New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 184065)

Doodle Bug Power Card Wiring Help Needed

By JOESCHALL

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Boise_D
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
0Doodle-Bug-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Doodle-Bug-Work-01 (resized).jpg
DB Wiring (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from freddo30:

One reason that it's critical to have correct polarity in this particular game is that a bridge rectifier is utilized to convert AC to DC in order to provide sufficient oomph to start the doodle bug feature. Incorrect switching of hot/com will destroy said bridge rectifier. The protective fuse will immediately blow and the feature will be rendered inoperative.

There is no rectifier in this game. The magnet runs off 110v directly.

#21 3 years ago

Yellow = fused = switched = hot = little spade = smooth on a two prong - the type of plug that has been in there since 1971 without incident. I would suggest you just replace like with like.

If you want to make it with a ground, just figure out which is hot on that plug and wire it to the yellow. If the spades are all the same size, you can just see which one goes in the small hole on the wall outlet. If you go this route, be sure to go back and read the 18k + posts on how to properly ground an EM. I think there are something like 17999 opinions.

#22 3 years ago

I response to your question on the ground, the green wire in your first picture is NOT on the schematic. Indeed, as you point out, it isn't attached to an earth ground at all.

In my game, this green "ground" wire only goes to the transformer case - see picture below. As such, it really doesn't do much. If you want to hook up a three prong plug and attach it to the green wire, it would be fine. It also won't really ground much of your game. Later EMs with legitimate ground wires would run it to the transformer, the door and the on/off switch metal housing. This would actually ground the lockdown bar and side rails, as they were all connected to the door via the lockdown mechanism.

Those are the facts. Opinions vary wildly on this topic. I could start a gofundme for a flooded basement and get less down votes than suggesting you leave your machine as it was manufactured.

IMG_0359 (resized).JPG

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

My machine also has a marked ground wire at the transformer.

I think that is what I am pointing to with my right hand. The issue is that this is the only place the "ground" wire is. I see no value to it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Led
Professor Pinball
$ 30.40
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
£ 99.00
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 109.99
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 41.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
UpKick Pinball
$ 195.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
The Art of Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
$ 79.00
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside