(Topic ID: 274839)

Don’t ever say never - paypal fxxcked me

By baller88

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4F9759D5-B3E3-4323-84F0-F50DC33DE651 (resized).jpeg
    XqvGzHIcHkqOx6WWG-6-iJVsZksY12GG0_a959ZDKpo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    free (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LesManley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Unless I’m missing something, this was a chargeback via MasterCard thru and thru. Use F+F or not, a chargeback is possible. That’s always been the case for a credit card transaction. My guess is that PayPal would stick it to you regardless here, including digging the money out of your linked bank account if need be. In their mind they are just the middleman here and his beef should be with MasterCard not them. Chargebacks have been an issue as a retailer since the dawn of credit cards

This is key. Taking F&F as a business is bad, but in reality, OP would probably have been just as screwed had it been a normal payment. I don't think these people set out to rip him off since they tried to contact him for help on fixing the game and I don't think they would do that if their intent was to get the game for free all along. But, even with a normal CC payment through Paypal, if they want to be dishonest and potentially get the game for free, they can easily do it. Even in a best case scenario where the OP doesn't lose the game, those payment funds could be frozen for days, weeks or longer while everything is sorted out. Paypal has to play by the CC company's rules and honestly they don't care much who loses money as long as it isn't them, plus there really isn't that much they can do vs. a credit card company even if they really want to. Depending on the reason the person gave for the chargeback, they are likely just as helpless in the situation as the seller who is out the money. If people really realized half the things they can do with credit cards and chargebacks, businesses (online especially) would be crippled by dishonest people gaming the system.

It doesn't apply here, but one type scenario is that credit cards were never meant to be used when not in person. The number is only there as a fall back when the magnetic strip doesn't work. Accepting CC's online without a physical swipe and/or signature really opens you up to potential issues. I recently sold a brand new Target exclusive talking Fozzy Bear on eBay. Person bought it, got it and was super happy about it. Left positive feedback saying they loved it and sent me a message saying how her son who is on the spectrum loves it and plays with it constantly. Fast forward a week and I get another message saying her son broke it and she wants to return it now. I was super nice about it, but explained that she was thrilled when the item arrived as expected, that I don't accept returns and I can't be held responsible for her son breaking something that was brand new a week later. Fact is, it was a Target exclusive toy from a couple of years ago, so I couldn't replace it if I wanted to. I tried to help her trouble shoot it and directed her to the manufacturer, but she didn't want to hear it and said she was going to file a complaint. Ebay sided with me, but she went to her CC and filed a chargeback saying that the item arrived "not as described" which was utter non-sense as I had it her own words that that was a lie. Paypal took the money from me and started their "investigation". I had her positive feedback saying the item was as described, I had her message saying her son loved it and was playing with it constantly and I even had her message saying her son broke it after the fact...didn't matter. They sided with her and her obvious lie to get the outcome she wanted. I lost all the money including shipping...plus a $20 chargeback fee on top of that for good measure...she didn't even have to return the item. Wonder if it really was even broken? Who knows.

Everytime I sell anything of any kind of substantial value online I hold my breath because you just never know. It's gotten to the point where I only sell smaller dollar things on eBay that I am mentally and financially prepared to simply lose out on completely if it comes to that...right or wrong. I understand that retailers have to take electronic payments for high dollar items like pinball machines, but as an individual I would never consider doing that personally. For me, if that had to be done, then the sale isn't right and I am not going to force it and end up regretting it later.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LesManley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-ever-say-never-paypal-fxxcked-me-?tu=LesManley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.