Lawlor (resized).jpg
1ccr53 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
tumblr_o3kbpxcIjU1ux625so1_500.gif
th (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DONT FLIP (resized).jpg
Phantom-Menace-3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Most "original themes" in pinball are actually "unlicensed themes". MM is Holy Grail, AFM is Mars Attacks, I personally ripped off Ghost Adventures, CC is Blazing Saddles, WOOLY is Clash of the Titans, etc. Everyone knows what rafting is, what pool is, what playing cards do...
You know what to expect. The games have the same tone and humor of the properties that inspired them. Maybe they poke fun at tropes or act as a parody.
Dialed In is truly an "original theme" - it's based off nothing anyone is familiar with. The cell phone seems to be a major feature but I think the game is more about a city and disasters? Not really sure. Nobody is, and that's why it's getting this sort of reaction.

I posted in the other thread phones are more of a tool. It's like doing a pin based on a screwdriver. There's nothing inherently interesting about a phone. Cell phones were a novelty in the 90s and that seems like where this theme came from.

I think they should have focused on the City and Superhero themes. Those make me want to play it. Along with a better title like Quantum City this could have been a more interesting reveal. I get that Dialed In is kind of a pinball pun but it won't draw people in on location.

I thought the stream was a detriment to the reveal. We couldn't get a good view of the pin and Pat was reluctant to tell us the features because he wanted us to discover it. The idea of revealing the pin through a stream was pretty cool and I was anxious to see it but I think Stern and Heighway's tactic of revealing high res pics before a stream is a better way of doing things.

I like the art despite it being a departure from Lawlor's previous humorous games. I'm sure the layout and code will be good. The animations on the big screen looked neat. I'd like to play it but there's no chance I'll ever buy it.

#352 7 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

But had you waited, you could've opted for the Hobbit-SLE Black Arrow model that was also announced and sure to be the most limited. . .

Should people really be upset about that? It's just painted armor to help sell their remaining stock for the same price. Lowering the price would really tick people off.

#390 7 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Yes they should. Its total garbage. WHAT if they sell only 500 "black arrow" games? then its actually a rare product. THEN what? "green arrow" limited to 250 because that's all we have left??
Its a poor business model and does nothing but piss people off. As for this new release, they wont sell 5000, let alone 6,999 and then what? "We have 2000 games left, I know, new release, limited edition, Samsung 7, black model" -$10K

The LE model is stupid to begin and people thinking that it's an investment are ignorant. It's just different color armor. You can send your armor to a guy to get powder coated a different color if you want. Is it the little numbered plaque that makes it worth more? There's a couple local shops that could make those.

I hope manufacturers quit making LEs because it just encourages flipping and I hope customers quit buying them because it just encourages price gouging. These black arrow games don't seem like LEs at all. Just an attempt to get rid of some overstock with some color options.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Who cares what color the armor is or how many they made or is it an investment?
If a company comes out and says 1000 LE's. They have no business coming out months later with "1500 red LE's" Or use the Hobbit, same result. You cant tell someone your LE is #/500 and then release another "LE" edition after the fact. Its a horrible business model and pisses people off.

So you're just mad they made the armor a different color. Interesting.

Having red LEs doesn't change the fact there are still a limited number of green LEs.

Unless LEs have different features, art, and/or software then you are only fooling yourself that they are actually limited.

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Strange you pulled that response from my comment of " who cares what color the armor is"
It has nothing to do with the game itself and everything to do with the out right lying when selling. You don't tell people its limited to XXX and then create multiple other versions. I don't own a Hobbit but I really like the "black arrow" edition and id be pissed if I paid XXX and then this new/improved ( in my opinion ) version is now available.
Its bait and switch.... shit we didnt sell enough green LE's, lets make a red and limited it too, if that doesn't work, next year we will release a "yellow brick road" #/100 LE.

It seems you do care what color the armor is because you think black is "new/improved". My point is colored armor does not make a game limited. They may state it and you may believe it but in reality it's not true. It's the same tactic any other collectible hobby uses to get people to buy more of the exact same item.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinbutt2000:

Lawler went campy and that has tended to work for him in the past.

One problem is the art doesn't reflect this. The art seems super serious with the guy holding up the cell phone like he's on a movie poster.

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I think that's the young Lawlor himself.

Is that why they were showing pics of young Pat and Jack? Now that I think about it, it looks more like young Jack.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

I do actually like the art, even more than the one of the BM66 games......but I'm also not 60+ years old and grew up with that show.
As for the theme, sure it's no catch but a name does not make a game.
I just hope the smartphone integration can be kept at a minimum level, (i.e. not required at all without loosing out on gameplay) as this would drive me off completely.

The problem I have with the art is how they recycled the same pic of the guy with the cell phone on the playfield, cabinet, and backglass. Can't someone draw him in a different pose?

tumblr_o3kbpxcIjU1ux625so1_500.giftumblr_o3kbpxcIjU1ux625so1_500.gif

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and for those who say "give it a chance" or "you're being too critical". Look at that price. Nine-fuuuuckin'-K. Or $12.5k for the "Collectors Edition"!

Hard to give it a chance if the only time anyone ever sees it is on location or at shows because it's too expensive to buy.

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

As apprehensive as I am to admit this, this $9k price really opens the door for American Pinball's Houdini to shine. If that game is comparatively fun at $7k...
What else is coming out in that "$7k and under" price point? I am hoping Stern's next title gets back to the $6k Pro model...

Alien is under 7k. So is Spooky's next game which is rumored to be 60s futuristic cartoon based.

I'm still very skeptical about Houdini. They have to have playable games I can see in person and games I can pick up when paid. I hope people don't start throwing money at bad ideas because of rising prices from the bigger manufacturers.

#520 7 years ago

Hobbit $8k
WOZ $8.5k
Dialed In $9k

Doesn't the pricing seem kind of inline with other JJP games? JJP games were always expensive. It's not like Stern getting rid of the Pro and raising the premium by a $1000.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/down-to-72-hours-until-the-reveal-of-deep-dive?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.