(Topic ID: 136638)

Donations to Pinside and the "grey heart"?

By iceman44

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lise2ai9Ee1qci8hu.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    maverick-thumbs-up-large.jpg
    0.jpg
    3954266206_4a447a5770_o.jpg
    Parachuting-No-Brain-But-Plenty-Of-Balls.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    i_can_see.jpg
    mister-rogers-factory-tour.jpg
    cry-baby-blog.jpg
    image.jpg
    Rouge_moderator.jpg
    Grey-Hearts.jpg
    1e9e66c9037f0605dbabcbd670dd3c09.400x547x1.jpg
    There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 8 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I got kicked off for a week for "Not believing in the Easter Bunny" in a OT discussion.

Do not mess with the bunny, sir. He is extraordinarily well-connected.

The irony of all this is that the pinball world doesn't move that quickly. You're inevitably going to get off-topic posts or conversations that go far afield. I would argue that is part of the site's secret sauce. I learn a lot just by reading/listening to what my fellow inmates are talking about. That said, we can't afford to run off women and children from the hobby. Pinball needs critical mass to stay viable. Pretty soon we'll be sitting around arguing about which denture cream is best and stinking up the place. We need new blood. Who else is gonna move our machines? Ever think of that?

#152 8 years ago

As a die hard capitalist I would encourage Robin to begin accepting advertising on Pinside. This is a great site and he has earned that right.

Those who disagree can go to my web site. For only $19.95 a month you can purchase "Pinside Ad Blocker".

http://bit.ly/4kb77v

#153 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

PMs are absolutely private. That is why they are called 'private messages.' Nobody has access to PMs except Robin, and he does not check them unless it is an emergency situation or someone gives him permission, like in a harassment case. He has also asked people not to post screenshots of PMs as well. I am sure he can clarify more on that, but I have been a mod for over 2 years and have never ever been able to see anyone's PMs except my own. Where is this thread/post in question?

....upgrade your mod badge to gold.

I'll see if I can find the thread for you. Check with Robin about it.

#154 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

PMs are absolutely private. That is why they are called 'private messages.'

Actually, PM stands for "pinside mail"! Fun fact that nobody ever notices, including me, until Robin pointed it out one time.

#155 8 years ago

I just read an eject for someone calling a prominent pinball maker an off key name, but something that could be said over the radio. The reason was basically name calling a pinside member. Maybe that rule shouldn't apply to vendors or manufacturers.

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I just read an eject for someone calling a prominent pinball maker an off key name, but something that could be said over the radio. The reason was basically name calling a pinside member. Maybe that rule shouldn't apply to vendors or manufacturers.

You obtuse pinsider!

...well, I'll see you guys after my thread ejection kicks in.

White bread, conservatives, big black scary guns, Michael Caine....

I might be banned after that last tirade.

#157 8 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Seriously?
    I got kicked off for a week for "Not believing in the Easter Bunny" in a OT discussion.
    I'm still scratching my head on that shit.

Easter bunny is real! I find crap all over my house and the kids swear it was the friggin bunny.

#158 8 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

ummmm.....by any chance, was it "Classless boob?"

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

ummmm.....by any chance, was it "Classless boob?"

#160 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Actually, PM stands for "pinside mail"! Fun fact that nobody ever notices, including me, until Robin pointed it out one time.

Fun fact... Robin never pointed it out to me, and therefore I declare it Private Message.

I'm going to see if I can get him to post here just to clarify things, but I think it is like 4 AM in Robinland so we'll have to wait until he's awake and I can catch him long enough. I'm just going to tell you that there's no way that I can access anyone's PMs and never have been able to.

If the other mods can, that is certainly news to me and I will file a discrimination lawsuit.

#161 8 years ago

Fun fact.. If you look at your "My Pinside", it has "Pinside Mail" and below "Private Messages", so in this case everyone's right!!!!

#162 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My suggestion is to go with ads and donations over $N allow for the ads to be disabled in he user control panel.

This is a really great idea that kinda got glossed over, seriously should be considered.

