Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

test_(resized).JPG
Capture1_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

I never find the LE's to be worthwhile. People try to collect pins like comic books. The effect doesn't really work as well and trying to put a presumed value on LE. When the premium offers the same layout and gameplay and an LE. I'd rather save the money and customize my game down the road if I want. And the real backglass. I'd rather have a translite. Nothing worse than breaking a irreplaceable backglass.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Why would anyone downgrade? This may be the best LE ever made to date and with less than 200 in the states how could you go wrong?

because some don't like to piss money away for the same game. When you can get a premium for a lot less. Personally, I don't like the artwork on the LE. I'd rather have the premium or pro.

Plus the real backglass thing is a huge turnoff. YOu think it's a bonus, you never had a backglass burst in your hands for no reason. Happens a lot more often than you think. I still cringe every time I have to take my spooky backglass out. With these games, stern only makes about 10 extras for casualties. Once they are gone, they are gone. So next year or the year after...your paws are a little to warm, and you take out your backglass to put in your new LED panel. POP!.....guess what. You SOL. Glad you spent the extra money now, only to end up with a premium or pro translite anyway? Not worth the risk, and sure the hell wouldn't pay extra for that risk.

#52 8 years ago

I don't mind the slime armor. I have something similar on BF. It's the cabinet art I don't like as good.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's F ing AWESOME!
And Neo will never buy another Nib pin in his life because they will all exceed his price threshold.

that's not true. Spooky's games were well within my price range.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

But they all have solid back glass

that does suck, but i'm not paying extra to have it either..plus they make replacement extra..a lot more than stern does. better chance to get one down the road if needed.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Stern will sell you a replacement LE backglass with picture proof that yours is broken and you own the machine.

yes, but they only make like 10 extras. once those 10 are gone. your SOL. and that's only if it breaks within the first year. what about 5 years from now? I've seen many backglasses break. All of them just from holding them in your hands, or setting them down somewhere. Not from being dropped or anything bad happening. They are scary to handle when you know you can never find another.

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Backglasses don't "shatter in your hands" unless they are mishandled, broken during transport, vandalism or negligence. They act under the same physical principles of any other piece of tempered playfield glass and are generally the same 3/16" thickness outside of earlier 1/4" BG thickness games or those made in plastic.
Let's just say I have a lot of backglass experience. The reader can decide if it's an opinion or fact.

I agree with all your statements except this. I've personally seen backglasses burst while the person is just standing there holding them. Temp changes in your hands from outside temp is drastic enough of a change, will cause tempered glass to pop instantly. I've seen it with backglasses and playfield glass on way more than one occasion. The person is standing there with a pile of diamonds in front of them and 2 big chunks of cracked glass in their hands. If you have been in pinball long enough, you will see it first hand on many occasions.

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If a backglass is done correctly, there is a HUGE difference in quality.
Check out an original Taxi BG and a remade translite, for a simple example.
It has nothing to do with "Marilyn" or "Lola" either.
Just like there is a big difference between the original oil painting sample art and the production backglass, there are also huge differences.
I can attest to this as a pinball art collector, and they are expensive, not just because they are "rare".
Properly ink screened backglasses for highly rare quality games cost big $$$ as well.
Loch Ness Monster anybody?
If you can find a prototype glass, sometimes the production quality is even HIGHER as well, due to it being evaluated by management for approval.
They wanted to make a superb example to "show off" the black lines, mirroring, transparency, etc.
Modern production standards of backglasses (translites in most cases) are pretty lacking, so in this case it does not mean much anymore.
Fluorescent lighting in Stern pinball machine is not a suitable means to illuminate a "true" backglass.
It looks like complete $#@.
That is why most people use LED light backbox panels and rip that PoS out of their modern games.
I should probably take a photo of original older backglass with a fluorescent light behind it.
Everybody is going to hate the view.
LEDs make the situation of real backglasses even WORSE because they cause "pinpoints" if not done correctly in intensity, and even then offer no real advantage exception heat reduction against backglass damage and bulb replacement.
I would take an original good condition backglass over a translite any day, especially if done properly with general light placement.
If someone buying an LE and doesn't care about the backglass quality, why not buy a Premium?
The artwork is really the only difference of value, unless someone treasures signatures or a complete "status" gold plaque.
Both of the last items can be obtained without buying an LE (and lie), unless there is some type of unique feature code or whizband playfield feature.
None of that was listed for GB LE, and it still even had a DMD.

some recent ones i've seen.

At midwest gaming classic. After the show was over. Getting ready to break the game down. he takes the glass out. Just holding it for 5 seconds..and pop. No weather changes nothing. Been at the show all weekend. He wasn't cold or hot. It was nice outside.

Second one, was one of my playfields glasses. I'm fixing something on one of my games. Take out the glass. hand it to him to hold as i go grab a tool. and all of a sudden I hear it raining diamonds. he's standing there holding to pieces of glass and diamonds all over the gameroom. Again he wasn't doing anything but holding it. He now has the title Mr.hotpaws and not allowed to touch any of my backglasses.

#151 8 years ago
Quoted from leonml:

The whole warm hands shattering cool glass scare is a bunch of dog poo. There's not a set of hands warm enough to heat even the coldest piece of glass fast enough to cause it to just shatter from rapid molecular change. If this were the case, no glass ever made from the beginning of time would hold up in cold winter months. When your car heater was blasting on the windshield, before the days of tempered or safety glass. They're are model t fords from wisconsin with the original glass. Also there'd be a ton of fishing and hunting shacks and old houses with hand formed glass windows laying in crumbled piles outside every building in wisconsin and other. Cold winter mornings at freezing Temps and that hot morning sun is hitting it directly at much higher temp, no breakage. Could go to an old hunting or fishing shack or cabin, below zero out, start a wood fire, rapidly heating to room temp and even with the extreme cold temp hitting the outside and warm heating the inside, you could tap it or have a small branch or bird or whatever hit that glass, no breakage.
Only way I see backglass breaking is poor handling. Maybe handling the very edges of opposite corners, and holding it parallel to the floor, possibly walking with it could cause the glass to flex and the corners to break off, then shattering on the floor.
Otherwise the physics would negate otherwise.
I've had old games in a garage that was 20 below zero, brought it in my house at 73 degrees, and handled the glass and no breaks. I've hauled and unloaded games in that kind of weather and brought them inside, hauling down stairs, jarring every step down, then unwrapping, setting up, handling the glass, checking everything over, and no breakage. Yes I waited to turn the machine on after a couple hours.
Just my 2 cents worth. Supported by science, physics, logic and real life examples that can't be refuted.

you do realize that model T's don't have tempered glass right. There was no such thing as tempered glass back then. Tempered is strong as shit, unless it is subjected to temp changes (no it doesn't take that much of a change) or you slightly ting one of the edges. Have you watched the video where someone shows you how durable playfield glass is? The guy stood on a piece that was on bricks from side to side..bounced in the center. Didn't break. Barely hit the edge with something and it shattered into diamonds. It's just as fragile with things cold or warmer than the glass. Anyone around here can tell you they have seen it first hand. No mishandling..nothing. Just bursting in your hands for no reason. But this only holds true for tempered glass. Many EM glasses and zaccaria glasses are standard glass and are not as fragile to these conditions.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I am really interested to see how those magnet slings work. Just gotta hope a prem pops up around me so I can get my hands on one.

probably going to work just like the magnet slingshot on hobbit. There is a magnet sling on hobbit right up on the left side near the smaug VUK. Works pretty good.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

The upper left flipper was removed and replaced with a normal coil slingshot kicker, it's not a magnet on Hobbit.

I just played it 2 days ago and it was a magnetic sling and a production machine.

and what upper left flipper? Only upper flipper i've seen on hobbit was the upper right one.

#220 8 years ago

did he do the other cabinets as well? just a different look.

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just adding basic powder coated armor, and a mirrored backglass is not enough but hey Stern knows that people will buy em up and sure enough that happened so why add more and make a game like ST LE?

truth of it is, is that they are not really adding powder coated armor. Pros and premiums are black powder coated. IT's just a different color. So there really isn't any extra cost for stern. Cost the same to do black or green. Doesn't matter.

#251 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Good response... there was nothing else for you to say when you know I'm right. Wooden apron and powder coat... HUGE DIFFERENCES!

someone made a wooden apron? that would be cool. Especially if it was stained and natural. I don't know if it fits on Ghostbusters but would look pretty cool on hobbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/downgrade-from-gb-le-to-premium?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.