Linked Games

Topic poll

“DP vs. MET”

• Deadpool 78 votes
    38%
  • Metallica 126 votes
    62%

(204 votes)

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Which is better and why?

#2 4 years ago

Theme - Deadpool
Code - Deadpool
Layout - Deadpool
Art - Deadpool

I like Deadpool more in pretty much every way. Even music. The game has way more variety to the shots and the code structure. So much more fun getting through the game.

Crank it up modes are amazing, but it’s literally the only thing I enjoy doing in Metallica.

#3 4 years ago

I vote Metallica kick ass fast gameplay awesome theme and an amazing rule set. Also is loaded with lots of sweet toys and gimmicks.

#4 4 years ago

Deadpool is great, but DAMN Metallica is just a pinch better for me

#5 4 years ago

Queue the music maestro....

Not long ago, where the unicorns roam
Eating chimichangas with his friends.
Life was all grand
Hit the jackpot, then bam
Luck dealt him a bad hand.
Department-K turned him back around
Made him a new man
Katanas, blasters, and boom are his new friends.

#6 4 years ago

Its not even close....Met is far and above a better game....

Theme - I give this a tie since its a personal pref
Code - Not even close ... Met all the way
Layout - Met by a mile
Art - Another tie as its a personal pref
Fun Factor - Met by a mile

#7 4 years ago

I like DP a lot, but for me, MET just has that perfect balance of everything. Great art, great sounds and great layout/toys. The code is not overly complicated...but deep enough to get you pushing the start button over and over and over. I play it more than all of my other games combined.

#8 4 years ago

metallica

#9 4 years ago

Have both and they aremy favorite sterns made....

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have both and they aremy favorite sterns made....

MET Pro or MET prem/LE?

#11 4 years ago

It isn’t even a close contest. Metallica hands down.

#12 4 years ago

wow i am surprised of all the metallica votes. I love metallica's music and I own neither machine but have played them both. I hated metallica, and liked deadpool more than i thought i would reading the reviews. Always comes down to personal preference.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Theme - Deadpool
Code - Deadpool
Layout - Deadpool
Art - Deadpool
I like Deadpool more in pretty much every way. Even music. The game has way more variety to the shots and the code structure. So much more fun getting through the game.
Crank it up modes are amazing, but it’s literally the only thing I enjoy doing in Metallica.

Interesting. I feel pretty much the exact opposite except for agreeing that Crank It Up modes are amazing. And I'll throw in that MET's toys are WAY better than DP's.

MET all day, every day, and twice on Sundays over DP for me.

#14 4 years ago

I need more time on DP -- I've liked what I've seen so far, but due to nostalgia and more time on Met, I have to go with Met.

Familiarity wins in polls -- not rational thinking.

-mof

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

#16 4 years ago

I own both and feel that along with LOTR are the best Sterns ever made. MET is such a classic with perfect code. Having the band members doing the callouts really kicks ass too. Sparky, the snake, the graveyard etc...groundbreaking toys. I prefer ZY art to DD and my Deadpool LE is the most beautiful Stern I’ve ever seen and has the fit and finish that would make JJP envious. All that being said, DP puts a smile on my face every single time I play and is easily the most fun I’ve had playing pinball. So I guess I prefer DP but there is no wrong answer here in my book.

#17 4 years ago

Interesting. I feel pretty much the exact opposite except for agreeing that Crank It Up modes are amazing. And I'll throw in that MET's toys are WAY better than DP's.

Might help to know that toys mean absolutely nothing to me.

#18 4 years ago

I voted with my wallet.

Deadpool Pro owner here with no regrets. I don't even like playing Metallica.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Might help to know that toys mean absolutely nothing to me.

Fair enough, but a lot of pinheads (including me) appreciate them and MET has some of the all-time best! Accordingly, I mentioned it as another category in which I think MET beats DP.

Quoted from punkin:

... I don't even like playing Metallica.

#20 4 years ago

Metallica is a smoother shooter for sure but Deadpool is all around the better game .

#21 4 years ago

I played both, I prefer DP...
Deadpool code is only going to get better!

#22 4 years ago

With theme having no impact: Metallica. Great shot selection, excellent modes, sounds, Sparky, Snake and Raising cross toys. Deadpool is a nice game, cool color DMD but shot selection not as fun as Met.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from kingau:

I played both, I prefer DP...
Deadpool code is only going to get better!

I think the code is done...?

#24 4 years ago

More votes bump

#25 4 years ago

MET all the way. Theme alone is better, better call outs with the band members, and SAM.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Theme - Deadpool
Code - Deadpool
Layout - Deadpool
Art - Deadpool

I totally agree. DP is a great pin!

#27 4 years ago

As a new DP owner, I still favor my MET. DP is fun, but it feels code light to me.

#28 4 years ago

Met is chop,chop,chop, some more wood. Boring, owned it and got rid of it. Dead pool all the way

#29 4 years ago

Metallica has the smoother shooting layout, but it is also much more "generic" while DP has way more unique shots, but with some being a bit more clunky.

