(Topic ID: 263818)

Doom as a pinball theme

By Diospinball

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So I bought the ps4 doom slayer pack. Was only 20 dollars and got me the 2016 doom, the original doom with all 4 episodes, doom 2 and doom 3.
Been playing my way through the original doom. While also from time to time playing the 2016 version.

I only ever had the shareware version of doom, which was the first episode. Never had the other ones. Man, really loving this game. Only playing on the default difficulty. I think that's a nice mix of challenge and fun to be honest. Just want to relax and blow stuff up.

I love retro games. Berzerk and Frenzy and beat em ups are some of my favorite games. Recently I also got into playing burger time(finally beat not just the first level but also the 2nd... Still working on the 3rd). Anyway... Really, really loving doom.
Its just so fast and frenetic. And just fun. Something I think can be missing from modern games.

While playing I began to think. Doom would make for a really cool theme. You could do a retro themed, or modern themed... I'd prefer retro. But, you also could maybe combine the two and have the retro mode be a wizard mode. Or maybe you progress and the graphics get better and better as you progress through the game.

I just think so many cool opportunities for mechs and modes. The game wouldn't be for everyone. And in some regards it is an old persons theme and not youth driven. But, man... Cool art, GREAT music, and just a fun theme.
Don't know if it could ever happen. Was just a silly thought I had in my head. Mainly I can't wait to beat all the chapters in the first Doom and move on to Doom II... Yep basically 20 years after it came out I'll finally play it!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

There was a home brew at TPF last year. Was pretty bad ass

I can bet. For me I'd do a pops animation where everytime the ball went into them different monsters would show the kill animation... And I would maybe... Actually tie that into some kind of drop target rewards system. Where you hit the drops you get a gun. ANother completion shotgun...
And then when you go into the pops depending on your weapon is what you hit the monsters with.
And so this means how quickly you can destroy them.
And I'd tie a bonus in with the monsters that you destroyed each ball. And not just the pops. That would be one way though. The goal would be frenetic and vicious and brutal stuff always happening.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Pinball FX has a Doom table that’s a lot of fun

Depending on if you can catch it on sale might be worth a few flips.
Not a big fan of their work. But, I do play their bally tables every so often.
I do prefer Pinball arcade. But, they do have some cool features that TPA does not have.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doom-as-a-pinball-theme?tu=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.