Down post relay schem (resized).JPG
post relay manual diagram (resized).JPG
IMG_1428 (resized).JPG
IMG_1425 (resized).JPG
IMG_1427 (resized).JPG
IMG_1426 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys!

My girlfriends grandma was given a 1972 Williams Swinger machine years ago and I am currently trying to fix it. I have replaced several coils, the fuses, the rubbers, some bulbs, etc. The machine has been in a closed storage facility for about 15 years.

The main issue: whenever the "Down Post" buttons are lit up (because the post between the bumpers is up) and they get hit the game, the 15A Fuse blows. I could really use some help on this from anyone who has dealt with this machine or has a lot of knowledge with old EM's. The old coil that made the Post up/down movement was burnt out when I opened the machine for the first time, so I don't even know when it stopped working.

Pictures attached are the playfield so you can see the buttons/posts, the G-23-750 coil that replaced the burnt out post, and the post relay switch. Please let me know if you guys need any more information, and thanks a bunch!

IMG_1426 (resized).JPGIMG_1426 (resized).JPG

IMG_1427 (resized).JPGIMG_1427 (resized).JPG

IMG_1425 (resized).JPGIMG_1425 (resized).JPG

IMG_1428 (resized).JPGIMG_1428 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I suspect a short on one of the down post switches. Disconnect a wire off of a switch, then try it again. That will narrow down which switch is the problem. From there, follow the bad switch's wires and look for something touching that should not be.

#3 6 years ago

So when it comes to the down post there is the switch located directly under the button, and the switches next to the post which move it up or down, and I BELIEVE it is connected to the post relay switch too. All of them look correct to me with no wire damage (granted I have very limited pinball knowledge) so a few questions:

I noticed that the G-23-750 coil that I have replaced for the post has a resistor (maybe?) which none of the other do. It connects both sides by metal which I would assume is a problem?

On the "Post Relay" coil picture the far right switch (the metallic silver looking one) was almost fused shut when I saw it first. I cleaned it softly with a small file opened it which is what I think the schematics said (someone please double check this I am not the best at schematics).

#4 6 years ago

That is a diode across the coil terminals for a more modern DC voltage pinball game. On older AC voltage games like yours the diode should be cut out.

#5 6 years ago

To help visualize here are the post schematics and relay setup from a Straight Flush Williams pin. It should be very similar.

Alan

post relay manual diagram (resized).JPGpost relay manual diagram (resized).JPG

Down post relay schem (resized).JPGDown post relay schem (resized).JPG

Up post coil schem (resized).JPGUp post coil schem (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

Clip that diode off of the new coil and see if the problem goes away.

Alan

#7 6 years ago

Thank you so much! Once I cut the diode it worked perfectly.

My next problem to tackle is the score counter which never goes above 900. I plan on doing a deep clean and thorough check of the wires this weekend so hopefully I can fix it without needed help.

#8 6 years ago

Your scoring problem is probably going to be in the switches on the drums.
Here is how the switches work.

Alan

Williams score reels (resized).JPGWilliams score reels (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/down-post-button-blowing-fuses-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.