(Topic ID: 183859)

Double match for 10 replays, a rare occurrence?

By o-din

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5347 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_4512 (resized).png
Screenshot_4510 (resized).png
2098f1 (resized).jpg
DSC02110 (resized).JPG
DSCN5305 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

First one I've ever seen. Coquette just rattled off ten credits.

DSCN5305 (resized).JPGDSCN5305 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Do it lots on games with circuit boards, not sure if I've ever done it on an EM.

Although, at Pinfest some guy/girl scored 1,111 on my Domino with a match of 1. Phone died just as I was about to take a picture, what awful timing...

#3 7 years ago

happened on my Bronco a few moths ago

#4 7 years ago

Quadruple match on an EM is noisy. I heard quite a few back in the day.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1 in 100 odds. ??

10 credits for two matches?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quadruple match on an EM is noisy. I heard quite a few back in the day.
LTG : )

Try Neptune in novelty mode...

#7 7 years ago

Once, while testing score reels, I hit four.DSC02110 (resized).JPGDSC02110 (resized).JPG
At first I thought my knocker was broken.

#8 7 years ago

Sometimes my firepower will do 3 ..

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

10 credits for two matches?

Yep, it's one of those games that's adjustable for 5 or 10 replays. I've seen more than one player match in the past, but not on one of these where the knocker strikes ten times. It was kind of alarming but very satisfying to hear it work.

#10 7 years ago

I remember Bruce Moyer always had some fun reviews on IPDB. Nothing he loved more than a good double match award!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

1 in 100 odds. ??

10 x10 x 10 is more like 1 in 1000, but of all the games I have with the double match feature and all the games we have played on them, this was the first time.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I remember Bruce Moyer always had some fun reviews on IPDB. Nothing he loved more than a good double match award!

Right here, very same game. I was looking to play El Toro, but Bob picked Coquette. I walked outside when I was done and heard that knocker go crazy.

#13 7 years ago

o-din, I agree with most things you post, even your sense of humor, but not with your math today

The odds that the machine would match all 3's is indeed 1 in a 1000. However the odds to match any number are just 1 in 100.

Poor explanation:

Odds of 1st player ending on any number is 10 in 10. There is no way you can end a game without a last digit.
Odds of second player matching the 1st player is 1 in 10
Odds of match score matching the 1st player is 1 in 10, so
1x10x10 = 100

A different way to calculate it is adding up the odds of each possible combination:
0's = 1 in 1000 = .001
1's = 1 in 1000 = .001
2's = 1 in 1000 = .001, and so on
adding all ten would be .010 or 1 in 100

Just helped my son with probability in stats class, so I'm right or he got a bad grade on his homework and didn't tell me.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

10 Credits for a double match, is that a feature that is controlled by a Jones Plug? Or does it usually award 5 Credits for a match?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

10 Credits for a double match, is that a feature that is controlled by a Jones Plug? Or does it usually award 5 Credits for a match?

It is adjustable with a jones plug to award 2, 5, or 10 credits.

To put this in perspective why this is might be such a rare occurrence in the year 2017, the match feature itself first showed up in the early to mid 50s and the double match feature where you could win up to 10 replays was only used on Williams and Gottlieb multiplayer games until the early 60s.

Most EM collectors of that era seem to have the single player games and I'm guessing two or four player games from that short period of time rarely have more than one player on them at a time. I have 4 games with this feature and they have two players on them quite often and of the hundreds, maybe thousands of two player games we have put on them, this is the first time it's happened. Heck, most games made in the last 10 years don't even come with a real knocker.

I'd like to hear when the last time anybody else with one of these multiplayer games that can award up to 10 replays with a double match actually had that happen.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

o-din, I agree with most things you post, even your sense of humor, but not with your math today

My math is good, my spelling not so much. I have edited the thread title and corrected my spelling.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd like to hear when the last time anybody else with one of these multiplayer games that can award up to 10 replays with a double match actually had that happen

Nice feature. Thanks for clarifying the info.

Back in 1975 or 1976. My friends and I were playing a pin with 4 players. 3 of us were awarded the match. I can remember that, as to which game, couldn't remember what game it was. Still it was just one game per match.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Back in 1975 or 1976. My friends and I were playing a pin with 4 players. 3 of us were awarded the match. I can remember that, as to which game, couldn't remember what game it was. Still it was just one game per match.

That's not such an uncommon occurrence I guess as it has happened on other games, but on each of the ones I have with the 10 replay option I set them up like that and wondered if when and if it ever happened, it would actually work,

Serenade is the oldest machine I have with this feature and you can see the description of it on the flyer.

2098f1 (resized).jpg2098f1 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

Could picture an EM Arcade during a quiet time. Then that knocker going off 10 times would only raise the suspicious floor supervisor to come over to see what those 2 pesky teens are doing to their pinball machine.

Is there a list of the Williams games that had this feature? Other than looking through the 60's multi player pins on IPDB.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd like to hear when the last time anybody else with one of these multiplayer games that can award up to 10 replays with a double match actually had that happen.

When I was a teenager I had just bought a 2-player Gottlieb Seven Seas and I always played both players at the same time. One day I got a double match for 10 replays then the very next two games I played, again I got the double match. Twice in a row. I was impressed!

For Gottlieb games, at game over the motor turns and there are five teeth that, on a double match, will pulse five times. Seven Seas can only award 2 or 10 replays on a double match (no option for 5 replays). For 10 replays, you hear 5 knocker thwacks and the replay wheel steps two replays per thwack. This is achieved by a second, larger replay step-up coil on the replay unit that advances two steps at a time. I presume for those games that can also award 5 replays, the regular replay step-up coil is what is pulsed 5 times.

Anyway, that's how Gottlieb did it. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on how Williams did it. I spot-checked our Williams images and did not see a second step-up coil on the replay unit.

I try to tag each listing that has double match so a list can easily be had. In Advanced Search, enter this into Notable Features:

double.match

You will notice the period between the words above which makes it a unique search phrase. You will get this admittedly incomplete list:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ft=double.match&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

You can otherwise identify these games on the IPDB by looking for pictures of inside the backbox for two replay unit step-up coils, at least for Gottlieb.

If your game on the IPDB does not have a full "Inside backbox" picture, we would love to receive a hi-res image from you. Our only "Inside Backbox" image for Coquette is very old and really too small to be of much value.

Thank you,

Jay

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Anyway, that's how Gottlieb did it. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on how Williams did it. I spot-checked our Williams images and did not see a second step-up coil on the replay unit.

I haven't really inspected the workings of it, but it was two sets of five knocks.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I think everyone can agree the odds of a match for any one player is 1 in 10. I'm not good at math, but am using my playing experience. My matches don't come 1 in a 100 games, my matches come about every 10 games.

That kind of makes sense, but the odds of your score landing on any particular number are one 1 in 10. Which are the same odds of a match landing on any particular number. Put the two together and it should make the odds greater than one or the other. Maybe not 100-1, but greater just the same. Maybe 20-1? As good as math as I am, that's a tough one to figure.

As far as the double match, it's taken probably at least 1000 games between the four machines before we hit it once.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

The odds that the machine would match all 3's is indeed 1 in a 1000. However the odds to match any number are just 1 in 100.
Poor explanation:
Odds of 1st player ending on any number is 10 in 10. There is no way you can end a game without a last digit.
Odds of second player matching the 1st player is 1 in 10
Odds of match score matching the 1st player is 1 in 10, so
1x10x10 = 100
A different way to calculate it is adding up the odds of each possible combination:
0's = 1 in 1000 = .001
1's = 1 in 1000 = .001
2's = 1 in 1000 = .001, and so on
adding all ten would be .010 or 1 in 100
Just helped my son with probability in stats class, so I'm right or he got a bad grade on his homework and didn't tell me.

This is correct.

#25 7 years ago

Edit-

#26 7 years ago

Actually I think this may not be correct. Reason being tilt disqualifies player which does happen and I think (I'll have to check to make sure) that may also disqualify him from matching as well. So that would throw a whole extra set of variables x3, one for each player possibly tilting, and one for both players tilting.

Again, I would need to verify this, but if true odds of the double match and winning ten credits would be way more than 100-1 no matter which number.

#27 7 years ago

I just checked a schematic of a similar game and tilt does indeed disqualify player from matching.

Any of you other math geniuses want to take a stab at it now?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

IIRC, it was in the summer of 1975 and I was playing a woodrail, Gottlieb's Gondolier with a some friends. I thought a cannon went off listening to the knocker popping off. Then I looked at the credit window and saw 10 credits. We were amazed.

#29 7 years ago

Great, we got one in 1975, two in a row when IPDB was a teenager, and the one last night. So far...

By the way, I was player one and lost that game. Bob always insists on going last, and that's OK as he is a guest and it's better than playing by myself. Pretty surprising we are both still alive after all these years. I knew him in high school.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just checked a schematic of a similar game and tilt does indeed disqualify player from matching.
Any of you other math geniuses want to take a stab at it now?

What level of inebriation are we talking here? For every drink, cut it in half and double it.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

What level of inebriation are we talking here? For every drink, cut it in half and double it.

Too many variables there for me to come up with an algebraic formula that will work... hic..... but I was well into it last night and didn't tilt it.

These tilt disqualifying games can be pretty mean sometimes and I've got them set up just right.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Speaking of numbers, this is the first time this has ever happened to me I think...:

Screenshot_4510 (resized).pngScreenshot_4510 (resized).png

EDIT: Oh snap, double match!

Screenshot_4512 (resized).pngScreenshot_4512 (resized).png

#33 7 years ago

Pop..pop..pop..pop..pop......pop..pop..pop..pop..pop!

#35 7 years ago

Not yet, but we are going to try. I guess this really isn't something you try to do. I've got other games that'll rattle off a bunch of knocks just by sheer effort and a little luck.

3 weeks later
#36 7 years ago

We've got two now so that makes at least five since 1975.

DSCN5347 (resized).JPGDSCN5347 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/double-match-a-rare-occurance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.