(Topic ID: 200044)

Don't Announce Drains or Ignores

By o-din

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I just noticed a poster on this website got moderated for announcing he had put somebody on ignore, and I think this is long overdue.

For the longest time it seemed like there were a small group of posters that liked to continually brag about who they had on ignore or who they thought were trolls. Not once, but over and over again like they were better than those people or something. In reality it only showed who the really were.

I'm glad pinside has finally taken a stand against these troll hunters and in the end it will make it a better place.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

*Adds o-din to my ignore list*

#3 6 years ago

I ignore everyone. Don't feel bad, pinside is not a safe space!

#4 6 years ago

In regards to people that bragged about who they had on ignore, I always found it fun quoting them and them not having a clue what was said or how to respond.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I just noticed a poster on this website got moderated for announcing he had put somebody on ignore, and I think this is long overdue.
    I'm glad pinside has finally taken a stand against these troll hunters and in the end it will make it a better place.

This has been going on for quite some time; but yes it's completely needed.

Now if they can insta boot anyone that uses *shrugs* we'd really be making some traction.

#6 6 years ago

What would be a good feature would be to let each poster know who's ignoring him and then we could have some real fun.

#7 6 years ago

Damn, I took your post totally opposite, ha!

Oh well, I ignored that dude. Hes been stalking me in multiple threads. It was time. I wasnt even blatant about it! Blurg!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Oh well, I ignored that dude. Hes been stalking me in multiple threads.

Yup he gets like that...we've all done our time.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Damn, I took your post totally opposite, ha!

Thanks for the thumbs up on that post anyway.

#10 6 years ago

First off, I'd like to announce that I'm responding to this thread in the form of an announcement, actually two.

I have to be honest. I'd like to see more announcements about people's intentions. What pinside needs is to be more like facebook so I can know when they are eating a sandwich or at a baseball game. Maybe integrate Alexa and give us announcements as people move room to room. This way I can plan my responses for bathroom breaks or when they take the trash out.

Now I'm announcing that I will be reading other posts. Thank you.

#11 6 years ago

They should change the name from Pinside to Pin-High. Feels like high school some days!

#12 6 years ago

Moderator note:

All kidding aside, if you see someone announcing they have someone else on ignore or announcing they are draining a thread, send us an abuse report to link us to the post so we see it and act accordingly. If we aren't told about it, we may never see it.

#13 6 years ago

Seriously, its probably a good thing. The intention is to call out 'as an authority' that the 'new trend' is to 'ignore' some individual. In almost all of those cases its two people driving an off topic or tangential conversation which isn't productive.

It's almost comical when it does happen, because if they just wanted the ignored user to know, they could just tell them directly. But its really there to broadcast and get additional support, and that's not really healthy for anyone.

Ultimately pinside would be much better if everyone applied one simple rule. Never comment about a specific person, or more commonly, someone's opinion. Sadly this almost never happens.

I try, sometimes I fail.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

if you see someone announcing they have someone else on ignore or announcing they are draining a thread, send us an abuse report to link us to the post so we see it and act accordingly. If we aren't told about it, we may never see it.

Would the same thing apply if a poster stated "I'm adding this guy to my bozo list"?

#15 6 years ago

Lame thread — drained.

(But I might be back later to talk more about how I drained this thread)

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Moderator note:
    All kidding aside, if you see someone announcing they have someone else on ignore or announcing they are draining a thread, send us an abuse report to link us to the post so we see it and act accordingly. If we aren't told about it, we may never see it.

Just curious, I can see why ignores would be annoying, buy why also drains? I'd think that's a way for someone to say they are done with a topic and moving on and by definition would be just once per thread.

#17 6 years ago

Agree it would interesting to see the which people are ignoring which. Hint - if you suspect someone has you on ignore and you'd like to confirm, try sending them a pm. You'll receive a Pinside alert stating the message can't be sent because user has you on ignore.

ps - my wife has me on permanent ignore.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just curious, I can see why ignores would be annoying, buy why also drains?

