Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Cliffy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1572.JPG
    Einstein_2.gif
    tron-sling-rt1.jpg
    tron-sling-lt1.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    7Tron-eject-done.jpg
    dscn1832.jpg
    dscn1844.jpg
    dscn1830.jpg
    dscn1821.jpg
    dscn1816.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Spend the money and get a protector!

// Error: Image 25706 not found //

#2 11 years ago

Was that on route?

#3 11 years ago

ouch!! I also say that when I have to buy a cliffy.

#4 11 years ago

Has to be a route pin. Home use it takes a lot of plays to create that wear.

#5 11 years ago

I heard there was a Tron LE at Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor MI. I figure they'd just put it on the floor with no protectors installed. I wonder what that one looks like right about now?

#6 11 years ago

Cliffy to the rescue!

#7 11 years ago

Cliffy doesnt make one. Mantas has one that goes inside. I just bought it for 24 shipped.

Time for a new playfield.

I put strips of mylar on the right and front to help.

#8 11 years ago

Oh, that is a Tron LE too. NO LE PFs to swap that out with. Bummer.

#9 11 years ago

ON NO! THAT TINY LITTLE BIT OF WEAR COMPLETELY RUINS THE JOY I COULD GET OUT OF THIS GAME!!!

Quoted from Av8:

Cliffy doesnt make one. Mantas has one that goes inside. I just bought it for 24 shipped.

You're kidding, right?

#10 11 years ago

Usual scoop damage. Nothing a protector won't "protect".
    I personally put some varnish on it. I put about 4 extra layers on it, same for the shooterlane.
    It's holding very good, and looks better also.

#11 11 years ago

Part & parcel..

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Cliffy to the rescue!

There is no Cliffy available for that hole, and there will be no Cliffy for that hole.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

txstargazer3 said:Cliffy to the rescue!
    There is no Cliffy available for that hole, and there will be no Cliffy for that hole.

Nothing to hold it in place ?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I heard there was a Tron LE at Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor MI. I figure they'd just put it on the floor with no protectors installed. I wonder what that one looks like right about now?

The TRON LE at the PHOF in Las Vegas is worse than that! What a shame since a $24 interior protector and some cheap Mylar would prevent any of that.

#15 11 years ago

I can't make out anything in that picture. I see some playfield wear but also some metal piece in the photo I can't identify and it's way too up close.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'm sure Cliffy will make one, just give him time.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'm sure Cliffy will make one, just give him time.

No, he already tried and it just didn't work out. Maybe he'll chime in here and clarify, but from what I remember, slow moving balls would get stuck on the lip of the protector and there just wasn't any way to make it work....

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

kwiKimart said:I'm sure Cliffy will make one, just give him time.
    No, he already tried and it just didn't work out. Maybe he'll chime in here and clarify, but from what I remember, slow moving balls would get stuck on the lip of the protector and there just wasn't any way to make it work....

There were a few test cliffys made. I have one of them. The ball would hang up on the edge during a skill shot to the arcade.

#19 11 years ago

Watch the wear, even with the Mantis protector. I posted last week about putting CA glue all the way around the beveled edges and sanding smooth on mine, b/c the clear was wearing after a few hundred plays.

#20 11 years ago

Needs a custom cut Mylar border with tabs that fold in a bit to where the mantis protector takes over.
    One more thing for me to play around with at work

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from btrip:

ON NO! THAT TINY LITTLE BIT OF WEAR COMPLETELY RUINS THE JOY I COULD GET OUT OF THIS GAME!!!
    Av8 said:Cliffy doesnt make one. Mantas has one that goes inside. I just bought it for 24 shipped.

You're kidding, right?

Haha....I know right!

I am with you....it's like some light wear on an out hole makes the game UNPLAYABLE! Now that area is just more "smooth".

#22 11 years ago

Its a disorder I have. Perfectionist, compulsive or obsessive.

What kind of varnish?

#23 11 years ago

Next time you are at the grocery store, pick up "Sally Hansen, Hard as Nails" in the nail polish section. Works great as a protector and crystal clear.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Cliffy doesnt make one.

Well, yes, I do make them. But I do not generally SELL them. I will only sell one to those who understand it can cause a ball hang on the right side on a really slow ball and are willing to live with it. I made some laser cut 5 mil mylars that butt up to the edge which really helps get the ball over but doesn't totally eliminate it.

#25 11 years ago

Definitely no chips on my baby!
    The mylar works well enough to put up with the occasional ball hang.
    Waaaaaay better than the alternative...

Thanks Cliffy!

IMG_0756.jpgIMG_0756.jpg

You can space the rubber protector just slightly, with another thin rubber shim (in between rubber and post) for the upper right post of "Flynn's Arcade", nearly eliminating the hang up. It changes the angle just slightly to keep the ball rolling into the arcade.

#26 11 years ago

Tron pro

#27 11 years ago

With that kind of damage you should probably never play that pinball machine ever again...........just look...don't touch.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Av8 said:Cliffy doesnt make one.
    Well, yes, I do make them. But I do not generally SELL them. I will only sell one to those who understand it can cause a ball hang on the right side on a really slow ball and are willing to live with it. I made some laser cut 5 mil mylars that butt up to the edge which really helps get the ball over but doesn't totally eliminate it.

Not sure if you saw this from the"Tron Protector, First Look" thread:

"Cliffy,

Any chance of designing the scoop protector with just an L-design that allows a slow roll from the right? Or even a notched-out protector, something like this:

L'

The front end of my scoop is starting to chip and I'm not sure a Mantis is going to stop it. Maybe even just a front edge like the TAF vault setup you have.

Thanks,

Brian"

I've since installed a Mantis, but really think the notched protector idea above would work.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Any chance of designing the scoop protector with just an L-design that allows a slow roll from the right? Or even a notched-out protector, something like this:

L'

I think it was Chris Heffner who tried it with a notch for the right side but it had a major problem with a loss of rigidity. It warped slightly and in general just looked funky. Maybe not as funky as a damaged hole but....

I'm intrigued by the single edged protector idea though. Especially along the left edge... hmmm...

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

pinster68 said:Any chance of designing the scoop protector with just an L-design that allows a slow roll from the right? Or even a notched-out protector, something like this:
    L'
    I think it was Chris Heffner who tried it with a notch for the right side but it had a major problem with a loss of rigidity. It warped slightly and in general just looked funky. Maybe not as funky as a damaged hole but....
    I'm intrigued by the single edged protector idea though. Especially along the left edge... hmmm...

Wear is consistent it seems. Mine is nowhere near the pic at the top of this thread, but I do have chips at the front and left.

#31 11 years ago

I'm in Vegas now, that was the PHOF game! It's an LE!!!! The game plays like $hit. Funny how the games there are in really bad shape. Tim needs to get them up and running correctly. Very sad to see.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Tron pro, pinballz arcade, ~5500 games played

Attachments 2012-04-28_20-00-05_600.jpg (166.2 KB, 0 downloads) 8 hours old

5,500 plays?

$1 a game?

The table has paid for it's self.

#33 11 years ago

When are the ramp protectors ready?

Mark

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Exejet:

I'm in Vegas now, that was the PHOF game! It's an LE!!!! The game plays like $hit. Funny how the games there are in really bad shape. Tim needs to get them up and running correctly. Very sad to see.

Wow, that's too bad. I played it a couple of months ago and the wear was there, but at least it was dialed in pretty good. The game played fast and accurate. Doesn't take much I guess.
    The same happened at a local stern distributor. I played their floor model pro when the game was reelases and it played great. A few months later and the same game plays life garbage. What happens to cause such a drastic change? Once my B/W games are set up properly it can be months or even years before an adjustment is needed.

#35 11 years ago

Anyone using the mantis protector noticed any wear developing?

#36 11 years ago

Just added the Mantis to mine. I think it will help, but not with the chips around the lip.

#37 11 years ago

I have a mantis on mine now and I went over the edge of the hole with clear nail polish hardner. No chips out of mine.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

When are the ramp protectors ready?

heh heh heh guess who got blanks from laser last night?

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

shlockdoc said:When are the ramp protectors ready?
    heh heh heh guess who got blanks from laser last night?

Awesome news! Can't wait.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

No chips on my baby!
    Thanks Cliffy!

You can space the rubber protector just slightly, with another thin rubber shim (in between rubber and post) for the upper right post of "Flynn's Arcade", nearly eliminating the hang up. It changes the angle just slightly to keep the ball rolling into the arcade.

Attachments IMG_0756.jpg (26.6 KB, 0 downloads) 19 hours old

I dont' see any problem with that scoop protector, and could certainly live with a ball not falling in once in awhile. Is that the Cliffy? I have the Mantis, but it only protects the inside of the hole, not the top of the playfield. Even a good mylar would be fine.
    Cliffy...you there?

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Apologies just wanted to bump my question as damage on TRON scoops is becoming an issue for a few but no photo I've seen yet shows a mantis protector.

Gonna be trying your nail polish trick Jackel, bet you have great nails .

#42 11 years ago

Put a coat on, let it dry, repeat about 4-5 times or so. Works great.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Exejet:

Boy, I might go to Vegas for my 21st, and this isn't good news at all.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Is that the Cliffy?

Yes sir; even though it's not up to Cliffy's meticulous standards of perfection, it sure works as advertised!

#45 11 years ago

I switched from a cliffy protector, that I bought, to a mantis. The cliffy did work quite well, but I did have some ball hang ups.

I will sale it if anybody wants it. Its in perfect condition. Pm me for details. Sold...

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

I have a mantis on mine now and I went over the edge of the hole with clear nail polish hardner. No chips out of mine.

+1...This will work a treat!

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Definitely no chips on my baby!
    Thanks Cliffy!

Attachments IMG_0756.jpg (26.6 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old

So glad we got one of cliffy's 'prototypes'.. I knew they would be necessary. 1/100 ball hang is fine with me, well worth it.
    Thanks cliff!

#48 11 years ago

You bet guys. And thanks for the pic post, Nim!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

I think it will help, but not with the chips around the lip.

Yea, an internal protector won't help for this kind of wear.

Mylar is probably your best bet.

Robert

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

My Tron Pro (which is on location at Marvin's Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills Mi) has the Mantis and shows little to no wear. I can take a picture later this week. It has thousands of plays also.

IIRC, Cliffy said he couldn't make a protector that didn't affect the game play and recommended people get the Mantis - so I did.

Parker

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-let-this-happen-to-your-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.