(Topic ID: 274839)

Don’t ever say never - paypal fxxcked me

By baller88

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4F9759D5-B3E3-4323-84F0-F50DC33DE651 (resized).jpeg
    XqvGzHIcHkqOx6WWG-6-iJVsZksY12GG0_a959ZDKpo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    free (resized).PNG

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I tried it when selling a game a few years ago. I suggested it because people on Pinside suggested it and it was a huge hassle. I was actually embarrassed I suggested it in the first place once we got into the meat of signing up. We didn't end up using escrow.

I just don't understand what the 'huge hassle' was. It took me 5 minutes to set up, and then I had to click maybe 3 buttons to confirm things along the way.

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

People are talking about escrow. I am curious how that may help in this case other than another layer of buerocracy?
    Perhaps another intermidiate to ensure the buyer sent something back to the seller, or does the seller have a chance to confirm that the item was returned int he same order it was shipped out? what happens when the ultimate desparity happens, and someone is lying? at the end of the day, the CC authority sided with the buyer.. the potential for escrow to do the same is here as well.

Quoted from ectobar:

I just don't understand what the 'huge hassle' was. It took me 5 minutes to set up, and then I had to click maybe 3 buttons to confirm things along the way.

I have very limited experience with escrow, but so far so good. Extra steps, extra fees, but I found it to be far more secure and worry free than say PayPal.

Basically what happens in the end is that the buyer confirms that everything is all good before the escrow company releases the funds.

So if they said “it’s good” and then afterwards changed their minds and filed a chargeback with the cc against the escrow company...My guess is that the escrow company would go to bat with that prior proof. Not sure though, never had the joy of experiencing that part.

#203 3 years ago

I know that Zelle is an instant bank to bank transfer and a LOT of banks are set up to use Zelle now. It is very easy to use and the money is instantly in your account from the other person's account. I am not sure how it could be reversible and have not looked into it to see if it is.

If you have distrust of PayPal, then stay away from Venmo as well. Same company, different name.

#204 3 years ago

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Bank to bank wire transfer. Takes 15 minutes, non-reversible.

Have had it take days. Have had issues whereby the other person could not see it, (got hung up by their bank). Its not that clear cut sadly.

#206 3 years ago

OMG......If one more person emails me a link to this thread....

Stop sending this to me.

ALL of the answers are stickied at the TOP of the forum, the very first thread, there is nothing new here.

Go to these 2 links from six years ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813452

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

1. It does NOT matter if the seller used Friends & Family or a normal Paypal transaction. <---read this statement again.

No matter what form of Paypal payment the buyer used, the result would be exactly the same. The buyer does a chargeback on his credit card, and the money is removed from the sellers account.

Paypal does not look at contracts that you had the buyer sign, ever.

2. You can't **call** Paypal and get it reversed. No one at Paypal will ever reverse a decision. You can't send in evidence or contracts, it's done.

3. Every county is different, but many Small Claims courts have a $2,500 ceiling. Amounts larger than that need to go to a regular District Court and you'll need an attorney.

Small Claims courts normally will not hear Fraud cases anyway. So they won't hear the classic Paypal Pickup Scam cases.

4. Even if you somehow lived in a state that allowed $7,000 Small Claims amounts, AND allowed fraud cases; winning does not mean you will ever get the money. It's not the Peoples Court where you get the damages at the end of the hearing.

You might win, but normally you will never get paid.

Everyone simply leaves the courtroom at the end. It's not like they have to pay before they can leave.

The only thing you get is the satisfaction of having the judgement in your favor. Hooray.

--------

So again, nothing has changed in the world.

NEVER take Paypal if you are not ready to completely loose the money + the additional chargeback fees.

It does not matter how many successful Paypal transactions you've had in the past. The buyer does a chargeback, and the money is gone. There is no way to ever get it back. Every scammer knows this.

Escrow is NOT for in-person sales, that's silly.

CASH is the only form of payment for an in-person sale. Get a $2 counterfeit money pen if you don't know what real money looks like.

If a local buyer can't go get you the cash, it's a scam; always. The bank will be open tomorrow.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813446

-

Stop emailing me about this unless a new scam has been created.

-

-

#207 3 years ago

He has spoken!

Thanks Vid.

#208 3 years ago

If anything, this thread at least let me know vid is still alive and kicking ass.

