Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ArkhamB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Don't buy from sj_arcades1 on Ebay, no class or integrity.

sj_arcades1 listed a Stern Avengers pinball on Ebay for sale. I bid on it, was the leading bidder at around $2950(my max bid was higher) with a little under 24 hours left in the auction. The auction was cancelled with reason being "item was lost or broken".

Now 2 days later this person relisted the same Avengers pinball machine at minimum $4200 bid.

If they weren't happy with the price they should have put a reserve amount. Even a child would know that. Unreal that someone on Ebay who has 289 sales on ebay with 100% rating doesn't know that.

Funny thing is you can't leave feedback without a sale, and there is no sale cause the guy pulled the rug out from under me.

Can't imagine if I won the auction, showed up and they wouldn't sell me the machine for the price they agreed to.

Very frustrating to be checking something for almost a week, thinking you're in the hunt for a nice newer pinball machine and have the auction cancelled on a lie.

Anyway, that's all. Don't bid on Ebay items from sj_arcades1 .They may cancel the sale on you without warning.

#2 3 years ago

Ok

#3 3 years ago

Happens all the time.

Seller forgets to set a minimum bid, someone local buys the game, a hard to find plastic breaks and now has to be acquired.

No big deal, there was no way they were going to sell you a game for $1000 under market anyway.

#4 3 years ago

If you want to TAV Pro you can get one in the $3k's without a problem. Post a WTB ad.

Also, you are in IL and he is out of NJ. Were you going to pick it up? Lastly, I would just buy from collectors and not deal with ebay. Waste of time. You can develope relationships with the sellers if you need some help with anything in the future also.

#5 3 years ago

Funny you say that, I just won an auction from him at a price he probably wasn't happy about. Maybe that set him off on cancelling the Avengers auction. I'm supposed to get the machine tomorrow, so far he has communicated well. I'll report back how it goes.

#6 3 years ago

Yeah vid...lesson learned. I was frustrated when I saw it was relisted so quick. Called ebay to complain, first guy talked to said no they can't do that, then the person he transferred to me said it would put a ding on them but that's all.
Thanks for the reply

Thanks pinny...Figured if I got it for 3k was getting a great deal and was willing to drive out there. That said probably didn't add up gas/tolls/time in my head. Usually Ebay is way overpriced, but the bid was reasonable so I threw in a bid expecting it to get run over in the last day.

#7 3 years ago

Butch...the SM machine?

#8 3 years ago

Ahh your probably better off it happen the way it did lol

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ArkhamB:

Butch...the SM machine?

No, he had a Demo Man. Advertised as HUO but you can see holes for a lockdown bar. The rest looked pretty nice though, but you have to think what else isn't as described. Guess I'll find out.

If you are really interested in the Avengers, send me a PM, I can check it out & ship it if you need.

#10 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm new to pinball but I saw something similar on the Avengers. Eye bolt to the right of the coin door.

Eh not interested in the Avengers at the new price. I think I'll wait for tax return in a month or two to get something else.

Well at least he's going to honor your bid. Do me a favor, wait till your machine is loaded up and then tell him I didn't appreciate him backing out on the auction.

Post on how it went. I hope it goes well

#11 3 years ago

I know it sucks, but you are not out anything but a few minutes of your time. Ebay is a mess to deal with.

#12 3 years ago

I have posted on ebay and forgot to put a reserve. I can understand both side of the story here, but if you were the seller, would you take a hit in price?

#13 3 years ago

If I put up the auction and it was running for 9 days with a lot of bids, I think its too late at that point. I would sell it for whatever it ended at.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from ArkhamB:

If they weren't happy with the price they should have put a reserve amount. Even a child would know that.

The same child would know you cant set a reserve on ebay for the pinball machines section.

Dont sell to buyer ArkhamB on ebay either... he doesnt understand that when a business uses ebay it is advertising not a garage sale

#15 3 years ago

An auction is a gamble on EBay. Everyone thinks EBay is the gold rush, but sometimes stuff slips through at reasonable prices (Sometimes!).

Best way is to put a Buy it now w/best offer. The buy it now should be what you want for the machine plus 13% (Ebay & PP fees). That way if someone sticks to Ebay (their choice) you aren't paying the fees, they are.

#16 3 years ago

At least you didn't win the auction and then later contacted that it was no longer available.

#17 3 years ago

Man come on. You people really think some fool on Ebay is just going to take a huge loss and think "Oh well, my loss" My first guess in a situation like this on a more expensive item is that the seller forgot the reserve price in the listing. Easy concept for most.

#18 3 years ago

everyone waits until the last 20 seconds to seriously bid anyway. He may have gotten his price regardless of cancellation... I doubt you would have ended up the winner at $2,950 given there were 24 hours to go.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

The same child would know you cant set a reserve on ebay for the pinball machines section.

Is this a recent change? I don't bid for games on EBay anymore but I used to and there were many games listed with reserves set.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

Dont sell to buyer ArkhamB on ebay either... he doesnt understand that when a business uses ebay it is advertising not a garage sale

Lol Doug No didn't know that.

Quoted from thearcadegeek:

everyone waits until the last 20 seconds to seriously bid anyway. He may have gotten his price regardless of cancellation... I doubt you would have ended up the winner at $2,950 given there were 24 hours to go.

DGA, thats what I thought was gonna happen, at least last couple of hours. I had a bid in on X Files a couple of months ago, local seller, great price, then someone snatched it up in last few minutes. For a still decent price. Do they still have those programs that submit last second bids, or is it manual now?

#21 3 years ago

WELCOME TO EBAY MY FRIEND

DEAL WITH IT

IF YOU DONT LIKE ALL THE "GAMES" BEING PLAYED ON EBAY AND NOT REALLY KNOWING WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH I SUGGEST WALK AWAY SLOWLY AND DONT LOOK BACK

I use to get real frustrated with all sorts of "goings on" on ebay. Now, sure I will look, poke around, communicate, comp (yeah comp - just saw a Wipeout in my area go for $935.... that to me is an interesting comp) - watched with curiosity what it would go for. FYI - my guess is it had issues of some sorts due to the vagueness of the writeup.

Maybe shoot the seller of the game you were bidding on, that has since relisted it and offer what you want to pay for it. I AM SURE if you guys could find happy ground that guy would cancel the auction and say its "lost or stolen" to ebay and sell it to you. Or what I would do... bag that guy and his game and move on out of sheer principle alone. I am sure Avengers is available or will pop up all over if you look and buy from a "friendly".

as Yoda once told me: "with eBay, a grain of salt, you must take"

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

as Yoda once told me: "with eBay, a grain of salt, you must take"

You know Yoda? Whoa.....

#23 3 years ago

I agree with the OP. It's chickenshit to list on Ebay and refuse to honor the highest bid--that's what an auction is--that's the risk you take to sell via auction. The person listing can set the opening bid. If they set it for less money than they would sell it for then they are risking selling it for less money. Doing what this person did also cheats Ebay out of their fees. It lacks integrity all around. I would definitely beware of this seller--by their actions they are a cheater and a liar.
For those who justify this action of the Seller, are you equally okay with a buyer winning a bid and backing out of the deal because he bid over market value?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Is this a recent change? I don't bid for games on EBay anymore but I used to and there were many games listed with reserves set.

its maybe a couple years ..not sure exactly? but i know it cant be done ( i sell reco second hand games on ebay here). The best we can do to 'play fair' is to use 'buy it now or best offer'. but then you get auctions with 50 watchers and no bids.. so you auction it and it goes higher than buy it now. everyone loves a chance for a bargain.. but you have to realize businesses are advertising not auctioning..

#25 3 years ago

We all agree that eBay sucks, you know exactly what your getting yourself into there.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

We all agree that eBay sucks, you know exactly what your getting yourself into there.

I don't agree that eBay sucks. It's actually how I make my living, selling golf equipment. That way I can buy more pinball machines.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I don't agree that eBay sucks. It's actually how I make my living, selling golf equipment. That way I can buy more pinball machines.

I don't think it sucks either but then again I don't buy big ticket items either but you sure can find some cool stuff that you didn't know you needed.

#28 3 years ago

I believe that eBay has a rule now where if you end an auction early that would have successfully ended on its on (had bids already), then the seller has to pay the eBay fees on the price the item was at when the auction was ended. That will be a rude awakening when he gets his monthly statement.

#29 3 years ago

Just a follow up. The guy was very pleasant to deal with. I personally would chalk it up to his inexperience with eBay. He did say that his friend was supposed to buy the Avengers but hasn't given him any money yet. Said thats why it's still up for sale.
I got the impression that he was Involved with the hobby but somewhat inexperienced with machine conditions at the very least. When I pointed out the lock down bar drill holes when he was trying to tell me that he bought it as a home use only machine. Take it for what its worth but I don't think there was anything malicious on his part.

#30 3 years ago

Buying pins on eBay. Your fault. You're doing it wrong.

It would be easier to buy a pin from your ex-wife's new husband.

#31 3 years ago

Lol Snyper

Les...I read that rule somewhere to. Hopefully he has to pay them.

Thanks Butch...I can believe there was nothing malicious, but it's still not fair that a seller can do that. I'm not still steaming about it, that's life

It is nice to be able to come on here to vent about a wrong. Good to hear all the responses too, pro and con

Great forum here at Pinside!!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from ArkhamB:

Lol Snyper
Les...I read that rule somewhere to. Hopefully he has to pay them.
Thanks Butch...I can believe there was nothing malicious, but it's still not fair that a seller can do that. I'm not still steaming about it, that's life
It is nice to be able to come on here to vent about a wrong. Good to hear all the responses too, pro and con
Great forum here at Pinside!!

Are you only interested in a pro? I see your local and I may be willing to give up a avle.

#33 3 years ago

Yeah just Pro...don't have that much $ to spend. Even at that I'm not actively looking for an Avengers, I like the theme and thought I would bid on it if the price stayed under the normal range.
Thanks for asking.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside