• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Space-Odyssey-Work-02 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hoping this might be an easy one for you em guys. on my space odyssey, if double bonus is lit it counts down the bonus on the inserts but no score is achieved. scoring works normally in countdown on those inserts in the center of the playfield and add score otherwise. I'm not sure what I need to check on to get double bonus to see the score. Thanks for any advice

#2 5 years ago

If single bonus scores and double bonus doesn't, inspect and diagnose this circuit with alligator clip jumper wires, starting with the 2 indicated switches.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If single bonus scores and double bonus doesn't, inspect and diagnose this circuit with alligator clip jumper wires, starting with the 2 indicated switches.
[quoted image]

I appreciate you taking the time to find that. I'm not so great at translating that into real life I see a bunch of ewlays that are labelled, but nothing "double bonus" , if I am thinking correctly, it is one of the wheel mechs (sorry, don't know the term) attached to the bottom of the playfield.

#4 5 years ago

Examine your score motor and make sure it has all the spacers. Take a photo and post it if you're not sure

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I see a bunch of ewlays that are labelled, but nothing "double bonus" , if I am thinking correctly, it is one of the wheel mechs (sorry, don't know the term) attached to the bottom of the playfield.

The Double Bonus relay isn't one of the stepper units attached to the playfield.
If some of your relays are missing their labels, your manual has a section toward the back that has a picture of every relay.
Looking at the schematic, I see that the Double Bonus relay coil has a Black&Green wire on one side and a Red wire on the other side.

#6 5 years ago

Thank you! Going to look around in there now

#7 5 years ago

Man, it's frustrating poking around not knowing what the hell things do. EMs are totally different animals. I notice too that after each game, the match number is 50 every time. I can't find anything with those colored wires, and I'm afraind of messing around and screwing something else up. The game plays, and scores. I just don't get the connection . If it counts down the bonus inserts, why would they not send the signal to add score? The scoring works correctly when not in double bonus. It hurts my brain.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm afraind of messing around and screwing something else up

Good impulse. This forum is full of posts from people who tried shotgun cleaning & adjustments, and caused more problems than they were originally trying to solve. What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

Quoted from yzfguy:

If it counts down the bonus inserts, why would they not send the signal to add score?

If one of the switches in my first post isn't working right, then power won't make it to the 1000 Point relay.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/double-bonus-not-scoring#post-4735800

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Good impulse. This forum is full of posts from people who tried shotgun cleaning & adjustments, and caused more problems than they were originally trying to solve. What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

If one of the switches in my first post isn't working right, then power won't make it to the 1000 Point relay.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/double-bonus-not-scoring#post-4735800

I'm thinking I might just not "get" this. Kinda like how I could never understand how people read music it's gonna take someone pointing out physically on the game which switches they are. I can't interpret that out of a diagram. I may buy schematics for it and try to educate myself.

#10 5 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your phone # in a private message

#11 5 years ago

Look for the instruction manual on ipdb.org.
Must look at the four player version Space Mission.
On the last pages the relays and contacts are described, as far as I can see it should be a contact on double bonus, bonus or ball index.

I find the manual easier to understand and to read then the schematics.

#12 5 years ago

According to the Space Mission manual your Double Bonus relay is on the playfield.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your phone # in a private message

Thanks, guys. And thanks for the nice offer. I have a feeling I would just frustrate you on the phone, but I will let ya know if I get to that point

#14 5 years ago

Also- the match being stuck on 50 is typical of an unshopped game. The match unit is basically a small stepper motor sandwiched between a couple circuit boards with a bunch of copper traces on them- arrayed kinda like petals on a flower. Those traces are the contacts for the 0-9 match lights and circuit. Most likely the stepper motor part is gummed up and siezed. You can take these apart and clean them and they typically are trouble free in home use after being shopped. If its always been this way since you got the game its likely this. If it just started and happened along side something else its probably a different cause.

My advice is IGNORE this one for now... but please post here when it started doing this and if it was at the same time an other problem started.

Those are more conplicated than they look at least in terms of mechanical and the number of components and the number of screws you need to remove to fully clean them. Wait until your a little more familiar with the game- its not affecting game play.

#15 5 years ago

Hi yzfguy
we players may believe "stepping down the Bonus-Ladder makes on every step the 1000-Point-Score-Drum to step". Not true, true is: Two features happen at the same time - stepping down the Bonus-Ladder - pulsing the 1000-Point-Relay to give points.
See the JPG, single Bonus - switch B on Impulse Cam fires 5 times per turn of 180 degrees (Score-Motor) - the Bonus-Unit is stepped down. At the same time another switch, switch-C (also on Impulse Cam) fires 5 times per turn of 180 degrees (Score-Motor) - the 1000-Point-Relay is made to pull-in - and again and again ...
See the JPG, double bonus - limitation in time (scoring points) makes it necessary to slow down on the stepping --- see the bottom of the JPG - Brown question marks: The area where the fault is. Greetings Rolf

0Space-Odyssey-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Space-Odyssey-Work-02 (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Also- the match being stuck on 50 is typical of an unshopped game. The match unit is basically a small stepper motor sandwiched between a couple circuit boards with a bunch of copper traces on them- arrayed kinda like petals on a flower. Those traces are the contacts for the 0-9 match lights and circuit. Most likely the stepper motor part is gummed up and siezed. You can take these apart and clean them and they typically are trouble free in home use after being shopped. If its always been this way since you got the game its likely this. If it just started and happened along side something else its probably a different cause.
My advice is IGNORE this one for now... but please post here when it started doing this and if it was at the same time an other problem started.
Those are more conplicated than they look at least in terms of mechanical and the number of components and the number of screws you need to remove to fully clean them. Wait until your a little more familiar with the game- its not affecting game play.

I'm not really sure when the match stopped changing. For many years, this game has a really badly flaking back glass. It belonged to my father in law back in the 70s and lived in a bar he owned. Then sat in a basement for years. He recently passed away and I just put in a brand new repro back glass and LEDs. Now you can actually see what ball is in play and which match number is illuminated

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/double-bonus-not-scoring?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.