Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Cliffy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1572.JPG
    Einstein_2.gif
    tron-sling-rt1.jpg
    tron-sling-lt1.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    7Tron-eject-done.jpg
    dscn1832.jpg
    dscn1844.jpg
    dscn1830.jpg
    dscn1821.jpg
    dscn1816.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from michiganpinball:

My Tron Pro (which is on location at Marvin's Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills Mi) has the Mantis and shows little to no wear. I can take a picture later this week. It has thousands of plays also.

Thanks for this info. The first thing I did when I got my Tron in the house was install rails under the playfield then the Mantis protector then I powered it up.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:

generica said:Tron pro, pinballz arcade, ~5500 games played
    Attachments 2012-04-28_20-00-05_600.jpg (166.2 KB, 0 downloads) 8 hours old
    5,500 plays?
    $1 a game?
    The table has paid for it's self.

my "home" pin has more than that
    i suppose we (my son & i) got the world high score of the most "home game played" for TRON ... somebody beat us ?

btw, i got some minor damage round the hole (got mantis protector), but not as showned in the picture

for those who wanna not see that on their pin, just turn the machine ON, watch the attract mode for 10 minutes a day, and set the machine OFF...

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

my "home" pin has more than that
    i suppose we (my son & i) got the world high score of the most "home game played" for TRON ... somebody beat us ?

We have had ours setup for five days. 210 plays I foresee many many games being played on this.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Definitely no chips on my baby!

Same here sir! Cliffy is definitely the way to go.

1 month later
    #55 11 years ago

As far as the nail polish, you just put it around the inside edge ?? Not on the top / PF, correct ?? Can you also use the nail polish on the shooter lane ?? Any real difference between nail polish and varnish ??

#56 11 years ago

I only put it on the bare wood area of the hole. So just the edge between the mantis and color on the pf.
    Also I just cut some fake Mylar and use it in the shooter lane. Tough to get it to lay correctly.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

I only put it on the bare wood area of the hole. So just the edge between the mantis and color on the pf.

How's it holding up so far jackal? Noticed any chipping/flaking of the clear nail polish?

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

jackal2001 said:I only put it on the bare wood area of the hole. So just the edge between the mantis and color on the pf.
    How's it holding up so far jackal? Noticed any chipping/flaking of the clear nail polish?

Holding up great. No issues.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

JonM said:jackal2001 said:I only put it on the bare wood area of the hole. So just the edge between the mantis and color on the pf.
    Holding up great. No issues.

Thanks man. Will be doing this tomorrow before my sheet of PDI and "black" mirror blades show up next week for my LE

#60 11 years ago

JonM, I would love to see the PDI glass and the Black mirror blades please

On the PDI glass, if you are able to, can you take some before and after pics (same angle / position) ?? I am very interested in the PDI glass, but $350ish is good chuck of change.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

JonM, I would love to see the PDI glass and the Black mirror blades please
    On the PDI glass, if you are able to, can you take some before and after pics (same angle / position) ?? I am very interested in the PDI glass, but $350ish is good chuck of change.

Will happily do that for you, no problem at all. I've got standard mirror blades and black mirror blades coming along with a sheet of PDI glass so I'll do some shots of the PDI and both sets of blades. PDI is one of the few pin products that is actually alot cheaper and easier to get hold of being an English pinhead.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from goodgameslover:

Usual scoop damage. Nothing a protector won't "protect".
    I personally put some varnish on it. I put about 4 extra layers on it, same for the shooterlane.
    It's holding very good, and looks better also.

goodgameslover, you got any pics ?? When you did the shooter lane, did you have any issues with getting the varnish even across the entire shooter lane ??

#63 11 years ago

My newest attempt at making this protector work. With my friend Martin's help we nailed the correct ball path angle and width. Zero affect on ball and yet still protects 99% of the scoop edge.

dscn1816.jpgdscn1816.jpg dscn1821.jpgdscn1821.jpg dscn1830.jpgdscn1830.jpg dscn1844.jpgdscn1844.jpg dscn1832.jpgdscn1832.jpg

#64 11 years ago

And a pic of the Tron shooter eject protector in case no one has seen it yet either-

7Tron-eject-done.jpg7Tron-eject-done.jpg

#65 11 years ago

I install a Mantis protector before the first game was played.
    I also did jackal's idea “Hard as Nails”
    Here is a picture with 1118 plays on it.

IMG_0070.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

#66 11 years ago

for sale?

#67 11 years ago

Cliffy sir, you are a genius and a gift to this hobby! Protector looks great btw installed your TRON ramp protectors extremely happy quality product & I highly recommend them for anyone with (or even without) a TRON

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

I install a Mantis protector before the first game was played.

Attachments IMG_0070.jpg (66.8 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

Lookin' good. Yep, Hard as Nails is crystal clear. You can put on multiple layers and never know it was there and it really does help to protect the pf.

#69 11 years ago

I'm just glad we have Cliffy and Kerry to help protect our pins. Without these guys are pins would like like.... well the OP's pin... in sad shape

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

pinballlooking said:I install a Mantis protector before the first game was played.
    Attachments IMG_0070.jpg (66.8 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

Lookin' good. Yep, Hard as Nails is crystal clear. You can put on multiple layers and never know it was there and it really does help to protect the pf.

I've been taking your advice, and have been doing this to all my pins. Seems to really work. Have to get around to putting extra coats on them all now. I certainly don't see any down side to doing this. My wife actually had some of this stuff in her drawer. Now it's in my pin tool box.

#71 11 years ago

Ok, I gotta ask after looking at the pictures.
    What plastic protector set includes the orange ZEN plastic.

Also where did you get those funky looking pop bumper caps?

#72 11 years ago

Looks great, Cliffy! So the ball never gets hung up on this new design?

#73 11 years ago

Go cliffy!

#74 11 years ago

It took long enough!
    The hint was in the text... Martin showed up not only to help me with the protector design but also to install his new Tron plastics protectors and bumper caps with stacked identity discs Available now from pinbits.com although they may not be up on their site yet. It's a 6 piece set of protectors plus 3 bumper caps. It's hard to capture the flourescent edge lighting in pics. Probably the best pic of the effect is the last pic in the set above over the upper flipper. Here's a pic of the sling protectors although my camera makes the yellow look more green and the blue looks fairly muted.

tron-sling-lt1.jpgtron-sling-lt1.jpg tron-sling-rt1.jpgtron-sling-rt1.jpg

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Looks great, Cliffy! So the ball never gets hung up on this new design?

Not at all. I can't even get the ball to sit anywhere on the edge by hand placing it. It just drops right in.

#76 11 years ago

Nice work Cliffy!

#77 11 years ago

EEK should spend a couple dollars to save your machine before routing it. Cheaper in the long run! Congrats though it is payed for.

Cliffy to the rescue again. Really like the new shooter lane protector. Great idea and placement for added protection.

Have a great night guys/gals off to play some pins

#78 11 years ago

LOOKS GREAT (As Usual Cliffster)

#79 11 years ago

The Cliffster ALWAYS comes through in the clutch! I'm in for the new style for sure!

#80 11 years ago

Crap! Now I have to buy it again... I have the original Cliffy on mine.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

That's how they get ya!!! Gotta buy the 2k12 model now

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Or mod it

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

That's how they get ya!!! Gotta buy the 2k12 model now

Ha! Good point. They built a better mousetrap!

I was thinking I could try that first and then if I screw it up I at least have the option of buying the new one to replace it.

#84 11 years ago

Cliff...you are truly a genius! Thanks!

Einstein_2.gifEinstein_2.gif

#85 11 years ago

heh cliff..... those new plastic protectors look great. have you tried throwing a few uv leds in there from cointaker?

i tried the UV's in my tron le with the uv plastics from gamestencils and they look awesome. i ended up taking them out for fear of fading (per some other pinheads comments). i almost wanna put them back in since they looked soooo good. tron + glow = futuristic gamegrid bliss.

has anyone ever seen a uv lit pinball with a faded playfield like VIPER or BBB?? chris

here's a pic when my tron le was all UV'd out.

It took long enough!
    The hint was in the text... Martin showed up not only to help me with the protector design but also to install his new Tron plastics protectors and bumper caps with stacked identity discs Available now from pinbits.com although they may not be up on their site yet. It's a 6 piece set of protectors plus 3 bumper caps. It's hard to capture the flourescent edge lighting in pics. Probably the best pic of the effect is the last pic in the set above over the upper flipper. Here's a pic of the sling protectors although my camera makes the yellow look more green and the blue looks fairly muted.

Attachments tron-sling-rt1.jpg (338.1 KB, 0 downloads) 15 hours old tron-sling-lt1.jpg (359 KB, 0 downloads) 15 hours old

1572.JPG1572.JPG

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I was thinking I could try that first and then if I screw it up I at least have the option of buying the new one to replace it.

No just send it to me and let me do it please

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

The hint was in the text... Martin showed up not only to help me with the protector design but also to install his new Tron plastics protectors and bumper caps with stacked identity discs [] Available now from pinbits.com although they may not be up on their site yet. It's a 6 piece set of protectors plus 3 bumper caps. It's hard to capture the flourescent edge lighting in pics. Probably the best pic of the effect is the last pic in the set above over the upper flipper. Here's a pic of the sling protectors although my camera makes the yellow look more green and the blue looks fairly muted.

Ugh.. THAT figures, I just bought the LSoG set!!

#89 11 years ago

I also stole my wife's Hard as Nails after finding out she had it one night. I need to hit that area with a few more coats, takes a little while to actually get hard instead of gummy when using multiple applications....but it does work great. Hasn't been any further damage in that area, just want to level it out to prevent further edge chipping.

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

takes a little while to actually get hard..

They make pills for that you know.

#91 11 years ago

Christ, I knew I was going to get called on that..

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

I had my wife pick up some hard as nails while she was at Walmart:

So just to reiterate what this stuff is intended for (input please):

Only on sloped surfaces where Mylar sticking would be a problem?

And not on screening--only on the cleared natural areas of the PF?

Scoop holes, unscreened shooter lanes, and saucer holes (TOTAN)?

1 month later
    #93 11 years ago

Is Cliffy's protector available somewhere for purchase? I found the Mantis one, but I like how Cliffy's bites a bit of the edge, which seems like better protection for the wood on the trap.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from bjorg:

Is Cliffy's protector available somewhere for purchase?

You can order directly from him.

http://passionforpinball.com/

#95 11 years ago

Cliffy needs an award of some type!!!!

#96 11 years ago

@ARTMAN, thanks!

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from rgb635:

Cliffy needs an award of some type!!!!

My sleepless nights are thanks enough.... HA! Thanks to YOU guys for keeping the faith!

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-let-this-happen-to-your-tron/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.