Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by oldtowner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi Folks, I bought a Doozie a year ago. Very dirty but fully working (except credits have to be added by manually turning credit wheel). Played it a few times, worked well. Decided to start a cleanup with the playfield, so that I could properly wax it to protect from further wear while I had an occasional game during the general cleanup. Removed pop bumpers, touched up worn areas. Removed playfield so that i could clear spray a few of the heavy touchup areas. Replaced playfield, re- assembled pop bumpers (new bodies, skirts) and wired the pop lights back in.

Tried the game - and it's stuck on TILT. Backbox and playfield light up. Pressing play button will start the score motor and (if I add a score manually to the reels) take the reels back to zero. But no activity on the playfield - pop bumpers, buttons etc all dead (as if waiting for the new game to start). Plumb bob is clear of the sides, tilt rail switch is open, and the Tilt switch under the playfield (near the trough) is also open and looks OK. I can see a Tilt Relay (TILT RE) on the schematic, but I can't find it in the game. Jones plugs are properly seated. I haven't touched the coin door, or removed bottom board. :sick:My experience is limited, so now I'm stumped. Any suggestions very welcome.

#2 7 years ago

Hi
Dont have that pin, but would suspect something on the playfield got bumped along the way.
have you chked all the step units under play field for proper op?
Jones plugs back correctly?
any stuck switches on play field?

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Doc - but .... I had a look for disturbed switches etc - no luck so far. I'm back in the workshop tomorrow, hoping someone can suggest something else meanwhile.

#4 7 years ago

Have a look at http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/624/Williams_1968_Daffie_Instruction_Manual_no_schematics.pdf

Look at the Game Over Relay details. I don't see a tilt relay in the manual?

After you press the "Start" button and it resets score reels, what lights are on in the backglass? Are Tilt & Game Over on?

#5 7 years ago

I've been looking through my paperwork here at home, and just found photocopies of the Doozie manual (I didn't know it was online). I'll need to try to make sense of the Tilt Relay anomaly when I get back to the workshop tomorrow.

I think it's just the Tilt light that's on, not the Game Over light. But I'll check all this out and give a better report tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions so far. My experience is very limited, so all advice welcome.

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

OK- all fixed. Five problems. Playfield support arm was loose, and had snagged a wire on the Relay Bank activator arm 115v coil and broken it. (That coil is VERY close to the edge of the board.) Re-soldered. Game wouldn't restart, and then the '1' rollovers wouldn't operate. Two relay switches on the same bank had been disturbed somehow, switches needed adjusting. Two switches on the slingshots were permanently closed, due to tighter new rubbers. Adjusted those. Worked through each problem logically and slowly, and with the help of the manual and schematic and some careful eyeballing eventually got there. Thanks for the suggestions. Now back to the cabinet restoration........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, PA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doozie-1968-stuck-on-tilt?hl=oldtowner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.