(Topic ID: 197571)

Don't put a for sale add up if you're not going to sell..

By Milltown

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Ns2973
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
    Theodore-Roosevelt-e1489124922625 (resized).png
    There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 6 years ago

Last week I made a 2.5 hour trek into the Albany area to purchase a machine I've wanted. .
    The seller had a add on here for sale..at a cool price.. talked on the phone and it was exactly what I wanted .. organized a day and time on labor day.. so in the rain I drove my 65 g10 van there . 70$ in gas round trip..
    Plus missing my family's labor day party's..
    Showed up we fired up the game . Players game for sure . Very nice tho.. I knew I was buying .
    His add said obo..so I asked .. he quickly said the price on the add since he didn't wanna sell..
    ??? I thought.. then he took us to his game room. Very nice games. He does beutiful work.
    About 2 hours later I went back to the game I wanted and said to myself yup.. gonna pay his price. I wanted it.. he sat down and said I'm having second thoughts .. then he said no he has to think about it..
    Mind you I'm there now and he had the add up on here for sale ..
    I'm no asshole so I said ok man.. let me know .. then I drove home another 2.5 hours .. low and behold he's not selling me the machine at all..
    I'm not saying names ect because he was a nice enough guy.. but before you place a add and have someone go to look at your game make dam sure you are selling.. I'm still pissed off about this ..
    And stil hunting for the machine ...

#2 6 years ago

I have to say I have done this before. I thought I wanted to sell a game and when it came down to it I could not let it go. It is a shitty thing to do and I felt horrible. I just simply told the guy that I didn't want to let the game go anymore but I would sell it if he insisted but I would really like to keep it. He wasn't happy as he was on his way to get it but he said OK. When I finally sold it years later I regretted it.

#3 6 years ago

I don't know, I think that's bs. And if it's someone I know, sorry, but it's still bs in my opinion.

I know a few times I've listed a game and had second thoughts, then told the potential buyer before any meet up time/address is made, and it's usually pretty cool.

Once you give the address and arrange to meet, it's done. You can hold firm, but the choice to buy it is there's.

#4 6 years ago

Don't really understand what happened, you hung out at his place for 2 hours? Or you left, and two hours later said, hey I want the game? If you left his house, well, not quite as lame. If he changed his mind while you are at his place, yeah that's pretty weak.

I do think you probably should have just paid his asking price. If I drive 3 hours to pick up a game, I'm willing to pay the asking price/agreed upon price unless I show up and there are obvious surprises (outgassing DMDs, things like that). Will never make a stink over stuff that needs minor adjustments.

I've already rented a van, taken the time, etc., why risk blowing up a deal over a little cabbage?

#5 6 years ago

That bites. One thing across town, but 2 1/2 hours each way?? I'd be pissed.........

#6 6 years ago

Crappy thing to do especially since you did the 2.5 hr haul. He could have paid for your gas.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't really understand what happened, you hung out at his place for 2 hours? Or you left, and two hours later said, hey I want the game? If you left his house, well, not quite as lame. If he changed his mind while you are at his place, yeah that's pretty weak.
    I do think you probably should have just paid his asking price. If I drive 3 hours to pick up a game, I'm willing to pay the asking price/agreed upon price unless I show up and there are obvious surprises (outgassing DMDs, things like that). Will never make a stink over stuff that needs minor adjustments.
    I've already rented a van, taken the time, etc., why risk blowing up a deal over a little cabbage?

Here showed me his game room ect.. does a nice job on restores.. we shot the shit ect.. I did not expect him to say no.. hell he was cool.. and was vary Maticulus on his games.. fast and fun to play.. we had no problem hanging out for a while.

#8 6 years ago

This is a very odd story! I can tell you that if this happened to me, it would have ended very differently. Hopefully this guy will post in this thread and explain his side of the story.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

Here showed me his game room ect.. does a nice job on restores.. we shot the shot ect.. I did not expect him to say no.. hell he was cool.. and was vary Maticulus on his games.. fast and fun to play.. we had no problem hanging out for a while.

And I was definitely going to pay his asking price.. just in the add is wasn't firm it was or best offer.. once he said his asking price I immediately said no problem..

#10 6 years ago

And I won't name him or slander .. he was very nice for sure.. just had second thoughts .. my only issue is don't list it unless your sure as hell gonna sell.. I've thought many times on selling a game.. then said hell no.. haha...

#11 6 years ago

Shouldn't try to take a second bite at the apple unless you're willing to walk away, if you're 2.5 hours from home.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

And I won't name him or slander .. he was very nice for sure.. just had second thoughts .. my only issue is don't list it unless your sure as hell gonna sell.. I've thought many times on selling a game.. then said hell no.. haha...

What kind of man wastes someone's time and money?? Answer: A douche bag. He would have been a nice guy if he had second thoughts and at least paid for your gas!

#13 6 years ago

Also once I got back he did offer to reimburse me the 70 in gas and tolls via pay pal.. only problem is I don't do paypal .. I've sent him my mailing adress ect.. we will c what happens..
    Still sucks to not have the machine ..

#14 6 years ago

Epic fail! That's horrible. If you're not sure don't post an ad! Seems like some OCD going on there.

#15 6 years ago

In all reality it's just a game.. but we all know how strong this addiction is.. lol

#16 6 years ago

We've all sold games that we really didn't want to part with....it's part of the hobby. No excuse to do that to you

#17 6 years ago

Glad he offered the gas and tolls but TOTAL D move. You don't pull that if someone shows up to buy. That's just a D move. wow.

#18 6 years ago

who is it?

#19 6 years ago

You have every right to be pissed and I can't believe anyone would do that to someone. I'd have no problem calling the seller out on here if it were me. What a Dick move!

#20 6 years ago

Did he yell at you when you ran over his mailbox while doing a few donuts on the front lawn as you left?

edit: cause guys yell at me when I do that.

#21 6 years ago

I commend you for not making a scene. I might have, unless there were kids around.

#22 6 years ago

I would never do that to anyone.

There's nothing wrong with changing your mind once you put up an ad. Just don't change your mind with the guy standing in front of you, trying to pick up the game.

#23 6 years ago

A "nice enough guy" doesn't make you make a rainy drive to his place on a holiday and then change his mind after you get there. That's sociopathic behavior. And $70 doesn't even begin to cover your wasted holiday.

If he's so nice he should chime in here to own up to it and publicly apologize, and warn the rest of us never to do business with him. Sorry OP, that's a real bummer.

#24 6 years ago

Haha .. trust me I am pissed still.. but he was a super nice guy.. I don't wanna name him and slander him tho.. he does have posative feedback and I don't wanna be a ass and skrew him up ect.. but dam I wanted that game .. .. you could c on his face he was in a pinch and almost sweating. but like I say. I would never in a million years put up a for sale add ..and do this to anyone.. I was super stoked to get this machine on my collection .. we even fired it up.. pulled the glass and back glass . Inspected .. pulled it from the wall to look at the cabinet ... so in the end it realy sucked to not be setting it up in my line up..

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I commend you for not making a scene. I might have, unless there were kids around.

Haha.. 10 years ago may have been different ..

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I would never do that to anyone.
    There's nothing wrong with changing your mind once you put up an ad. Just don't change your mind with the guy standing in front of you, trying to pick up the game.

Exactly my point..

#27 6 years ago

My time is valuable. When I have to spend it on a problem, my employees, or some other bullshit it pisses me off to no end. To have someone waste five hours of my day and jerk me around, I would've been livid. Hell, one time a guy pulled something like that with me on business deal and I had my lawyer fire off an invoice for a bunch of money explaining why he was being billed. He never paid, but he did have to hire a lawyer to respond to us. I'm older now and probably would be a little more cool, but nothing fires me up more than someone wasting my time.

#29 6 years ago

What pin was it? or did I miss it somewhere in this thread?

#30 6 years ago

I think the seller needs to give you the game or should be disclosed here so others don't have to deal with that nonsense.

#31 6 years ago

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

Here showed me his game room ect.. does a nice job on restores.. we shot the shit ect.. I did not expect him to say no.. hell he was cool.. and was vary Maticulus on his games.. fast and fun to play.. we had no problem hanging out for a while.

So you hung out, and then he decided not to sell at his asking price?

Yeah, that sucks.

The $70 is a good gesture and I don't understand the people still calling for blood and asking you to rat him out. He did the right thing, all things considered.

#33 6 years ago

He has very posative feedback .
    I belive this is the first kind of shit he has pulled with fellow pinsiders ect..
    Doesn't make it ok ..but dam.

#34 6 years ago

If it were me (and we were in NY state where a verbal agreement is valid) I would have very nicely discussed his emotional connection to the machine, what it means for him to let it go, reiterated that he desires to let it go since he listed it for sale, explained he agreed to the transaction by letting me drive there, that I've met his terms and that I'm not leaving without the item.

It's totally fine to back out of a sale before the trip, but not after.

Hopefully you'll find something equally as good or better and get reimbursed for your expenses.

Thanks for sharing.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

If it were me (and we were in NY state where a verbal agreement is valid) I would have very nicely discussed his emotional connection to the machine, what it means for him to let it go, reiterated that he desires to let it go since he listed it for sale, explained he agreed to the transaction by letting go me drive there, I've met his terms and that I'm not leaving without the item.
    It's totally fine to back out of a sale before the trip, but not after.
    Hopefully you'll find something equally as good or better and get reimbursed for your expenses.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for understanding were I'm coming from...

#36 6 years ago

And I'm stil on the hunt for the machine...

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you hung out, and then he decided not to sell at his asking price?
    Yeah, that sucks.
    The $70 is a good gesture and I don't understand the people still calling for blood and asking you to rat him out. He did the right thing, all things considered.

Exactly .. if he was a asshole I would drag him threw the mud... but he wasn't. I could c it on his face..

#38 6 years ago

What's the game?

#39 6 years ago

But it was a holiday and a expensive ride..

Dam I'm getting old.. lol

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

What's the game?

Haha.. you do have it in your collection...

#41 6 years ago

In my mind, if the buyer shows up to your house, the game is sold, unless they offer something unreasonable.

#42 6 years ago

Am I the only one feverishly searching the archives for a game that is no longer for sale within a two-and-a-half-hour radius of Milltown?

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

What's the game?

Sell me yours.. lol.. it's in your collection..

#44 6 years ago

wouldn't know, if you don't say

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

What's the game?

A PRISTINE Nip It. In fabulous working order. Complete with leds.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

It's got to be that Flash. You know everyone has to have one.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

What pin was it? or did I miss it somewhere in this thread?

Bride of Pinbot

#48 6 years ago

Wow, your right Grayman...
    PM me, if you don't want to say.

#49 6 years ago

OK, I just looked up where Palmer, Mass is - and it's 2 hours from my house. Please name this guy, so people won't think I'm the d-bag... LOL

#50 6 years ago

Milltown stated:

Quoted from Milltown:

You, Wdennie have only 13 pins so it makes since that it has to be one of those. I picked the oldest and most sold SS I do believe around here. Sherlock Holmes has nothing on me.

ADDED:Sorry I just checked he has a Flash already.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-put-a-for-sale-add-up-if-youre-not-going-to-sell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.