(Topic ID: 136638)

Donations to Pinside and the "grey heart"?

By iceman44

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lise2ai9Ee1qci8hu.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    maverick-thumbs-up-large.jpg
    0.jpg
    3954266206_4a447a5770_o.jpg
    Parachuting-No-Brain-But-Plenty-Of-Balls.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    i_can_see.jpg
    mister-rogers-factory-tour.jpg
    cry-baby-blog.jpg
    image.jpg
    Rouge_moderator.jpg
    Grey-Hearts.jpg
    1e9e66c9037f0605dbabcbd670dd3c09.400x547x1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

man, tons of actual women have posted long, detailed posts here dozens of times about why certain aspects of Pinside and/or the pinball community make them feel unwelcome. why are you ignoring them? Robin is not some uptight poindexter making arbitrary rules just because he and the mods hate fun. he's responding to complaints and comments from lots of real people who would otherwise like to be hanging out here.
    also it really has been a lot better around here over the last few months. far less drama, far more pinball discussion. kudos to Robin and the moderator team, i think you guys are doing a great job.

To play devil's advocate, because often times they don't care. There is this prevailing attitude that as a hobbyist we are supposed to be envoys spreading the word. Mind you I don't care for sexiest attitudes and find some of what gets posted a bit childish. At the same time I don't see the need to be kid friendly which is why I see their side. I don't have kids and the notion of a website dedicated to collectors of multi thousand dollar machines excludes kids by nature.

That side being that by forcing people to act within a certain context as not to offend a specific group removes some of their enjoyment of it. They didn't ask to have this expectation placed on them. Parts of the community is trying to do that. Now, this is at the end of the day Robin's sandbox and he does as he likes. However there is an interesting side effect.

This goes for pinside and the hobby in general. What I have noticed is that the notion of everyone needs to get a long and be nice ends up having the opposite effect. Online not so much, you only have a few online communities and this is the largest. In person though? It certainly ends up pushing many collectors away and prevents local communities from ever really forming. Something to think about next time you run across a group of collectors and the subject of including women / children / non collectors.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/donations-to-pinside-and-the-grey-heart?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.