Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Doodle Bug Ball Count (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello folks!

Working on a Doodle Bug and I hit a wall.

I've got it to the point that I can start a game but the ball count unit will not reset properly. Here's what it's doing when the start button is pressed:

1) The score motor turns one full rotation if all of the score reels are at zero (if they're not it spins until they are reset and then completes the rotation. I have already cleaned and adjusted the score reels).
2) The credit wheel is decremented.
3) The coin and reset relays pull in and then release when the score motor stops.
4) The game and game over relays pull in and latch.
5) The advance unit resets to zero
6) Post on the playfield resets
7) The ball count unit adds a random amount of balls (and sometimes none) but never the correct amount regardless of whether it's set at 3 or 5 balls.

I've already broken down and cleaned the ball count stepper. It is operating smoothly and the wiper fingers are clean and making good contact. The "0" switch on the stepper appears to be adjusted correctly as well.

I've also cleaned all of the switches on the score motor.

Any advice on what to check next would be much appreciated!

TIA!

Kevin

#2 5 years ago

Looking at the manual, it is supposed to step down to zero and then up to the correct number of balls (3 or 5) during the reset sequence. It seems to me that the score motor isn't running long enough although I could be wrong.

#3 5 years ago

There's not much to the Ball Count Step Up solenoid circuit:
Doodle Bug Ball Count (resized).jpgDoodle Bug Ball Count (resized).jpg
Have you had a good look at the Score Motor Impuse switch? The Ball Count should step up in evenly spaced steps over time since the impulse switch is involved (which rides over 5 evenly spaced teeth on the cam). If it sounds like there's a variable amount of time between the balls it does add your impulse switch is probably dirty or barely making contact.

/Mark

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If it sounds like there's a variable amount of time between the balls it does add your impulse switch is probably dirty or barely making contact.
/Mark

SOLVED- Dirty switches on the impulse cam of the score motor. I had previously cleaned all the score motor switches but on the impulse cam I cleaned between the switches not the switch contacts like a noob. It's working like a champ now.

Time to break down the PF, clean, wax, and replace the rubbers!

Thanks MarkG

9 months later
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from KW_pins:

SOLVED- Dirty switches on the impulse cam of the score motor. I had previously cleaned all the score motor switches but on the impulse cam I cleaned between the switches not the switch contacts like a noob. It's working like a champ now.
Time to break down the PF, clean, wax, and replace the rubbers!
Thanks MarkG

I know this is an old thread, but...any chance you have a photo of where the impulse cam of the score motor is?

#6 4 years ago

On a Williams EM, the index cam and the impulse cam are always located on the opposite ends of the score motor assembly. The impulse cam will have a bunch (maybe 10 or 12) of "teeth" that push up the switch bank follower while the index cam will be smooth except for maybe one notch. The impulse cam is almost always on the far right side as you look straight in at the end surfaces of the plastic discs (cams)

I forgot that the Doodle Bug schematic is online at ipdb.

In the link below, the impulse cam is the rearmost one.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=703&picno=41663&zoom=1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doodle-bug-ball-count-unit-reset-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.