(Topic ID: 235770)

Don't be a Lame Old Man on Grammy Night!

By vid1900

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aladdin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D0270A2E-C976-479F-99D8-A1EFE221C279 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
H910_Harmonizer (resized).jpg
dicks (resized).jpg
hellfest-pano (resized).jpg
large crowd (resized).jpg
tomorrowland-2018-ravejungle (resized).jpg
25310953_1432004253578951_1619212099641187218_o (resized).jpg
tllzr-music-festival-1 (resized).jpg
jethrotullAd (resized).jpg
fd037fd8e27f7a8023f22050044454c6 (resized).jpg
waynes world garth um ok (resized).jpg
5e05e75987555cbbe2904a80138c0ac1 (resized).jpg
alicia (resized).jpg
dead1 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I used to be an entertainer.
So I enjoy seeing the entertainers who are at the top of their craft.
I like seeing $15,000 guitars or even a jazz singer playing 2 grand pianos at once, barefoot.
I mean, is there anything Alicia Keys can't do???[quoted image]

You're still an entertainer. I enjoy quite a few of your threads here on Pinside. And I can appreciate great musical artist as well, but I never cared for award's shows. That'll never change for me, but to each their own.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Can you imagine if they put a real rapper in that mix last night?
Eminem learned not to poke at Machine Gun Kelly:

Battle of the white rappers! Well, Machine Gun Kelly net worth: $8 million, Eminem net worth $210 million. I think he’s laughing all the way to the bank.

I’m gonna go grab all my Beastie Boys albums and go through them again like a proper grumpy old man.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

Happy that JT won that award... They deserved it...

While I respect you opinion, I do have to point out one thing that you might or might not be aware of. Jethro Tull is not a Heavy Metal Band. Not even close. Metallica is. JT did not deserve that award because they should not even have been nominated. It would be like Metallica winning an award for Best Latin Pop album. When JT won, I am willing to bet that the majority of the people watching, were scratching their heads and thinking WTF just happened? Not saying that Metallica should have won, but the award should have gone to ANYONE other than JT. Just my opinion.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

When JT won, I am willing to bet that the majority of the people watching, were scratching their heads and thinking

Most were thinking "When are Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams going to be on? What is Hefty Mobile music?"

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Most were thinking "When are Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams going to be on? What is Hefty Mobile music?"

Haha exactly. If you handed them a Jethro Tull album, they would file it away in their stack under the Ts and wonder why you are yelling at them.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Jethro Tull is not a Heavy Metal Band. .

Was the album hard Rock like the category states?

#107 5 years ago

Kacey Musgraves deserves the album of the year award. "Golden Hour" is ridiculously good.

#108 5 years ago

I have watched the Grammys go from what it was in the Past, to what it has become. Or seems to have become.

There was a great deal of drama around the Grammys this year. The director is stepping down as a result of it.

I like to listen to the artists. Thier recordings and thier live performances.

The Grammys were never watched when I was younger by myself. But now as a music fan, I like them. It will be fun to see next years show, I look forward to it.

If it was not for the Grammys I would have not listened to Amy wine house back to black.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Machine Gun Kelly net worth: $8 million, Eminem net worth $210 million. I think he’s laughing all the way to the bank.

It was not a money battle.

It was Eminem getting completely gutted by a kid that got a manbun glued on his head in Birdbox

All the attention got him cast as Tommy Lee in the new Crue movie

I can see it

fd037fd8e27f7a8023f22050044454c6 (resized).jpgfd037fd8e27f7a8023f22050044454c6 (resized).jpg
#110 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was the album hard Rock like the category states?

Exactly.

The category 30 years ago was "Hard Rock/Heavy Metal"

So yes, the album was certainly Hard Rock:

jethrotullAd (resized).jpgjethrotullAd (resized).jpg

#111 5 years ago

JT was one of those bands that wandered around quite a bit genre-wise. But they had plenty of stuff that was good hard rock. Saw them at Oakland Colesium in the late 70s right at the time Bursting Out was very popular. They could play.

#112 5 years ago

The Alicia Keyes performances were good. If you have not seen the music. You should YouTube it.

#113 5 years ago

Alicia Keyes Or Tull. Hmmmm.

#114 5 years ago

My favorite Tull song is a cover by iron maiden. Rocks.

Cross eyed Mary.

I'll be silent now.

#115 5 years ago

I fall into the grumpy old man who hasn't bought new music in years category but I really do try to keep open-minded and on the lookout for new talent. That said, I watched Cardi B perform on SNL recently and she was terrible. The woman simply cannot sing. I did not watch the grammys but read that she garnered numerous awards. I am not surprised but rather sad about the whole affair.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It was not a money battle.
It was Eminem getting completely gutted by a kid that got a manbun glued on his head in Birdbox
All the attention got him cast as Tommy Lee in the new Crue movie
I can see it[quoted image]

When I see a pic like that, all I can think of is a calculated poser. Covered with lame tattoos and everything is done so perfectly to look so cool, right down to the cool underwear with logos to show 'cause your designer jeans are hanging low.

Way back in the day, we weren't posers. We INVENTED having your underwear hanging out of your pants. And it was the regular cheap-ass boxers from Fedco hanging out from Levis 501s worn falling off the butt. It looked stupid and ridiculous. Which was why we did it of course.

Oh yeah, we also invented wearing your baseball cap on backwards. That's not a new thing.

#117 5 years ago

Pop music (shudder)

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

When
Way back in the day, we weren't posers. We INVENTED having your underwear hanging out of your pants

Back then, we called people like you plumbers

#119 5 years ago

Grammys dropped to a new ratings low in the 18-49 demographic. I'm sure the Dolly Parton tribute didn't help drive that demo

They may as well just go all in on rap and hip hop and screw the old people. It's tough to be all things to all people.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They may as well just go all in on rap and hip hop and screw the old people. It's tough to be all things to all people.

Shit they already don't even air the rock album award on TV!

#121 5 years ago

I realize that I serve no purpose to this forum other than cringy lame duck humor...but in all seriousness, this should have been considered for a Grammy

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit they already don't even air the rock album award on TV!

There's the bitter old man we wanted !

What did you want to see?

Gretta Van Fleet won "Best Rock Album" - they refused to show up to accept their award.

You can watch if you want to, but the producers spared the rest of the world 4 minutes of nothing:

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There's the bitter old man we wanted !
What did you want to see?

I didn't give a shit, wouldn't watch it for reasons that have nothing to do with old white man anger, don't care chris cornhole is dead, was just responding to someones post.

#124 5 years ago

I listened to your links. I recently gained access to several thousand Demo CD's sent to Public Radio and the UNC system, took 20 or so home every day. No lie, found 2 songs worthwhile out of the hundreds I gave a shot, finally gave up on the rest.
These links remind me of that. Programmed, repetitive, formulaic, voice correction, too much reverb, no real instruments, sophomoric lead guitar, all been done before in better ways.
Yeah, put me in the bitter old man group, it all sucks.
The videos? Devils, makeup, demons, witches, fake blood, pentagrams, same old fecal material. Trying to be edgy? Why are you using thousand year old crap? Its over, we don't want it, we don't care, you are not cool, go get a real job and quit pretending to be a "Musician".
I am convinced the success of early groups stemmed directly from their influences growing up. Evidently nobody has and influences growing up and just copies everybody else. At least the Robot/ AI compositions are fresh.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Grammys dropped to a new ratings low in the 18-49 demographic. I'm sure the Dolly Parton tribute didn't help drive that demo

Still, the Grammys got 20 million viewers, and Walking Dead only 5 million.

In the 18-49 demographic, Grammys got 5.6 and Walking Dead 2.6 million

So Dolly or not, it was a success

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Yeah, put me in the bitter old man group, it all sucks.

Every generation can't understand the next generation's music.

In the 50's everyone's dad said Rock N Roll was jungle music

In the 60's everyone's dad said it was druggy music

In the 70s everyone's dad said it's all noise with the same beat

In the 80s everyone's dad said it's all synths and hairspray

In the 90s everyone's dad said it was all depressing angst

In the 00's everyone's dad said it was all Hip Hop

In the 10's everyone's dad said it was all sub bass or D&B

But the kids, they love their music, because it's NOT their parent's music.

25310953_1432004253578951_1619212099641187218_o (resized).jpg25310953_1432004253578951_1619212099641187218_o (resized).jpghellfest-pano (resized).jpghellfest-pano (resized).jpglarge crowd (resized).jpglarge crowd (resized).jpgtllzr-music-festival-1 (resized).jpgtllzr-music-festival-1 (resized).jpgtomorrowland-2018-ravejungle (resized).jpgtomorrowland-2018-ravejungle (resized).jpg
#127 5 years ago

Seems like I read last week Gen-x is turning to 70's- 80's music.
I can see the repetitive synth mess being good after some MDA or Meth.

#128 5 years ago

I think maybe one of the big downfalls for current music was overuse of voice processing. Maybe not, who knows.

For a long time, I was that guy. Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc. That was it, everything else was crap. But I am really expanding these days and enjoying all kinds of music. I hope to spend some time on the newer music and see if I can find some I like. For example - dubstep, some of that is really awesome stuff, love it. But some of it is kind of so-so. There is a lot of rap I like, but I lot I don't like as well. I think there are gems buried everywhere.

Right now I am mining backwards and backwards. All the way to the 20s. I just think its a riot to listen to those old blues songs, it makes you realize those guys way back then were the ones who came up with the stuff that become everything in rock, country etc. I'm not sure if anyone from the 60s onward has come up with a blues/rock single guitar lick that those guys didn't play first.

I have worked my way through the 30s, 40s and 50s. There is lots of great stuff buried in there. Heck I even am listening to some country/western music. If you were to tell that to myself 40 years ago I would have called you crazy. For example, Move it On Over, Hank Williams SR, 1947. Good lord, the guitar work in there, just awesome. In 1947! There is great music in every decade I think. But, also there can be stuff that is not so great in there. Heck even my most favoritest bands often have crap. There's some new stuff by Metallica that's...not good. And then there is "Van Hager". BLECH. But these are all opinions of one person. Others have their own taste. I think its all good, listen to what you want, and try to branch out if you get bored. Its so great you can find this music on the interwebs these days, and Vid I always like your music threads to help me expand. Keep them going!

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Does it count as "turning" when Gen X grew up with 70s 80s music?

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Gen Xers were born between 1965 - 1979 and are currently between 39-53 years old.

I feel sorry for anyone of any age turning to 80s music.

That was probably the worst era of music in the history of mankind, with synths in both pop and hair metal.

dicks (resized).jpgdicks (resized).jpg
#131 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

... with synths in both pop and hair metal.[quoted image]

Right, amazingly there's other music than Pop & Hair metal. As someone that throws a Grammy Party every year I understand that's confusing to you

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I think maybe one of the big downfalls for current music was overuse of voice processing.

Could be.

In the late 70s, all the artists like Ozzy, Pat Benatar & Boston went crazy with the Eventide.

In fact the "Ozzy sound" is pure Eventide processing.

H910_Harmonizer (resized).jpgH910_Harmonizer (resized).jpg
#133 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right, amazingly there's other music than Pop & Hair metal. As someone that throws a Grammy Party every year I understand that's confusing to you

That's true.

But if Billy asked you on the street to name 5 popular artists from the 80s in 5 seconds, it would be the worst of the worst:

Phil Collins
Whitney Houston
Lionel Richie started to totally suck (We Are The World)
Pedo Michael Jackson
Dire Straits started to totally suck (I want my MTV)
Tina Turner started to totally suck (Private Dancer, written by friggin Dire Straits)
Starship (We built this City)
Rolling Stones (Emotional Rescue)
Cindi Lauper

Ugggggg......

#MuteMichael

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's true.
But if Billy asked you on the street to name 5 popular artists from the 80s in 5 seconds, it would be the worst of the worst:
Phil Collins
Whitney Houston
Lionel Richie started to totally suck (We Are The World)
Pedo Michael Jackson
Dire Straits started to totally suck (I want my MTV)
Tina Turner started to totally suck (Private Dancer, written by friggin Dire Straits)
Starship (We built this City)
Rolling Stones (Emotional Rescue)
Cindi Lauper
Ugggggg......

Not MY 80s....

Anthrax
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Exodus
Overkill
King Diamond
Megadeth
Testament
Slayer
Mercyful Fate
etc...

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Not MY 80s....
Anthrax
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Exodus
Overkill
King Diamond
Megadeth
Slayer
Mercyful Fate
etc...

Good bands, but maybe .0000000001% of people could name 5 of those bands in 5 seconds on the spot.

Maybe .0000001% of people on the street could even name all those bands at all.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's true.

Right, but what do I care what Billy on the street thinks?

Of course The 80s had TONS of horrible horrible shit...but also a ton of great stuff. Now the 90s, uff what a complete and udder shit show.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right, but what do I care what Billy on the street thinks?

Because he will give you 100 dollars to name any 5 popular artists from the 80s, but you only get 5 seconds, and usually he's screaming.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Because he will give you 100 dollars to name any 5 popular artists from the 80s, but you only get 5 seconds, and usually he's screaming.

Like if he asked me for 5 popular bands from the 90s in 5 seconds, I'd say off the top of my head:

Nirvana
System Of a Down
Rage Against the Machine
Sound Garden
Danzig

#139 5 years ago

I think I would blurt
Cars
Duran Duran
Cure
Pet Shop Boys
Thompson Twins

But the 80s also brought a huge pile of one hit wonders which makes it harder to name a list of artists.

#140 5 years ago

Hopefully, none of us ever had to live through a Cars concert.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Hopefully, none of us ever had to live through a Cars concert.

There aren't many of those 80s bands I would want to see in concert. But I like the music. I remember the Cars played at the universty but I took a pass. I did see Devo play, that was just awesome.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gen Xers were born between 1965 - 1979 and are currently between 39-53 years old.
I feel sorry for anyone of any age turning to 80s music.
That was probably the worst era of music in the history of mankind, with synths in both pop and hair metal.[quoted image]

Sorry I was wrong, read too much garbage. The article was Under 35 turning to classical music.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

St. Vincent of course played her own signature Music Man model that she designed.
[quoted image]

You guys debate, Imma gonna watch this video again. I must admit, I didn't know who St. Vincent was prior to this thread.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#144 5 years ago

I gave St. Vincent a try, I really did. But....
D0270A2E-C976-479F-99D8-A1EFE221C279 (resized).jpegD0270A2E-C976-479F-99D8-A1EFE221C279 (resized).jpeg

#145 5 years ago

Have to agree with Law, 80's were mostly filled with iconic artists and music, sure some garbage but....

Add REO Speedwagon, Boston, Journey, Foreigner, Pat Benatar, Cars, etc. to the list

Springsteen, Prince, Madonna, Van Halen, U2, Hall & Oates, Bowie, etc.

the 90's and the birth of grunge? Forgettable

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Have to agree with Law, 80's were mostly filled with iconic artists and music, sure some garbage but....
Add REO Speedwagon, Boston, Journey, Foreigner, Pat Benatar, Cars, etc. to the list
Springsteen, Prince, Madonna, Van Halen, U2, Hall & Oates, Bowie, etc.
the 90's and the birth of grunge? Forgettable

All good although at the risk of getting pedantic about it some of these are more 70s than 80s. I keep the Boston and Foreigner stuff in my 70s folder, they were mostly before the 80s. The "good" Journey stuff was from the 70s but they certainly had huge popular hits i the 80s. Cars is one of those that started in the 70s and fell over into the 80s. REO Speedwagon was also 70s but got their big hits in the early 80s.

I was never much into REO Speedwagon over the years. I did see them play once a little bit back (playing with Devo oddly enough) and I was blown away by the level of musicianship there. As a live performance, it can only be described as incredible. Those guys have more talent in the nail clippings of their pinkie fingers than most bands of today have.

#147 5 years ago

Sometimes when you meet your idols in person, they do not live up to the image you had of them. REO Speedwagon is my experience with this phenomenon. Talented, iconic classic rock band but one band member in particular is a raging asshole. It changes the way I think when I hear an REO song come on. On the other side of this, some acts i didn't have an opinion of, i became a fan after having a cool experience with them.

I enjoyed the Grammys this year more than some but my preferred music has guitars and drums, so many of the acts were a miss for me.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

You guys debate, Imma gonna watch this video again. I must admit, I didn't know who St. Vincent was prior to this thread.

Here she is performing with Nirvana at their R&R Hall of Fame induction in 2014 -
… playing her Harmony Bobkat. (err probably prerecorded)

You can see rest of the bad ass Nirvana tribute here with Joan Jett, Lorde, and Kim Gordon (sonic youth).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y950z

#149 5 years ago

Wow, don't like Nirvana at all and thats a horrible cover.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Here she is performing with Nirvana at their R&R Hall of Fame induction in 2014 -
… playing her Harmony Bobkat. (err probably prerecorded)

You can see rest of the bad ass Nirvana tribute here with Joan Jett, Lorde, and Kim Gordon (sonic youth).
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y950z

I listened to her on Spotify this week. I can't say I'm a fan just yet, but I can see how she is very close to "getting it right" and coming out with a big hit. I think St. Vincent is more suited for small concert venues. She seems pretty smart and funny

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/don-t-be-a-lame-old-man-on-grammy-night/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.