Metallica has some great code, but when you really boil it down it is a lot of wood chopping and very repetitive. Crank-it-ups are awesome. The stuff you do to get to them is awesome. But if you are going for End of the Line you get to CIU. Then do it again. Then do it again. Then do it again. Then do it one more time. No change at all in how you qualify the next one. And God forbid you start Seek and Destroy because then you are REALLY back at square one. Shame too as that is one of the coolest modes.

Deadpool on the other hand has very unique code to go along with it's unique layout, and they mesh perfectly. Sure, you have to fight each battle twice, but the second time is switched up by adding the Sauron shots. It is never repetitive or wood choppy.

Art is almost a wash. Both BEAUTIFUL machines. Theme is all down to preference. I would have a hard time enjoying Metallica if I truly didn't like the band. DP on the other hand has a really cool retro gaming feel to it, even if you don't care about the character.

Metallica is no doubt one of the best ever made. But I personally prefer DP.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

... Deadpool on the other hand has ...

DP also has Lil Deadpool cartoons.

<cue disqualification buzzer>

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Metallica has the smoother shooting layout, but it is also much more "generic" while DP has way more unique shots, but with some being a bit more clunky.
Metallica has some great code, but when you really boil it down it is a lot of wood chopping and very repetitive. Crank-it-ups are awesome. The stuff you do to get to them is awesome. But if you are going for End of the Line you get to CIU. Then do it again. Then do it again. Then do it again. Then do it one more time. No change at all in how you qualify the next one. And God forbid you start Seek and Destroy because then you are REALLY back at square one. Shame too as that is one of the coolest modes.
Deadpool on the other hand has very unique code to go along with it's unique layout, and they mesh perfectly. Sure, you have to fight each battle twice, but the second time is switched up by adding the Sauron shots. It is never repetitive or wood choppy.
Art is almost a wash. Both BEAUTIFUL machines. Theme is all down to preference. I would have a hard time enjoying Metallica if I truly didn't like the band. DP on the other hand has a really cool retro gaming feel to it, even if you don't care about the character.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

This is pretty much a spot on versus review.

#32 4 years ago

Both are real good games. Metallica took awhile to mature with many thanks to Lyman. Deadpool appears to be headed in that same direction with its code team. Willing to bet DeadPool code isnt done yet.

To choose between the two i really cant as enjoy playing them both.

#33 4 years ago

DP also has Lil Deadpool cartoons.
&lt;cue disqualification buzzer&gt;

LOL...yeah that is definitely a qualifier. If you can't stand Lil DP, it would grate on you fast. Thankfully I appreciate the humor for what it is, but can understand some may not.

THE BALLS ARE LOOSE!

#34 4 years ago

Now you have both your balls!

#35 4 years ago

DP is 1 and MET is 1a for me. Have them both. It is like choosing between 2 hot girls....2 of my favorite steaks........2 vacation places...........I like DP a little bit more because of unique layout and 80s fighting game feel and love seeing him playing a DP pin......but MET is a photo finish 2nd.....music fits pinball perfectly and it is a bad ass game with a snake, electric chair, cool sounds like the drums with the spinner and fuel car sounds.

#36 4 years ago

I enjoy both games a lot, but only Deadpool is on my wishlist.

#37 4 years ago

Lars Ulrich clearly has multiple pinside accounts!

#38 4 years ago

Deadpool is a cool game. Really nice effort, and I can pretty easily say that at some point, I will own one. However... MET is the real shit. MET is a game I didn’t like when it came out. It just didn’t have “it”. It was kind of meh, so I ignored it for quite a long time. Then after some updating to the code, I tried it again, and WOW, what a difference. By this time the LED was out, and it was all around a much better game. So one day I was at a car show reading Pinside during lunch, and saw one local for a great price. I jumped all over it, and had it in my house that day. It quickly became one of my favorite games. It is just so much fun to play, and I actually love that you need to earn the good stuff. The pressure of CIU, and the despair of trying to double the jackpot, only to drain and lose it all. Or those games when you get all the lanes locked on and blo up he score hike getting back into CIU quickly. It’s a fantastic game that isn’t going anywhere.

Deadpool may reach that lofty status, but not all games do. MET for the win.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Deadpool is a cool game. Really nice effort, and I can pretty easily say that at some point, I will own one. However... MET is the real shit. MET is a game I didn’t like when it came out. It just didn’t have “it”. It was kind of meh, so I ignored it for quite a long time. Then after some updating to the code, I tried it again, and WOW, what a difference. By this time the LED was out, and it was all around a much better game. So one day I was at a car show reading Pinside during lunch, and saw one local for a great price. I jumped all over it, and had it in my house that day. It quickly became one of my favorite games. It is just so much fun to play, and I actually love that you need to earn the good stuff. The pressure of CIU, and the despair of trying to double the jackpot, only to drain and lose it all. Or those games when you get all the lanes locked on and blo up he score hike getting back into CIU quickly. It’s a fantastic game that isn’t going anywhere.