I'll def avoid PayPal for any future pinball sales, too.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

If anything, this thread at least let me know vid is still alive and kicking ass.
    I'll def avoid PayPal for any future pinball sales, too.

If anything, this thread let me know there are people who need to stop bugging the shit out of Vid over common sense shit.

#210 3 years ago

Well shit, hi Vid!

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Everyone simply leaves the courtroom at the end. It's not like they have to pay before they can leave.
    The only thing you get is the satisfaction of having the judgement in your favor. Hooray.

You actually don't get the judgement at the end of the trial either. The judge says "thank you, you're dismissed," and then you leave the courtroom and wait to hear what they say via mail. Or at least that's what happened 20 years ago when I had to sue my landlord in small claims court. (I won, handily... and it literally was like a Judge Judy case... judge asked for evidence of how much he paid to replace something, and the landlord said he didn't have any proof but, "I raised my right hand and promised to tell the truth, isn't that good enough?" LOL The judge replied, "They raised their hands and promised to tell the truth too. But in court, you need proof." ).

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Genuine and sincere question.
    To all of you who are saying "cash is king" don't you think that you are more likely to get ripped off showing up to a stranger's house with cash?
    I tell you I have a machine available for $4k. Cash only. I give you some random address and show up with a gun. When you pull up I wait in the driveway, tell you to come in then pull s gun on you and walk away with $4k cash.
    If you go through PayPal (not using friends and family) I would think you are much less likely to get ripped off. As a buyer, I would see it as a red flag if you didn't accept PayPal and expected me to show up with cash.

You got downvoted more than I think you should have. I agree with you - carrying a lot of cash on hand makes me nervous. Hell, the one time I had $5k in cash for a machine, I was super nervous walking out of the BANK...

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

1. It does NOT matter if the seller used Friends & Family or a normal Paypal transaction. <---read this statement again.

No matter what form of Paypal payment the buyer used, the result would be exactly the same. The buyer does a chargeback on his credit card, and the money is removed from the sellers account.

so even if you transfer the money from your seller account to your bank, then if the buyer claim a charge back your account will just go Negative?

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We have top men working on it......top men.

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

-

Smoke Signal Sent!

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

You got downvoted more than I think you should have. I agree with you - carrying a lot of cash on hand makes me nervous. Hell, the one time I had $5k in cash for a machine, I was super nervous walking out of the BANK...

I didn't partake in the downvote fest, but my guess as to why he got downvoted was because his scenario reads just a bit outrageous, though not entirely unlikely to happen.

I think most people here are pretty cautious when it comes to reading the language of a pinball ad (and i'm not talking about just a written language, if you get what i'm saying.) Instinct and sixth sense will come into play, and I think most people here are able to sniff out a scam or when something just isn't right.

Plus, it's always good to bring a friend to help move it. Basically a witness to the transaction.

Lastly, if you guys are uncomfortable handling money, maybe have an actual grown up go with you to hold the money if it is too scary.

I kid, I kid.

Just carry a gun.

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Also, if it were a Friends & Family payment there would be no avenue to file a dispute, as there is no Buyer Protection (PayPal's scheme) with them. See here for confirmation.

They didn't win a dispute via paypal - They did a chargeback on their funding of paypal.

Quoted from Durzel:

Whilst that's true (about CC chargebacks happening outside PayPal), this wasn't a F&F payment because if it was the buyer wouldn't have been able to file a dispute through PayPal themselves.

Again - they didn't file and win a dispute through paypal. Their credit card company granted them a chargeback. Paypal just takes the money back from the seller because paypal doesn't want to eat the transaction.

This is the crux of the problem and always has been.

#218 3 years ago

Sooo glad to hear from you Vid. Please stay with us.

#219 3 years ago

Pinside had to upset the great one to return!

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Mn is a shall issue state meaning if you aren't a criminal, the authorities WILL issue you a carry permit. Mo is a constitutional carry state meaning you do not need any kind of permit to carry concealed. If you are carrying a large amount of cash, it gives some peace of mind if you have a weapon and are able to use it effectively should your contact turn out to be a criminal intent on robbing you by force.

#221 3 years ago

Ohmigod! It’s Vid!

I was honestly just scrolling past most posts just reading the OP’s blue posts and then I saw an avatar pic that I recognized.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from baller88:

Levi nailed it for the most part
    They weren’t trying to scam Just pissed off and expected a retail level of service that is sometimes not possible with old pinball machines I told them what I needed to clear and they added the calculations and paid the fees PayPal got paid by the buyer I saw the correct amount clear and I never really thought about dissecting it. I’m optimistic still and I truly believe this wasn’t malicious, Btw for the negative people ok this forum - I’m posting this so others are aware in this community on what could happen Posting on a public forum isn’t my thing . Everyone ever ripped off should always share with the community Pride needs to be set aside to protect others from getting scammed PayPal Nigerians and all the fake websites tell # s etc

You took Friends and Family, period. You did it to avoid the Paypal fees and possibly having to report the sale. Paypal got paid fees from the sender because they used a credit card instead of a bank account. So if the buyer included fees in the payment, you actually got more than $7500? Who's eyes are you trying to pull the wool over? Once the buyer complained to the credit card company , you were done. Paypal is 3rd party at that point and not going to lose their $7500 to a he said she said.

With all that being said, it's complete bullshit these people still have a game they didn't pay for. I hope you get it back or get paid again for it. CASH.

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Ohmigod! It’s Vid!

Need to rename this thread:

Vid showed up!!! and paypal still sucks.

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Right!

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Have had it take days. Have had issues whereby the other person could not see it, (got hung up by their bank). Its not that clear cut sadly.

Maybe if the last time you tried it was 1984.
    Not going to argue simple shit. Go talk to your bank.

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

I know that Zelle is an instant bank to bank transfer and a LOT of banks are set up to use Zelle now. It is very easy to use and the money is instantly in your account from the other person's account. I am not sure how it could be reversible and have not looked into it to see if it is.
    If you have distrust of PayPal, then stay away from Venmo as well. Same company, different name.

I don't think you can do more than $1,000 at a time with zelle

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stop sending this to me.
    ALL of the answers are stickied at the TOP of the forum, the very first thread, there is nothing new here.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813452
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448
    2. You can't **call** Paypal and get it reversed. No one at Paypal will ever reverse a decision. You can't send in evidence or contracts, it's done.
    3. Every county is different, but many Small Claims courts have a $2,500 ceiling. Amounts larger than that need to go to a regular District Court and you'll need an attorney.
    Small Claims courts normally will not hear Fraud cases anyway. So they won't hear the classic Paypal Pickup Scam cases.
    4. Even if you somehow lived in a state that allowed $7,000 Small Claims amounts, AND allowed fraud cases; winning does not mean you will ever get the money. It's not the Peoples Court where you get the damages at the end of the hearing.
    --------
    NEVER take Paypal if you are not ready to completely loose the money + the additional chargeback fees.
    It does not matter how many successful Paypal transactions you've had in the past. The buyer does a chargeback, and the money is gone. There is no way to ever get it back. Every scammer knows this.
    CASH is the only form of payment for an in-person sale. Get a $2 counterfeit money pen if you don't know what real money looks like.
    If a local buyer can't go get you the cash, it's a scam; always. The bank will be open tomorrow.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813446
    -
    -
    -

Yes, but what’s the best type of wax I can use on my playfield?

#228 3 years ago

Sorry to hear you got bombed with messages, Vid. However, it that is what it takes to get you back on Pinside...missed seeing The Tall Man avatar.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I don't think you can do more than $1,000 at a time with zelle

True

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

If anything, this thread let me know there are people who need to stop bugging the shit out of Vid over common sense shit.

Think the number of emails re: Paypal threads topped the number emails re: playfield dimpling threads?

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Last time was last fall when I got jolly park. But hey you weren't there and everything is simple shit when you are pulling it out of your ass.

#232 3 years ago

There is a large amount of institutions and education in Yemen, where Vid lists his location.
    Perhaps he is here at the University of Science and Technology, teaching.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #233 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

The Cops have to come and take his complaint and they have to file it. They can try and dissuade him, but if he insists they have no choice but to do it.

I'm not sure where you live, but that's not how it works here. My car was stolen in Denver. Called the cops and gave details of where and what. There were no injuries; I had no idea who took it; I had no description to give. I waited three hours for someone to show up and called again. They said they had all of the details they needed...."we'll let you know if we find it".

I doubt that the Great Pinball Robbery would generate a visit here!

#234 3 years ago
    XqvGzHIcHkqOx6WWG-6-iJVsZksY12GG0_a959ZDKpo (resized).jpgXqvGzHIcHkqOx6WWG-6-iJVsZksY12GG0_a959ZDKpo (resized).jpg
    #235 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stop sending this to me.
    --------
    -
    -
    -

Actually, Escrow.com can be used for "in-person" transactions. Therefore, in this case the seller would have had only a certain period of time to reject and would have been forced to return the machine in order to receive a refund.

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

I'm not sure where you live, but that's not how it works here. My car was stolen in Denver. Called the cops and gave details of where and what. There were no injuries; I had no idea who took it; I had no description to give. I waited three hours for someone to show up and called again. They said they had all of the details they needed...."we'll let you know if we find it".
    I doubt that the Great Pinball Robbery would generate a visit here!

If law enforcement is not willing to travel to you to receive the complaint and statement, the proper protocol is to go down to the precinct and file your complaint in person. Many insurance companies require you to do this for stolen items and law enforcement will accept your complaint (they may do nothing about it, but they will give you a complaint number and keep a record of it).

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Totally agree. Vid’s appearance is by far the best thing in this thread. Now we just need to figure out a way to get him to stay.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Had it happen recently. Called and was told it depends on the bank. I've also had it (zelle) go through just about instantly. I guess it depends on how either bank handles it. Mike

#238 3 years ago

Sup Vid. Hope all is well.

#239 3 years ago

Vid, nice to hear you chime in. You have been greatly missed. For all you newbs look up vids how to threads. They are simply the best. Hope your sabbatical is over!!!!

#240 3 years ago

The little wise guy inside of me wants to email this thread to Vid.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Vid’s appearance is by far the best thing in this thread. Now we just need to figure out a way to get him to stay.

How about stopping the emails he complained about?

#242 3 years ago

Here is what I would do if I was the OP:

1. Go to the customer's address in person with your truck, knock on the door, and let them know you're coming to pick up the machine. See what happens.
    2. File a report with the police department for GTP (Grand Theft Pinball), as a pinball machine is worth more than a lot of POS cars you see around. Maybe even call the police and ask them to come to the customer's house location while you wait there.

In all seriousness, what have the interactions been with the customer after the chargeback? Calls, emails, in-person visit? Has the OP checked with the police department to see what possible recourse there is?

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Genuine and sincere question.
    To all of you who are saying "cash is king" don't you think that you are more likely to get ripped off showing up to a stranger's house with cash?
    I tell you I have a machine available for $4k. Cash only. I give you some random address and show up with a gun. When you pull up I wait in the driveway, tell you to come in then pull s gun on you and walk away with $4k cash.
    If you go through PayPal (not using friends and family) I would think you are much less likely to get ripped off. As a buyer, I would see it as a red flag if you didn't accept PayPal and expected me to show up with cash.

Is there any update to the guest on Kaneda's podcast who got robbed at gunpoint when he tried to make a multi-game NIB Stern purchase? I think it was in New York?

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

Here is what I would do if I was the OP:
    1. Go to the customer's address in person with your truck, knock on the door, and let them know you're coming to pick up the machine. See what happens.
    2. File a report with the police department for GTP (Grand Theft Pinball), as a pinball machine is worth more than a lot of POS cars you see around. Maybe even call the police and ask them to come to the customer's house location while you wait there.
    In all seriousness, what have the interactions been with the customer after the chargeback? Calls, emails, in-person visit? Has the OP checked with the police department to see what possible recourse there is?

And bring the video. Hell, hire a cop off duty for an hour to help you load the pin. Gotta get creative...

#245 3 years ago

VID FOR PRESIDENT ! ! !

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Unfortunately in the USA the laws typically favor the criminal.

The proper name for that in the US is, Innocent until proven guilty.

#247 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

OMG......

-
    -

Mic drop from Vid’s ghost. Awesome!

#248 3 years ago

That was just Vid’s echo you heard from him explaining this years ago.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stop sending this to me.
    --------
    -
    -
    -

Man I've really been wonderin if you have since upgraded from the XDP-100?
    BEST audio I've ever heard.
    I miss your better-than-anything-else-ever deals dude.
    Thanks for those man.

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stop emailing me about this unless a new scam has been created

Sounds to me that Vid just might come back if we let him know he is needed and appreciated, which he is.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-vid1900

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-ever-say-never-paypal-fxxcked-me-/page/5?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.