1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 195 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by yuriijos
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

article-2740034-20FA849000000578-569_634x257 (resized).jpg
    DarkSide (resized).jpg
    generally off topic (resized).jpg

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I agree. If I find someone using Apple I tend NOT to employ them because usually they will be too closed minded to see outside the square and rarely innovative. My perception is usually that they are easily conned or fooled and so they believe they are using the best when that simply is not the case. I want people who are not blinded by "pretty looks" working for me.

Agree 100%
    Added 15 months ago: I agree with the sentiment that they think they are using "the best", I have not found that to be the case at all with Apple products. As far as hiring someone, I would not strictly use their device preference as a reason to hire/not hire. I would look at their willingness to be open to all types of technology though and not just be focused on one product/company only. I have had this current ASUS laptop I use everyday now for about 4 years with no problems at all. I put in a solid state hard drive to speed it up and it was easy to replace and reinstalling Windows 10 only took about 20 minutes total and you don't need to even enter a product key anymore as the motherboards are now permanently activated with microsofts servers on any laptop/desktop you buy. Windows 10 is fast, stable and overall really quite awesome, I use it everyday on my laptop, desktop and my kids use it on their laptop and another gaming desktop. No problems at all with it. I had a Windows phone for 2 years and it was the most stable, easy to use phone OS ever. Too bad it had a terrible app selection so I moved back to android with a Samsung S7, currently the best phone I've ever used. I can't see switching from android any time soon, the current version of android is so stable and perfect its hard to believe how far they've come in the past few years.

Added 15 months ago: I agree with the sentiment that they think they are using "the best", I have not found that to be the case at all with Apple products. As far as hiring someone, I would not strictly use their device preference as a reason to hire/not hire. I would look at their willingness to be open to all types of technology though and not just be focused on one product/company only. I have had this current ASUS laptop I use everyday now for about 4 years with no problems at all. I put in a solid state hard drive to speed it up and it was easy to replace and reinstalling Windows 10 only took about 20 minutes total and you don't need to even enter a product key anymore as the motherboards are now permanently activated with microsofts servers on any laptop/desktop you buy. Windows 10 is fast, stable and overall really quite awesome, I use it everyday on my laptop, desktop and my kids use it on their laptop and another gaming desktop. No problems at all with it. I had a Windows phone for 2 years and it was the most stable, easy to use phone OS ever. Too bad it had a terrible app selection so I moved back to android with a Samsung S7, currently the best phone I've ever used. I can't see switching from android any time soon, the current version of android is so stable and perfect its hard to believe how far they've come in the past few years.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

If I find someone using Apple I tend NOT to employ them because usually they will be too closed minded to see outside the square and rarely innovative. My perception is usually that they are easily conned or fooled and so they believe they are using the best when that simply is not the case. I want people who are not blinded by "pretty looks" working for me.

Sheesh man, not to be a dick but that's pretty harsh, offensive and insulting. I'll save my opinion of you for when I open my wallet to buy pinball parts.

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Sheesh man, not to be a dick but that's pretty harsh, offensive and insulting. I'll save my opinion of you for when I open my wallet to buy pinball parts.

The world is littered with people who are too afraid to speak their mind for fear of repercussions such as yours. If you feel that my "attitude" doesn't fit with yours that's fine. Go ahead and choose not to buy anything from me. That's what freedom of choice is all about.

But have a good think about what the attitude might be of the one you DO buy from - you know - the one who is too gutless to actually state an opinion. You might find they have even more 'radical' views than I do but they are too pissweak to actually state their position.

I state things how I find them and my post reflects what I have found over dozens of years. That may not be what you want to hear but it's what my experience has been.

My experience is most certainly NOT insulting or offensive - only a politically correct person would think that. It is MY OPINION and reflects MY experiences.

If the world has come to a point where we can't state our experiences then it's a pretty sad way forward for us all IMO.

#154 1 year ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I kinda agree there. A bit insulting, and since it was a reply to my comment, I'll take it as a bit of a personal attack.

Not that I have to defend myself but I've built every single one of his PC's since '97. Owned all sorts of phones except for an iPhone, and work in a field where I get to create things from scratch with no directions to follow.

#155 1 year ago

I can't even respectfully disagree with you homepin. Your statements were deliberately condescending. And please, spare me from your horrible conclusion that anyone who thinks your post was insulting must be politically correct. You couldn't be further from the truth. Spin it however you want, the Internet never forgets. Saying people are afraid to speak their mind for fear of repercussions when the forum rules suggest we're supposed to be nice? Sounds like you're trying to egg people on and create drama.

I'm not the one who sold out my country and soul to try and make an extra buck with Chinese garbage.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I'm not the one who sold out my country and soul to try and make an extra buck with Chinese garbage.

Hahahahaha - you simply have no idea whatsoever.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Hahahahaha - you simply have no idea whatsoever.

Hahahahaha - neither do you. Case in point - you're cheapening quality by cutting costs trying to build pinball machines and parts in China and you couldn't even get the most important and relative component of the machine right over there in that cesspool of pollution. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-pearls-feedback

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I agree. If I find someone using Apple I tend NOT to employ them because usually they will be too closed minded to see outside the square and rarely innovative. My perception is usually that they are easily conned or fooled and so they believe they are using the best when that simply is not the case. I want people who are not blinded by "pretty looks" working for me.

A too close minded comment about a stereo type of close minded people...hmmm project much?

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Hahahahaha - neither do you. Case in point - you're cheapening quality by cutting costs trying to build pinball machines and parts in China and you couldn't even get the most important and relative component of the machine right over there in that cesspool of pollution. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-pearls-feedback

You clearly don't understand the difference between a general comment or opinion and a personal attack.

Comments and opinions are welcome by most in a robust environment whilst personal attacks (such as yours) most certainly are not and in fact are prohibited under this forums rules.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

You clearly don't understand the difference between a general comment or opinion and a personal attack.
    Comments and opinions are welcome by most in a robust environment whilst personal attacks (such as yours) most certainly are not and in fact are prohibited under this forums rules.

Well you did say that you wouldn't hire someone based on the computer they prefer to use. That's an action, not an opinion. So it appears you don't understand yourself.

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Well you did say that you wouldn't hire someone based on the computer they prefer to use. That's an action, not an opinion. So it appears you don't understand yourself.

Quoted from woody24:

As a designer, I even question one's ability if they do their design work on a PC out in public.

Pot, meet Kettle.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I don't see what is offensive or insulting about Homepin's comment. Harsh, we'll maybe, but business owners use all sorts of criteria when deciding who to hire and who not to hire.

I have worked for people who refuse to hire fat people. Their reasoning is that if a person is fat, then they live an unhealthy lifestyle and therefore they are inherently lazy. Employers can choose not to hire staff based on many factors including their social circle, political leanings, smoker or non smoker etc.. One must walk a fine line between what is discriminatory and what isn't, but one must also use all the tools at their disposal. Choosing an employee based on their PC preference is not discriminatory. Just another method in the process of elimination.

I have both a high end Gaming PC and an iMac. I love them both. My iMac is on its last legs, being a late 2010 model. I have had very few issues over the years. When it dies, I will buy another and use it mainly for my photo library, iTunes and day to day stuff. Mac is completely useless for gaming. My PC is used for VR, gaming as well as my media centre. My point is that both have strengths and weaknesses.

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

My point is that both have strengths and weaknesses.

True words spoken, that should conclude this discussion. This thread has gone where no man has gone before.....well, not quite, but I like the quote.

#164 1 year ago

Buy Apple if you don't like to upgrade your hardware or tinker with settings. Oh and the Apple Store is there to help when you need a reboot. This is the majority of people and why I own the stock.

Everything else is for the DIY crowd.

With that being said I'm switching my family to Chromebooks because I'm tired.

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

hire fat people.

I won't hire people with tattoos that are visible in casual short sleeve business attire.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I won't hire people with tattoos that are visible in casual short sleeve business attire.

Precisely.

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Which is the professional, non-condescending way to describe a reason why you wouldn't hire someone without calling them names or insulting them for their choices in the process. This is the point I was trying to make about why in contrast, Homepin's comment can likely be interpreted by many as an offensive attack against a large portion of Pinsiders.

