image.jpg
tumblr_n5b3mkHQ3s1rx3q30o1_500.gif
Alaska-Marijuana.jpg
hell-freezes-over.jpg
image.jpg
Glowing rock pop.jpg
image.jpg
JeffBridges_TBL.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#959 9 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I'm pretty sure if DP tanks, there will be a few pinsiders that are thankful for getting their unrequested refunds.

Those of you who have already rec'd a refund may wish to educate yourself on the US Bankruptcy laws regarding "preferences" and "preferential payments". If DP US goes this route in the next 90 days, it's quite possible you will all receive a polite request from the Court to return that money to be equally split among all creditors. I would not be fanning the fire at this point just because I've received a refund, because you are not out of the woods yet.

Hope it works out for all parties involved.

#1213 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

BoPv2 is an InsertMedia product, and NEITHER a DP-BV nor DP-USA product?

And TBL money, deposited with DP-BV or DP-USA, was being used to float an InsertMedia product (via its "DP" subsidiary, not a part of either "DP-BV" nor "DP-USA?")????

And that InsertMedia is PRIVATELY OWNED by Barry?

Is that true?
If so, that's a BIG problem, right?

Not necessarily, assuming the transfer of funds was approved by the appropriate parties (i.e. the 2 out of 3 shareholder votes mentioned earlier). It's really an accounting issue - DP books an account receivable & InsertMedia books a corresponding liability. It's the accounting and keeping track of where the money comes from that's important from the perspective of good business management. If it never gets paid back, DP claims a loss and IM claims it as income.

The concepts of "fraud", "theft", etc. aren't really pertinent to this conversation since it IS their money to do with as they please (as hard as that is for those who put deposits down to accept that). Again, as long as DP appropriately approved the transfer (if the 3rd shareholder misappropriated the funds without proper authority, that's another story).

And also remember this is a privately held company. Whatever they do isn't designed to influence the share price and it doesn't result in inaccurate financial reports to shareholders/the world. So it's hard to find a scenario where use of the word "fraud" is appropriate, at least at this point in time. Tax liabilities/implications, sure. But there are perfectly legal ways for them to share funds between companies.

#1227 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

But InsertMedia would still be required to put the money BACK into the DP-BV and DP-US entities for the purposes of their products (to date, only TBL), right? One couldn't simply channel money from DP-BV/-US to InsertMedia without expecting some recompensation back into DP-BV/-US, right?

Depends on what the shareholders agree to. There's no obligation for them to do so, as long as they account for it properly on their taxes (and I have no knowledge of Dutch tax laws).

Realistically, DP could take 100% of the deposit money and loan/give it to anybody else for any reason they want. It only becomes a problem if they fail to deliver the product that you've paid for......

#1307 9 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Why though? They are incorporated. The first thing that should have been done following that is applying for a EIN so that no one is doing anything under their personal SSN.

Since everybody else is tossing about theories and conjecture, I'll join in. Makes the work day go faster.

- There's no evidence out there that Dutch Pinball US (or DP USA) or anything remotely similar to that exists as a legal entity. I think it's just a d/b/a of the parent Dutch company (which is a privately held, limited liability entity with 3 partners).
- Maybe that's why it's difficult/impossible to just "dissolve" the USA entity - it doesn't exist as a standalone company. Is simply a USA marketing name to attach a paypal account to.
- One of Phil's jobs, since he has a US SSN, was to set up the US paypal account.
- As the end of the tax year approaches, Phil freaks out about the inevitable Form 1099 that he is going to be receiving in the mail with his SSN attached to it. (for you non-USA folks, that the snitch report that Paypal will send to the IRS to make sure you don't cheat on your taxes)

If the accounting systems are really messed up, I guess this would tend to freak me out also. International tax laws are messy - that's probably why they just went with opening the account with a SSN instead of a tax ID #. More shortcuts that complicate matters.

All just unfounded speculation in my head, but it did help me to kill 10 minutes at work.

#1593 9 years ago
Quoted from Cenobyte:

If YOU believe this totally irresponsible way is the way to go into any business then I applaud you, but I think you're playing Russian roulette with your life...

Off topic, but this cracks me up. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know. What CPR is suggesting is basically the *only* way any small business has been started in North America in the past 200 years (up until the recent past). It's called entrepreneurialship. No guts, no glory. You want the reward? Take the risk.

It's also the reason that 99.9% of people in the USA are "employees", rather than "business owners". Employees assume none of the risks, but expect none of the rewards.

Capital (cash, 2nd mortgage, personal financial guaranty, etc.) has always been the barrier to starting new businesses. This new model is just crazy.

Edit to acknowledge maybe DP does have skin in the game. If so, guess they are "totally irresponsible" too.

#2018 9 years ago

In other words, "it's out of our hands, we wish you good luck".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colts Neck, NJ
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-usa-refund-still-want-the-game?tu=examiner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.