Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Eric_S
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm trying to find the ROM file for Williams "Doubled Up" Flipper ROM for a System 7 MPU to be able to run System 6 games. Specifically, I have a Time Warp (System 6) but the MPU is a System 7. I'm also looking for the ROM code for Time Warp too. Let me know if you can point me in the right direction.

#2 5 years ago

I am unaware of any doubled up flipper ROMS for that purpose. Sounds like they just take a 2K image and concatenate two copies of it to make it a 4K.

A system 7 board can run system 6 roms, but the jumpers need to be changed on the MPU board so it behaves like a system 6. When it does this, the 2532 (4K chip) can be replaced by a 2716 (2k chip) so you wont need any doubled up images.

You can find the time warp images here: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms.html

#3 5 years ago

I found information about doubling up the flipper ROM at Mark's Williams repair guides: http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart1.asp

System 7 MPU boards can be used in System 4 to 6 games. System 3 games (games using the White Flipper ROMs) can be run on System 7 boards, however you will need to accept the "factory" settings since most System 7 boards lack the DIP switches required to program the options. There are two ways to run the software on a System 7 board. The first requires a series of jumper changes (soldering required), the second is to used a "doubled up" Flipper ROM and the existing game ROM. This method requires no jumper changes. You can get the new Flipper ROMs here.

I was hoping to avoid changing anything major, but I can deal with normal jumper changes.

#4 5 years ago

The old Marvin repair guides from Clay had this description:
Running System3 to System6 Firmware in a System7 CPU Board.
By far the most versatile CPU board in the System3 to System7 era is the System7 CPU. It can run any System3, System4, System6 or System7 game firmware. It can also drive a six digit or seven digit master score display panel. So if there's one CPU board to have, it's the System7 board.
The only caveat to this is System3 to System6 game firmware needs a special Flipper ROMs for the System7 CPU board. The two White (system3), Yellow (system4), or Green (system6) 2716 Flipper EPROMs need to be combined into a single 2532 EPROM, which will plug into socket IC17 on the System7 CPU board (the existing system7 Blue Flipper ROMs will not work with the older system3 to system6 games).

The stock System3 to System6 2716 Game ROM (IC14) can be used on the System7 CPU board at IC14 (the only except to this statement applies to Firepower, see below). All other EPROMs should be removed from the System7 CPU board. The best part is no System7 CPU jumpers need to be changed for this configuration (assuming the System7 CPU board is set for any game other than Hyperball/Defender).

For example, to combine the two "Green" 2716 Flipper EPROMs into a single 2532, the following MS-DOS command can be executed:

copy /b grn1ic20.716 + grn2ic17.716 grn_ic17.532

This MS-DOS command does a binary copy of the Green1 (IC20) Flipper ROM, adding to the back of it the Green2 (IC17) Flipper ROM, and putting the two separate 2716 files into a new combined 2532 file. The same thing can be done for the White and Yellow flipper ROMs, and for the special World Cup Flipper ROMs. If preferred, these files have already been copied and can be downloaded by clicking here: System3 to System6 Flipper ROMs for the System7 CPU. Again remember, the stock System3 to System6 2716 Game ROM (IC14) can be used on the System7 CPU board at IC14 (the only except to this statement applies to Firepower, see below).

#5 5 years ago

It looks like the two 2716 Green Flipper ROMS can be combined on a 2532 EPROM at IC17 and the Time Warp game ROM can be put on the regulator 2716 EPROM at IC14. If anyone has any experience, please chime in to confirm.

#7 5 years ago

You just need to go into the dos window and type copy /b green1.716 + green2.716 green12.532 and burn it onto a 2532 chip. Put this in ic17 on the system 7 board. Put the gamerom onto a 2716 and put it into IC14. With the stock jumpers for Black Knight on the system 7 board this is the correct configuration.

The thing that is nice about bad jumper/eprom combinations is that you can't hurt the board by putting in the wrong chip in the wrong socket - it just won't work. (unless you plug the eprom in backwards, that usually hoses the eprom).

Also, the factory settings on any gamerom can be edited with a hex editor to your desired options if you don't have the dip switches. The checksum will fail if you press the test button unless you compensate, but the game will actually run fine. This is nice for the white system rom games since the dip switch entry system was probably the worst way williams could have done it.

#8 5 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the additional information!

1 week later
#9 5 years ago

I just wanted to follow-up that I was able to get the doubled up flipper ROMs as described above and they work great. I ordered them here: http://www.hobbyroms.com/

Now on to the rest of the repairs!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

750 (Firm)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doubled-up-flipper-rom-for-system-7-mpu?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.