 (resized).jpg
#1 10 years ago

So long story short I just sold my dear Dr Dude to a guy locally and after about a day both displays went dead. Everything else works except the displays and what was a no error machine is now chiming an error that he obviously can't see. Now I feel like an asshole and want to help him with the problem. He's checked all the connections/fuses. I got him looking at the boards for burnouts. Any other suggestions?

#2 10 years ago

Bumping

#3 10 years ago

Check the voltages for 5V/100V/-100V
Check the flatcables (reseat them) both on the displays and the CPU
Check the connectors if they are properly connected.

#4 10 years ago

I'm the guy...
I'm very newb at this, so I don't know what you've suggested.
I have checked, and reseated every obvious connection to the screens.
The fuses don't appear to be blown.
Possibly, I'll add some pics to help assess.
It seems to work otherwise.
My wife was playing when they went out, and she said that it was instant. No flickering or fading, just gone.
It chimes either once or three times when turned on, and the diagnostic light flashes rapidly.
Thanks

#5 10 years ago

Strange, 1 chime should indicate OK, but 3 chimes means U4 failure on the soundboard.
And the problem here is the displays failing...

I think the two don´t have anything to do with each other, perhaps the chimes on the soundboard just needs reseating the IC´s which are on sockets.

------

Measuring the voltages as I mentioned above:
With a digital mutimeter:
Voltage range set to VDC, in the range higher than 100V
Black wire to ground, and the red wire to the pins on the power supply board 3J2, 6 pins. They should measure at least 5V, 100V and -100V. Without it the displays won't work.

--------

Can you also have a look at the CPU board, near the batteries? Does it have signs of corrosion?
The lines to the flatcables to the display are very near the batteries on DrDude.

3 weeks later
#6 10 years ago

All good.
The displays were just a blown fuse.
It wasn't visible, but I checked the voltage as per above.
Had another weird error after that, and Dave walked me through it...seemed to be a switch that needed adjusting.
Thanks for the assistance.

#7 10 years ago

Thank you Torque for letting us know you got the pin working again. So many people receive advice on how to fix something and we never hear from them again. This leaves us wondering if the game ever got fixed or if the op simply gave up.

Best regards,

Tom

5 years later
#8 5 years ago

Hi, I have a new problem. Not really new.
Happened quite a while ago, and just got busy/lazy.
I get the errors in the pics.
The pinball missing is actually new, since I turned it on today.
The Heart 38 is the original error when it stopped and we just unplugged it (for probably a couple years).
I have the manual, but can't make any sense of it.
Can anyone help? Thanks

Dude 1 (resized).jpgDude 1 (resized).jpgDude 2 (resized).jpgDude 2 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

bump
Please help.

#10 5 years ago

Make sure you have no stuck Pinball’s in the machine. It’s telling you it’s not recognizing that all the balls are in the ball trough. The other message is probably a switch adjustment that needs to be made on the mixer heart switch. Check those things out first and report back

1 month later
#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

Make sure you have no stuck Pinball’s in the machine. It’s telling you it’s not recognizing that all the balls are in the ball trough. The other message is probably a switch adjustment that needs to be made on the mixer heart switch. Check those things out first and report back

Sorry, I didn't get notification of a reply.
What's a mixer heart switch? How I adjust it?
Thanks

#12 5 years ago

So, there were additional errors.
I found the switches in the manual.
They're part of a 4 bank of dropdown targets.
Is that something that a techncian can fix, or does the assembly have to be replaced?
Further, would that cause the flippers to be "lazy", and the pinball missing error?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Torque:

They're part of a 4 bank of dropdown targets.
Is that something that a techncian can fix, or does the assembly have to be replaced?

It can be a number of things, there is an opto board which is connected to the drop targets and senses the targets dropping. The board may have a cracked header pin or a lose wire in the IDC connector. The opto sensors on the board maybe dirty. These are things that you can you can check yourself.

Quoted from Torque:

Further, would that cause the flippers to be "lazy", and the pinball missing error?

Dirty EOS switches, or cabinet switches. The pinball missing is because the machine can't find one of the balls. So you may need to adjust or replace a trough switch, or there maybe a broken wire or a open diode on one of the switches too.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It can be a number of things, there is an opto board which is connected to the drop targets and senses the targets dropping. The board may have a cracked header pin or a lose wire in the IDC connector. The opto sensors on the board maybe dirty. These are things that you can you can check yourself.

Dirty EOS switches, or cabinet switches. The pinball missing is because the machine can't find one of the balls. So you may need to adjust or replace a trough switch, or there maybe a broken wire or a open diode on one of the switches too.

I found the opto board. I don't see any obvious visual issues.
All 4 are now showing as an error.

Can anyone recommend a tech in Calgary?

Thanks GRUMPY and others.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Torque:

All 4 are now showing as an error.

I would bet that the 12 volt or ground signal is missing. Do you have a voltmeter?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I would bet that the 12 volt or ground signal is missing. Do you have a voltmeter?

Somewhere I think.
If that's the issue, what's the solution?

#17 5 years ago

Here is a pic of the opto board. If you remove the board and look at the component side header joints. There maybe a crack on one of the pins on J-2.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-displays-both-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.