• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jeffc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi!
I very spontaneously got hold of a Doodle Bug, or rather, I have bought one and will have it delivered next week.
One thing I was told was that the manual plunger assembly needed to be repaired, or buy a new one.

Does anyone know where to buy a complete manual plunger assemly for this Williams EM from 1971?

Cheers!
Morten

#2 4 years ago

If it's just the plunger being mushroomed, everyone that sells common pinball parts sells it. If you need the escutcheon, pinball resource or possibly marcospec.

Plunger tip being mushroomed=incredibly common problem (because people run the game with the plunger rubber removed or damaged). You might have to hack saw the end out.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If it's just the plunger being mushroomed, everyone that sells common pinball parts sells it. If you need the escutcheon, pinball resource or possibly marcospec.
Plunger tip being mushroomed=incredibly common problem (because people run the game with the plunger rubber removed or damaged). You might have to hack saw the end out.

I dont know the exact details yet as Ill inspect it next week, but the seller said the the plunger had to be repaired, so thought Id be effective and just buy the whole "mech/assy" if its available, but I see that maybe it must be bought in parts. So I guess Ill just wait til next week

#4 4 years ago

Williams used the tan plastic shooter housing at that time. They are often broken, but Marco sells new ones. Yes, wait until you know what part (s) are bad, including other things on the game and place a larger order.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/3B-7160-T

Have fun, that is a good/hard game.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Oh please don't do that. I've seen a lot of mushroomed plungers, and I've never seen one so far gone that you couldn't simply file the mushrooming off, then dress the end of the plunger back into the proper shape and keep using it (with a tip on this time!). There's plenty of room to do the filing right in the cabinet, with the plunger held in place quite well, but if you'd prefer to use a grinding wheel or something, you can remove the entire assembly as one piece and get at the plunger end that way.

#6 4 years ago

Here you go..Pinball Resource has everything you need for any EM.
http://www.pbresource.com/shooter/wll-b6613.jpg

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Williams used the tan plastic shooter housing at that time. They are often broken, but Marco sells new ones. Yes, wait until you know what part (s) are bad, including other things on the game and place a larger order.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/3B-7160-T
Have fun, that is a good/hard game.

my love bug (aab doodle bug) has the metal housing, think the plastic housings were more late 60s

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

my love bug (aab doodle bug) has the metal housing, think the plastic housings were more late 60s

The 74-75 WMS parts catalog which includes Doodle Bug lists the "New ball shooter assembly with nylon housing". Hard to tell from the flyers what housings are on there.

#9 4 years ago

The plastic housings broke a lot, especially as the plastic aged. An old game that shipped with the plastic housing could easily have had a replacement metal one put on sometime in its life.

#10 4 years ago

PBR says the nylon housing is not available, but I can use a metal housing. So will probably just do that
Thanks for many responses appreciate it!

When I get to fire the bug up I will probable be even more thankful for answers to troubleshooting answers that may or will arise

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Looking back at the other WMS catalogs, you are right that the plastic shooter housing was introduced in the 60's. In fact, each of the 1966, 1969, 1971-72 and 1974-75 catalogs list the Nylon housing as "new".
The 1977-78 catalog is the first appearance of the Zinc die cast housing.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK

#12 4 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doodle-bug-need-new-plunger-assembly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.