Lawlor (resized).jpg
1ccr53 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
tumblr_o3kbpxcIjU1ux625so1_500.gif
th (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DONT FLIP (resized).jpg
Phantom-Menace-3 (resized).jpg
There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.
#301 7 years ago

Gary Stern is poppin' bottles 2night

#302 7 years ago

Regardless of how it plays, there's 2 things wrong I'll mention:

1: The name doesn't grab your attention. It speaks nothing of what the game is about except maybe a phone. It is not an exciting name.

2: The artwork is.... not that great. It has no wow factor like GB has for example. BM66 looks a lot cooler.

Rob

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

1: The name doesn't grab your attention. It speaks nothing of what the game is about except maybe a phone. It is not an exciting name.
2: The artwork is.... not that great. It has no wow factor like GB has for example. BM66 looks a lot cooler.
Rob

3: The sounds are annoying

#304 7 years ago

They should have shown more of an up close gameplay vid like Alien did to show off the shots. Check out this video of gameplay, made me much more interested after the grainy reveal stream:

https://www.facebook.com/thisflippinpodcast/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

#305 7 years ago

I REALLY wanted to like this game but the theme does nothing for me and with that kind of price the the REALLY needs to do something for me.

Good news is new hobbit code! Friday arvo here so beer and new hobbit code are looking like how I will spend my evening.

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Yes to both. I actively don't like the kid holding up the phone.

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

3: The sounds are annoying

Agreed. The sound package didn't seem that great.

Rob

#308 7 years ago

I feel so bad saying this. PL's best machines were designed over 20 years ago. I'm thinking it's too late for him to have an impact like he once had. Giving him a blank check was very risky.

Since it's an original theme I was honestly hoping pricing might come down a little since they don't have to pay licensing fees.

I'll definitely check the machine out before i make my final decision.

One thing I can't get over is that I know I won't use my cell phone for multiball. That means time and energy wasted on features I won't use,but I still have to pay for them. Do we have to make sure our cell phones don't auto lock so we are ready for multiball?

#309 7 years ago

It's sorta like a PG rated Grand Theft Auto, moving thru the city surviving on wits type of theme. Maybe a Grand Theft Auto brand theme would have worked better. Interesting tech though esp wifi flipper control.

#310 7 years ago

Car manufactures are allowing you to now start your car from your phone (which is a good thing because over the last 20 years I have always had a hell of time starting my car)

#311 7 years ago

Surely, they could have bounced this off of some folks in advance to get some feedback. This can't be the first time they're hearing real feedback about the game. It's got to be a joke, right? I'm so stunned, I'm bouncing between threads waiting for the real reveal.....

#312 7 years ago

I can't stand the Sim City looking background and the sounds are irritating. I'm done posting about this pin. I'm sounding like a jerk now.

#313 7 years ago

It might be time to find the guy selling the HEP AFM for 9K.

This and Batman are both underwhelming and overpriced.

#314 7 years ago

Nobody in that 20+ person team told Pat maybe he is a bit out of touch and that the theme doesn't work?

#315 7 years ago

I can see pat thinking this might get a younger demo interested in pinball but at these prices i cant imagine seeing this game in some bar somwhere.

Saddest part was hearing the audience laugh when jjack said he planned to limit the base game to 6,999 units.

#316 7 years ago

Theme is *meh*. The prices are RIDICULOUS.

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Yes to both. I actively don't like the kid holding up the phone.

You mean you don't like "Personality Free 90's White Kid from Turbografx Commercial?" Shocked !!

#318 7 years ago

Years to brainstorm ideas and come up with an original theme that's fun and exciting and he delivers this? A cellphone themed game with a Bob The Builder Fisher Price moving target??? C'mon Pat wake up! It's not 1994. Sims games and cellphones are old news. Surprised it's not running on Windows '94.

#319 7 years ago

R.I.P.
J.J.P.

