Topic poll

“DP Pro or JP2 Pro. Which one to buy?”

• Jurassic Park - Pro 37 votes
    53%
  • Deapool - Pro 33 votes
    47%

(70 votes)

#1 4 years ago

I have bought and sold a few games over the past few months and have been battling this decision for about 2 weeks. I have room for only 1 pin. Just sold a game this weekend so I want to make a decision soon and figured I would see if anyone had feedback they would like to share about either game. I own IMDN, MET, and TZ currently and am looking for something a little different than the rest. DP has amazing art and is a refreshing layout but I hear everyone raving about JP2 being awesome. Also heard the new DP code was a vast improvement over the previous code. Not looking at the premium options of either so this is strictly between the pro models for both game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago. I would get a DP Premium right now.

JP will most likely be an awesome game, but DP is fantastic right now.

The premium is a lot better than the pro. Both are great, but the premium is the better game by far.

If you can find a nice used Premium for a decent deal that would be a great choice.

#3 4 years ago

Both are awesome games but I enjoy playing Stern JP more awesome layout good rules and the LCD animations are very well done.

#4 4 years ago

It really depends of what theme you enjoy more. I owned a Deadpool pro and really enjoyed it. I’m definitely gonna get a new Jurassic Park too. Deadpool is a unique layout and has good theme integration. Both great choices, maybe get a Deadpool now, then sell later to get the Jurassic Park.

#5 4 years ago

I don't know why, but I have more fun playing Deadpool. With that said, I don't own either, so I can't do a super deep dive into the ruleset of either game. Perhaps one becomes more repetitive in a home setting. They are both on my wanted list and in my top-5 Stern games, along with Lord of the Rings, Metallica, and Iron Maiden. I think you should buy the one that you can find the best deal on.

#6 4 years ago

We are still doing this, play both and buy the one you prefer to play. Is it going to be better because 10 pinsiders think DP is the way to go and 7 JP2?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

We are still doing this, play both and buy the one you prefer to play. Is it going to be better because 10 pinsiders think DP is the way to go and 7 JP2?

The challenge for some is that they are often not near pinball on location or have to travel long distances to play both games.

That said, if possible, this is the best advice by far.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

The challenge for some is that they are often not near pinball on location or have to travel long distances to play both games.

That said, if possible, this is the best advice by far.

I get that but still how is anyone else's opinion gonna matter? Jesus thats like using the top 100 as a guide. Doesn't mean shit.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I get that but still how is anyone else's opinion gonna matter? Jesus thats like using the top 100 as a guide. Doesn't mean shit.

You could say this about a lot of stuff on pinside. I think the OP just wants to get opinions and the reasoning behind those opinions to help him make a decision on how to spend almost $6k.

DP: one of the best games out there. It has great shots, a unique layout, a nice variety of modes and game play. Really I don't see much down side to it. I'm not a fan of the movies but they seemed to take more a retro fighting game angle on it which I prefer. It is relatively easy to start a variety of modes and multi balls including 3 starting battles and the 2 quests, as well as Lil DP multi ball, Disco MB, Katana, etc. The main modes don't need to be played in a particular order. The code is mature at this point so you pretty much know what you will get. I personally feel they did a great job with animations, lighting, and callouts.

JP: has more difficult shots (especially the shot through the pops, and the two shots above and below the right upper flipper). The recent playfield issues have kept me from ordering, at least until these are resolved which I expect to be soon.

Code is early on JP and I suspect some of these issues might be fixed with code: I personally find JP more of a stop and go type game especially when the post comes up and holds the ball while it goes through the animation. I also find many of the save people from the dinosaur modes very similar regardless of which path through the island you choose and they are played in the same order. CHAOS is a lot of fun but difficult to start. Animations are good, but not as creative as those on DP. The callouts are at best loosely based on the movie and aren't great.

I own DP and suspect I'll get a JP. That said I feel that DP is a better or at least a safer choice right now.

#10 4 years ago

I prefer a third flipper so I would probably go with JP. This adds to "shot complexity." Deadpool has 9 shots total: 7 shots from the left flipper (left ramp, scoop, center spinner, snikt, lil DP 3-bank, right ramp, right orbit) and 5 shots from the right (left orbit, left ramp, colossus, scoop, lil dp 3 bank).

JP has pretty much those same shots, plus two from the upper flipper. Left flipper has 7, right flipper has 5, upper flipper has 3 (maybe 4, can you intentionally hit the spinner?). Having 2 u-turn ramps really packs those shots in.

On the other hand, Deadpool is probably more "fun" theme-wise (at least at this point) given the comic tie-in, the humor etc. JP doesn't have those assets.. but I would imagine some sound mods are forthcoming, if not updates from Stern themselves.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses and the feedback thus far - it is much appreciated!

#12 4 years ago

Definitely a "no wrong choice" scenario, though we often hear folks really digging the premium level on Deadpool.

#13 4 years ago

cant go wrong with either. Own both, played both a ton. Both are great titles and fun to play.

#14 4 years ago

Neither. Bad quality. Unless you don’t mind pooling, chipping, bad coil stops, wood grain, etc

#15 4 years ago

I ended up buying Deadpool. When I went to pick it up, the gas just inboxed a JP Pro so I had a chance to play about 5 games on it. Definitely a fun game with some good shots and flow but a more technical shooter. JP is still on my radar as a future purchase but very happy I went with DP. Fun layout different from my other pins and a more laid back vibe for the family. Someone said earlier that you can’t go wrong with either and I agree. Tough choice but in the end, just wanted something fun / goofy to replace my SouthPark. Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated!

#16 4 years ago

Deadpool is the winner!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

I ended up buying Deadpool. When I went to pick it up, the gas just inboxed a JP Pro so I had a chance to play about 5 games on it. Definitely a fun game with some good shots and flow but a more technical shooter. JP is still on my radar as a future purchase but very happy I went with DP. Fun layout different from my other pins and a more laid back vibe for the family. Someone said earlier that you can’t go wrong with either and I agree. Tough choice but in the end, just wanted something fun / goofy to replace my SouthPark. Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated!

You made a great choice, a fantastic game. I walked into a location yesterday that has an incredible line up with games like JP2, Wonka, and The Big Lebowski. I played more games of Deadpool than any of the others. I really like JP and would love to own one some day, but if I was buying a game tomorrow I'd choose Deadpool over it.

#18 4 years ago

There is no losing choice. Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-pro-or-jp2-pro-which-one-to-buy?hl=tahitiansea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.