The metal ramps on MET Premium/LE are so satisfying to hit. I find the hammer kind of annoying though.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That game came from me, and MAN did it shoot well. One of the best playing games I've ever owned. One of the few I miss, but I'm glad to hear that you're still enjoying it.

I'm waiting on the delivery of a DP Premium today, so looking forward to weighing in. Met is an all-time great and total homerun. Interested in seeing how DP stacks up.

#41 4 years ago

Theme alone, MET kills it, DP not so much for me.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

The metal ramps on MET Premium/LE are so satisfying to hit. I find the hammer kind of annoying though.

Agree re: MET's ramps - very smooth and satisfying. LOVE the hammer action too though - so F'in cool!

#43 4 years ago

I don't care for met music so the theme doesn't do anything for me but boy is it fun to play! DP has a more unique layout and like the theme better. Id say both. I have neither

#44 4 years ago

MET is a complete game and a masterpiece. It is arguably Stern’s best pinball to date. DP is more approachable and simpler, yet is fantastic in so many ways. Either pin makes for a smart choice, but to answer your question - MET is best.

#45 4 years ago

I have both a DP Pro and a Metallica Premium. Both are great games for sure.

- Metallica Premium is borderline not worth the money IMO. The hammer is cool but more irritating than fun the more time you spend playing it (it kills the flow). The lower jaw on the snake is meh. The rising cross is nice though. Art package on the Pro is comparable to the premium.
- DP Premium just seems like a waste of money IMO. The added flow of the left/right orbit doesn't justify an additional $1,800.00 IMO and the art package on the pro is just as good as the premium and far superior when compared to the LE.
-- So Metallica Premium over Deadpool Premium.
- DP Pro vs. Metallica Pro is difficult but here it goes (and I realize I'm restating a lot of what was said above):
-- Both games are gorgeous. Zombie Yeti's best Vs. DD's best.
-- Both games over time feel like chopping wood when going for the wizard mode(s).
-- DP has a leg up because there is a bit more too it but it turns into the same thing over and over again. Beat the 3 villains, play Sauron, beat both quests, Megakraklasaurus-Rex, re-defeat the villains, trigger a mech-suit MB in there somewhere, and then the 2 wizard modes.
-- Metallica is very similar but less to it. The rules are simpler. Fill up your 4 shots types to qualify each of the 4 crank it ups (which get increasingly harder), play multiballs over and over again until you complete the 4 crank it ups to get to end of the line.
-- If you're playing for score (instead of Wizard Modes), I like the simplicity of Deadpool's SNIKT shot although that is also what can make it awful. Deadpool (for high score) is more of a smash and grab job vs. the finesse of knowing when to cash-in on multipliers and setup higher scoring crank it ups/end of the line in Metallica.

I'd give the nod to DP overall because it has a little more to it in the modes department, I appreciate the humor (lil' Deadpool gets irritating), and I'm a "bit" of a comic nerd.

If you're the kind of player looking to eek out high scores, I think Metallica is better because it requires more finesse and forethought.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

MET is a complete game and a masterpiece. It is arguably Stern’s best pinball to date. DP is more approachable and simpler, yet is fantastic in so many ways. Either pin makes for a smart choice, but to answer your question - MET is best.

I like MET a lot, but I don't quite get what about it makes it a "masterpiece". It is solid all around but doesn't excel in any one particular area, IMO.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I find the hammer kind of annoying though.

Totally disagree here. The hammer smashing the ball into the playfield is my favorite trick in the game. Anytime I have someone new over to play it and the hammer does its thing, they are always like "that's friggen cool". I think having the shaker and upgraded sound really adds to its effect. If you have neither, I can see how it may be slightly underwhelming.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Agree on both points there.

Metallica music... isn't terrible. CIU modes are fun, S&D is fun, Blackened is fun, stacking Coffin MB with stuff is really where MET shines IMHO.
Deadpool is a very fun game. Also has a satisfying ramp shot. I also like the bonus rules a lot. 80's arcade sounds are good as well.

For me, the big difference is what the game has to offer the single player in a collection, not the competitive player.

I find Deadpool to be a longer playing game that gets very monotonous in a 4 player group. Reminiscent of LOTR

With MET, I do NOT feel that way.

With a 1 player game, I find both (long playing) games are equally entertaining.

Layout and code are both very good on both machines. MET has more of an old school layout with inline drops and center toy (AFM,MM) and DP is more spread out.

I thinks it's great to have a favorite between the two but in my opinion, one machine is not "better" than the other UNLESS I'm playing in a 4 player game.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Totally disagree here. The hammer smashing the ball into the playfield is my favorite trick in the game. Anytime I have someone new over to play it and the hammer does its thing, they are always like "that's friggen cool". I think having the shaker and upgraded sound really adds to its effect. If you have neither, I can see how it may be slightly underwhelming.

The one I play has a shaker and color dmd. Of course the actual act of the hammer smashing the ball into the playfield is awesome... but for the other 99% of the time it just feels like it is in the way and interrupts the flow of the game.

#50 4 years ago

The one that isn't an overrated and over the hill "Metal" band.. also, Deadpool is way more fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-vs-met?hl=head_boss_hog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.