Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

So this Big Shot guy in Dr. Dude is kind of a side-show that departs from the rest of the game's objective. When you hit it the guy moves back and forth. I don't really get excited hitting this thing. It is what it is.

But I had an idea that if you removed the Big Shot character from the coil arm, made him stationary and further towards the back, and then attached a small boxing glove of some kind to the coil arm which would hit him in the face each time you nailed the target....what do you think?

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like fun, try it out and let us know.

#3 8 years ago

Is big shot easily removable?

If I owned dude, I think I'd remove him just to save him when it comes time for sell.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Is big shot easily removable?
If I owned dude, I think I'd remove him just to save him when it comes time for sell.

2 screws in his back if I remember correctly. This isn't a bad idea I would just worry that whatever is hitting him may break him overtime. He's (made) cheap but not cheap.

#5 8 years ago

I see.

If I owned dr dude I would remove him. Having him not there wouldn't bother me at all. And when you go to sell, you'd have a nice one to go along with the pin.

#6 8 years ago

Can someone please 3d scan the toy and print them? Make it available for <$40
I'd buy 3 of them just to keep the correct toy in place

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I see.
If I owned dr dude I would remove him. Having him not there wouldn't bother me at all. And when you go to sell, you'd have a nice one to go along with the pin.

Though I know a lot of people needed to replace their Big Shot I'm not sure how they get so destroyed. All he does is go back and forth occasionally during play and when you hit his target. Maybe on route being played a ton or if a rogue ball pops up and got him since he's hallow plastic. Otherwise he should be untouched.

Side note Blackbeard I've been rooting for you with finding a Dude from your wanted ad good luck.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Side note Blackbeard I've been rooting for you with finding a Dude from your wanted ad good luck.

Thanks.

A friend has a gorgeous one that is pretty mint. He decided to pull the mylar on it and pulled up some paint unfortunately. We had previously worked out a fair trade for my flintstones, etc., but now the pulled up paint and it's something that kinda bugs me.

I guess the search goes on!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Thanks.
A friend has a gorgeous one that is pretty mint. He decided to pull the mylar on it and pulled up some paint unfortunately. We had previously worked out a fair trade for my flintstones, etc., but now the pulled up paint and it's something that kinda bugs me.

I obtained a pretty dirty one with mylar on, removed the mylar - it took up some paint on the Reflex inserts so I just painted it back with an airbrush, clear coated, looks new now. Unless it's the halftoned areas, lifted paint is a pretty easy fix on Dude.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I obtained a pretty dirty one with mylar on, removed the mylar - it took up some paint on the Reflex inserts so I just painted it back with an airbrush, clear coated, looks new now. Unless it's the halftoned areas, lifted paint is a pretty easy fix on Dude.

I showed the pics to my restoration guy. The areas that lifted weren't flat colors, but have those tiny dots all over. Like pixels. So using a flat color would really look horrid and out of place and wouldn't match.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Thanks.

Just make the fair trade, then it's one less Wanted ad we have to keep seeing over and over. Little missing paint is nothing

#12 8 years ago

This is a zoom in of one of the sections that lifted paint. Issue is is all those pixals (tiny dots) that's the way the artwork was laid. Trying to match that is difficult.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

This is a zoom in of one of the sections that lifted paint. Issue is is all those pixals (tiny dots) that's the way the artwork was laid. Trying to match that is difficult.

image_(resized).jpeg

Seen a lot worse. Guess it just depends on how picky you are. And I'm thinking your plenty picky. Maybe the fair trade deal could be sweetened a bit more on your end?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Ouch. That's right in the middle of the playfield and is halftoned paint (the pixels). You CAN fix that with a decal. Because it's in a prime area, you really gotta color match it well. OR What I would do is color match the blue part and simply manually touch it up with Createx paint on a very thin brush. I'm a picky person but when done right nobody will be able to tell. For the black parts, use a Molotow marker.

I'm very surprised the mylar lifted that and you aren't also having clear coat detachment issues on the inserts (which you'd notice right away)

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

But I had an idea that if you removed the Big Shot character from the coil arm, made him stationary and further towards the back, and then attached a small boxing glove of some kind to the coil arm which would hit him in the face each time you nailed the target....what do you think?

Sounds like a cool idea! It's a great mod that arguably enhances the original design. The artwork makes it clear that you're punching the Big Shot when you hit the target. He's recoiling but nothing is actually hitting him so you have to use your imagination.

You'd want to put the Big Shot on some kind of spring mount so he doesn't get subjected to much shock and recoils deliciously from the impact. But there isn't a lot of room there so he couldn't spring back too much or he'll hit the mixmaster housing.

Any idea where you'll source a glove? Possibly find a toy that you can cut the arm off and use that.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Sounds like a cool idea! It's a great mod that arguably enhances the original design. The artwork makes it clear that you're punching the Big Shot when you hit the target. He's recoiling but nothing is actually hitting him so you have to use your imagination.
You'd want to put the Big Shot on some kind of spring mount so he doesn't get subjected to much shock and recoils deliciously from the impact. But there isn't a lot of room there so he couldn't spring back too much or he'll hit the mixmaster housing.
Any idea where you'll source a glove? Possibly find a toy that you can cut the arm off and use that.

My idea was that the cutout slot in the Big Shot plastic goes from the figurine all the way to the back but the coil arm is where the figurine is, so there's a lot of room. He could be mounted to some type of spring mechanism that attaches on a post that goes through the plastic cutout slot and mounts to the playfield directly. Problem is, my Big Shot had previously broken and was carefully re-attached to the coil arm with some adhesive. Works great but no more screw mounts on him so I can't detach him to test the mod.

As far as mini boxing gloves, these are very easy to obtain. No worries there.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Ouch. That's right in the middle of the playfield and is halftoned paint (the pixels). You CAN fix that with a decal. Because it's in a prime area, you really gotta color match it well. OR What I would do is color match the blue part and simply manually touch it up with Createx paint on a very thin brush. I'm a picky person but when done right nobody will be able to tell. For the black parts, use a Molotow marker.
I'm very surprised the mylar lifted that and you aren't also having clear coat detachment issues on the inserts (which you'd notice right away)

And that's only one little section. And most is in the halftoned areas. I feel really bad for the owner cause the pin is in super shape besides the paint lift.

Yes, my resto guy said waterslide decals could possibly be made to match the half toned areas. But, I don't know for sure Dr. Dude was a pin I wanted to spend the money for to clear, etc. like I did my taxi (keeper for me).

I know owner used heat to remove the mylar. I've always used freezing and never had an issue. I do know this era of ballys is prone to paint lift.

#18 8 years ago

Another pic

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#19 8 years ago

Dithering is the worst. My Fish Tales would like to have a word with you.

I just winged it and gave it background paint and play the game happily. All machines look great in a dark room with all the bells and whistles on. Even really shitty playfields.

#20 8 years ago

I learned "half-toned".

What's "dithering"?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Problem is, my Big Shot had previously broken and was carefully re-attached to the coil arm with some adhesive. Works great but no more screw mounts on him so I can't detach him to test the mod.

Could you re-use the coil arm as part of your new Big Shot mount? You'd probably have to make a new coil arm for the glove anyway so that it can be positioned a bit further forward.

#22 8 years ago

Dithering is a method used to create the illusion of colour gradients among other things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

#23 8 years ago

man, blackbeard, you can tell that PF was a beauty before the mylar pull very sad seeing that lift on his PF.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I learned "half-toned".
What's "dithering"?

I won't bore you with the technical differences. They both essentially achieve the same result of depicting shading and color transition using dots that simulate the in-between colors. On Dr. Dude, this is primarily the blue to green transition up the playfield and the purple areas near the flippers.

WOW! That playfield has an insane amount of paint lift. That sucks. I bet the heat removal is the cause. It's likely he used too much heat and loosened the clearcoat below the mylar, which was then taken up and took paint with it. I used the freeze method and lost no paint at all on the playfield and just some on two Reflex inserts.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Could you re-use the coil arm as part of your new Big Shot mount? You'd probably have to make a new coil arm for the glove anyway so that it can be positioned a bit further forward.

I don't want to remove the existing coil arm but yeah, I would need an extension from the coil arm to the glove or it would be hitting him in the groin.

...Actually, that might be even funnier.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

man, blackbeard, you can tell that PF was a beauty before the mylar pull very sad seeing that lift on his PF.

Yeah, this was the one I was telling you about. Total bummer. Pretty much unfaded and has zero magnet wear. Also has the cool squiggly ramp. UGH! Feel bad for the owner with the results. Good guy too.

#27 8 years ago

I was playing Dr Dude last night and I was reminded that the Big Shot moves on his own sometimes even if you don't hit his target, kind of like a taunt. If the boxing glove was implemented, it would randomly punch him during game play. Just something to think about if you go forward with this.

#28 8 years ago

I think an alternate figure is a good idea.

#29 8 years ago

Absolutely. Like I said earlier he's not the most well made figure. Maybe even a picture of him instead, with a bullseye on his face. It would make more room in between the glove and mixmaster too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-dude-big-shot-mod-idea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.