Topic Stats

• 3,821 posts
  • 422 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 240 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

did i miss it.gif
image.jpg
2015 LFLA Poster.jpg
J.jpg
image.jpg
Rug.jpg
dude-bathtub.png
IMG_3535.JPG
image.jpg
tumblr_n5b3mkHQ3s1rx3q30o1_500.gif
Alaska-Marijuana.jpg
hell-freezes-over.jpg
image.jpg
Glowing rock pop.jpg
image.jpg
JeffBridges_TBL.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#317 5 years ago
Quoted from bajapanda:

I wouldn't expect them to address the accusations individually but ...

Really? I'd think given the circumstances, DP would want to do a full point-by-point response if they're hoping to get back the pre-orders they just lost, and avoid additional cancellations.

#417 5 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

I tried to tell everyone ages ago about "pre-orders" for items like this, so unless you have a small deposit in it....licensing is no joke...how was this not licensed? Anyone that thinks it is ok for copyright infringement (if this is indeed the problem) really needs to get their priorities straight. This was at a huge pinball show. Rich people have pinballs. Do people think this would not get back to Universal???

From all the comments here, it doesn't sound like The Big Lebowski is "not licensed" exactly. It sounds like DP got the license, but then at least from Phil's perspective took actions (like showing and advertising unapproved designs) that seriously imperiled the license. I'm less clear from the posts here if that issue is ongoing (i.e. if the design DP is currently showing publicly has been OK'd by Universal).

I agree that if you're going to make a licensed game, your top priority has to be keeping the licensor happy enough that they don't pull the license. If that happens, you're totally hosed. I doubt retheming this game as "The Big Brunswick" would work out well for anyone.

#1472 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If I'm Barry or Jaap, at this point Id not be sure how to even communicate with Phil. They can't trust him with a written correspondence of any kind (no letter, text, or email) and I can't imagine they want to talk to him...
A lot of people have commented on Phil's level of professionalism in how he handled this matter, my question is more along the lines of how good is Barry's and Jaap's judgement in bringing him in to begin with. At some point, they not only selected him as a partner but gave him broad monetary controls and authority, he was (in fact) their mouth piece.
Did DP exercise good judgment in partnering with Phil? I'm not giving my opinion on that either way...but I certainly have one.

Oh, I think you're giving your opinion!

#2111 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Phil acted like kind of a jack-wagon here

Quoted from RTS:

The first and underlying issue is that Phil was an absolute jack-wagon

What I want to know is where the hell did "jack wagon" come from? Is it a retro insult lifted from Deadwood, or a substitute curse for the prudish? Either way, it sounds ridiculous.

Also, Dude, "jack wagon" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Human paraquat," please.

2 weeks later
#2610 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

No I never said to base it on pre alpha expo code.
I'm saying the game isn't going to be super deep (based on people that directly talked with Barry ) So I just can't justify the money on visual bling and Jesus, Goodman, Dude quotes to carry it if the game gets old quick. That's a chunk of change to listen to a soundtrack of music.

Not sure how anyone not working on the code could asses the depth of code at this state in development (did Barry tell some they were aiming for "shallow code"? - seems unlikely). But sounds like you should just wait to play it before deciding.

1 week later
#2809 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I take from this that Phil is still needing to be convinced they are doing right by the license... i.e., showing the game in public even though the play-field is not finally approved.

We're all guessing of course, but I doubt Phil is calling the shots on this -- presumably this would reflect advice/direction they're taking from Roger Sharpe?

#2943 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I think if anyone on here got a refund there would be a flurry of information... so all I can advise is that no news means no refunds.

I think you're being trolled. It's like hopping into a thread for family of the passengers on the missing AirAsia and saying "Hey guys, they find that plane yet?" If they found it, you'd hear about it.

#3020 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I going to hit an ATM!

I'm just gonna go find a cash machine ...

1 week later
#3088 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Lmao, and you call other people dumb?

Plungemaster, your posts should probably have been described as "obtuse" instead of "dumb."

#3099 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I am trying to get the topic back on the pin itself.

But why try to do that in a thread titled "DP USA Refund"? People talking about refunds (and DP's failure to honor its promise to provide refunds upon request) belong in this thread. General discussion about the game and its development would fit better in one of the other TBL threads (which you could help revive, since all the TBL talk for the past few months seems to have been about the DP USA catastrophe).

1 week later
#3249 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Perhaps the 'old' faces look difference because they're lit and you're seeing the texture of the inserts that they're screened on?

I was wondering this too. But I agree with Aurich that based on the pics alone, the character photos stand out more now from the hand-drawn art than they did in the original playfield design. Bummer, but that's the deal when you work under a license.

Removal of the pot leaf is no biggie to me and probably even an aesthetic improvement. A smoldering joint would have made much more sense (and would be missed). The stylized pot leaf has more of a late 70s feel to me, and The Dude definitely still has one foot in 1969. It's an iconic image, but just doesn't quite work with The Dude's character (he's a fan of the stuff, but it's not like he would ever wear a pot leaf t-shirt). Now if we were talking about a Dazed and Confused pin, you'd need that leaf!

Swapping the gun for the crowbar next to Larry's car seems like an improvement to me -- a useful visual cue to remind you why the car is on the playfield at all.

And I agree that the dream-sequence bowling ladies look better now.

#3250 4 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Ozno...this is Don. Please pm me your information, I will personally handle your refund request when we are authorized to do so. In your PM please supply me with your Name and order number.

Quoted from RobT:

So you are this Don I assume:
"Don brings 25 years of experience in risk management and policy holder retention. In the service industry, customer service is the trade. Don has a no-nonsense approach to customer service and operations. Being a Pinhead since the age of 14, he is excited to join the Dutch Pinball team."

This already looks like a very positive development on the PR/communications front.

#3364 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I simply cannot explain it. Here is Rick, finally at his freaking moment of triumph. All the delays and doubts and bullshit, and he has photos of Medieval F-ing Madness remakes on the line, and he's furious that someone posted them where all his customers (and potential customers) could see them.
Then after he seems to wise up and let it go days later he starts emailing me again, and tried to call me.

I've seen Rick shoot himself in the foot on the PR front many times over the last year, but continuing to send you hostile emails after announcing on the forum that he's over the photo reposting thing just seems nuts. I wonder if Stern does contract PR work in addition to manufacturing ...

But back on topic, DP having a dedicated PR person makes good sense, and I hope the last couple months of gaffes lead them (and their customers) to a better place communications-wise.

1 week later
#3402 4 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Anyone else who got their refund waiting till they are told they will lose their rug/chrome/price deal if they don't pay by a certain date? I am still in but not really wanting to put my money back in till we get some solid information.

It seems pretty unlikely that they'd kick you out of your preorder slot without a "final warning" of some kind, so why not wait until they make an announcement about that (or contact you personally) before putting your money back in?

#3404 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I'm confused what the thought is here. Are people expecting they can request a refund of their money, get it refunded, then jump back in later and maintain their spot in line if they so choose? I would not ever think that is an option, you are either in or out. Obviously they have to announce things are "back to normal" but I never thought there would be an option for requesting money back in their hands and just assuming they get right back in line later if they decide. DP needs commitments of people that are staying in I would think? Maybe I misunderstood what the thought was here?

Yeah I wasn't referring to people that requested and received refunds (as far as I can tell, that's a pretty small pool at the moment, though hopefully growing as more refunds are sent out). I meant people that received unrequested refunds from Phil but did not immediately pay their money back in, which is how I interpreted Troutfarm's post. My hunch is they would give people in that category a last chance to buy back in and maintain their spot/bonuses (in order to get as many of those folks back on board as possible). But it is just a hunch ...

#3546 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not sure about the pinballnazi stuff, haven't seen any independent verification of that yet. Not sure what the communication was between Barry and the requesters. Could some of it warrant a refusal of service? Sure it could, but would have to be extreme I guess.

Exactly. If this is for a select few refund-requesting customers they felt were over the line or abusive in some way I get why they might choose not to do further business with those individuals. But DP put their customers in a pretty extreme situation, so the behavior would have to be pretty extreme to rationally justify refusing them the right to return (at the back of the line, of course). If this is DP's policy across the board then as Aurich eloquently stated above, it makes zero sense.

#3626 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It's funny to watch stoners take up 366 Terabytes of bandwidth on a game that more than likely will never see the light of day.

Return of the human paraquat!

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Shocking coming from someone in Colorado. Paraquat kills weeds including marijuana. I'll take it as a compliment.

Have you ever seen The Big Lebowski?

#3635 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Yes. But, I don't memorize every line like most of the people in this thread probably do.

Well I've heard marijuana use can lead to short term memory loss, so maybe you should try watching it straight next time.

#3714 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It's amazing that you guys press the tilt function for boobies because God forbid your kids are in the room and yet you let the illegal marijuana pictures run wild with no opposition. Nice parenting.

Do you have a thread going with other choice parenting advice? Head over there and we'll all follow you ... later.

#3740 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Poster for upcoming Lebowski Fest LA. Perhaps a sign that a spinner mod is "written in the stars"?
2015 LFLA Poster.jpg 58 KB

That's incredible -- thanks for sharing!

#3744 4 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

The site was updated today. Tilts are gone.

But replaced by "unsafe" tags of some sort (I've seen the tag, but don't see that users can apply them so maybe they're just for mods?)

#3747 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's the little (!) in the lower right of images.

Makes sense, so you can only "tilt" pictures now not posts. Probably saves the mods some hassle with people troll-tilting.

#3761 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

First, who "likes" this thread.. ??? If you do, you like watching car accidents so i personally suggest you stick to the Predator or jpop threads as those fires are still burning.
Re: quotes: I think this is a poor thread to be the TBL "primary" thread, that's all I'm saying.. trying to nudge sure Especially since a good number of people have it drained so talking about cool mods and stuff for the game probably should go some where else.
My comment this morning was only to mark that the entire thread has come to a logical conclusion.. (or if someone still feels unresolved, prompt them to speak up). If people still want to chat about stuff here, so be it I guess..

Makes sense to me -- if everyone that requested refunds got them, now's probably a reasonable time for OP to ask to have the thread closed. General discussion can continue in one of the several other TBL threads.

#3768 4 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I doubt the game is gonna happen, sad to say that, but it appears it's hard to make a pinball when it involves a license.

Who knows until they ship, of course. But why so pessimistic now? Unless I'm misreading this thread, all refunds have been granted suggesting the financial snafu has finally cleared up (or cleared up enough for them to proceed, anyway). And I think they've quoted Roger Sharpe as saying the licensing is squared away with the latest redesign.

Now they just have to do the "easy" part and make some pinball machines!

#3798 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

As for enjoying the forum, that's a debatable comment as well. People enjoy different things.

Take eggbert52, for example, whose insatiable lust for weed keeps drawing him back to this thread. Different smokes for different folks, am I right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Francisco, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
€ 3.70
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside