(Topic ID: 81916)

DOT Matrix Displays (DMD) and Repairing missing Lines.

By Jesterfunhouse

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by waldo34
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey Everyone! I have heard bits and pieces of advice on repairing lines that you have out in a DMD Display. I have two displays that have lines out but no other issues or burnin. I did a search and came across this posting on one way of fixing them.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-a-dead-dmd-column-or-row-cherry-4205-dmd#post-322440

Has anyone else had success in repairing DMD's lines in this same manner?

Does anyone have a different repair success formula.

The lines are not that bad so I don't want to destroy an other wise good display so would like to hear the best info out there.

#2 10 years ago

Best info, throw it away and spend the $150 for a new one. They have been around for 24 years and no one fixes them for a reason. Wether it's burn in, missing dots, what ever.. U can't beat the look of a brand new one... Or a color dmd if u can swing it
    Over n out!

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Best info, throw it away and spend the $150 for a new one. They have been around for 24 years and no one fixes them for a reason. Wether it's burn in, missing dots, what ever.. U can't beat the look of a brand new one... Or a color dmd if u can swing it
    Over n out!

Thanks where is the best/cheapest place to get new DMD's. Cheapest I have seen them is For $199 on Marco...

#4 10 years ago

pinball life is like 174

#6 10 years ago

What about solid color displays (Such as all Green or all Blue)? Anyone know the best place to pick one up and are they plug and play?

#7 10 years ago

If it is an entire row or column, and the display looks great otherwise, you can fix it. If your going for a fully restored pristine machine, buy a new one. If its a players machine, nothing wrong with trying to fix it, you wont see the fix when the display is mounted in the machine, and it will work perfectly if done correctly. Most of the time the connection is broken and it is VERY easy to solder a jumper wire in there. Worth looking into.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from dieseldogpi:

If it is an entire row or column, and the display looks great otherwise, you can fix it. If your going for a fully restored pristine machine, buy a new one. If its a players machine, nothing wrong with trying to fix it, you wont see the fix when the display is mounted in the machine, and it will work perfectly if done correctly. Most of the time the connection is broken and it is VERY easy to solder a jumper wire in there. Worth looking into.

These are machines I don't plan on getting rid of and other than the lines that are out the displays look fine. Is getting into the glass the only way to get a jumper in there or are their other fixes you can try before permanently cutting the glass?

#9 10 years ago

no other fixes, if there is no visible tab to solder on, the glass needs to be cut.

#10 10 years ago

Steve Young also has new for $159+shipping

http://pbresource.com/display.html

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago

Who has the best deal on solid color DMD Displays such as Red or Blue or Green?

#12 10 years ago

I fixed one using silver paste. It came in a syringe type thing and basically I used it to connect the broken pins for the rows that were out.

It did work, but it generally is just a temporary fix. It may fix it for several months or a year, but most likely the issue will come back.

In the end I put a new display in it.

#13 10 years ago

Can you jump a pin that works to the line that doesn't to get it to temporarily work or is that a bad idea?

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Steve Young also has new for $159+shipping
    http://pbresource.com/display.html
    viperrwk

Get them here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dot-matrix-displays-dmd-and-repairing-missing-lines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.