#163 8 years ago

Is Pinside having money problems? Are the donations not enough to cover running costs? I'm curious why the need/call for ads.

#164 8 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

Is Pinside having money problems? Are the donations not enough to cover running costs? I'm curious why the need/call for ads.

From Robin's post in this thread:

Quoted from robin:

As for donations. I'm beginning to think that the concept of a voluntary contribution may have reached the end of its lifespan and I should probably switch over to a more mature model to fund the site operations. But until I've come up with a fair way to do so (and I can assure you that I have every intention to keep Pinside in it's current form free for all), the donations are pretty much what keeps this site running so thanks to all who help out with that.

#165 8 years ago

Thx Skins but I read that. Just not sure why it was brought up or needs changed.

#166 8 years ago

No problem. I'm assuming it was mentioned because this thread was started about why more long time members have gray hearts and don't contribute more. Robin has stated pinside is his fulltime job so I believe those to issues led to him posting about getting a new payment model.

#167 8 years ago

lol makes sense. Don't know why I couldn't connect the dots. Thx again.

#168 8 years ago

Sometimes i feel some people get weird,and they are,but,you have to look past these bad examples!!! As a older pinhead,the advice and council i get is very worth the 10 bucks i give every month!And to be able to view all the related pinball stuff in one place is heaven for me! Its simple...if your not happy,move on,don't bother us!!!Peace, ;

#169 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Well, I'm going to just say that if that behavior continues I'm going to cut back on my Pinside support. That was the thread I was kicked out of. I still have no explanation. I and I thought it was heavy handed and unfriendly to discussion.
    What exactly was the point? Where is the Hobbit news that was being drowned out? Until the 29th there wasn't going to be a damn thing, just like there hasn't been for months.
    Someone tell me what I did to get kicked out of that thread please. Because I want to know this new standard that's apparently not a rogue mod and is the official policy of Pinside. I thought it was the former and was easier with it, but now I'm feeling the opposite.

Your little innuendo was not family friendly - there's enough of that junk all over the Internet. I'm not trying to start something here but aren't you kinda biting the hand that feeds you? Your obviously one of the big fish here and publicly threatening to pull support when your feelings are hurt when you were out of line is not cool.

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

My view of Pinside FWIW
    I live on forums. Whenever I get interested in a subject, I go deep. Might be my new Audi or it might be the Mini Cooper before or my love of Analogue music. No matter. A forum is an outstanding place to learn and share. I can't even begin to communicate how much I have learned on Pinside. I really can't put a price on it because without it, almost ALL of the repairs that I can now do (with confidence) would be done by a hired hand - that would be insanely expensive with 11 machines.
    I'm not on Pinside to "stir the pot". If I disagree with an opinion, I simply ignore it. What's the value of a public argument with a complete stranger? It's really hard for me to worry about a mod booting me from a thread when I can't think of a reason to cause it. Even if it happened I'm not sure it would "bother" me. What WOULD be catastrophic is to lose access to Pinside - it means that much to me and my hobby.
    I'm blown away by the quality of Pinside. The forum design, effectiveness, user friendliness, PM mail system, game ratings, ability to favorite, search function, and on and on - as someone ahead of me said, and I personally think the same … "I have NEVER used a forum as well designed as Pinside"
    Robin - a huge thanks from the bottom of my heart for your labor of love. It IS APPRECIATED more than you know and likely will ever hear from folks like me in the "silent majority".

Well said.

#171 8 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Your little innuendo was not family friendly - there's enough of that junk all over the Internet. I'm not trying to start something here but aren't you kinda biting the hand that feeds you? Your obviously one of the big fish here and publicly threatening to pull support when your feelings are hurt when you were out of line is not cool.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not worried about it. I've spoken with Robin. I know who the mod was. I'm sure it will be settled, it's a bad policy to kick people out of threads with no warning or explanation. But if it turns into something that's not fixed then I have issues with it, not the kind of community I feel like spending my time in. There's no "hand that feeds me", this is a hobby, that I do because I enjoy it. If I'm not enjoying it, then I'll leave. I don't have any special status here. I'm just another dude posting his thoughts.

