IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_2283 (resized).jpg
IMG_2109 (resized).png
IMG_2101 (resized).png
IMG_2100 (resized).png
IMG_2091 (resized).png
IMG_2096 (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I'll start this thread by simply saying I'm hooked.

In a nutshell... I am a recent empty nester, having just sent my daughter to college. My wife suggested I find a new hobby to fill my time. Good advice, but I had no idea what I wanted to do. I saw a youtube video on pinball, my wife and I have always enjoyed playing pinball, so I figured I would look for a machine to restore.

I started looking at online ads and eventually connected with @ryanbrooks. I told him what I was looking to do and that I don't shy away from a challenge and tend to go overboard when jumping into a project. He suggested a Doodle Bug.

The cabinet was rough and had been painted over with latex paint. Someone really wanted it to be a Beatles cabinet.

Ryan had a second playfield with most parts that had not been painted. Between the two, I had everything I needed to get started. But the first order of business was stripping the cabinet down.

I had hoped the latex would come off and allow me to stencil out the original artwork. That did not happen, and I ended up taking it down to the wood. Even though it was a lot of work, it paid off, allowing me to find and fix any problems with the wood.

Next up was finding the paint colors. It was way more challenging than I thought it would be. I had an idea, but nothing I could be sure was correct. Locating photos of the original cabinet and colors mostly showed faded colors. I saved some paint from stripping and took it to a local car paint guy in town. He ended up matching and nailing the paint.

Now how to stencil the cabinet? I thought the paint match was going to be tough! Fortunately, Ryan had another Doodle Bug machine with all the artwork intact. He let me use his cabinet to make stencils. I used some transfer paper and traced out the machine. I thought I was crushing it, and this would be super easy to transfer since it was only three colors. Boy, was I wrong!

In the meantime, I sanded the cabinet smooth and fixed a few wood issues on the edges and back of the cabinet using wood filler, Bondo, and some fresh-cut pieces of wood.

Then laid two coats of primer and sanding to make sure the surfaces were smooth and flat. Then hit it with one more coat of white primer and sanded it with 1600 grit sandpaper.

My first stencil attempt was to transfer it to some poster board and cut out the artwork. Well, that was just not going to work. There was no way to align it perfectly or get it close enough to avoid lots of oversprays. Not to mention my ability to cut all that out.

My wife suggested we try using her Silhouette. By this point in the restore, I had signed up on Pinside and found others who have used vinyl cutters in their projects. Reading others' posts helped quite a bit. The main issue was the size of the stencil material, only 12 inches wide. We made many attempts before settling on what we thought would work best. I loaded up the stencils and headed to paint.

I proceeded to get base coats down—the blue with silver specks followed by the pink angles. But then we had issues with the printed stencils, how we taped them together and had lots of trouble applying them in the paint booth. So I took the cabinet back to the house, and on the living room floor, my wife and I laid out all the stencils that evening so I could get it back to the paint booth in the morning. We had 24 hours before we would need to lay an inter-coat and sand again, and not something I wanted to do at this point.

The following day went well, and I got it all painted and sealed it up with two coats of clear coat. The tough part was waiting 24 hours to let it cure before loading in the internals.

I'll follow up with the second half of the project tomorrow.

Beatles-DoodleBug (resized).pngBeatles-DoodleBug (resized).pngIMG_1908 (resized).pngIMG_1908 (resized).pngIMG_1912 (resized).pngIMG_1912 (resized).pngIMG_1928 (resized).pngIMG_1928 (resized).pngIMG_1930 (resized).pngIMG_1930 (resized).pngIMG_1950 (resized).pngIMG_1950 (resized).pngIMG_1986 (resized).pngIMG_1986 (resized).pngIMG_2082 (resized).pngIMG_2082 (resized).pngIMG_2086 (resized).pngIMG_2086 (resized).pngIMG_2087 (resized).pngIMG_2087 (resized).pngIMG_2091 (resized).pngIMG_2091 (resized).pngIMG_2095 (resized).pngIMG_2095 (resized).pngIMG_2096 (resized).pngIMG_2096 (resized).pngIMG_2100 (resized).pngIMG_2100 (resized).pngIMG_2101 (resized).pngIMG_2101 (resized).pngIMG_2109 (resized).pngIMG_2109 (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

Looking great! Im looking to do this in the future, if I ever get the time…

#3 1 year ago

Nice paint job!

I laser cut 1/8” MDF for stencils to get that soft overspray look. Maybe a bit fanatical but works well.

#4 1 year ago

Cabinet looks awesome

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Nice paint job!
I laser cut 1/8” MDF for stencils to get that soft overspray look. Maybe a bit fanatical but works well.

I am looking at a laser cutter for cutting plastics. Never thought about using it for stencils. For sure will give it a try on my next one.