Most of "drain announcements" we saw were in the line "well, I'am done with this band of idiots" which, as you can imagine, often trigger negative responses... No need for that.

Quoted from o-din:

It's been in place for some time now, but you rarely see posts with this moderation reason indicated, as we often delete them as well.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

ps - my wife has me on permanent ignore.

Maybe she is creeped out knowing that you are officially "following" over 20,000 other Pinsiders?

#20 6 years ago

I love when people announce they drained a thread or put me on ignore. It gives me license to talk shit about them without fear of reprisal.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Maybe she is creeped out knowing that you are officially "following" over 20,000 other Pinsiders?

We on the mod team thought it was a bug...we checked; nope, he really is following that many people!

#22 6 years ago

He's my only follower, lol.

10 months later
    #24 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

they have someone else on ignore or announcing they are draining a thread

Yeah, I sincerely don't get the consideration here -- I'm wondering how Pinside or its members are harmed if someone declares they are draining a thread, or someone is put on ignore.

Can I ask a moderator to please give context, (or just link us to the updated forum rules.)

thanks!
    -mof

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Yeah, I sincerely don't get the consideration here -- I'm wondering how Pinside or its members are harmed if someone declares they are draining a thread, or someone is put on ignore.
    Can I ask a moderator to please give context, (or just link us to the updated forum rules.)
    thanks!
    -mof

Often times, it's used in a petulant manner, like slamming a door. It doesn't really contribute a whole lot to a conversation, and is used more like a weapon to gain attention and to stir up trouble than anything else.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

stir up trouble

Ok, I suppose I can see how saying, "Ok y'all, now I'm ignoring user xyz", is kinda empty, and just draws attention. Bad behavior? I don't know, but a small sideways distraction to a topic.

I'm not however, seeing how declaring you're draining a thread is attention-whoring at the same level. In fact, I could see it as a helpful indicator to others that a thread is losing its value or might be worthy of a close, especially since it is a comment about a topic, not an individual.

In both cases I don't see how either act harms people or the site, thus I would think these would simply be social etiquetes requested on the site, versus a posted rule that needs regulation. If this is now a rule, I presume the rule is posted somewhere?

Shrug...

-mof

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

In both cases I don't see how either act harms people or the site

Before we enforced the rule, it certainly caused problems and derailed several threads. Now that it is in effect, those problems have been minimized.

We don't enforce rules willy nilly--that just creates more work for the moderators. Usually, there are reasons behind them, like addressing an ongoing problem.

Quoted from mof:

If this is now a rule, I presume the rule is posted somewhere?

It's been posted several times in various threads, but as such, it's one of those smaller rules that is encompassed and helps enforce a larger one, such as "don't derail threads" or "flaming, baiting, trolling or otherwise inflammatory comments" rules.

#28 5 years ago

Ok...I've read enough....

#29 5 years ago

Shrugs...

#30 5 years ago

you also need to remember that Moderators have a range of actions they can take
    they dont always hand out life bans
    i dare say most of the time posters are ejected from a single thread for a week

#31 5 years ago

You know I announced a while back that I don’t have the Thumbs up/down turned on.

Was that wrong?

Could I have some thumbs down please? Or up? Or not

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you also need to remember that Moderators have a range of actions they can take

Yep.

they dont always hand out life bans

It's very rare. Other than spammers/scammers, maybe one or two a year?

i dare say most of the time posters are ejected from a single thread for a week

Eh, a lot of times, it's a moderation warning with no eject. Thread ejects only happen when something is really over the line or if it's the same individual who keeps breaking similar rules.

#33 5 years ago

And I’m done with this band of merry men in this thread.... *slams door gently.*

#34 5 years ago

wTF I thought I drained this 11 months ago??

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

And I’m done with this band of merry men in this thread.... *slams door gently.*

This is my final post in this thread

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-announce-drains-or-ignores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.