Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
sign_wxk_81_(resized).PNG
image_(resized).png
acdcmount_(resized).jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Just purchased MET premium so went to Color dmd to buy one but if $399 isn't high enough already, now you have to purchase extra accessories $25 to mount the damn thing.
Why should I have to buy mounting hardware for it? It should already just be included.
If I'm buying a color dmd for Metallica, I expect it to work with Metallica without having to buy extra shit to make it work.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Just purchased MET premium so went to Color dmd to buy one but if $399 isn't high enough already, now you have to purchase extra accessories $25 to mount the damn thing.
Why should I have to buy mounting hardware for it? It should already just be included.
If I'm buying a color dmd for Metallica, I expect it to work with Metallica without having to buy extra shit to make it work.

Would it make you feel better if they listed it for Metallica for $425 instead of the $400 plus the $25 mounting hardware?

I believe some Metallica have the old style speaker panel that did not need the extra hardware.

#3 7 years ago

Hopefully the shipping charge won't be a burden......

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

You know you don't have to buy it. Metallica works great without a ColorDmd. I've played it.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully the shipping charge won't be a burden......

+10% sales tax if you live nearby...

#6 7 years ago

I installed mine successfully without extra stuff.

#7 7 years ago

Gorilla tape is stronger that regular duct tape!!

#8 7 years ago

If there's extra hardware needed they aren't gonna eat the cost. Wouldn't make any sense.

Why are you telling us this anyway? You should contact them directly and ask them for free stuff. We can't do anything about it.

#9 7 years ago

Hate to break this to you but there are shipping charges as well.

#10 7 years ago

First world problems if I have to buy one and ship it to Canada it's going to cost me at least $650.

I get were you are coming from. However some people buy one Color end and swap games so splitting the kit from the dmd can save people money in the end

#11 7 years ago

Why blame ColorDMD?
I'd blame stern for changing the panel!!!!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why are you telling us this anyway? You should contact them directly and ask them for free stuff. We can't do anything about it.

Ok,if thats the case then you should be posting the same thing on about 90% threads that are posted on pinside.
I thought this is where you come to be captain negative so u can bitch n moan about first world problems.
Seems like that's what this forum has turned into lately anyways.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I installed mine successfully without extra stuff.

thanks I'll test it out with color dmd I already have installed on my IJ.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from i_b_flippin:

Ok,if thats the case then you should be posting the same thing on about 90% threads that are posted on pinside.
I thought this is where you come to be captain negative so u can bitch n moan about first world problems.
Seems like that's what this forum has turned into lately anyways.

Interesting you decided to attack Levi. I appreciate his honest opinion even if sometimes I don't agree with him.

#15 7 years ago

In my opinion, Color DMD is just way too expensive for what it is, particularily once you pay to get it to Canada, etc. The bill of materials can't be more than $130 can it? I get that it takes a lot of effort to create the colorizations but you'd think the cost would drop once the initial R&D was recovered on the hw and system design.

I won't be buying one at these prices anytime soon, could pick up a nice early Solid State game for that kind of $...

#16 7 years ago

You need the extra standoffs to elevate the display over the center row of bolts on the newer Stern speaker panel. Plus, if MET has a red plastic panel, you will need the clear plastic panel they sell as well.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The bill of materials can't be more than $130 can it? I get that it takes a lot of effort to create the colorizations but you'd think the cost would drop once the initial R&D was recovered on the hw and system design.

When I price my mods I don't base the price on the BOM. If you want to go out and source your own translite material or whatever feel free. There's a lot more to things than the cost of materials.

It's a ton of work, for a niche market. Obviously you don't have to buy it, but I really don't think people realize how much work it is. I happen to be friends with the ColorDMD guys, and talk with them a lot about it, and with the headaches they put up with I'm sure they'd just walk away rather than lower prices. Time is a precious commodity. If the value isn't there then find something else to spend your time on.

Furthermore, it's not a "design once, reap the profit for the future" product. The initial R&D doesn't stop. They're constantly improving and solving new problems in order to keep colorizing games. It's not as simple as someone just sitting there with a color picker.

As for the OP, I'm guessing you have an LED Metallica with a metal speaker panel. Stern changed their hardware. What is ColorDMD supposed to do? Just eat the cost because Stern changed shit? Why? The rest of the market for games gets along just fine with the standard kit, you're the exception. So yeah, you gotta pay for it. Or don't, as you see fit. But I don't really see why you're entitled to extra hardware for free, when you're the edge case.

If it really bothers you then just skip paying them for the kit and figure out how to make your own. If your time and materials are worth less than $25 to you then boom, you came out ahead, and are a smart and savvy shopper.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

You need the extra standoffs to elevate the display over the center row of bolts on the newer Stern speaker panel. Plus, if MET has a red plastic panel, you will need the clear plastic panel they sell as well.

I got mine in without standoffs. It was tight, but I didn't know about the standoffs, and I just made it work

#19 7 years ago

Sounds like you are the cheapskate not color dmd.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When I price my mods I don't base the price on the BOM. If you want to go out and source your own translite material or whatever feel free. There's a lot more to things than the cost of materials.

Those licensing fees must be the real killer.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those licensing fees must be the real killer.

Below the belt

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Furthermore, it's not a "design once, reap the profit for the future" product. The initial R&D doesn't stop. They're constantly improving and solving new problems in order to keep colorizing games. It's not as simple as someone just sitting there with a color picker.

Example, didn't they have to update the hardware to enable the Spiderman ROM?

#23 7 years ago

When are they going to come out with color DMD s for the new Stern systems. Ghostbusters demands a color DMD.

#24 7 years ago

Just be fortunate that you can afford such nice machines. I'm stuck in the 80's w/ no dmd's and somewhat content!

#25 7 years ago

It's actually $16 for the clear plastic display panel and $8 for the hardware. My time is worth more than $16 to cut out the plastic and drill the holes. If you're already ordering something from Pinbits, order just the clear plastic from them and fab your own hardware like I did. You have to space the LCD mounting panel up 3/4" to clear the metal channel that the backglass drops into. If anyone crammed it in there without spacing it up, I'm sure it's not pretty. Is The mounting solution they provide the best? Not by a long shot, but it's what they provide. If they came up with a better solution, it would be more than $8 and people would bitch more. Now, the best mounting solution?

acdcmount_(resized).jpgacdcmount_(resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

When are they going to come out with color DMD s for the new Stern systems. Ghostbusters demands a color DMD.

I don't think they will bother while there are likely to still be code updates.

#27 7 years ago

GB Color DMD will be Color DMD's most ordered item, ever.

To the OP. Just pay the $25 and enjoy the Color DMD. It's the best mod you can do for any game and you won't even remember dropping the extra coin once you're having fun in color.

#28 7 years ago

$50 just for CA tax. I am more bothered by the fact I bought 9 and I could have had another pin....

#29 7 years ago

Have 3 Color DMDs. They are great. Worth the money.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

$50 just for CA tax. I am more bothered by the fact I bought 9 and I could have had another pin....

That does sting. I know guys with huge collections who won't go Color DMD simply because they'd want them on all their pins and the cost would be too high. Best mod ever though.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Have 3 Color DMDs. They are great. Worth the money.

Sure is !! Best mod ever

Just wish when you by a $399 Color dmd in person and hand them $400 Cash they would give me back my freaking $1,- !!

Yes, talking to you Color Dmd guys , ohhh they get me mad - LOL

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

In my opinion, Color DMD is just way too expensive for what it is, particularily once you pay to get it to Canada, etc. The bill of materials can't be more than $130 can it? I get that it takes a lot of effort to create the colorizations but you'd think the cost would drop once the initial R&D was recovered on the hw and system design.
I won't be buying one at these prices anytime soon, could pick up a nice early Solid State game for that kind of $...

Aurich said it first, R & D never stops. Randy's constantly working on the coloring software to make it easier for the colorists. He's also working to expand the ColorDMD software so that more games are supported. He just announced the possibility of support for Spike games and there's still Gottlieb and Capcom games that aren't supported. Plus there's the new LED screens that are coming up. I'd say they probably won't drop in price till every game is colorized so only a few short years.

#33 7 years ago

Any game that requires the kit should automatically add the kit to the order as a separate line item or they should at least list it on the page so it can be added at the same time. Any good web store has the ability to do this. If theirs can't then they need spend some money to upgrade their site to do it. Or just make the default version for these games have the kit and bump the price.

This is more of a customer service issue. Nothing is more frustrating than spending $400 and not being able to use what you bought without having to go back and buy a separate $25 part.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I don't think they will bother while there are likely to still be code updates.

Are they now just waiting for final code or are they still working on getting it to work with Spike system?

I have a colorDMD in my TWD already, can't wait for it to be colored!

#35 7 years ago

I feel for you. You just bought an 8k machine and a $400 cool (but non-essential) mod for it. Your obviously hard pressed for cash. That $25 would have pushed you over the edge.

Too much time on your hands.... Go and play your darn pinball!

#36 7 years ago

Let the OP vent. Jesus, not like no one else gripes around here.

#37 7 years ago

I will continue to buy Color DMD, but an extra $25 to mount it it in a game its sold for is BS. $400 is alot to begin with.

I'm sure the $25 mounting kit is just as much a bargain as the $400 price tag.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are they now just waiting for final code or are they still working on getting it to work with Spike system?
I have a colorDMD in my TWD already, can't wait for it to be colored!

If it were me developing it I would wait until I was certain there wouldn't be any more major code updates. You could be right that they want it nailed on working 100% on Spike before releasing.

I think it would be fantastic in TWD and would certainly put one in mine. Do you think TWD will get any more code updates ?
The current code is great but there are a couple of rough edges. One or two of the modes are very similar.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Do you think TWD will get any more code updates ?

I thought it was done but there are some Pinsiders who have good contacts with Stern (better than mine for sure) who say a polish is still in the works.

Quoted from stoptap:

The current code is great but there are a couple of rough edges. One or two of the modes are very similar.

Agreed. I'd like to see the cross bow intigrated a little more somehow.

#40 7 years ago

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through coloring SMVE with SmartDMD. The time and effort involved colorizing the game, trouble shooting hardware and software issues, and creating a custom mount make $400 + cost of mounting accessories seem like a bargain. At this point I would have been better off buying a color dmd version but I enjoy the challenge.

Please stop complaining about a luxury.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are they now just waiting for final code or are they still working on getting it to work with Spike system?!

Sigma support is now working with SPIKE systems. Randy posted a beta version 22 days ago that anyone can download.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-spike-is-coming

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Quoted from Aurich:

Obviously you don't have to buy it

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

People spend WAY more than that to outfit their games with tacky mod garbage. Color dmd is one of the only ones that is actually worth the money.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

but an extra $25 to mount it it in a game its sold for is BS

Whoa. Lets put a little thought into this. Most of that $25 ($24 actually) goes toward a clear window because Stern now puts red windows into the machines. So this is not just a mounting kit. The actual "mounting" part of the kit is only $8 and can easily be made with common parts already in our toolboxes. If the other 40 ColorDMD games all needed a new window then I could see including it in the cost.

The way I look at it is that the new Stern backboxes are a big improvement over the old ones even though the red window needs to go when installing ColorDMD. I will gladly pay for the extra parts for my STLE.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I am in the same boat. To me it's not worth it for something you only look at a fraction of the time. For less than $250 you can buy a PinballSP color LED display kit and either use custom color palettes or colorize stuff yourself. This is a much better solution in my opinion.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBallMagician:

Any game that requires the kit should automatically add the kit to the order as a separate line item or they should at least list it on the page so it can be added at the same time. Any good web store has the ability to do this. If theirs can't then they need spend some money to upgrade their site to do it. Or just make the default version for these games have the kit and bump the price.
This is more of a customer service issue. Nothing is more frustrating than spending $400 and not being able to use what you bought without having to go back and buy a separate $25 part.

It's the very first thing thing Listed in the product description in big bright red text....

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Hate to break this to you but there are shipping charges as well.

WHAT?!?? I'M OUT!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

Gonna spend $400 on a screen...then complain of $25. Really.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I am in the same boat. To me it's not worth it for something you only look at a fraction of the time. For less than $250 you can buy a PinballSP color LED display kit and either use custom color palettes or colorize stuff yourself. This is a much better solution in my opinion.

Many of us are very aware of your stance since you post the same opinion in most of the ColorDMD threads.

How many of these PinballSP color LED displays or even the SmartDMD have you already colorized?; Or are waiting on someone to colorize the game (s) that you have installed one of those displays in?

I am not an artist so I find the ColorDMD solutiion perfect for me. All the work to get it working, mounting solutions, and colorized is very much worth it for me as many others. The time saved can be used to spend with family or finishing up that pinball project.

Nothing beats plug and play.

#49 7 years ago

Man , pinheads can be cheap freaks. Do you know the work that has gone into these color dmd's? Your lucky there not $750! Try running a business of this caliber and you what would charge now OP?! So you buy a 7000 dollar machine and complain about another 450?, that's with shipping. We're supposed to feel sorry about you spending another $25?
If you where smart you would drain this thread before it hits page two to save face.
You know, they have the right to refuse service and cut you off.
The work and time they put into this, inventory, storing, manufacturing, programming, website, customer service, dealing with upgrades and hardware to make them work in your machines, the list is rather endless!
Ther're great guys and have families too.
Sell your machine now and find a new hobby!
The more I think about this topic the more it pisses me off. Going back to top to but in a thumbs down, I rarely do that on anyone.
Not to mention our cross border brothers who pay tones in taxes just to get these to Australia, England, NZ, Europe.
$25 bucks in hardware?
Get a life and start an apology Thread to Color DMD now!
Thank you Color DMD for all your years of hard work , and making our machines better!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Man , pinheads can be cheap freaks. Do you know the work that has gone into these color dmd's? Your lucky there not $750! Try running a business of this caliber and you would charge now OP! So you buy a 7000 dollar machine and complain about another 450, that's with shipping. We're supposed to feel sorry about you spending another $25?
If you where smart you would drain this thread before it hits page two to save face.
You know, they have the right to refuse service and cut you off.
The work and time they put into this, inventory, storing, manufacturing, programming, website, customer service, dealing with upgrades and hardware to make them work in your machines, the list is rather endless!
There great guys and have families too.
Sell your machine now and find a new hobby!
The more I think about this topic the more it pisses me off. Going back to top to but in a thumbs down, I rarely do that on anyone.
Not to mention our cross border brothers who pay tones in taxes just to get these to Australia, England, NZ, Europe.
$25 bucks in hardware?
Get a life and start an apology Thread to Color DMD now!
Thank you Color DMD for all your years of hard work , and making our machines better!

And on the other note: Hey ColorDmd, whatever you're charging, it's not enough?!?!

I'm just kidding, I know what you meant. But I also know what the OP means too.

You fork over $400 you want a complete setup. I actually think that's what he meant.

I own quite a few Colordmd setups, so I get it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-cheapen-out-on-me-color-dmd?hl=starwriter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.