#6 1 year ago

Great work! Looks awesome.

#7 1 year ago

So, this game was one of the two that KSUWildcatFan had listed this spring. I traded him a Gorgar which was a storage locker find thanks to @cshelden.

A couple things about your project:
1) I’ve never seen someone do such an amazing job with their first game in such little time!
2) you forgot to include a pic of the best part-the inspection tag!
3) the magic of pinball helped me make a new friend. That’s part of what makes pinball so special!

Rob, you really did a great job. I’m eager to see how your next project turns out!

Beat my score yet?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

So, this game was one of the two that KSUWildcatFan had listed this spring. I traded him a Gorgar which was a storage locker find thanks to cshelden.
A couple things about your project:
1) I’ve never seen someone do such an amazing job with their first game in such little time!
2) you forgot to include a pic of the best part-the inspection tag!
3) the magic of pinball helped me make a new friend. That’s part of what makes pinball so special!
Rob, you really did a great job. I’m eager to see how your next project turns out!
Beat my score yet?

Thank you Ryan, that means a lot to me. Lot's of blood sweat and tears went into my first restore. I greatly appreciate all the advice and help during all this. None of my restore would have been possible without it.

My wife thought the inspection tag was a dork move, it probably was but I like it. I'll be posting part two soon and will include it.

I totally agree on making a new friend and how amazing the pinball community is. I am glad I jumped in.

I have a few more things I want to complete on this restore, but yes, I am so ready to take on another restore and apply all the lessons learned and make it even better!

Ohh trust me, I tried to beat your score (and the fact you did that all on one ball!), but I think I still have some serious practice to go.

#9 1 year ago

So it is looking like I wont have time today to finish up the next part of the story so I will put up the picture of the inspected by tag Ryan mentioned. Enjoy all my dorkness...

IMG_2283 (resized).jpgIMG_2283 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago

That thing was a hot mess the way it came to me, with the heinous playfield, bagged parts, and all. The spare populated playfield came to be by way of Texas Pinball Festival and really made it possible to bring back to life again. You did a fantastic job on the cabinet. You absolutely should be proud of your work here.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

That thing was a hot mess the way it came to me, with the heinous playfield, bagged parts, and all. The spare populated playfield came to be by way of Texas Pinball Festival and really made it possible to bring back to life again. You did a fantastic job on the cabinet. You absolutely should be proud of your work here.

Thank you so much!

It really makes me happy to help it shine again. Now when I see a game that is down and out, it's like I want to load it up, take it home and fix it. This may or may not be a good thing

#12 1 year ago

Great thread Rob. Great paint job. Keep up the great work!

#13 1 year ago

Funny thing-I warned the OP when he called me about buying a project that this shit (pinball) is more addictive than pushing smack…guess who bought another project game from me last week?

#14 1 year ago

I wish people in my neck of the woods would sell some project games. Very lucky indeed! And yup, I'm always looking for my next "fix".

Like someone else stated the other day, a project game on pinside is like "putting a hotdog in a fishtank full of piranha".

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

I wish people in my neck of the woods would sell some project games. Very lucky indeed! And yup, I'm always looking for my next "fix".
Like someone else stated the other day, a project game on pinside is like "putting a hotdog in a fishtank full of piranha".

Who would say such a thing?!!!!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Who would say such a thing?!!!!

And I thought it was funny as shit! And so damn true.

1 week later
#17 1 year ago

Guess who has been busy messing with the new restore and hasn't finished up this post. You can thank Ryan for that! Going from an EM to SS has been fun but at times frustrating. Just when I think I'm getting close to getting it done something else pops up and kicks my ass for a while.

As for Doodle Bug... I am mostly wrapped up and playing. Nothing as exciting or tough as the cabinet restore to report on. I broke some rules like if it's working don't mess with it. Most of the time I made things work better but in a few cases I made it a lot worse. But to me this is how I learn. When I was a kid I would piss my parents off by taking my new toy's, radio or whatever apart just to see how they worked.

Here are a few before and after photos. Ohh and next up I will show off my mod to the playfield lights.

IMG_1863.jpgIMG_1863.jpgIMG_1866.jpgIMG_1866.jpgIMG_1871.jpgIMG_1871.jpgIMG_1873.jpgIMG_1873.jpgIMG_1879.jpgIMG_1879.jpgIMG_1881.jpgIMG_1881.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2415.jpgIMG_2415.jpgIMG_2416.jpgIMG_2416.jpgIMG_2417.jpgIMG_2417.jpg
8 months later
#18 10 months ago

Going to bump this thread for some great work done by RobOKC

ryanbrooks put me in touch with him and was happy to share some project ideas with me especially webbing which I’m about to attempt for the first time soon! Thanks!!

Keep up the good work!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doodle-bug-restore?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.