View topic image gallery

example (resized).jpg
IMG_0229 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
20191017_201333 (resized).jpg
20191017_192121 (resized).jpg
20191017_190150 (resized).jpg
20191017_201150 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi fellow EM enthusiasts
I finally got a Doodle Bug and set it up today. It has some wear above top bumper, but else its in rather nice condition, despite having 60.000 plays.
Its always nervous excitement firing up an EM, hoping it wont be totally full of issues. But, it fired up quite well, and after getting the machinery going a little, it seems there is immediately one issue I am asking for some help on. As im sure you know, this is a Willams one player game.

1. I reseated all the jones-plugs.
2. When powering up the machine, it resets the score reels. I then press the left button to light it up.
3. pushing the start button, it does some stuff and then spits the ball into the plunger.
4. Now, everything seems to work and score as intended. EXCEPT:
5. Everytime I hit 10 points, the 10 point relay locks on and wont release, the 10-score reel is not advancing, and the match unit stays energized.

It resets the 10p reel without problems, but everytime I hit something that score 10 points, the same happens above.
Any thoughts on what might cause the 10p relay to lock on like this, where to start looking?

It seems its only the pop bumpers score 10 points when not lit, and the doodle bug when 10pt is lit.
the top switch on all bumpers are normally open, and the lower switch seems it should be normally closed, then opened when bumpers activated.
On one bumper the lower switch was open, so I adjusted it so it was normally closed.

Thanks for all coming input, I appreciate it!

Morten

20191017_190150 (resized).jpg20191017_190150 (resized).jpg20191017_192121 (resized).jpg20191017_192121 (resized).jpg20191017_201150 (resized).jpg20191017_201150 (resized).jpg20191017_201333 (resized).jpg20191017_201333 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Have you cleaned the 10 point relay switches? That should do the trick. That relay is in the back of the head.

Not yet, but can do tomorrow
But is not the signal going successfully through the relay since it energizes, indicating that something else after that "hangs" and does not return a signal to the relay that it can de-energize?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Also on the score reel there is a switch that opens to de-energize the relay when the plunger is at full travel. But not used when the game is resetting to start a game.

aha, that seems like something worth looking at closer. Hmm Im not too good at finding the wire colors in the schematic for that exact switch. Do you know which of the reel switches it is?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Blue&Red to Yellow.[quoted image]

Thanks Howard! Will check that closer tomorrow. And again, thanks for the skype help with Sea Ray some years ago!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

I don't have the correct era of score reel, but a Williams reel should have an End of Stroke switch that gets opened by the plunger action and looks something like the pic below.
[quoted image]
If that doesn't solve the issue, inspect the 10-pt relay that Levi has mentioned to make sure it isn't staying energized.

Oh thats a hidden sneaky f***er I dont recall if my score reel had that switch there, but Ill check.

#12 4 years ago

So update; my friend found an issue on a switch on the 10pt relay, and he managed to fix the issue.
Next problems; The ball count unit is not working properly, this game starts on ball 5 and counts downwards on the display, balls left.
But my game starts with 2 balls left lit, not 5. I will clean the ball count stepper and see if it helps.

Also I had a problem with the 1 2 3 4 targets. hitting 1 lights 2, hitting 2 lights 3, but hitting 3 did not light 4, but score reel advanced.
This seems to have been solved now by cleaning swiches, and also a thorough cleaning of the advance unit, including tightening the spring.

Now it seems to work 96 % of the times.

#13 4 years ago

I also noticed that my ball count unit and match unit coil assembly is differing, that is, see the red rings on the following photo.
Is this a hack, or is this how it is originall, with a screw stopping the coil link?

example (resized).jpgexample (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

So Levi had the 10-pt drum unit issue pegged.
I wish I had made a copy of the Doodle Bug schematic before I sold the game.
Can you manually operate the plunger on the ball count stepper and see it step to the different positions corresponding to balls left to play? It would be a start to first ascertain whether a mechanical issue is keeping the stepper from hitting all the different positions.
On the #4 lighting issue, I assume you have checked the bulb, socket, and wiring to make sure they are not the problem. There will likely be a switch shown in the lighting section of the schematic that must close in order to send power to the #4 socket fixture. Try to find that and maybe post a photo of that circuit.

Yes, when I operate the plunger on ball count unit, it advances as it seemingly should. I will as mentioned take an extra cleaning of it in any case.
I also saw someone write of a pulsing switch on the score cam, which solved someones issue with ball count.

And regarding the advancing of the lights, it seems that it is for the most part working now, after cleaning and tightening springs. so I think that is the way to go further, ifissues should arise again :O

#17 4 years ago

I can manually advance the ball count stepper and it seems to work as intended, but I will go over and clean more this week.

A question; Does anyone know where to buy the correct coil stop and also the plunger going into the A-22 550 coil on the ball count unit?
The plunger is really worn where the link/lever goes into the "hole" in the plunger.

I cant seem to find the parts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doodle-bug-10pt-relay-stays-energized?tu=Edenecho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.