#168 1 year ago

Apple was really good when the first IPHONE AND IPAD came out.
    I had my original iphone for probably 4-5 years and man it took a beating but kept working strong

fast forward to now
    I have been a avid samsung user for the past 6-8 years and like the freedom. after buying multiple notes and the note edge a 800+ phone
    and my wifes phones I am done with samsung devices

flat out samsung phones just dont last past 2 years. Im not talking about lemons. Im talking about normal wear and the phone charger port and most recently my entire camera and processors just going bad. they are garbage and just want you to lease them so you can JUMP into a new model after a year. I am now using a friends old iphone as my daily that is probably going on 3 years plus. IF YOU HAVE gone past 2 years consider yourself lucky, I have seen enough examples to know now and there is a problem

both have their issues and I feel samsung is more freedom but apple is probably a stronger product overall.

I will continue with apple from now on or until samsung gets their stuff together

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I know, two of the largest factories around that assemble Apple stuff are within 10kms of my factory here in Shenzhen.
    The Taiwanese owned and run Foxcon also assemble a lot of things for Dell, Lenovo and many others. That's just what they do best.
    Apple design is far from "smart" or clever engineering. Those discreet vents you talk about get clogged very easily in the real world. I get to see this garbage being repaired almost weekly in the electronic markets here, I have first hand knowledge as to just how unreliable Apple stuff is.
    In any case, Apple products just are not as easy to use in the real world as practically anything else. I am talking about using computers for actual work - Apple is too restrictive and limits what you can do.
    Apple stuff "looks" pretty (to some) but that's where the perceived advantage finishes - IN THE REAL WORLD!
    Needless to say, out of more than 30 computers in the Homepin factory not a single one is Apple and they certainly will never be while I'm running the show. I want to actually get work done, not sit around "looking cool" - or is that "kewl"?
    Flame away "Apple fan bois".
    (added)
    Typed on my (made in China) X250 i7 ThinkPad running Win10 - LOL

Hopefully, your not just sitting around and running the show looking cool with your windows 10 think pad picking on Apple fans?
    - Kewel, eh?

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monte:

Hopefully, your not just sitting around and running the show looking cool with your windows 10 think pad picking on Apple fans?
    - Kewel, eh?

That Thinkpad wasn't so kewl before Windows 10 came out

#171 1 year ago

I'm typing this on my late 2008 Aluminum Unibody Macbook. I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB a couple years ago with some RAM out of an even older Macbook that was getting tossed. Swapped my malfunctioning touchpad last year with one I found in a reclamation bin at work. I'm still on my original 250GB SATA HDD. The only thing I've bought in 9 years of ownership was a new battery which I eventually discovered I didn't need after seeing the cat slowly chewing on the magsafe power adapter. I've never had a problem on it and it's gone through multiple OS updates. Hell, it still has a CD-ROM drive on it!

I have never like iTunes and prefer to stream my music. iPhotos was great until it changed to Photos. Now I find it terrible to use. Safari has always been my browser of choice.

As for my other devices I have a Samsung S5 (work) and I use a Samsung tablet. Apple is great for computers, but I'll never own an iPhone or iPad. I can buy non-Apple products that work just as well or better for less cost. Plus I don't want to be tied to App Store.

Oh, and I have no plans on buying a new Macbook. This one still has 30GB of HDD space available! Ha!

#172 1 year ago

And yet... my Dell 2004 laptop is still running strong. Never upgraded RAM. Never replaced drive. Never had a malfunctioning touch pad. Never been inside the box at all, upgrade the hardware or "tinker with the settings".
    Looks like hell from bouncing down a flight of stairs but runs great. Too slow for respectable internet connection speed anymore but works great for compiling code and programming EPROMs and CPLDs.

And we also have an operational Mac SE approaching the 30yr mark. We keep him running to control a test fixture utilizing GPIB. Still runs but has had numerous rebuilds done to keep it that way. Just replaced old SCSI drives again - them puppies are getting tough to find. Interesting to see the signatures of all the engineers on the inside of the case.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Within the past year my Note 4 constantly restarts by itself. But it's still not bad enough for me to consider getting an iPhone.

If you do change, get the LG V20.... it's the closest thing to the Note 4 since, well, the Note 4.

#174 1 year ago

You know we're not changing anyone's mind about this stuff. If you're a PC or Android guy you're most likely that because of your preferences. Same with Apple. I however want the latest and greatest regardless of who makes it, I will give it a try but if there is something off about it I will dump it and move on. I have a company issued Ipad air, It's not good enough....simple as that. My Surface comes with almost all of the things I need out of the box, PDF, Word, Excel..etc. Ipad doesn't even have a calculator built in, the free ones are are clunky, ugly and full of ads. Also why can't I change my native browser on the Ipad? See..this is the kind of stuff that puts me off. I didn't like the samsung native texting client, boom I deleted it and installed an aftermarket one instead. I also didn't like the email client...bang, gone! I wanted Firefox instead of samsung browser. Poof! Done! I don't want Apple telling me what I can do and what I can't do with my device.

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

You know we're not changing anyone's mind about this stuff. If you're a PC or Android guy you're most likely that because of your preferences.

Not necessarily true. I've always been a PC guy...hated Apple computers. But I got an iPhone because everybody said it was great. And it was...until the power jack inside the phone broke. And I had to keep rebooting my phone. But worst of all, it was the having-to-use-iTunes thing to get stuff on and off my phone that was SO freaking annoying I couldn't stand it anymore. So I switched. If they took the stupid middleman software out and proved that their phone were better than a Galaxy, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

#176 1 year ago

Why pick one? I have an android phone and an iPad. iPad pairs with my mac and the Samsung pairs with my PC. I love things about both brands.

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I wouldn't want to work for you anyway. I'd rather have a boss that is cool.

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

If they took the stupid middleman software out and proved that their phone were better than a Galaxy, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

That's the reason why a lot of us don't do Apple. I want full control over my phone. I don't want to be told by Apple how to use my own device. Android just works. It does it's job without asking you questions along the way. New phone? Boom, contacts are already there. I don't know how many times I've seen posts on Facebook from iPhone users who've said they lost their contacts from getting a new iPhone.

I've got an iPad, and it's constantly reminding me that it hasn't synced to the Cloud in a while. I don't care! Just freaking do it.

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody24:

That's the reason why a lot of us don't do Apple. I want full control over my phone. I don't want to be told by Apple how to use my own device. Android just works. It does it's job without asking you questions along the way. New phone? Boom, contacts are already there. I don't know how many times I've seen posts on Facebook from iPhone users who've said they lost their contacts from getting a new iPhone.
    I've got an iPad, and it's constantly reminding me that it hasn't synced to the Cloud in a while. I don't care! Just freaking do it.

Agreed. My wife switched from 6s to 7plus and about 10% of her contacts just disappeared.
    I am running an 18months old Lumia950xl and despite the app-gap, that thing is stable, fast, and just plain joy. I use my phone for work a lot, and the office integration is simply amazing. Now wait for apple uses to come and tell me that their MS office on their iPhone works great....exactly, most iPhone users I know who use their phone for business run Microsoft Office/Outlook on their iPhone.

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Agreed. My wife switched from 6s to 7plus and about 10% of her contacts just disappeared.
    I am running an 18months old Lumia950xl and despite the app-gap, that thing is stable, fast, and just plain joy. I use my phone for work a lot, and the office integration is simply amazing. Now wait for apple uses to come and tell me that their MS office on their iPhone works great....exactly, most iPhone users I know who use their phone for business run Microsoft Office/Outlook on their iPhone.

Also reminds me of the time the Verizon store tried to con me into paying them $15 to transfer my contacts. I was blatantly sarcastic with the guy. "You want to charge me $15 to transfer my contacts? So you hand over my new phone to me, I enter my password, I hand it back, and you tell me that it's all done, and pass it back to me?" He stumbled and said something like, just in case you have contacts on your old phone that aren't stored on your account. "Nope, not sure why I would have done that. So I'm good."

#181 1 year ago

I've been having some of my WiFi calls drop on my iPhone 7 Plus. Called up Apple and we did some troubleshooting, even though my tech support expired.

They're sending me a new iPhone 7 Plus now. I was expecting a bit of a fight, but nope! It was quick and painless. I'm impressed and happy with the products and services.

#182 1 year ago

Ok... new iPhone 6s update after two weeks.

Good: Love the fingerprint security. Uber simple and works without fail
    Bad: Lowest volume setting is too high with non-crapple ear buds.

faz

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Good: Love the fingerprint security. Uber simple and works without fail

Give it to a blood-rated family member to see if they can unlock it. My sister found out that our mom can unlock her iPhone with her own finger. Not sure how close their fingerprints are, but didn't seem very secure to me.

#184 1 year ago

I'll try.. but with my Samsung S5 it barely worked just with me

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Give it to a blood-rated family member to see if they can unlock it. My sister found out that our mom can unlock her iPhone with her own finger. Not sure how close their fingerprints are, but didn't seem very secure to me.

Wow crazy...googled can family members have similiar fingerprints and the answer is yes.

4 months later
    #186 11 months ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

10 years from a tablet? That's crazy good. When I get a decade out of technology I'll usually buy the same thing again.
    Yeah, iTunes went downhill bad. They wrecked the interface a long time ago. But overall the technology still works well. Combine iTech with Amazon Unlimited for music, and it's awesome. Just another opinion.

The iPad was released in 2010.

#187 11 months ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

If you do change, get the LG V20.... it's the closest thing to the Note 4 since, well, the Note 4.

love the V20. never was an LG man, until now.

#188 11 months ago

My current Apple annoyance is having the phone automatically play the first song (alphabetically-listed) in my library every time I plug the phone into another audio source. However, I just came across this article about a dude that created a song "A a a a a..." that is nearly 10 minutes of silence!

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/digital-life/2017/08/11/oklahoma-native-creates-good-song-quiet-relief-iphone-music-lovers

Problem solved!

#189 11 months ago

Apple devices, should go the way of bias ply tires and black and white TV. Anyone still using and apple phone or tablet is either brainwashed or uneducated.

#190 11 months ago

I went all Apple about 2 years ago. Before that, I had android and windows phones, and windows desktops, laptops, a netbook, and a surface pro 3.

I have an iPhone 6s+, a 12.9" iPad Pro, an Apple watch, a macbook pro, and an Apple TV.

Phone: Hands down, the best phone I have ever owned. I am not a huge fan of the apple software though. I use google play music, and google maps on it.

ipad pro: The best electronics device I have ever owned period. While the name pro makes people think this should be a content creation device, it really can't be beat as a consumption device. The surface pro was a decent hybrid, but was not very good as a tablet. It would have been a good laptop if it didn't throttle the processor every time you tried to use the power it had.

Apple Watch: I found it really convenient to not have to look at my phone to see what messages were coming in. I wore it for about a year, but gradually started to leave it at home. It has been about a month since I have worn it, and I probably won't go back to it.

Macbook Pro: This is a great laptop. If it could run windows with the same battery life, it would be even better. I thought about selling it recently, but I really like the audio interfaces available for it. I need windows for solidworks, and a few other programs, so this one so I will either have to get it running right in windows on this, or keep using two laptops.

Apple TV: Great device, but I lost the remote to it, and I don't want to spend $75 for a new one. The only set top box I like better than this one is the Nvidia Shield TV. I sold that when I got a PS4, but now I want another one for the other TV.

I was a complete Apple hater before 2015, and I would have to say overall that I am really happy with the devices. This is the first phone I have ever kept for 2 years. I just didn't like the other phones I have had (droids, nexus, samsung, and windows). These devices are more expensive than other choices, but I have found them to be worth the premium. The problem for apple is that they still seem like new devices to me, so I have no real need to upgrade.

#191 11 months ago

So, are you brainwashed or uneducated? I'm still trying to figure out which one I am.

#192 11 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

So, are you brainwashed or uneducated? I'm still trying to figure out which one I am.

Probably both. Is that even possible? I guess I would have to be educated in whatever I was brainwashed to think. Now I am confused.

#193 11 months ago

My 2009 Mini has now been upgraded from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, which is the newest os it will support. Should be good for another 7 years. No complaints here.

#194 11 months ago

If I was a complete loon like some of the posts in this thread I could respond with --> i tend not to hire those with android - walking around with major security issues on your personal phone and being ok with it is not the sort of person I want in my company.

Of course I'm not a complete loon but appreciate diversity.

#195 11 months ago

All Apple products here and have had no problems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 64.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Bright
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 60.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 27.50
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 229.99
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside