image.jpg
tumblr_n5b3mkHQ3s1rx3q30o1_500.gif
Alaska-Marijuana.jpg
hell-freezes-over.jpg
image.jpg
Glowing rock pop.jpg
image.jpg
JeffBridges_TBL.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Stern has never produced anything like these TBL prototypes. Bowen has never made a video that captures the essence of a pinball machine before.. because there was no reason to. Look at his sh*t eating grin in the first few minutes of the video including rolling a strike! To think that Barry and Jaap who struck gold are going to let it all slip away is insane. This game has received the most press ever and somehow Universal is clueless as to what is going on with the license?
http://papa.org/2014/12/12/big-lebowski-pinball-machine-by-dutch-pinball/

No one outside of the pinball community knows there's a Big Lebowski pinball machine. They don't read internet forums all day at the Universal licensing offices. But by doing that launch party, and by getting published in the local newspaper in Europe, they certainly are risking trouble if they haven't received the go-ahead to advertise the game and all its assets.

If what Phil says is true (and I have no stake in the game anyways so I have no idea who to believe), then it sort of shows why Stern games are tame in their artwork. They can only work with movie assets pre-approved by the studios. And those studios don't want to go back to the actors and re-negotiate.

And I'm not surprised how strict the licensors are. Does anyone remember how awful the Sandra Bullock image was on Demolition Man? Or how hard the Pinball Arcade has been working to get The Addams Family Pinball virtualized?

#335 9 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Universal isn't going to walk away from royalty/licensing revenue, especially on an older property such as this one.

This is probably very wrong. If Universal does something that pisses off actors, directors, intellectual property holders they work with, it could cost the millions in movies not made, or lawsuits against them. The pinball licenses are likely very small dollar amounts (I read somewhere, but don't quote me, that the license cost is around $50K for a movie based game for Stern). Universal or any other media company would gladly protect themselves by leaving money on the table if they think a deal would potentially hurt them.

#754 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I think you can... and I think they did... It might not be strictly legal, but if no-one notices it might not such a big problem if the issues are sorted out before the game hits production...

Wow. No, you can't. If you build a product based on a license and show it off before have gotten 100% sign off you risk being sued for millions of dollars. How would all those prepayers feel if their funds were used not for bulidng pinball machines but instead for lawyers defending a lawsuit or as settlement for a lawsuit? This is why Stern does not preannouce games. There is so much at risk. They quite simply should not have accepted dollar one until they had 100% approval on a final design. End of story.

#1778 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

You can't just quit a company in which you are a partial owner.

True, but if I owned 1/3rd of a company and a partner was willing to surrender his 1/3rd FOR FREE TO ME, I would take over his portion of the company if I thought the company is a profitable, going concern. The only reason I wouldn't take it is if the company ownership is actually a liability and I think the thing is going tits up. Phil's story, if true, is that he invested $100,000 into the company and wanted to leave without recouping any of that money. How is that not a dream scenario for Barry and Jaap?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

15,000 (OBO)
$ 210.00
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-usa-refund-still-want-the-game?tu=richthofen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.