I doubt very much it will come to that.

Communities are balancing acts. This is very much Robin's sandbox that we're playing in. But it's not the sand (however nice) that's the attraction, it's all the other playmates. I have no problem with making this a friendly place for everyone to play in. I'm not sure that I'm particularly on board with that Batman comic being an actual problem, but that's not really my issue. It's the way it was responded to.

There's a vast gulf between setting community standards (no more boob pics) and mods acting like topic cops, demanding that people in a long running thread with no new information somehow stay strictly on topic or they're be booted out without warning. I'm down with the former, not the latter.

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
    Heck, when I disagree with my own opinion I just ignore it.
    The PC police need to back off and not run and tattle on every little "rule breaker". Sometimes its like 3rd grade children.
    I've never sent one PM to a mod whining about what he said or she said. Apparently it happens all the time.
    If you are offended by anything that has ever been posted on this site then let me point you to the real world. What do you think our kids are being exposed to when they are tapping on their phones 24/7? Gimme a break.
    Odin is gone for now, we almost lost my favorite little buddy Flanker, because we are too PC and can't get over ourselves. If you don't like something or somebody just simply ignore it. I can't stand the PC crying and whining about it.

I get what you're saying. But let's say you were having a conversation in the real world and someone spoke up and said: "Hey, that makes me a little uncomfortable - can we change the subject?" Can you honestly tell me that your response would be: "Quit being so sensitive and just deal with it?"

No one gets to tell other people how they *should* feel or react to certain comments. They feel how they feel. And really there isn't much difference between you feeling threatened by "PC police" and others feeling threatened by posts that marginalize particular groups of people.

#174 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

demanding that people in a long running thread with no new information somehow stay strictly on topic or they're be booted out without warning. I'm down with the former, not the latter.

I believe you captured the essence of most people's discontent with the recent mod interactions.

#175 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I get what you're saying. But let's say you were having a conversation in the real world and someone spoke up and said: "Hey, that makes me a little uncomfortable - can we change the subject?" Can you honestly tell me that your response would be: "Quit being so sensitive and just deal with it?"
    No one gets to tell other people how they *should* feel or react to certain comments. They feel how they feel. And really there isn't much difference between you feeling threatened by "PC police" and others feeling threatened by posts that marginalize particular groups of people.

I don't tell other people how to feel or think. I know I can't change people and don't care to.

The difference is I don't run to mommy and tattle because somebody doesn't agree with me.

It's real easy just to ignore people you don't like or things you find disagreeable.

I like the fact that we have a melting pot of people here with differing views and opinions.

100% I would tell somebody to "quit being so sensitive and deal with it".

Especially my kids and sports they play, every day

#176 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

No problem. I'm assuming it was mentioned because this thread was started about why more long time members have gray hearts and don't contribute more. Robin has stated pinside is his fulltime job so I believe those to issues led to him posting about getting a new payment model.

Some of those long time members are massive time contributors with their tech knowledge. It can be said many, if not most, New members arrive due to those postings and answers.

#177 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Fun fact... Robin never pointed it out to me, and therefore I declare it Private Message.
    I'm going to see if I can get him to post here just to clarify things, but I think it is like 4 AM in Robinland so we'll have to wait until he's awake and I can catch him long enough. I'm just going to tell you that there's no way that I can access anyone's PMs and never have been able to.
    If the other mods can, that is certainly news to me and I will file a discrimination lawsuit.

We don't read your PMs. Robin doesn't read your PMs. He's not Facebook, and frankly...none of you are interesting enough for me to care what you write in PMs. (Kidding....in all honesty, none of us have the power, nor do we want it).

The confusion appears to be in relation to an incident a long, long time ago.

Story time!

A long time ago, we had a mod that kind of went...."off the rails." He sent some threatening PMs to another user, and basically had a meltdown. The threatened user forwarded those PMs to Robin, to make him aware of the situation. Robin acted.

The mod (still in the middle of a meltdown) started a thread talking about how Robin reads all the PMs...because I mean....how else would anyone know that he was threatening other users??

