(Topic ID: 190486)

DP Values Your Advice on TBL - Vote Here!!

By RTR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should DP take the deal and move on down the road as a Pinball Company?”

• Take the deal!! 49% of a watermelon is better than 100% of a raisin!! 232 votes
    83%
  • Refuse the deal and try to retain 100% of your company, even if it delays TBL production for years. 47 votes
    17%

(279 votes)

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Well, according to the latest DP newsletter, they took an informal advice count from their current financial partners (those of us who have prepaid for the game or have a deposit) and TBL buyers overwhelmingly told them to not take on a willing and able financial backer to help DP get the TBL's completed and to continue on as a company.

I may have been absent that day, so I thought I would conduct a poll to see if I can reproduce the results. The basic facts are:

1. DP's contract manufacturer (ARA) has not been paid to their satisfaction. No one has seen the contract, so no one can say who is at fault.
2. DP has decided not to sue ARA and to not pay them as well.
3. ARA has halted production of the games, is sitting on about 50 completed games and lot of game parts that ARA has paid for.
4. ARA has offered a way out for DP in the form of an investment in DP's company. Although the management terms are unknown to us, we do know that ARA (and ARA's parent company) would own 51% of the company

So, DP asked a bunch of us if they should take the deal. As mentioned, a few of us were absent that day, perhaps playing a pinball machine that we paid for and actually possess, who knows?

#2 6 years ago

hmmm already have more than 2 or 3 in the 'take the deal' bucket. thats weird.

#3 6 years ago

Take the Deal!!!

#4 6 years ago

just gonna have to reiterate from another thread. When giving up control to an investor many milestones can be placed in the agreement so the 51% is retained ie shipping all 50 and completing and shipping the remainder of the 300 or whatever number is owed. They are lying to us all when they say all but a handful worry about their future rather than the money they owe us. What a crock of shite

#5 6 years ago

oh look they are liars. 9 for 9 say make a deal go fing figure. Once a liar always a liar. DP you are dead in the pinball world

#7 6 years ago

They crafted that letter to express what was in their own heads. And it shows what amateurs they are when it comes to the business side of this. They really need help and don't recognize it. If they would take the deal, it could make them 20x more successful than they would be on their own.

Frankly, I was a little surprised it was offered at 49%.

#8 6 years ago

Wow, 2 votes to refuse the deal. One was certainly eggbert, hoping to prop up his TBL value, lol.

#9 6 years ago

I agree, but then again, how tough are contract laws in Holland? Also it's tough to give up your company. It was ARA's numbers that they crunched to get them to offer the game at that price, now they changed the numbers and want 51% of the company. Either way, I wonder if they know how close to death they are.....DP is now tainted no one will ever pre-pay for anything they'll try to sell in the future. So I hope they take all of this into account.

#10 6 years ago

So...DP is full of shit! Thanks so much for speaking for us, but not allowing us an actual vote. If you represent us, why didn't we have a say. Oh, according to DP we did, and they spoke about trying to do what we'd want.

#11 6 years ago

It's tough to give part of your company when your company is doing well and you have the world by the tail.

It's a little easier when your company is on the rocks and you have negative cash flow, but have a willing investor.

#12 6 years ago

We all know who will vote to not take a well executed deal which obviously DP is incapable of making. They have already lied and never asked anyone they knew would want them to worry about investors first rather then their own personal future gains. Give your heads a shake these guys need to be put down. Lies and no business sense what combination is worse than this?

#13 6 years ago

Take the deal and complete the paid orders. Then retire from pinball or if they really want to then try and open a new company on their own again.

#14 6 years ago

Hey - for the record - I am for DP taking the deal and continuing on as the creative part of a fully functioning pinball company.

#15 6 years ago

Holy cow, 25 votes for Take The Deal - how can that be?

#16 6 years ago

hmmmm "It really is great to see that the majority of you guys keep supporting us. We will get you your TBL!"

#17 6 years ago

I take personal offense to the claim that the only ones who want to take the deal are those who are selfish and just want their games. I think taking the deal was the only way all games would get built for everyone.

#18 6 years ago

We will let this run a couple days and I will shoot the link to Barry and Jaap.

I am sure they will want to know what everyone thinks and allow it to guide their decision making process.

#19 6 years ago

"I take personal offense to the claim that the only ones who want to take the deal are those who are selfish and just want their games. I think taking the deal was the only way all games would get built for everyone."

That's EXACTLY how I feel. I'm supposed to feel guilty after reading that because I care about getting my machine? F them!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

We will let this run a couple days and I will shoot the link to Barry and Jaap.
I am sure they will want to know what everyone thinks and allow it to guide their decision making process.

Unfortunately, anyone can vote...not just TBL customers....but yeah, I think their whole "2 or 3 people wanted us to take the deal" line was BS. Perhaps only that many EMAILED them, though....I don't think they're reading Pinside.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Unfortunately, anyone can vote...not just TBL customers....but yeah, I think their whole "2 or 3 people wanted us to take the deal" line was BS. Perhaps only that many EMAILED them, though....I don't think they're reading Pinside.

Voting on pinside isn't a perfect science, but DP didn't take a poll anyway. They just say what they want to say.

And besides that, even those with no skin in the game can look at the situation and have an opinion. I didn't set the poll and the narrative to slant this in one direction or the other.

#23 6 years ago

To Rarehero's point, maybe emails directly to Barry and Jaap letting them know exactly how you feel about things could be helpful. Here is mine:

Hi Barry,

I am just touching base to let you know that I may not be on the email
list for some reason. Apparently a newsletter dropped this morning
and I did not receive it. just saw someone post it on Pinside.
Please ensure I remain on the list.

In your letter, you stated that the opinions of your current financial
backers - and in case you have forgotten who that is, it us us, we, uh
not just the royal we - but specifically the early achievers. I guess
we could include all those with deposits with CT and others - were
also important in your decision making process to reject ARA's offer.

Well, frankly that surprised me. Personally I wish that you would
accept an offer from ARA and their parent company, even if you lose a
controlling interest in your company. I believe it is one of the only
ways that you guys will have a long term survival prospect and may be
able to get past this horrible predicament that you are in and
possibly produce more games in the future.

I also know that a lot more than 2 or 3 people share this opinion.
So, since our opinions are important to you, I decided to conduct a
poll regarding this. And since our opinions are so important, I am
sharing the poll with you:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-values-your-advice-on-tbl-vote-here#post-3799848

Again, I am pretty upset with you guys. I think you have ways to get
this moving and you are not taking advantage of it. You are putting
your own personal wellbeing and wishes in front of the people that
have supported you all along and in a most undude-like manner. I also
believe that if you do not work through this soon, you will run out of
money and options. Then you will have no company at all. I sincerely
hope that is not how it ends.

Regards,

Mike Hoover
334-xxx-xxxx

#24 6 years ago

I am Early Achiever #84 meaning my machine is sitting there being held hostage and collecting dust. DP has delusions of grandeur as if they are trying to catch the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I hate to burst your bubble DP, but the longer you look for that pot of gold, it causes the perspective to continued to change... Take the f*cking deal and move on with your life...a bird in your hand is better than nothing at all!!!

#25 6 years ago

I just wish they would admit they are out of money. The lies have not stopped, But they are getting more creative with them.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Holy cow, 25 votes for Take The Deal - how can that be?

Because the poll is open to every person on pinside, not just people who paid for a BL?

#27 6 years ago

I fail to see how they stay open if they don't take this deal.

#28 6 years ago

These idiots need a Pinside poll to figure it out! Lol

Billy is right, they have NOTHING. 100% of ZERO is F ing ZERO

I assume they can't pay for a competent advisor or they are using whatever game funds are left to lawyer up

I don't get why anybody would want to partner with them under any circumstances but I hope for you guys ARA is dumb enough to try

#29 6 years ago

Take the deal , not just to fulfill games owed but to save yourself of a long road of scrutiny and mental anguish.

If you were smart enough you would not be in this position

ARA is offering a bailout and need control to make this happen, they need to get paid as well as other parties involved.

ARA must devote a timeline for where ALL TBL 's are manufactured by!!

If it takes them 2 years then don't make the deal , capiche!!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

... and TBL buyers overwhelmingly told them to not take on a willing and able financial backer to help DP get the TBL's completed and to continue on as a company.

Don't take this personal, but I find it odd that you indicate not knowing the terms of the deal, yet you mention a willing and able financial backer. Newsflash: Nivoge isn't going to pump money into DP, they want to take money out! Once they own 51% of DP that clears the way to alter any existing contract to their liking, raising prices in their favor, yet all of this without guaranteeing anything.

Read that again: no guarantees! Would you sign away ownership of your company to a company that comes with a shady construction for a takeover, have a them set their own prices, plunder your bank account and not have to do anything in return? I don't think so. So why should DP? Why would you tell anyone without any inside info to take a deal you wouldn't take yourself?

But let's just look at the other scenario for a second: Let's say DP signs away 51% of their company because a bunch of people with no inside info tell them they should do so. Yeey! You think that will get you your game? Think again. Nivoge is likely to use DP to pump some money into ARA, so they cover their costs, but production of TBL doesn't restart. Not that they care. They got their money and will drop DP like it's hot. Call it a tax write-off or whatever. Net result: nobody gets their game and there's nothing Barry and Jaap can do about it. Then everybody who's now saying they should take the deal will be whining they should have never taken the deal. Let's say you take it even further: you sue DP. They will say, "we did what you told us to do. Don't like the result? Talk to Nivoge." Nivoge will say the game turned out to be too expensive to build and once the money from DP ran out they quit building the game. Net result: no new games. At best maybe the hostage games get released, but that's it. So how does that sound to you? Should they really take that deal? Is that improving your situation?

As far as I can tell DP does have a very strong case against ARA for breach of contract, so I would advise them to take that route. First thing any judge will do is ask whether they tried to work things out. "Well your honor, we did and this is what they offered." I'm pretty sure that will raise some eyebrows in court, so in that sense it's a good thing this happened. Any judge is likely to rule in DP's favor and order ARA to continue to build and deliver the games confirm the original contract. So it will take more time, but there will be games. In the mean time DP may already start production of games with another contract manufacturer = games being made. So not taking the offered deal seems by far still the best option.

#31 6 years ago

That's well said !!
But is DP smart enough ??

How did they get to this point I say
And how will they not get screwed by another manufacturer ?

Take the route to the Dutch courts if that's the case , but how much that will cost?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

In the mean time DP may already start production of games with another contract manufacturer = games being made.

Where's the money going to come from to remake all the parts and games that are already sitting there at ARA?

#33 6 years ago

Um, there's a bank account to plunder?

#34 6 years ago

unigroove - First of all, I don't know who is shady. I haven't seen emails, contracts or any other details. All we have see is what DP decides to share, which is magically all in their favor - they have made zero mistakes. I just know that I sent $8500 to some guys a few years ago and they haven't delivered a machine to me yet. And guess what - my deal is with DP, not ARA.

If DP is so confident in their lawsuit, then by all means, let it rip. Go for it. Just do it. Giddy-up. Getrdone. Insert dutch phrase for stop talking' and start walking'. I am sure that judge that is itching to see things in DP's favor just needs the case in front of him.

If DP has enough money to keep this ball rolling, then share the finances with us. FFS, its our money they are supposedly sitting on! Showing a positive financial position would settle a lot of this down.

The point of this exercise Unigroove, is to show that DP is not listening to to us. Their dumbass newsletter was insulting to the people that have been patient and supportive. Saying that only 2 or 3 people are for cutting a deal to get their machines is ludicrous. They just made that shit up.

Anyone on this thread that has the tiniest amount of business experience can tell that DP is over their head and needs some fucking help on the business side of things. They need a partner, an investor, someone that can handle shit like this and prevent it from happening in the first place. They are great at pinball design and creativity, but they suck at executing. Its just true.

#35 6 years ago

I want DP to take this deal because it's going to be easier for me to sue and recover from NiVoGe vs. a defunct DP.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Once they own 51% of DP that clears the way to alter any existing contract to their liking

This one has me confused... Perhaps the laws are different. In the USA, if I acquire 51% of a company I get 51% of both the assets and the liabilities. To be sure, some contracts contain clauses dealing with change of ownership; however, I would bet that is not the case with the contracts people have with DP for their games. (And, by the way, those clauses are always written for the protection of the party not having the change of ownership). Again, in the USA, DP/ARA would still be bound by the original terms of the agreement. Could they try to renegotiate an existing agreement? Sure, but any company at any time can try to do that. I feel I must be missing something here. I'm not trolling, can someone explain this to me?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Don't take this personal, but I find it odd that you indicate not knowing the terms of the deal, yet you mention a willing and able financial backer. Newsflash: Nivoge isn't going to pump money into DP, they want to take money out! Once they own 51% of DP that clears the way to alter any existing contract to their liking, raising prices in their favor, yet all of this without guaranteeing anything.
Read that again: no guarantees! Would you sign away ownership of your company to a company that comes with a shady construction for a takeover, have a them set their own prices, plunder your bank account and not have to do anything in return? I don't think so. So why should DP? Why would you tell anyone without any inside info to take a deal you wouldn't take yourself?
But let's just look at the other scenario for a second: Let's say DP signs away 51% of their company because a bunch of people with no inside info tell them they should do so. Yeey! You think that will get you your game? Think again. Nivoge is likely to use DP to pump some money into ARA, so they cover their costs, but production of TBL doesn't restart. Not that they care. They got their money and will drop DP like it's hot. Call it a tax write-off or whatever. Net result: nobody gets their game and there's nothing Barry and Jaap can do about it. Then everybody who's now saying they should take the deal will be whining they should have never taken the deal. Let's say you take it even further: you sue DP. They will say, "we did what you told us to do. Don't like the result? Talk to Nivoge." Nivoge will say the game turned out to be too expensive to build and once the money from DP ran out they quit building the game. Net result: no new games. At best maybe the hostage games get released, but that's it. So how does that sound to you? Should they really take that deal? Is that improving your situation?
As far as I can tell DP does have a very strong case against ARA for breach of contract, so I would advise them to take that route. First thing any judge will do is ask whether they tried to work things out. "Well your honor, we did and this is what they offered." I'm pretty sure that will raise some eyebrows in court, so in that sense it's a good thing this happened. Any judge is likely to rule in DP's favor and order ARA to continue to build and deliver the games confirm the original contract. So it will take more time, but there will be games. In the mean time DP may already start production of games with another contract manufacturer = games being made. So not taking the offered deal seems by far still the best option.

I don't think anyone with any semblance of sense was just asking them to sign away 51%, though quite a few have indeed called for it. Certainly I assumed that there would be some kind of broad agreement with provisos and guarantees for both parties, to try to make the entity (DP) work.

But you seem to be saying that the former was exactly what was tabled? You also sound angry, like they (Jaap?) did.

You obviously know Barry & Jaap well, and have your ear to the ground in NL generally.

Was it literally just a transfer of equity? No guarantees about production? No terms about the future? I find that difficult to believe, as it would be tantamount to trolling ... give them the shares, and then have faith that something will happen?

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

This one has me confused... Perhaps the laws are different. In the USA, if I acquire 51% of a company I get 51% of both the assets and the liabilities. To be sure, some contracts contain clauses dealing with change of ownership; however, I would bet that is not the case with the contracts people have with DP for their games. (And, by the way, those clauses are always written for the protection of the party not having the change of ownership). Again, in the USA, DP/ARA would still be bound by the original terms of the agreement. Could they try to renegotiate an existing agreement? Sure, but any company at any time can try to do that. I feel I must be missing something here. I'm not trolling, can someone explain this to me?

It's really not that difficult. Once Nivoge owns 51% of DP, they can "renegotiate" the original contract because ARA still wants more money. So ARA could set the price at what they want, throw in any imaginary expense they feel like and DP's new owners will happily approve and pay with EA's money. Nothing Barry and Jaap can do about it as they would be a minority. Chances are that would release the hostage games, as these would be paid for, but still no guarantee that production will resume.

#39 6 years ago

And further risk is that Nivoge, after the deal is done, making enormous (fake) investments that Barry and Jaap are forced to follow suit.
This is not a friendly take over, or a financial injection from a pinloving investor, so you can't rule anything out.

#40 6 years ago

I didn't vote because I am not an Early Achiever. I just have a deposit but I think they should take the deal.

#41 6 years ago

DP needs to fight it out through the courts ASAP with ARA

The "positive" meetings they had seem like entrapment now.

DP boys , get your head out .....
Get a good Lawyer , now !!!!!

#42 6 years ago

Remember when pinball was fun?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

But let's just look at the other scenario for a second: Let's say DP signs away 51% of their company because a bunch of people with no inside info tell them they should do so. Yeey! You think that will get you your game? Think again. Nivoge is likely to use DP to pump some money into ARA, so they cover their costs, but production of TBL doesn't restart. Not that they care. They got their money and will drop DP like it's hot. Call it a tax write-off or whatever. Net result: nobody gets their game and there's nothing Barry and Jaap can do about it.

Barry and Jaap would have horrendous legal counsel if they didn't protect against that in the 51% transfer agreement. The consideration for the transfer has to be getting the ordered machines completed, if they can't get that clause into the agreement then I would question their legal counsel's competency or ARA's willingness to actually do the deal at all (because it's more of a blow off if they won't make the consideration the completion of the ordered games).

#44 6 years ago

I'm not sure if they know where they're at. By that I mean the DP name is damaged, if their future biz model requires buyers putting money down then they're delusional. This will never happen. If they don't need future deposits then then OK they can fight it out in court. Either way the DP name is dinged. I will go on the limb and say DP's future as a pinball company is at best questionable now. So if the pre-pay model for them is dead then the only way forward is to find an investor like JJP and Heighway.

#45 6 years ago

If DP places value on what Pinside has to say, no wonder they are in deep trouble.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Barry and Jaap would have horrendous legal counsel if they didn't protect against that in the 51% transfer agreement. The consideration for the transfer has to be getting the ordered machines completed, if they can't get that clause into the agreement then I would question their legal counsel's competency or ARA's willingness to actually do the deal at all (because it's more of a blow off if they won't make the consideration the completion of the ordered games).

I question whether they really tried to negotiate a deal or not. Their arguments make no sense.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

It's really not that difficult. Once Nivoge owns 51% of DP, they can "renegotiate" the original contract because ARA still wants more money.

Thanks. Clearly the law is radically different than it is in the USA. Here, a change in a company's ownership has no impact on the contractual obligations of that company. I can't imagine how this could work differently. Say I start a company with my brother to build an apartment. He owns 51%, I own 49%. After six months, we want more money so he sells 2% to me, so now I own 51 and he owns 49. Suddenly, all contracts are null and void and can be renegotiated? So we renegotiate for better terms. Six months go by and I sell 2% back to my brother and all contracts are null and void? Obviously, this is taking an example to the absurd.

This is why, in the USA, many acquisitions are are pure asset deals with the liabilities left behind. Anyhow, good to know that things are substantially different in the Netherlands

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Because the poll is open to every person on pinside, not just people who paid for a BL?

DP said in their insulting letter to us that only 2 or 3 buyers want them to take a deal.

Even though anyone can vote in the poll, I think it's obvious that more people than just me and Rarehero want them to have a financial partner.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

DP said in their insulting letter to us that only 2 or 3 buyers want them to take a deal.
Even though anyone can vote in the poll, I think it's obvious that more people than just me and Rarehero want them to have a financial partner.

So what does that tell you?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Thanks. Clearly the law is radically different than it is in the USA. Here, a change in a company's ownership has no impact on the contractual obligations of that company. I can't imagine how this could work differently. Say I start a company with my brother to build an apartment. He owns 51%, I own 49%. After six months, we want more money so he sells 2% to me, so now I own 51 and he owns 49. Suddenly, all contracts are null and void and can be renegotiated? So we renegotiate for better terms. Six months go by and I sell 2% back to my brother and all contracts are null and void? Obviously, this is taking an example to the absurd.
This is why, in the USA, many acquisitions are are pure asset deals with the liabilities left behind. Anyhow, good to know that things are substantially different in the Netherlands

Dude, don't fall for DP's misinformation or Unigroove's well meaning, but unresearched, parroting of DP's position. Companies don't ditch their obligations by selling themselves in the Netherlands.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-values-your-advice-on-tbl-vote-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.