Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

techfaqs (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

I'm going to manage a list here of redundant threads so that we can send newbs here when they start a redundant thread. Post any redundant thread ideas you can think of, and I'll add them.

Each of the thread postings below can be found via the Pinside search function.

1. Pinball market bubble bursting threads

2. Basic pinball maintenance threads (cleaning, parts replacement, upgrades like glass etc)

3. Maintenance issues for specific games that have already been discussed to death

4. Basic repair threads - (Game resetting, coil not firing, flippers not working, lights not on, flippers not strong)

5. Threads about new games when there is already a thread about the new game

6. Asking how much your pinball machine is worth - use the market search to see current prices

7. Which pinball machines are over/under rated

8. Is the top 100 accurate? - in short, NO. But it's been discussed many, many times

#2 2 years ago

Game resetting

#3 2 years ago

Can we make threads about redundant threads?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Game resetting

added

#5 2 years ago

How much is my pinball machine worth? (Go to Market Archive and do your own research)!

#6 2 years ago

Guys I don’t know if anybody has ever asked this, but which pinball machines are overrated?

And at the same time this opens up the door to an interesting discussion: which pinball machines are underrated!!

#7 2 years ago

TRON VE thread

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm going to manage a list here of redundant threads so that we can send newbs here when they start a redundant thread.

If you're trying to make a useful thread you'll need links. The point of sending people here would be to help them and some variation of 'hey noob, that's been asked already' doesn't accomplish that.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm going to manage a list here of redundant threads so that we can send newbs here when they start a redundant thread. Post any redundant thread ideas you can think of, and I'll add them.
    4. Basic repair threads - (Game resetting, coil not firing, flippers not working, lights not on, flippers not strong)
    5. Threads about new games when there is already a thread about the new game

Maybe we can include hyperlinks in your first post, and make it a sticky. Basically "New to pinball and pinball maintenance and have question" sticky thread? Having an index to some great threads could be helpful.

#10 2 years ago

Can we just start and over/under on the total number of bubble threads that'll be created on Pinside for 2022.

24 seems about right. 2 per month.

I say OVER 24.

#11 2 years ago

I do not like this idea, we seasoned pinheads keep trying to invent new ways to stop newbies getting involved
    sure, threads like you describe can be annoying, but it is not that big a deal

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you're trying to make a useful thread you'll need links. The point of sending people here would be to help them and some variation of 'hey noob, that's been asked already' doesn't accomplish that.

I think the whole point is to direct newbs to the search function.

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I do not like this idea, we seasoned pinheads keep trying to invent new ways to stop newbies getting involved
    sure, threads like you describe can be annoying, but it is not that big a deal

Stopping newbies getting involved? It's a positive thing. You just link this thread as a reply to a redundant thread. They come here and think, "oh, shucks. I guess I should read this list."

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Stopping newbies getting involved? It's a positive thing. You just link this thread as a reply to a redundant thread. They come here and think, "oh, shucks. I guess I should read this list."

they cannot use the "search " function, but they will read your list?

#14 2 years ago

they cannot use the "search " function, but they will read your list?

I'm assuming you didn't read the top of the original post?

#15 2 years ago

This sounds like a great idea on things like repairs. But, I worry about this idea on opinion issues. Part of the fun of being human is to be able to discuss topics that are important to people now. Just reading what other people said in the past is not the same as sharing our current thoughts, even if they are substantially similar to what was said in the past.
    Carried to its extreme, this thanking could eliminate most all cable TV news programming since it was all said by an earlier guest.
    No need to go on a hike that was already walked on by somebody else because they can tell us all about it?
    Anyway, just my thoughts.

#16 2 years ago

Quoted from Tranquilize:

How is, 'This has been asked, look at the list here' more helpful than 'This has been asked, search for X'?

#17 2 years ago

Hey guys, the intent is positive. If you don't like the idea, it's pretty easy to not use it. I'm sure there will be many new threads that will not apply. But when there are three threads in the same week about how crazy pinball pricing is, you might want to send the poster this link and say, hey, check out this list of commonly posted threads. Try using the search function before starting a new one.

#18 2 years ago

As long as new people are showing up to the hobby/pinside we’ll always have a stream of a redundant threads hopefully they can research first and find a destination like this first.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

As long as new people are showing up to the hobby/pinside we’ll always have a stream of a redundant threads hopefully they can research first and find a destination like this first.

I'm not sure if this will work. Great in theory. But poor in practice. Most people don't use the search feature now, or know how to search. Look how many posts you see that start out I searched but couldn't find it.

May as well help them. Because that helps everybody.

LTG : )

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from DLCPIN:

This sounds like a great idea on things like repairs. But, I worry about this idea on opinion issues. Part of the fun of being human is to be able to discuss topics that are important to people now. Just reading what other people said in the past is not the same as sharing our current thoughts, even if they are substantially similar to what was said in the past.

Bingo. Many once great message boards have simply died by stifling people’s ability to start threads because something was once said in a thread before. Let people ask their questions and get a direct modern response from whoever wants to interact with them today rather than making people read possibly pages and pages of historical posts from possibly more than a decade ago from people who may not be here any longer and can’t interact with you.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Bongo. Many once great message boards have simply died by stifling people’s ability to start threads because something was once said in a thread before. Let people ask their questions and get a direct modern response from whoever wants to interact with them today rather than making people read possibly pages and pages of historical posts from possibly more than a decade ago from people who may not be here any longer and can’t interact with you.

Okay, I see the point. Let's follow that practice and delete this thread. I can see that there is no easy solution to the age-old identical (and I mean identical) threads.

#22 2 years ago

The list idea is a good one. It would be great if it existed to pop up or be directed to when key words are typed as new member starts a new topic. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t still move forward and start one.

-Or - simply make a “Start here! new to owning or maintaining pinball machines?” A sticky front page topic with imbedded links.
    Bring the best of common topics forward for newbs.

#23 2 years ago

"this price is too good to believe, is this a legit distributor?"

"is this distributor any good?"

"why do we even need distributors?"

#24 2 years ago

the smartest way to pull this off would be a forum software upgrade
    when you try to start a new thread, the forum searches thread titles and puts up older threads with similar titles
    the poster is then asked if they want to continue to post a new thread or contribute to an older one

I have seen it done,

#25 2 years ago

the smartest way to pull this off would be a forum software upgrade
    when you try to start a new thread, the forum searches thread titles and puts up older threads with similar titles
    the poster is then asked if they want to continue to post a new thread or contribute to an older one
    I have seen it done,

That feature is in place.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Unfortunately, most people are not very good at creating descriptive thread titles.

#26 2 years ago

Would it be possible to make a section of key threads similar to the key post principle used within many of those threads? Group of the best threads for each of the above listed topics would be pretty great for new enthusiasts. Maybe sticky them at the top of each corresponding sub-forum? I’ve noticed one or two of those in the past.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Would it be possible to make a section of key threads similar to the key post principle used within many of those threads? Group of the best threads for each of the above listed topics would be pretty great for new enthusiasts. Maybe sticky them at the top of each corresponding sub-forum? I’ve noticed one or two of those in the past.

That would work really well!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That feature is in place.
    [quoted image]
    Unfortunately, most people are not very good at creating descriptive thread titles.

C'mon, now, a nice big helping of AI, seasoned with a little blockchain, and Pinside will understand their intent. I read about it in a ... thread somewhere, I don't remember where exactly...

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Would it be possible to make a section of key threads

Already exists. Use the search function noob.

techfaqs (resized).pngtechfaqs (resized).png
    #30 2 years ago

Already exists. Use the search function noob.
    [quoted image]

Ah I never noticed that. I always click on the sub-forums that are more specific (one step down from the general topic) and had never noticed those topic stickies. Thank you!

#31 2 years ago

Not a fan of the repeated, "I have 10k what should I buy?". Umm, I'm not you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/don-t-create-that-thread-redundant-pinside-thread-list?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.