(Spoiler alert....it's not because Robin was digging through PMs).

So, PMs are private. However, if you want to threaten or harass another user via PM...understand that those PMs could be forwarded to Robin or another Mod. (And that's the only way we ever get to read your PMs).

I'm kind of bummed that because of that incident, history has been rewritten to say that we read your PMs. We don't have those capabilities, and we don't want them.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Pete

#178 8 years ago

Well, I don't have a dog in the fight, but maybe if the mods could come to a three moderator consensus before making a ban or reprimand, it might dampen the process.

#179 8 years ago

I never put 2 and 2 together , how do you donate to PINSIDE???????? I just spent 2 minutes looking at the pages for this website and I see no spot for donations, If I look for 2 minutes and can't find a "link" then it must be free. I just went to IPDB and in under 30 seconds I found out how to support that site, which I do nearly every year or sometimes a reminder in a pinside or RGP post. put a spot up top next to "FORUMS" for donation info. Don't bitch that you can't do it for free"I UNDERSTAND" and then not make it easier to donate.

OK I looked under COMMUNITY and found it and donated, if you need the donation to remain open I would make another LARGE TAB up top for DONATIONS. Some of the cheapest people I have ever meet own pinball machines. They rarely want to pay for anything, your stuff is always overpriced, meanwhile their LW3 with LED"S is worth $3500

IMO.

#181 8 years ago

I have a few items for sale in the market with special Pinside pricing and I will donate $100 to Pinside for each one that sells here.

#182 8 years ago

It took me a long time to find a way to donate too. Only after I discovered it did I find a teeny tiny "donate" link at the bottom of the page, I guess i've just never scrolled down that far.

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

We don't read your PMs. Robin doesn't read your PMs. He's not Facebook, and frankly...none of you are interesting enough for me to care what you write in PMs. (Kidding....in all honesty, none of us have the power, nor do we want it).
    The confusion appears to be in relation to an incident a long, long time ago.
    Story time!
    A long time ago, we had a mod that kind of went...."off the rails." He sent some threatening PMs to another user, and basically had a meltdown. The threatened user forwarded those PMs to Robin, to make him aware of the situation. Robin acted.
    The mod (still in the middle of a meltdown) started a thread talking about how Robin reads all the PMs...because I mean....how else would anyone know that he was threatening other users??
    (Spoiler alert....it's not because Robin was digging through PMs).
    So, PMs are private. However, if you want to threaten or harass another user via PM...understand that those PMs could be forwarded to Robin or another Mod. (And that's the only way we ever get to read your PMs).
    I'm kind of bummed that because of that incident, history has been rewritten to say that we read your PMs. We don't have those capabilities, and we don't want them.
    Hopefully this clears things up.
    Pete

Don't you have a party to tend to right about now?

#184 8 years ago

Hey Teekee this might be a good time to post "SEND MONEY NOW!!!!"

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Hey Teekee this might be a good time to post "SEND MONEY NOW!!!!"

Sorry I'm late… ahem… SEND MONEY NOW!!!!

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

I don't think Aurich's comic reference was even close to being too much. I don't mind the site being somewhat family friendly, but Modern Family has more innuendo that that comic and it is prime time TV.

We may not be able to have pics of top 50 pins or quote the call outs if this keeps up.

I think the mod got it wrong. And I think that if you sterilize this site too much it becomes less fun.

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

I don't think Aurich's comic reference was even close to being too much. I don't mind the site being somewhat family friendly, but Modern Family has more innuendo that that comic and it is prime time TV.
    We may not be able to have pics of top 50 pins or quote the call outs if this keeps up.
    I think the mod got it wrong. And I think that if you sterilize this site too much it becomes less fun.

We should remove Metallica from all rankings...."Nice fucking shot!" - I just offended myself again....

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

We should remove Metallica from all rankings...."Nice fucking shot!" - I just offended myself again....

As a purist I would never buy a game with obscenities in it.

#189 8 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I don't miss the boobs, There are far better websites that show them.

That's a great point to make. There are better places for that, so why complicate pinside with them? Why make things unnecessarily complicated here?

I've said this in another thread, but if you are able to attend a pinball show seminar and sit in the audience and refrain from verbally harassing the speaker and refrain from passing out boob pics to others in the audience, then you already know how to act in public. I know everybody here already knows how to behave well. It's just a matter of willingness. If anyone is threatening to leave pinside because they don't like either their "adult" behavior or their "childish" behavior to be curtailed, then, well, maybe that person really should part ways with pinside. But come back later with their civil self.

#190 8 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

but if you are able to attend a pinball show seminar and sit in the audience and refrain from verbally harassing the speaker and refrain from passing out boob pics to others in the audience, then you already know how to act in public.

Damn, I'm out !

#191 8 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

I've said this in another thread, but if you are able to attend a pinball show seminar and sit in the audience and refrain from verbally harassing the speaker and refrain from passing out boob pics to others in the audience, then you already know how to act in public.

This is true. But the other truth is that while everyone is sitting there waiting for the JJP presentation to start they're swapping Stern rumors. They're talking about Jpop. They're laughing to keep from crying over Predator.

Pinheads are gossipy as a motherf***er. It's what we do. We talk and talk and talk at shows, sometimes hardly even playing the games. It's half the fun of going to the events, swapping all the rumors and stories.

So sure, don't get into fights, and don't pass out porn at shows. (Though Dutch Pinball knows a little something about injecting boobs into shows.) That's fine. I don't have a problem with that.

But when you try and suppress people's natural desire to just *talk pinball* it enters into frustration land. We're not running a newspaper here. It's really okay if the Hobbit thread wanders. WTF else is there to talk about? JJP threw a big event and didn't let slip a single update about Hobbit. Nothing. Not even a hint. Only had one machine there to play. It's not like chatting about Stern going LCD or Full Throttle shipping is derailing people trying to talk about all the exciting new news.

Let people talk. Keep the moderation to when people get nasty, not when they're enjoying each other's company and killing time waiting for the next juicy tidbit to obsess over.

#192 8 years ago

Why have separate threads if off topic banter is allowed to run wild in them? The last thing I want to see in a Heighway thread is stuff about other manufacturers and pictures that have nothing to do with the company or pinball for that matter.

#193 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Why have separate threads if off topic banter is allowed to run wild in them? The last thing I want to see in a Heighway thread is stuff about other manufacturers and pictures that have nothing to do with the company or pinball for that matter.

The Hobbit thread is on page 161. Do you really think if there's some big new hot news that it's going to only appear there?

Threads wander. I think it's reasonable to expect them to stay on topic for a while. But after a while you gotta just relax IMHO, and start a new thread for new news. That's better for everyone, because lots of people don't want to keep checking a 160 page thread. They'd rather anything new bubbled back up to the front page.

Edit: And pinball isn't in a vacuum anyways. Full Throttle *as it was being discussed* was on topic. It's okay to compare things. It only came up as an example of how games take a long time to finish, it wasn't positioned against Hobbit in a negative way even.

#194 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

cry-baby-blog.jpgcry-baby-blog.jpg

#195 8 years ago

I think teekee wins for first ejection of this thread lol.

#196 8 years ago

Wow talk about case and point...

#197 8 years ago

If anyone relies on this site as a source of income; I sure hope they have an alternate source.

#198 8 years ago

I'm pretty much out of the hobby for various reasons. That said, I would probably no longer give Pinside my money. I won't pay someone to edit my thoughts. I never attack people personally, and when I swear it's for comedic, rhythmic or rhetorical emphasis. I'm not in grade school, I'm an adult, and I express myself with "bad" words sometimes.

*shrug*

Have fun everyone!

EDIT: After perusing the whole thread and seeing for what Aurich received an eject, my mind would easily have been made for me. That's fucking absurd.

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

It is funny you go off topic on a Grey Heart VS Red Heart thread and you have never given so you have no heart.Yet hear you are off topic bitching about people going off topic

#200 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Wow talk about case and point...

Other reason is like off topic for people who they just want to eject

There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/donations-to-pinside-and-the-grey-heart/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.