(Topic ID: 197571)

Don't put a for sale add up if you're not going to sell..

By Milltown

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Ns2973
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
    Theodore-Roosevelt-e1489124922625 (resized).png

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 6 years ago

It's happened to me. Agreed to sell a game and instantly regretted it. But a deal's a deal so I sack up and do it.

#52 6 years ago

This is not cool. You made the commitment by driving way over there, he should have honored the deal.

Also... please get a spell checker - reading your posts was making me go cross-eyed

#53 6 years ago

I had a guy offer me $1400 for a game on the phone and I agreed to take the offer. Guy shows up and says he only has $1200, he couldn't understand why I wouldn't negotiate at that point. He left pissed and without a game. I won't negotiate at that point out of principal alone...
    Also, when I go to buy a game that's what I do, and I try not to waste too much time and just get out. I feel like something happened in the 2 hours of hanging out that made this deal go south, just my 2 cents.

#54 6 years ago

What ever, still a dick move.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Also... please get a spell checker - reading your posts was making me go cross-eyed

This thread has made my hangover much worse

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

It's got to be that Flash. You know everyone has to have one.

Haha.. I actualy have one..

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

I had a guy offer me $1400 for a game on the phone and I agreed to take the offer. Guy shows up and says he only has $1200, he couldn't understand why I wouldn't negotiate at that point. He left pissed and without a game. I won't negotiate at that point out of principal alone...
    Also, when I go to buy a game that's what I do, and I try not to waste too much time and just get out. I feel like something happened in the 2 hours of hanging out that made this deal go south, just my 2 cents.

Me as well.. he had second thoughts. Probably because I was so stoked to get it.. never again.. not until my purchase is loaded up ..
    And deal done.. hard lesson learned here..

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

This is not cool. You made the commitment by driving way over there, he should have honored the deal.

Sorry.. my phones on the fritz..

#59 6 years ago

The only way this behavior can be understood is if it was a Star Gazer or something else real rare and desirable. Even then I'm calling BS but at least it's understandable.

#60 6 years ago

A deal is a deal, can't stand that crap. Now if he contacted you before you left that sucks but once you're there Cmon Man. If I was in the situation as the other guy and changed my mind, I would still sell it because it was my own damn fault and your word is EVERYTHING in this hobby and as a person.

#61 6 years ago

Since you posted a WTB Bride of Pinbot, it is pretty easy to find who was selling one and archived the ad.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

This thread has made my hangover much worse

Sorry.
    Dam phone and giant fingers ....

#63 6 years ago

I've got a Bride of pinbot I'd be willing to sell.
    but the trips a lot farther than Albany.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

A deal is a deal, can't stand that crap. Now if he contacted you before you left that sucks but once you're there Cmon Man. If I was in the situation as the other guy and changed my mind, I would still sell it because it was my own damn fault and your word is EVERYTHING in this hobby and as a person.

Thank you.. my point exactly.. I'm honest and very cool about things...

#65 6 years ago

Well, that sucks, but this thread is meaningless drivel without a name. I'm not suggesting you name anyone, just pointing out the obvious.

The deal is always as follows:
    If you make arrangements to see a game, you go see it. You don't call when you are supposed to be there and cancel. That's wasting someone's time.

On the other hand, when someone comes to buy something you've listed, you sell, or cancel before the drive.

Good luck finding the pin you want. Let us know if you get your $4 per hour plus gas money back.

#66 6 years ago

OP, when that same "nice guy" seller relists the game for more money, I hope you will name him then

#67 6 years ago

Did you have an agreement to purchase the game? If you just told him you were going to come check it out and may buy it then I don't really think he did anything wrong. Yes he should have made certain he wanted to sell it before hand but if there was not a verbal agreement then I don't see an issue. I don't make the drive unless I am certain I want the game and I don't drive that far unless a price is already set and agreed upon. If something is not as described or it doesn't play as it was stated to play all bets are off at that point.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

This is the other side of the coin which I think is at least as shitty if not shittier.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Did you have an agreement to purchase the game? If you just told him you were going to come check it out and may buy it then I don't really think he did anything wrong. Yes he should have made certain he wanted to sell it before hand but if there was not a verbal agreement then I don't see an issue. I don't make the drive unless I am certain I want the game and I don't drive that far unless a price is already set and agreed upon. If something is not as described or it doesn't play as it was stated to play all bets are off at that point.

He knew I was coming with intent to purchase for sure.. brought the gas guzzler van asked wich floor it's on to load . And I'd have cash in pocket ..he said easy to load .. I always wanna c the game first .. same as hot rod projects. I need to c the car or parts ect..
    He knew I was exited to have it.. with intent to purchase. Also the first time dealing with him . Didn't wanna get there and it's a dirty roach since you can't trust pics ..
    And we spoke before I made the trip ..
    Anyway it's in the past and like I said .he is a nice guy and his collecation is killer . His restored machines are beutiful.. this post is to just say you should not put a for sale add up if you have the slightest thoughts of not selling...

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

OP, when that same "nice guy" seller relists the game for more money, I hope you will name him then

Yes ..yes I sure as hell will...

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Well, that sucks, but this thread is meaningless drivel without a name. I'm not suggesting you name anyone, just pointing out the obvious.
    The deal is always as follows:
    If you make arrangements to see a game, you go see it. You don't call when you are supposed to be there and cancel. That's wasting someone's time.
    On the other hand, when someone comes to buy something you've listed, you sell, or cancel before the drive.
    Good luck finding the pin you want. Let us know if you get your $4 per hour plus gas money back.

Haha.. yes.. my point exactly.. think before you place your add.. I once sold a 70 Triumph Bonneville cycle.. as soon as the guy came to purchase I wanted to back out.. but I made the add and honored what I said.. as he drove away I was saying to myself why did I do that? Lol ..

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I can see how it's possible this potential transaction was miscommunicated in some way via email...

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can see how it's possible this potential transaction was miscommunicated in some way via email...

Haha.. again I apologize..
    But this was actualy a few phone calls ..

#74 6 years ago

I would be pretty ticked if I made the drive to buy a game and deal was worked before hand and they backed out.

#75 6 years ago

Waiting for Paul Harvey to come to this thread...

#76 6 years ago

I had a couple of dudes show up several years back to buy a working but players shape only, Space Shuttle, and we had agreed on $400 cash and carry.
    He shows up, looks over the game and says ''I went to Taco Bell down the street and had lunch, I only have $393....'' and starts pulling out a crumpled wad.

I kind of found it amusing, so I said to him ''I don't know what you were thinking, but I guess you're just dealing with the right guy today, I doubt this would fly with many people''

I still don't know what he was thinking. Must of been hungry.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I had a couple of dudes show up several years back to buy a working but players shape only, Space Shuttle, and we had agreed on $400 cash and carry.
    He shows up, looks over the game and says ''I went to Taco Bell down the street and had lunch, I only have $393....'' and starts pulling out a crumpled wad.
    I kind of found it amusing, so I said to him ''I don't know what you were thinking, but I guess you're just dealing with the right guy today, I doubt this would fly with many people''

I'd be pissed too the guy didn't even bring you a taco.

#78 6 years ago

I think the only real resolve/right move would be that he drives the game to you so that you can buy it.

#79 6 years ago

Pinball fever can make any sane man go crazy...buy! Sell? Yes! No?....

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Procrastinator:

My time is valuable. nothing fires me up more than someone wasting my time.

While I agree with your post, I just couldn't let the irony of this statement go, given your login name

#81 6 years ago

Not too hard to figure out who in NY didn't sell a BOP obo in the last couple of weeks.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

Haha .. trust me I am pissed still.. but he was a super nice guy.. I don't wanna name him and slander him tho.. he does have posative feedback and I don't wanna be a ass and skrew him up ect.. but dam I wanted that game .. .. you could c on his face he was in a pinch and almost sweating. but like I say. I would never in a million years put up a for sale add ..and do this to anyone.. I was super stoked to get this machine on my collection .. we even fired it up.. pulled the glass and back glass . Inspected .. pulled it from the wall to look at the cabinet ... so in the end it realy sucked to not be setting it up in my line up..

I respect your decision in this. But everyone in the greater Albany, NY area is now under suspicion...and there are a lot of cool pinsiders up there. Sucks man. I'm about 120 miles from Albany, and if I drove up there for a game and came home empty handed for this reason I.Would.Be.Pissed!!

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Not too hard to figure out who in NY didn't sell a BOP obo in the last couple of weeks.

And there you go! Who is it? I'm too lazy to look.

#84 6 years ago

It's easy enough to find if you just have a quick look.
    I would be pissed if someone did this to me.

#85 6 years ago

that's a straight up asshole move. I would not buy anything from him ever again.

#86 6 years ago

ForceFlow! I knew it!

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's a straight up asshole move. I would not buy anything from him ever again.

Dont worry, he'd never sell anyways.

#88 6 years ago

That's funny and at the same time he was probably was serious about spending the 7 bucks!

#89 6 years ago

I just had something similar happen to me with another member here that currently has a machine listed for sale in the Market, or so I thought. I said the same thing to myself in my instance "Don't put a for sale add up if you're not going to sell" I get in talks with the seller and start asking questions. Eventually after 2-3 pm's I ask for more pics. I mean you are selling a machine for over 5K, you should have more than just 7 pictures. I also ask for a contact number to prevent having to send 100 Pm's just to get answers that can be answered faster by phone. For some reason he won't give his number, so after 4 more pm's I give in and give him my number to call me and he never calls. Keep in mind that 2-3 hrs passes between almost each of these pm's when the deal could have been done and pick up day/time scheduled in less than 5 minutes had he called or gave me his number. He then comes back yet again in PM and says, I have someone who's interested locally that contacted me before you so I want to see how that works out and I'll get back to you thanks for inquiring. WHAT?!?!? Don't you think that common courtesy would have been to tell me that from the beginning instead of a stringing me along for almost a day and a half?!?!? I mean I was practically trying to shove cash into his pockets that very day and he just would not sell!!!

#90 6 years ago

we had agreed on $400 cash and carry.

I had a similar deal...

I showed my Getaway HSII. We agreed to $2550. He came back a couple days later, on Sunday morning to pick up with a buddy.

In my subdivision that Sunday, they were having a huge block "Garage Sale". When he got to my home, he said he stopped at a couple garages and spent $50. I was somewhat put out, but he said he was good for the $50 and we loaded the game.

About 2 months later, he swung buy and paid me the $50 I actually thought I was going to be stiffed.

#91 6 years ago

$7 at taco bell?! I don't think I've ever spent that much there

#92 6 years ago

I had a pinsider actually contact me for a pin that I had a want ad for. Told me to let him know by Wednesday if I wanted it for the price he asked. I called him early Tuesday morning to tell him I'd take it. He said he's leaning towards keeping it now but he'll let me know in a day or if he wants to keep it which I was cool with either way. Never heard from him again.

Turns out he had no intention of keeping it and he sold it to someone else. This wouldn't have been a big deal and still isn't a big deal. Just a scummy practice. Looking to sell the game quick? Don't tell me to let you know in a few days as you try selling it to someone else. Then lie and say your gonna keep it. And lie again and say you'll let me know.

At least I didn't lose gas and time.

#93 6 years ago

I was 1.5 hours into a 3 hour drive when I got a frantic call from the seller that he changed his mind. I was out about $30 in gas and 3 hours of driving there and back. He had an odd excuse but essentially it is usually just cold feet or they get a higher offer from someone else. Seemed to be a fairly well known pinsider too.

#94 6 years ago

It is bad enough spending the money to run for no reason. But, the time is something you can never get back. If someone commits to sell then they have to be committed to sell.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

While I agree with your post, I just couldn't let the irony of this statement go, given your login name

Haha now you know why my time is so valuable!

#96 6 years ago

Flaking on a sale is a bad move especially when you offer asking price, would you agree @pintopia?

#97 6 years ago

Did you offer the guy full price or less?

#98 6 years ago

I'd at least want gas money - pretty lame...

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Did you offer the guy full price or less?

Says he offered full price.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Says he offered full price.

Complete BS...if you post a price and someone agrees to pay it, then you man up and do the deal.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-put-a-for-sale-add-up-if-youre-not-going-to-sell/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.