#320 7 years ago

The phone ringing was the actual game???? I thought it was someone else phone ringing ruining the show.....YIKES! Phone ringing is not what I want to hear.....EVER

#321 7 years ago

Two words I really loathe in our current society, "selfie" and "drones". I'll play it with an open mind tomorrow but this doesn't look appealing to me unfortunately.

#322 7 years ago

They obviously need to fix the phone ringing sound which will be easy and one of the first updates. It needs to be less persistent for sure, and they could have options for the default ringer to something less irritating.

#323 7 years ago

playing dialed in, the phone rings and your wife is calling you to come up for dinner. only 9000.00 or 12500 by christmas

#324 7 years ago

You Debbie Downers do realize you can control the flippers WITH YOUR PHONE, don't you? That's Epic! /sarcasm

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

You Debbie Downers do realize you can control the flippers WITH YOUR PHONE, don't you?

Yes we do and no thank you. My phone is for work....When I play pinball my phone is forgotten.......

#326 7 years ago

Most "original themes" in pinball are actually "unlicensed themes". MM is Holy Grail, AFM is Mars Attacks, I personally ripped off Ghost Adventures, CC is Blazing Saddles, WOOLY is Clash of the Titans, etc. Everyone knows what rafting is, what pool is, what playing cards do...

You know what to expect. The games have the same tone and humor of the properties that inspired them. Maybe they poke fun at tropes or act as a parody.

Dialed In is truly an "original theme" - it's based off nothing anyone is familiar with. The cell phone seems to be a major feature but I think the game is more about a city and disasters? Not really sure. Nobody is, and that's why it's getting this sort of reaction.

#327 7 years ago

My phone died and I missed the reveal...not enough bars...bad connection...what's the Wi-Fi login code. Hey guys , is there an outlet so I can charge my phone while play?
Boy did I just save a lot of money..

#328 7 years ago

I foolishly thought JJP would deliver an A+ game and shock Stern with very aggressive pricing.

WRONG.

Ugh....

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They obviously need to fix the phone ringing sound

You can probably change the ringtone.

#330 7 years ago

An original theme needs to be exciting. There is nothing exciting about phones.

You'd think he'd have learned from Road Show.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Gary Stern is poppin' bottles 2night

I'd laugh my ass off if they posted a team pic of everyone smiling and eating pizza while playing Batman 66.

#332 7 years ago

Found this at my hotel room door.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#333 7 years ago

How many fat cats here are buying BM66 SLE and DICE? Can you put Batman, Dialed In, and Wizard of Oz next to each other and ask someone not in the hobby "So, which of these do you think costs $12-15,000?".

#334 7 years ago

So it seems JJP website is down. What are the models and prices for this machine? I see some people tossing around a $12,500. That's gotta be a joke! WTH would pay a crazy price like that for a pinball machine?

#335 7 years ago

I'm so grateful that I chose to buy a Hobbit instead of waiting on JJP #3!

#336 7 years ago

The LE is $9,000 (#1 - 6,999) and Premium is $12,500 (unlimited numbers, but must be ordered by 12/31)

#337 7 years ago

Am I the only one that feels like I've been hit over the head with steel beam in the last month +.

Batman66 for near insulting $$$.... and now a game with a giant glowing cellphone $9 to 12.5K???????

What?

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I'm so grateful that I chose to buy a Hobbit instead of waiting on JJP #3!

But had you waited, you could've opted for the Hobbit-SLE Black Arrow model that was also announced and sure to be the most limited. . .

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

So it seems JJP website is down. What are the models and prices for this machine? I see some people tossing around a $12,500. That's gotta be a joke! WTH would pay a crazy price like that for a pinball machine?

I don't think it's "down". I think it's overloaded just like Pinside has been this evening... everyone trying to make sense out of this presentation.

#340 7 years ago

I think if they redid the theme to focus more on city whatever, dropped the selfie mode, dropped the cellphone interaction, dropped the moving worker, and maybe dropped it to $8000, they'd have a decent product.
There is a lot to like. Layout looks good, colours are nice, and a standard-cab JJP game would be exciting.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder what kind of market research was done on this one? Why did they think that this type of theme would work on a pin?

I know right...In the world of pinball I'm a nobody, and even I would have steered them completely out of this path.

The way Jack was gushing about the honor of working with Pat makes me think he was somewhat oblivious to what was happening...starstruck if you will.

#342 7 years ago

JJP announces next game "Jumped the Shark"

Henry Winkler as the "Fonz" signed on to do the call-outs!

$10k by Christmas! Oh wait, it's already $12.5k pre-order.

#344 7 years ago

I am a fan of Jjp. But, this theme and artwork on cabinet are very poor. Why would you want to flip a pinball machine with your phone? That is a terrible gimmick to use. I was really hoping Jjp could compete with Stern. Stern can put out a bad machine and put out a great one very quickly. This hurts Jjp and for that I am sad.

#345 7 years ago

From the This Flippin' Podcast video, I think it looks like a lot of fun. Which should be all that matters. "Is the game fun". The mobile phone stuff looks totally optional too, which I think would be a good move. I see Buffalo Pinball will be streaming it next Saturday (22nd), so that'll give an even better look at what full games are like.

I'm not going to be owning this one but I'm really looking forward to playing it on location.

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Am I the only one that feels like I've been hit over the head with steel beam in the last month +.
Batman66 for near insulting $$$.... and now a game with a giant glowing cellphone $9 to 12.5K???????
What?

I think the bubble that's being spoken of is this more than anything. I haven't been in collecting long enough but I notice the trend where game sales stall before reveals because everyone is holding out for new machines. The majority of the collector's I know have no worries about spending 2.5-5k for a quality machine. These new game prices will not hold and these companies will have to rethink this aggressive wallet attacking. You want to sustain your business with cash flow and while you have to sell less when you're selling for more, you need to be selling.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Most "original themes" in pinball are actually "unlicensed themes". MM is Holy Grail, AFM is Mars Attacks, I personally ripped off Ghost Adventures, CC is Blazing Saddles, WOOLY is Clash of the Titans, etc. Everyone knows what rafting is, what pool is, what playing cards do...
You know what to expect. The games have the same tone and humor of the properties that inspired them. Maybe they poke fun at tropes or act as a parody.
Dialed In is truly an "original theme" - it's based off nothing anyone is familiar with. The cell phone seems to be a major feature but I think the game is more about a city and disasters? Not really sure. Nobody is, and that's why it's getting this sort of reaction.

I posted in the other thread phones are more of a tool. It's like doing a pin based on a screwdriver. There's nothing inherently interesting about a phone. Cell phones were a novelty in the 90s and that seems like where this theme came from.

I think they should have focused on the City and Superhero themes. Those make me want to play it. Along with a better title like Quantum City this could have been a more interesting reveal. I get that Dialed In is kind of a pinball pun but it won't draw people in on location.

I thought the stream was a detriment to the reveal. We couldn't get a good view of the pin and Pat was reluctant to tell us the features because he wanted us to discover it. The idea of revealing the pin through a stream was pretty cool and I was anxious to see it but I think Stern and Heighway's tactic of revealing high res pics before a stream is a better way of doing things.

I like the art despite it being a departure from Lawlor's previous humorous games. I'm sure the layout and code will be good. The animations on the big screen looked neat. I'd like to play it but there's no chance I'll ever buy it.

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

12.5K...wow. He just made the same mistake Stern did with BM66...Houdini will kill.

Well first it has to actually materialize and be fun and AP needs to make good... but yeah.. they do that and they will become serious contenders.

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

I'm really looking forward to playing it on location.

Me too, but is the location looking forward to dropping $9K for an unlicensed (read: poor earning) pin?

#350 7 years ago

Im not a fan of Jersey Jack. I like the idea of them but in my opinion the quality is just not there."feels like a made for home pinball" . Who knows maybe in a few years they will get their shit together but until then im done buying their pins altogether.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/down-to-72-hours-until-the-reveal-of-deep-dive/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.