Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Plastic_X.png
    #1 11 years ago

I just read where someone gave advice to use Windex on plastics and plastic ramps. This is bad advice, if used on plastics it will discolor them. Windex is for glass, Novus is for plastics!!

#2 11 years ago

Windex can cause certain types of plastics to "cloud". Soap and water or mix of Simple Green and water will work.

#3 11 years ago

Was a big no-no on the race care with lexan windows also. I think the ammonia would kinda attack and soften the plastic...eventually making it dull/cloudy.

Nothing a torch couldn't fix though

#4 11 years ago

The ammonia in certain types of glass cleaners attacks lexan. Makes it cloudy and brittle. That is one of the first things our Aero club tells us. DO NOT use glass cleaner on the windshield.

#5 11 years ago

I would say avoid Novus on plastics with art, the Novus is like very fine liquid sandpaper. I use technical grade alcohol (99.9% anhydrous alcohol). Tech grade alcohol also cleans rubber parts up very nicely.

#6 11 years ago

Just make sure that it does not have any Ammonia and you will be OK. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I would say avoid Novus on plastics with art, the Novus is like very fine liquid sandpaper. I use technical grade alcohol (99.9% anhydrous alcohol). Tech grade alcohol also cleans rubber parts up very nicely.

Don't use alcohol on older plastics unless you know it's safe. Alcohol softens the plastic on Williams EMs enough that you can leave a finger print in it. I don't know when things changed or which other manuf. used that type of plastic.

Novus 1 isn't abrasive and seems to be fine for the art side of plastics, but as someone said above mild dish soap should also work.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I would say avoid Novus on plastics with art, the Novus is like very fine liquid sandpaper.

Novus 2 and 3 are abrasive. Novus 1 is just a polish. I use it on plastics with art all the time. Never had a problem.

#9 11 years ago

Plexus and a microfiber towel.... perfect for plastics and motorcycle helmet shields

#10 11 years ago

I learned something today. Good information to have.

#11 11 years ago

We could never figure out why my grandmother's glasses always looked like shit even when they were only a few weeks old. Then one of us caught her cleaning the lenses with Windex. It would cloud up the lenses after only a few quick applications that were quickly wiped off.

I think lenses are mostly made of polycarbonate these days but I would not be surprised to find out that Windex type products attack most plastic and make it cloudy.

I don't think she ever came to terms with the idea that her "glasses" were not made of glass any more.

#12 11 years ago

I use this on car head lights and have been trying it out on the pinball plastic's as well seems to be doing a good job you can find it at walmart

Plastic_X.pngPlastic_X.png

#13 11 years ago

Calm down. Don't panic.

That was me. Guilty as charged. But seriously, it doesn't do any harm unless you let it sit on a surface for a while like you do with wax. How do I know? Because I've used it in a pinch many times for a quick wipe. If you wipe it down with a clean cloth right after, it actually leaves a pretty damn nice shine and cleans off dirt nice and quick. Again, I know this from having used it on my Cyclone's ramps 10 YEARS AGO for a quick wipe down that are still clear as crystal.

I have never seen Windex do any harm to anything I ever used it on and I have shopped over 20 machines. Just talking from experience. There are without a doubt better products to use, but if you use it or have used it, I really wouldn't panic.

That said, if others have had problems, might as well just avoid it all together - not worth the risk. Just don't want anybody to freak out if they used it once or twice.

-BB

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I have never seen Windex do any harm to anything I ever used it on and I have shopped over 20 machines. Just talking from experience. There are without a doubt better products to use, but if you use it or have used it, I really wouldn't panic.

Amen. I used Windex on my subway ramp for my TZ and it came out perfect. I firmly believe that it all comes down to technique. You cannot leave any residue on it, you have to wipe it dry with a separate, dry towel, and wipe after it's dry. It's just the way you do it to achieve that shine you're looking for. I come from a long history of waxing and polishing cars and know the proper laying down/picking up techniques of hand applying cleaning materials. Technique is everything!

You know those paper towel commercials you see on TV? That's a trained hand working those things. I guarantee both towels could do that job if the person wiped exactly the same way for both towels.

If you're unsure about the technique, or ammonia content of what you're using, it's safest just to use Novus and not even worry about it.

#15 11 years ago

spit and a tee-shirt works in the south

#16 11 years ago

Regular Windex doesn't have ammonia, does it? I've been using it for decades to clean ramps and plastics.

#17 11 years ago

I've NEVER had any trouble using Windex on plastics, and I'll keep on using it if you guys don't mind.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

We could never figure out why my grandmother's glasses always looked like shit even when they were only a few weeks old. Then one of us caught her cleaning the lenses with Windex. It would cloud up the lenses after only a few quick applications that were quickly wiped off.
    I think lenses are mostly made of polycarbonate these days but I would not be surprised to find out that Windex type products attack most plastic and make it cloudy.
    I don't think she ever came to terms with the idea that her "glasses" were not made of glass any more.

I think the issue with using Windex on polycarbonate eyeglasses is it attacks the coatings used on them. Modern eyeglasses have coatings for scratch-resistance, anti-fog, anti-glare, UV and other characteristics. It really doesn't hurt the polycarbonate as much as it affects the clarity of the coatings used.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Plexus and a microfiber towel.... perfect for plastics and motorcycle helmet shields

yep, best stuff to use, it cleans plastics very well. i use it on a quick wipe down of all my rubber rings also, and on stand-up targets. lucky for me i have cans of this stuff left over from my paintball shop, it was the cleaner of choice to clean paintball google lenses without the risk of weakening the lenses.

#20 11 years ago

I use windex on my pf glass. is that bad too?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

yep, best stuff to use, it cleans plastics very well.

I use it nearly every day from spring to Fall... right before I ride. I can't wait for Spring!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I use windex on my pf glass. is that bad too?

No. As long as it isn't PDI or Invisiglass, Windex is fine.

#23 11 years ago

Is Sparkle fine for PDI? I have 2 sheets on the way. Just had to see if it lives up to the hype.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

Is Sparkle fine for PDI?

Yes. I use Sparkle all the time on both PDI and Invisiglass. Works like a charm!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-use-windex-on-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.