(Topic ID: 52154)

Downsizing Collection - Who has done it and survived?

By SideTrackTap

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

Currently I have 4 machines. I am considering downsizing my collection to one or two (in all reality, I doubt I could live with one, so most likely it will be two). But, I have attachments to all of them. One being my first pinball and a NIB, another a NIB + dream theme, another I just love the theme, and the last I used to play a lot when I was a kid. Plus, with Ritchie's pin on the way, I'd like to add that one to the collection (as one of mine is STTNG).

As much as I'd love to keep the collection growing, I not sure it's the responsible thing to do. I will admit though, I like being the guy that people visit and bring their kids to play pinball in a home setting.

So my question(s): Who has gone from a larger number of pins to one or two machines? Were you able to cope? In the end, was it the right decision? And any other information you may be able to bestow on me...

Thanks in advance!

Chris

#2 10 years ago

Tell me how it works out. I haven't gotten close but have thought about it.

#3 10 years ago

I can get by with a slim collection because I live an hr from www.CPpinball.com & go there damn near every open weekend.

Plus I'm going to buy 2 more machines

5 real games + 1 Hyperpin + CP's 75+ games = happy PW79

#4 10 years ago

Most I've had is 6 at once, now have 2, soon to be 3. I am still alive!

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Tell me how it works out. I haven't gotten close but have thought about it.

Me too. Problem is, once you go there...a pretty big hill to climb back up nowadays.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from SideTrackTap:

, I not sure it's the responsible thing to do

It Not. But If you have the means. Your wife does not hound you 24/7 sell these dam pinball it is a waste of money. And you can fit more pinballs in your home than keep them coming. I sold 5 pinball all 'A' list. back in 2004 and I have bought all of them back for twice the price. But If you do down size a guess you can do what most people do "except me" and just keep flipping the pinballs. Good Luck do what is best for family. But try to keep as many as you can.

#7 10 years ago

Back in 2007, I downsized from 26 Machines to zero machines. Initially my downsizing started in an attempt to raise funds for my Dad's heart and artery surgery. Then it simply became a way to survive the real estate collapse of 2007.

The list included many top tier Williams/Bally DMDs including Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, Monster Bash, HEP Cactus Canyon, Sample Cirqus Voltaire, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Theatre of Magic and a few others. I also had Sterns like LoTR, TSPP, Sopranos, PoTC, World Poker Tour and Spider-Man.

I then start rebuilding with EM and early Solid State machines.

I am now back to a healthy collection, but I doubt I will ever have the collection that I enjoyed back in 2007.

Marcus

#8 10 years ago

I bought to many spent to much. But I cannot really say I totally downsized . I have two games being restored, two preordered. But I sell anything immiediatly if it is not played a bunch by me. Even if my family loves a game(they do not live with me) if I don't play it a ton or it does not call out to me to master it or get better it goes.

I currently have two games in my dining room and one of those is sold and the other (TAF) is moving into the garagecade. Need a dining room table and sick of weird looks when people come in and think I have to many big boy toys. Also have 3 arcade machines I need to shoehorn into my garage. A 9ft refurbished pool table that I love to play prevents me from going crazy, if that was not played it would be scary how many games I could fit.

I only have two hands and learned the hard way that once you have ten games, things do not get played for days/weeks. Some games I wanted to keep based on loving the theme but the game itself was not being played.

If I had a hardship pinball would be the first thing to go. Well accept my Tron Le, you can bury me with that one, I kid that would go too if need be.

Basically pinball is a wonderful distraction but I have not missed one game I sold accept I think I will miss Whitewater wars with my little brother.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm actually single and have no family priorities. I guess I'm just looking at TRYING to be more responsible financially.

I know what you're thinking [In a Magnum PI voice], "Single, no family, RESPONSIBLE?"

I'm not in a position that I HAVE to get rid of anything. Which is good. I know of at least two, maybe three machines I could sell tomorrow if I needed. So I appreciate the liquidity of the machines.

But along the line of what RobKnapp said, I'm afraid of getting BACK into the games I sell now if I decide to get back into the hobby later.

So, for now, I guess I'll be holding on to them. I'll definitely update this thread should something change.

Thanks again,

Chris

#10 10 years ago

I sold everything. I'm still here.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from SideTrackTap:

I'm actually single and have no family priorities. I guess I'm just looking at TRYING to be more responsible financially.

lol.

#12 10 years ago

buy more. You will be happier.

#13 10 years ago

I cut my collection in half, from 29 pins down to 14 1/2 (the half is a RFM playfield to swap in the SWEp1 cab). I am very happy with the downsize....less games means more playing on each and less to work on when they break. Though I regret selling a few games like WPT, SMB, and Hollywood Heat

#14 10 years ago

its a good idea to downsize i think. i need to lol. but they are too damn fun!!!!

#15 10 years ago

No reported deaths as of now by anyone who downsized as a direct result of said downsizing. So, all have survived.

#16 10 years ago

I'll start by getting rid of the ones I'm storing for others.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/downsizing-collection-who-has-done-it-and-survived and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.