schematic-beacons.pdf (PDF preview)
beacons-03 (resized).jpg
beacons-02 (resized).jpg
beacons-01 (resized).jpg
wiring-01 (resized).jpg
newpower (resized).png
Beacon (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

After taking possession of my F-14 Tomcat, I set about repairing a few things. Removing the mylar, cleaning the playfield and fixing some lights. But My F-14 had all the Beacon parts removed.

After looking online and only finding one guy that made the originally designed parts and sold them for $315, I decided to figure out an alternative. (he was out of stock anyway)

I searched for some cheap beacon lights online but couldn't find anything on Ebay or Amazon but I did find these $10 ones at this url:

https://www.windycitynovelties.com/red-beacon-light.html

These beacons are 12vac so you cannot just hook them to your Snubber. (I didn't have the Snubber anyway)
At the bottom right of your back box is a rectifier with two blue wires going to it. (see pic)

1. Splice into these wires and run your spliced wires up to the snubber. The are 13.5vac wires.
2. run one to the Snubber and the other will connect directly to the 3 beacons.
3. run out of the snubber to the 3 beacons.

added other images to help you.

To modify the beacons, I just removed the red lens and cut ouround the base so the would sit flat on the backbox of the machine. Then removed the off/on switch and power plug.

It works pretty good! I want the light to be brighter but I can order led lights later. the socket for the light is E12
The price for this project was $30 for the beacons and an extra $20 for the snubber

Beacon (resized).pngBeacon (resized).pngbeacons-01 (resized).jpgbeacons-01 (resized).jpgbeacons-02 (resized).jpgbeacons-02 (resized).jpgbeacons-03 (resized).jpgbeacons-03 (resized).jpgnewpower (resized).pngnewpower (resized).pngrectifier-01 (resized).jpgrectifier-01 (resized).jpgschematic-beacons.pdfschematic-beacons.pdfsnubber-01 (resized).jpgsnubber-01 (resized).jpgwiring-01 (resized).jpgwiring-01 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Yes! Finally someone has done this for their F-14 Tomcat!!! Bookmarking this thread now...

#3 1 year ago

Wow, great work!

Subscribed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/don-t-pay-over-300-for-f-14-beacons-pay-3-50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.