4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cosmokramer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ebe8ccb8d0bd9a84e21a12edf10944028ce90c22 (resized).jpg
    dcfb6eab9bca01283861d0fef5a89325f5318e28 (resized).jpg
    bd52ba2ba029dc09d64d9c8f558fdf2d970deff2 (resized).jpg
    3c568b2fe0b0eac8fbafb1b5c70c4f9aba52c023 (resized).jpg
    241b6f37107d14c905bbb1f9c25c19ac31d46de2 (resized).jpg
    Huse_Cabinet_Shooter_Hole_Incorrect_Size+Shape_(resized).jpg
    on-off_switch_hole_-_new_(problem)_(resized).jpg
    on-off_switch_hole_-_original_(resized).jpg
    Plumb_Tilt_alignmnet_holes_not_routed_(resized).jpg
    backbox_lock_ground_braid_(resized).jpg
    backbox_spacer_blocks_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Has anyone heard from Doug Huse at Let's Play Pinball lately? I've been trying to get in touch with him for nearly a month via email and phone and haven't got any response. Just want to check to see if everything is okay.

#2 4 years ago

I am going to stop by his shop sometime next week to see him. I know he was there just two weeks ago. Well at least I saw his van parked in front of his door.

#3 4 years ago

Hes hit or miss, but it seems to be more of a "miss" lately. I tried to get in touch with him a bunch of times between calls and emails.

But he did post a few things on Mr Pinball recently.

#4 4 years ago

I emailed him a couple weeks back about his backboxes. No response.

I've decided to restore the one I have instead, so he lost my business.

#5 4 years ago

A friend of mines shop is next door, thats the only reason I ever see him and a lot of the times he is not there when I am there. I don't think he is much of the email type of guy.

#6 4 years ago

I saw him a few weeks back - picked up my game he had - he look good.

#7 4 years ago

I wonder if something is going in in his life... weather, health, whatever. I've called, texted, and left voicemail and haven't heard a thing for many months.

2 weeks later
    #8 4 years ago

Bump for Doug!

#9 4 years ago

I've heard from Doug. Thanks for everyone's help.

#10 4 years ago

Love Doug's work-do not enjoy his lack of communication. Went with Virtuapin for my cabinets. Just another option for people.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

Love Doug's work-do not enjoy his lack of communication. Went with Virtuapin for my cabinets. Just another option for people.

There's probably a thread for this, but how to cabs from Virtuapin stack up against Doug's?

#12 4 years ago

I also went with Virtuapin , i have been trying to reach him for months he has my decals and i have left messages asking him to call me or just ship them back.

#13 4 years ago

I finally heard from Doug last week. Hope he is back making cabs, I have two more I need made.

#14 4 years ago

Does anyone make a dead-on copy of the 70's- early 80s Bally SS cabinets?

#15 4 years ago

I contracted with Doug over 14 months ago to build me a Judge Dredd cabinet. At that time, I sent him the cabinet artwork, including inside cabinet decals, which I had paid nearly $350. Even though I have sent him countless emails and phone messages, he has never had the courtesy to contact me. I have been ripped off. Buyer beware when dealing with Doug Huse.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from redmamanora:

I contracted with Doug over 14 months ago to build me a Judge Dredd cabinet. At that time, I sent him the cabinet artwork, including inside cabinet decals, which I had paid nearly $350. Even though I have sent him countless emails and phone messages, he has never had the courtesy to contact me. I have been ripped off. Buyer beware when dealing with Doug Huse.

Sorry for your loss. It's not limited to just you. I'm glad he never returned my multiple calls so I wouldn't be in your position. I found out by accident about Virtuapin. At the time I only thought Doug was the only option for cabinets. I saw his work at some shows and was very impressed. Not sure what the problem is with him. I heard health issues, overbooked, etc. Hope you get your cabinet soon.-Joe

9 months later
    #17 3 years ago

FWIW - I contracted with Doug to build me a full TZ cabinet back in December 2013. Send him screened decals I had on hand.
    About 6 months later, May 2014, he told me the cabinet was ready and I send full payment. I received the cabinet a short time later.
    I'd consider that a reasonable time frame.

I finally got around to unboxing it in November 2015 and began the cabinet swap process.

I did run into some problems and send him a few emails between 11/24/2014 and 12/6/2014 letting him know if the problems I found and the suggestions I came up with -- I sincerely wanted to help him make his product even better.

Unfortunately, I never received a confirmation nor a reply. What follows is a list of problems I'd sent him:

Biggest cabinet problems:

1) The triangular-shaped shooter hole is considerably off from the original -- both is shape and placement. This presents a serious problem as the shooter rod actually hits the top of the apron assembly and not the ball -- even when siting at it's lowest point in the mounting hole. We expanded the hole and believe it or not, that extra 1/8" gap that provides additional problems -- specifically the back bracket no longer makes contact on the top edge!

2) The power switch 'hole' in the bottom of the cabinet is a different size as compared to the routed 'hole' in the secondary board that is tacked above it. TZ's high-voltage switchbox mounts vertically, and apparently the Huse cabinet didn't take this into account. Some games have the high voltage box mounted horizontal, and I suspect that his routed hole placement would have been appropriate for them.

3) The wms warning was screened on the backbox, however the patents were not screened on the back of the cabinet. There is no reason the patent screen print should have been left off the cabinet.

Lesser cabinet problems:

4) There should be 2 routed holes for the alignment of the plumb tilt plastic bracket. We continued on be grinding off the plastic alignment nubs from the bracket. Not correct. Not ideal, but not a show stopper.

5) Pre-drilling the hole for the playfield support arm pivot screw would have been beneficial. Unless of course, not all cabinets use this support arm? Obviously tough to do in the field without a press to create a perfectly perpendicular hole -- if I hand-drill and my alignment is off by a couple degrees, that is a problem.

6) Pre-drilling the screw holes (not thru-holes), or possibly providing a paper template with hole locations, specifically for the coin door circuit board and the plum tilt area would be of great benefit and would save us time measuring and lining those items up.

7) Coin box lock bracket attaches with #6 machine screws to #6 T-nuts. Huse cabinet had #8 T-nuts installed. We changed them out and continued.

8.) The cabinet flipper button holes were actually too small for the flipper buttons. I measured the hole diameter with my digital calipers, and the Huse cabinet holes read 0.60". My original cabinet read 0.65". That 0.05" made the different. Took a barrel sander bit to them with my Dremel and we continued on.

9) The diameter of the holes for the backbox hinge parts needed to be increased by a bit. Probably about the same as the flipper button holes needed to be.

There were also some minor suggestions we had for the Huse-built backbox:

10) The perforated metal that covers the vent holes in the backbox wasn't included. Figured this may have been an oversight since Huse did include the perforated metal piece for the vent holes in the cabinet.

11) A ground strip was missing. One should have ran from the center screw of the vent hole metal up to the lock plate on the top front of the backbox. We scavenged a piece and added it.

12) Might consider adding the wood vertical alignment/spacer blocks to the base of the backbox. These wood blocks allow for quick placement and installation of the metal PCB holder into the backbox. I'm not sure all titles came with these. I think some did and some didn't and other even included a third alignment block on the left side for horizontal alignment too.

Doug makes a good product -- a product that is needed by the hobby. Let's hope he's ok, and starts returning communication and listens to the suggestions from his customers.

Huse_Cabinet_Shooter_Hole_Incorrect_Size+Shape_(resized).jpg
    on-off_switch_hole_-_new_(problem)_(resized).jpg
    on-off_switch_hole_-_original_(resized).jpg
    Plumb_Tilt_alignmnet_holes_not_routed_(resized).jpg
    backbox_spacer_blocks_(resized).jpg
    backbox_lock_ground_braid_(resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago

Yeah...I called and emailed, interested in having him build an AFM cabinet. Never heard back, so I said "F it" and decided to just renovate the one I have with shitloads of Bondo and sandpaper.

#19 3 years ago

As I previously posted, buyer beware when dealing with Doug Huse. DO NOT TRUST HIM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

#20 3 years ago

Maybe he's been busy making all the cabinets for Zidware?

#21 3 years ago

That is a shame. I had only had good dealing with him. He built me a few games that are mint. Sorry for your troubles.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

That is a shame. I had only had good dealing with him. He built me a few games that are mint. Sorry for your troubles.

Just about to respond the say way. I haven't dealt with him for a couple years now but had nothing but great dealings with him in the past.

#23 3 years ago

Doug had built a number of cabinets for me in the past without issues of any sort. I then contacted him in Feb. 2014 to build a Judge Dredd cabinet which required me to send him cabinet decals that cost me $350. Months go by with nothing from Doug. I sent him numerous emails. phone messages, without response from Doug, over those two years. Maybe I'm just being impatient, after all, it's only been two years.

#24 3 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Duplicate post?

#25 3 years ago

I know he is not doing so well health wise. It's a shame, the guy is one of the best out there at what he does. Great quality.

#26 3 years ago

No problems with Doug but that was years ago when he did some cabs for me that went to hep. Don't want to sound harsh here but last few times I saw him at shows like Allentown (a few years ago now) he just didn't look good health wise to me. Sorry some of you guys lost money / parts.

#27 3 years ago

Hope the guy gets better soon. Being sick sucks. It can make it very difficult to take care of the day to day things. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can take care of those that sent him anything.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hope the guy gets better soon. Being sick sucks. It can make it very difficult to take care of the day to day things. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can take care of those that sent him anything.

Hopefully he can start attending more shows also. Like Pintastic.

#29 3 years ago

Not sure if plugging the show is appropriate given Doug's health status.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Not sure if plugging the show is appropriate given Doug's health status.

Sure it is. My mother-in-law is due to croak any day, but I still hope everybody goes to Pintastic New England. Great show!

(And if I was sick, I'd want Gabe to plug his show anywhere and everywhere. Life goes on...)

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Hopefully he can start attending more shows also. Like Pintastic.

That was not a plug for the show. Doug gave me a IJ cabinet for free when I first started out in the hobby. He let me hang out at his shop a few times and showed me what he did. Recently I have called him and emailed him many time with no response. He has been a fixture at Allentown for many years. I hope he gets better soon and starts to go to shows again the near future. If you reading this Doug get well soon.

#32 3 years ago

Doug has sent me replacement heads for Williams cabs, all were great. But even then communication sucked.

Pick up the phone or return emails Doug, especially if you have people's property and money tied up.

#33 3 years ago

Doug is an excellent craftsman. Top notch stuff!

Hoping he gets better soon.

#34 3 years ago

I've dealt with Doug on numerous occasions for car-related restos. In case anyone here didn't know, Doug brings his expertise from doing top-notch auto restorations. His attention to detail is without equal. If you think pinheads can be pedantic, try dealing with auto restoration.
    I ran into Doug not too long ago when I was doing business in CT and he was fine health-wise. Unless he's keeping a sickness to himself (which is HIS business, not ours) he looked fine. A brief conversation with him gave me the impression that he refuses to deal with the drama usually present on this forum.I cannot say I blame him. Now, before any drama ensues, I realize that this does not preclude him from answering emails, returning calls, etc. But as long as he's not stealing money from anyone, we'll all just have to deal with it.

2 years later
    #35 1 year ago

Guys, bumping an old thread.

Is Doug Huse still the guy for WPC cabinet replacements? I emailed him but when I tried his phone number it is no longer connected.

If Doug is no longer making cabs, Any other recommendations for WPC cab or - more specifically - just the backbox head?

Thanks

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

Guys, bumping an old thread.
    Is Doug Huse still the guy for WPC cabinet replacements? I emailed him but when I tried his phone number it is no longer connected.
    If Doug is no longer making cabs, Any other recommendations for WPC cab or - more specifically - just the backbox head?
    Thanks

I am building and selling WPC cabinets and heads...pm sent

241b6f37107d14c905bbb1f9c25c19ac31d46de2 (resized).jpg
    3c568b2fe0b0eac8fbafb1b5c70c4f9aba52c023 (resized).jpg
    bd52ba2ba029dc09d64d9c8f558fdf2d970deff2 (resized).jpg
    dcfb6eab9bca01283861d0fef5a89325f5318e28 (resized).jpg

ebe8ccb8d0bd9a84e21a12edf10944028ce90c22 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside