tumblr_n5b3mkHQ3s1rx3q30o1_500.gif
Alaska-Marijuana.jpg
hell-freezes-over.jpg
image.jpg
Glowing rock pop.jpg
image.jpg
JeffBridges_TBL.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 3,821 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 77.
#251 9 years ago

Phil please, if I'm understanding this right, To move the funds from u to dp it needs to be done by first issuing refunds...?

Please please answer.

Rod

#252 9 years ago

This guy sure will sleep better tonight...

#253 9 years ago

Man, I'm sorry to see the drama bomb having to explode like this. Most of this isn't news to me, it's probably clear now why I had so many concerns over Phil leaving (cue the he's just the marketing guy responses) and the Bride situation. I laid out my concerns to Barry (the way Jaap was offering the 'closed' pre-order deal especially rankled me, though no one on Pinside apparently noticed it) when I bowed out of the game, but he never responded.

I don't have all sides of the story, and I'm not really in a position to judge anyone because of that. But this pre-order shit is just getting stupider by the day.

I still want to see TBL made, very much. But maybe it's time to just build it and sell it after it's ready, like real companies do. If you have someone leave the company, whatever his role or relationship, then you gotta stop what you're doing and take care of the money shit. I don't know why anyone is bringing games to New York is that wasn't done.

Phil I'd never out your sickness, but since you brought it up yourself, it's kind of insane to just leave all the money with a guy who's battling serious cancer. Just take care of that shit. I'm pulling for you man, whatever happened and whoever is right it's just pinball, take care of your life and yourself however you need to.

#254 9 years ago

I am devostated!

#255 9 years ago

If Uni had an issue with the launch party in Oct, why have they not brought any action against DP at this point?

#256 9 years ago

Wow talk about having the rug pulled out

#257 9 years ago

We all are.

devo.jpgdevo.jpg
#258 9 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

If Uni had an issue with the launch party in Oct, why have they not brought any action against DP at this point?

they don't know. And despite all my arguing to the contrary, I couldn't convince the others to slow down.

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

I think the question is more did Universal even have any idea about what was happening at Expo? The answer is apparently no. DP basically gambled, or didn't care. You might remember just before Expo when the TBL teaser video went live, it had a big black NOT APPROVED box over the actors' faces in the middle of the playfield. Reason for that.

Just like the Kahlua bottle on the playfield, though I think everyone knows that wasn't approved. Same goes for the Time magazine cover on the spinner, not licensed. Those are relatively minor issues though I would think, it's pretty unlikely that would come back on DP unless the final version still had those.

I was assuming that the final licensing stuff had been taken care of since they were bringing the machines to New York and continuing public events. Probably best to not assume that. If you're staying in on this I would ask DP for a straight answer on that one, if your money is tied up with them you deserve to know if they're risking the future of the game or not with these events. I doubt anyone buying the game thinks that's a worthwhile risk even if you're excited to see it.

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from Soltic:

Phil please, if I'm understanding this right, To move the funds from u to dp it needs to be done by first issuing refunds...?

Please please answer.

Rod

No, Rod, if Barry (or anyone) takes over DP USA, all assets, including the paypal account, would transfer to that person.

That's why I'm refunding all the money. Preorder money is NOT revenue. It's not earned. It's a debt. Only when the machine is shipped does it become revenue.

I just want to reduce the amount of liability this company has.

#261 9 years ago

Phil,
Has any of the deposit money in the DP USA account been used to fund DP operations/costs? Or to put another way, is there enough money to refund all deposits?

#262 9 years ago

Phil, what can you say around the licensing of Brunswick and all the songs from the soundtrack? Are those secured?

#263 9 years ago

edit stayed in

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from Phil-DP-USA:

No, Rod, if Barry (or anyone) takes over DP USA, all assets, including the paypal account, would transfer to that person.
That's why I'm refunding all the money. Preorder money is NOT revenue. It's not earned. It's a debt. Only when the machine is shipped does it become revenue.
I just want to reduce the amount of liability this company has.

Phil, what a rollercoaster, thank you.

