Lawlor (resized).jpg
1ccr53 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
tumblr_o3kbpxcIjU1ux625so1_500.gif
th (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DONT FLIP (resized).jpg
Phantom-Menace-3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SimonBaird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#448 7 years ago

If I was a limited edition buyer of either Stern or JJP I would be kinda of pissed. These companies are treating this group of buyers like they a bunch of assholes, seriously $3500k more for the Le dialled in , pretty much the same for the batman66 SLE and yet there is no true exclusivity or luxury to these models. These guys have lost the plot. I'm not worried about the death of pinball, if and when this new collector market crashes, any manufactures standing will be happy to drop their asking prices by $2000 or more and be begging operators to take their games. The term LE will be gone from the hobby in a couple of years, with everyone bagging on this marketing strategy these machines will no longer have that cool vibe and let's face it the only reason people purchase Le's is for the status. When that no longer rings true, even the well heeled collectors will be happy to save thousands and play the same game us the masses. It would be totally different story if these companies were actually delivering $3000 worth of upgrades and prestige.

I know this is a JJP thread but what really pisses me off is how many times have you heard Stern say the game is under the glass. If that was really true then give your Le buyers some true unique GAMEPLAY features and mechanical toys. These guys deserve so much more then you are giving them for the money they are spending.

Both the majors need to start showing consumers what they are going to be getting for all the extra money they asking wether it premium Le or super duper edition.

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You'll have to travel to the east coast to get to play Odin. Don't see that many making it out of Jack's warehouse.
I'm gonna say 400-500 max
One thing about Jack and JJP, when TH shit storm hit a few Expo's back after that reveal, Jack listened to everybody, went back to the drawing board, and made it a much better pin.
Changes will be coming again.

The difference this time around is that Jack can't afford to have the game 2 years away from shipping. I would not like to be Jack meeting with his investors when they see the feedback here and pre-sale orders. Speaking of investors, does it seem like both Stern and JJP went off the rails when new money came into both companies.

I have really tried not to get involved in the negative rants regarding pinball having jumped the shark and the crazy new price levels. In all honesty a figured $6-$7 was about the right price for NIB pins keeping inline with inflation from the 90's and overall drop in sales/production runs compared to those time. However going from wizard of Oz costing $6500 at launch to $9K for this game just seems more like profit taking. The sales numbers will determine which strategy works for the major manufactures I.e low run high margin, large run low margin.

#458 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Most "original themes" in pinball are actually "unlicensed themes". MM is Holy Grail, AFM is Mars Attacks, I personally ripped off Ghost Adventures, CC is Blazing Saddles, WOOLY is Clash of the Titans, etc. Everyone knows what rafting is, what pool is, what playing cards do...
You know what to expect. The games have the same tone and humor of the properties that inspired them. Maybe they poke fun at tropes or act as a parody.
Dialed In is truly an "original theme" - it's based off nothing anyone is familiar with. The cell phone seems to be a major feature but I think the game is more about a city and disasters? Not really sure. Nobody is, and that's why it's getting this sort of reaction.

Hi Ben

Don't want to put you on the spot but as someone who actually knows a thing or two about making a pinball machine, do you think dialled in could of been profitable for JJP at say $7-$7.5k list price? Granted you don't have in side knowledge on the BOM or even the profit sharing arrangement between Jack and Pat. I'm just asking for a perspective to see if all of us are ranting because we feel that companies are starting to price gouge or if we all have it wrong and the cost of building games with these sort of features is way more then we would expect.

Regarding your above post, I think the difference is you can easily say AFM is Mars attacks unlicensed, MM is the holy grail etc.. However what is dialled in reference. Earthshaker, whirlwind had much clearer disaster themes. Time will tell and personally I think the short gameplay videos looks great, however it is a hard theme to translate in a single byline. Which when you going within an orginal theme probably makes for an even harder sell.

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Interesting toys and tech although too complex for the casual player walking up to the pin an arcade.

The number of players at our local arcade that I have to tell to press the start button on a game as they walking away(would never steal someone's credits I want everyone to enjoy pinball) is ridiculous, I mean seriously 30% of first time players I see don't know to press the start button. How the hell are they going to know to use there phone or take selfies etc... Seems like a cool idea in a marketing round table, in reality way off the mark.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 22.50
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SimonBaird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/down-to-72-hours-until-the-reveal-of-deep-dive?tu=SimonBaird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.