5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-01-19 16.55.56 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-19 16.56.00 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-19 16.56.09 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Picked up a #Doodle Bug with pretty serious play field paint loss. And to make it more fun, looks like someone shot a spray of clear rattle can paint of some kind over the top most area of loss. No idea how to deal with that other than touch up over it. For the middle area, just below the Doodle Bug target, thinking of painting the green, pink, and black areas in. But for the Extra Ball area was wondering if I could have that digitally printed on clear sign vinyl and apply it like a decal. Would clear coat the vinyl before applying it. What do you think? Other ideas? (and no, my hand lettering skills are not good). The good news, the back glass is almost perfect.

2019-01-19 16.55.56 (resized).jpg2019-01-19 16.55.56 (resized).jpg2019-01-19 16.56.00 (resized).jpg2019-01-19 16.56.00 (resized).jpg2019-01-19 16.56.09 (resized).jpg2019-01-19 16.56.09 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Your plan is spot on to what I would do to bring it back to respectable. It can only improve on the current condition. If you are concerned about the durability of your repairs lay down some mylar over the repair areas when you are done.

There is also the school of thought of just playing it as is. Overall it is a decent playfield.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Your plan is spot on to what I would do to bring it back to respectable. It can only improve

Thanks for the advice. I’m too picky to play as is. But far from a touch up expert. So will do best I can. Thanks for advice. Btw want some laughs about this game, Check my posts in the worst hack you ever saw thread.

3 weeks later
    #4 5 years ago

One new question. Pretty certain I am going to use a printed image to cover the large bare wood area. The question is water slide decal or clear sign vinyl. In either case, can these be used on a playfield that is going to be waxed, not clear coated. Spent an hour searching and reading guides on Pinside, and all that mention using water slides, seem to be with the intent of clear coating. I will not be clear coating this field. So.........

The alternative, is to use frisket or low tack sign vinyl to mask the areas and paint the pf. Have very limited experience with painting fields to date. Have an air brush but haven't even used it yet. Which is why I am leaning toward a printed solution.

#5 5 years ago

I have had fantastic success using 3M vinyl from the local sign printer – in my case they also put a clear Mylar over before cutting as well - easy peasy peel n stick application w no issues to date

#6 5 years ago

Did u wax over it? Or clear coat. And if wax is there a noticeable bump when the ball rolls over the edge of the vinyl?

#7 5 years ago

No bump or ridges or edges noticeable

No clear coat

Can wax over although even that isn’t needed - a clear Mylar added over the vinyl by printer before cutting gives it a waxed look - but you can wax right over it

I thought I had replied in this thread before with some links to some examples – I will go find the links and add them here if you want

#9 5 years ago

Ron,

Thanks, read a couple of the threads and for part of this touch up, going to most likely use the printed vinyl. I am in the sign business, but the big lighted type. Have a friend with a Signs by Tomorrow franchise, and they do this kind of printing. I worked with them to make a backglass for my Triple Action and it came our decently. I hadn't thought of trying to convert the bitmap file to vector, use Corel 15, and not sure it can do that but going to try. Also going to bring my pantone book home from work, don't know why I didn't think of that, major brain fade. But going to start a new topic re pf painting when any kind of mask I put down pulls up old paint.

Really appreciate the help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doodle-bug-pf-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.