I think that's the only thing any of us needed to know tonight, that we are secure w/ your involvement.

Feel better Phil, physically and mentally, you've got to have some of the biggest balls on someone I will ever know in my life.

Rod

#265 9 years ago

The go* dam* plane has crashed into the mountain!

#266 9 years ago

I wish you the best with your health issues Phil...Good luck to you and your family

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

» YouTube video
This guy sure will sleep better tonight...

dont forget this guy

jackg.jpgjackg.jpg
#268 9 years ago

Hmm refund received

#269 9 years ago

I sure feel better now about cancelling my order back in February.

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Stern your my special girl I swear I won't stray again.

LTCG.jpgLTCG.jpg

#271 9 years ago

Holy shit, I gotta get off here and enjoy the rest of the evening w the family.

But upon a quick reflection of what just happened here I can't help but think when my money is back in my account and after a few months of fallout, Phil is going to deserve some serious applause, respect, and thanks from all of us.

When I first spoke w him - which had to be over an hr long conversation, I had the feeling I had just met one of the most genuine people.

I trust Phil's word, and because of this will sleep tonight.

W that said I'm done w preorders.

Rod

#272 9 years ago

Tell me again why I should pre-order a pinball machine?

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from Phil-DP-USA:

or any of those other crazy ideas that couldn't come from "just a marketing guy"
All I want is out. When I was in DP, I didn't have the strength to argue the legal and ethical way to do business, and now, I certainly don't have the strength to fight to get out of it. Cancer's a cruel bitch, right?

I'm sorry you are fighting cancer. I hope you do well and beat it.

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Tell me again why I should pre-order a pinball machine?

You get a free rug sometimes!

#275 9 years ago

Good Bye!

2014-12-13-18-46-14.png2014-12-13-18-46-14.png
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#276 9 years ago

Sounds like it's time for me to fall back and just enjoy the games I own.

#277 9 years ago

Does this mean I don't get my t-shirt?!

I didn't get any refunds, day one order, I hope I'm not screwed.

#278 9 years ago

Yep

blkyk.jpegblkyk.jpeg
#279 9 years ago
Quoted from Phil-DP-USA:

Email dated March 7, from Julie at Universal to me:
-------
Hi, Phil. I have been swamped this and I’m catching up on emails and voicemails. I’m very pleased that you are stepping in to help. It sounds like that will aid in getting this project on a good trajectory.
I don’t think our frustration has stemmed from any cultural differences. Our frustration arose from their lack of understanding that The Big Lebowski assets are restricted to the approved set we have, and that while additional talent approvals are possible for most of the cast, they are just not possible for John Goodman. Frankly, I’m also worried that DP do not understand what an artistic rendering is.
-------

And yet I'm sure everything is perfectly fine when it comes to the license (and Arnold) with Predator.

Yep, I went there...

#280 9 years ago

Until I get a solid answer on whether or not there will be licensing issues, I'm staying in. Even then, I don't care if it says Kahlua on my shit...I do care if John Goodmans usage will be an issue. Thank you for all the information Phil, and I sincerely hope that you can just relax and focus on your health now. When I signed up for pre-order, I knew the risks, and while it may end up costing me a lot of money in the end, I want this pin. I have faith that going forward, and with these issues out in the open, DP can fix what is wrong and make a DAMN good pin. If the sky IS falling, well then fuck it, I'm going out bowling.

#281 9 years ago

I wanna thank you so much, Phil, for your honest kind of doing work!

Is it possible, that DP take proceedings against you (misappropriation of $xxx.xxx)?

I hope really not.

Wish you the best in all directions.

#282 9 years ago

Why would DP make a mention about not having the rights to use kahlua when they supposedly never had the rights to using John Goodman in the game? We really need to hear the other side to this story.

Edit: I just seems odd to fret over kahlua when the supporting actor of the movie never approved.

#283 9 years ago
Quoted from RavellevaR:

You get a free rug sometimes!

As far as I know, nobody has actually received a rug.

Hell, how many even got their damn T shirts?

#284 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Please refund David Ortiz
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for a new Avatar David!

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Until I get a solid answer on whether or not there will be licensing issues, I'm staying in.

I'm staying in as well since I really would only preorder a game with money I can afford to lose. And who knows? Maybe it will all work out? Either way, I'm not risking my house payment or food on the table for my kids so I'll sleep fine tonight!

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

I'm staying in as well since I really would only preorder a game with money I can afford to lose. And who knows? Maybe it will all work out? Either way, I'm not risking my house payment or food on the table for my kids so I'll sleep fine tonight!

Just seems like there's not enough reward considering the risks of staying in at this point.

If you can really afford to lose that money, how does it make sense to stay in for the relatively minor cost benefits of doing so?

#287 9 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

MsxsV29.gifMsxsV29.gif

#288 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EVERYONE FREAK OUT!!!!!!
Clusterfuck. CLUSTERFUCK!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure it's nothing. Never seen so many people panic after receiving money before.

#289 9 years ago

"THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS BARRY WHEN YOU F**K A PINSIDER IN THE ASS!!" Walter.pngWalter.png

barry.jpgbarry.jpg
#290 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Just seems like there's not enough reward considering the risks of staying in at this point.
If you can really afford to lose that money, how does it make sense to stay in for the relatively minor cost benefits of doing so?

It may sound dumb, but I really want the rug!

#291 9 years ago

I was in Ferguson today...

This thread seems crazier tho.

Looks like DP tried to DP its customers.

Bummer, this game looked so dope.

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

As far as I know, nobody has actually received a rug.
Hell, how many even got their damn T shirts?

Ok well then the promise of a rug... If that doesn't suit your fancy, perhaps a shaker motor, some companies offer that... Perhaps a special plaque with your very own machine number on it, but just to be clear you'll need to pony up an extra $100-$300 if you'd like to pick that number... If nothing else you get months of anticipation and loss of any gains you could have had from investing your money wisely... If that's not enough, assuming your machine actually does arrive, you get bragging rights! That's right you get to come on Pinside and tell others how your machine, with its wanky code, was the very first to arrive! Who wouldn't want a part of that?

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

how does it make sense to stay in for the relatively minor cost benefits of doing so?

Because if you don't, there's a risk that this bank run, whether justified or not, can put the company and the game itself at risk. If everyone withdraws, where does the project itself end up without any backers that believe in the title and the game?

#294 9 years ago

I really want the rug too!

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

It may sound dumb, but I really want the rug!

Of course there simply is no come back for that!

#296 9 years ago

Dude, don't know what that means but I hate the violin!

#297 9 years ago

KC was that the deck of the Titanic?

#298 9 years ago

Well I guess it's clear Barry and Jaap lied to me in an email stating they would "initiate the refund process" over a week ago. Clearly had no intention on getting it done through DP USA.

I hope you are successful in your battle against cancer Phil.

Does anybody have a direct email or number to Barry?

Post edited by iceman44: Edit: I retract my statement here. I'm putting all of this on Phil

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Why would DP make a mention about not having the rights to use kahlua when they supposedly never had the rights to using John Goodman in the game? We really need to hear the other side to this story.

I'm going off memory here, but if I'm recalling correctly the issue isn't that Goodman can't be in the game. The issue is that DP can only use the approved marketing assets from Universal of him, and nothing else. So for instance, no going through the film and grabbing a shot from the movie and using it. I know they can't use anything that involves him and a gun (I believe he has veto power of any likeness of himself even appearing next to a gun). No drawing his character or rendering him.

So he's fine on the translite for instance. That's made from the approved PR shots. That's why the characters have the poses they do, that was basically the only option. It's filtered in Photoshop to give it that more painterly look, the studio allowed filters so long as they were applied to the photos and nothing was hand drawn or anything.

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from bajapanda:

Because if you don't, there's a risk that this bank run, whether justified or not, can put the company and the game itself at risk. If everyone withdraws, where does the project itself end up without any backers that believe in the title and the game?

That's their F ing problem. Maybe the dozen or so left can still get pins made and go from there

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.50
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 210.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,821 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 77.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-usa-refund-still-want-the-game/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.