geek_squad_(resized).jpg
DXP.jpg
iq_test.jpg
dominos.png
the-noid.jpg
dominos_tracker.jpg
doas.png

This topic is closed.

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 8 years ago

Rocking the driver hat today.

20151127_132413.jpg20151127_132413.jpg

#152 8 years ago

Nice woot shirt, I have the same one! #geek

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Nice woot shirt, I have the same one! #geek

I have way too many woot shirts. It's like 80% of my closet. They're also in Carrollton, which is ~15 miles from where I live. :p

#154 8 years ago

It must be virtual reality pinball if it's based on the pizza.

Re- theme a Street Fighter II and make the crash car a Domino's delivery car. When the driver crashes the pin goes into lawsuit mode.

If multiball lasts longer than 30 seconds you get an extra ball.

Build your own pizza mode, collect all the toppings and a ticket dispenser gives you a coupon for free breadsticks.

#155 8 years ago

There's some more info on this machine in the new Spooky podcast. Most importantly... the Noid is back! There is a lengthy interview with a guy from Domino's corporate who is a pinball collector himself. Am I personally thrilled to hear Spooky's next game is themed after a pizza franchise instead of a horror theme? No, not really. I was expecting to be a customer for every game Spooky produces, but I won't be able to justify purchasing this. Does it bother me? No, not really. This game isn't being built for me or other pinball collectors and that's ok. If I really did want one, at least it sounds like the offer is being extended. As long as this is a good deal for Spooky, they should absolutely not let the opportunity pass by. More success for them means better games, better licenses and faster turnaround for the future!

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

There's some more info on this machine in the new Spooky podcast. Most importantly... the Noid is back! There is a lengthy interview with a guy from Domino's corporate who is a pinball collector himself. Am I personally thrilled to hear Spooky's next game is themed after a pizza franchise instead of a horror theme? No, not really. I was expecting to be a customer for every game Spooky produces, but I won't be able to justify purchasing this. Does it bother me? No, not really. This game isn't being built for me or other pinball collectors and that's ok. If I really did want one, at least it sounds like the offer is being extended. As long as this is a good deal for Spooky, they should absolutely not let the opportunity pass by. More success for them means better games, better licenses and faster turnaround for the future!

Agree with most of this except that pizza is amazing and title could be for me, but more importantly more success for spooky!

#157 8 years ago

Lots of the great games of the 90's were based on horrible movies. Would be cool to have an amazing game based on garbage pizza!

#158 8 years ago

What sort of game(play) should we expect?

1. defeat the evil pizza monster
2. deliver pizzas around the world
3. collect toppings and make your own pizza

Or am i thinking the wrong way?

#159 8 years ago

Bill Gates gives to charity. Perhaps some artists are willing to design a Microsoft pinball machine for free.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Bill Gates gives to charity

that's because he can't spend it fast enough (and he probably gets a tax break). He left microsoft with 47 billion, his current net worth is 79 billion.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Could you share what was said in the Podcast? I'm not a listener but am curious about this game.

#162 8 years ago

Will there be a gluten free that isn't really gluten free version?

#163 8 years ago

I suspect the pin will taste just like the pizza.

#164 8 years ago

Wizard mode where you battle Pizza the hut.

"Pizza is going to send out for YOU!" unless you collect 1 million spacebucks.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I suspect the pin will taste just like the pizza.

That is so mean to Spooky.

I'm sure his quality plywoods are both thicker and tastier than Domino's pizza.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Wizard mode where you battle Pizza the hut.
"Pizza is going to send out for YOU!" unless you collect 1 million spacebucks.

Or just cradle the ball and wait for him to eat himself to death.

#167 8 years ago

We had Dominos the other night, I thought it was decent.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Am I personally thrilled to hear Spooky's next game is themed after a pizza franchise instead of a horror theme?

Fear not... this is A game we're making, but not OUR next game.

We're still kicking around ideas for our next game... we have made 1 offer on a license, and that's all I'm gonna say.

Domino's is just a great way to help our company grow and keep the minions fully employed. Plus hey... I'm still a rookie at game design, more work in that department is a GOOD thing!

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We're still kicking around ideas for our next game... we have made 1 offer on a license, and that's all I'm gonna say.
Domino's is just a great way to help our company grow and keep the minions fully employed. Plus hey... I'm still a rookie at game design, more work in that department is a GOOD thing!

No Pinside breaks for you......back to programming. JK kidding Charlie!

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

who did you have to talk to in order to make an offer for the licensing on "Bible Adventures?" I know deep down in my heart that is going to be game 3... even if you don't want to admit it to yourself just yet.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

who did you have to talk to in order to make an offer for the licensing on "Bible Adventures?"

You have to discuss it with the man upstairs.....

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We had Dominos the other night, I thought it was decent.

That is good to hear.

I have not had a Domino's pizza in many years.

I had their "crazy bread" a few months ago and they had no almost no butter or garlic on them. Just total crap.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I had their "crazy bread" a few months ago and they had no almost no butter or garlic on them. Just total crap.

Um...

Domino's doesn't have "crazy bread"......that's Little Ceasar's dude. Even barring that, you might want to consider that the person that made your specific order was an idiot. I don't know what dinks service your area, but any breadsticks I've had (or personally made) had enough butter and garlic crap on them that I wouldn't eat it.. I don't like having a coronary, belching butter flavored oil, or spiking my blood pressure from all the salt. Yecch. Trust me, if it's made to "spec"...there's no shortage of "butter" or garlic...it's about five times what is necessary IMO. >_<;;

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Domino's doesn't have "crazy bread".....

That's why I put it in quotes, because it was Domino's version of Crazy Bread™

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's why I put it in quotes, because it was Domino's version of Crazy Bread™

SMH...whatever man. Trying to figure out why people can't just call something what it is.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

SMH...whatever man. Trying to figure out why people can't just call something what it is.

Alright, I went to their website and they are just called "Breadsticks".

No, I'm not kidding.

Breadsticks.jpgBreadsticks.jpg

#177 8 years ago

Bitching over crap breadsticks. Pinside has hit the top.

#178 8 years ago

And now I'm bitching about bitching over crap breadsticks.

#179 8 years ago

I think they should take it a step further and have the Noid vs Little Caesar. You could choose your "house" at the beginning.

Now that would be a pizza pin I could stomach!

Thanks, folks. I'll be here all week.

#180 8 years ago

I really don't understand how anyone could have a big problem with a Domino's theme. I mean, how is it very different from say, Diner, besides the fact it has a brand name tied to it? Would Diner have been a bad game if it had been Waffle House? It still would have had the same rules, most of the same callouts, and while the artwork probably would have been ruined a little but that's probably about it. (They may have decided to keep the yellow wire ramps, too! ) This pin basically sounds like it will be a "Pizza Place" pin with a license attached, and that, to me, sounds like it has a lot of potential for good rules, playfield design, art, sound, etc.

Plus, I work right next to a Dominoes, so if someone happened to put one on location there, I know what I'd be doing every day after work!

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I really don't understand how anyone could have a big problem with a Domino's theme.

Just think of it like KISS. They make crap music but for whatever reason have an army of loyal fans who don't seem to understand that.

Consider me part of the faithful Domino's Army. It's the best pizza around. Small enough slices that they don't droop over when you pick them up. Thick enough crust so your hands and plate aren't covered in grease. Stays together when you bite into it, doesn't send flakes of crust everywhere or you bite all the cheese off at once. On top of all of that it's crazy cheap. I don't understand the Domino's hate. But then again KISS is probably the worst band of all time and they have legions of fans, so maybe I'm one of those blind people.

#182 8 years ago

So since rob zombie is getting color DMD (and is getting manufactured first), can we expect color displays on this as well?
"oooh, full color cheesy pizza animation"

#183 8 years ago

The Noid will be pretty cool.

#184 8 years ago

All this negativity makes me laugh

Quoted from DefaultGen:Just think of it like KISS. They make crap music but for whatever reason have an army of loyal fans who don't seem to understand that.
Consider me part of the faithful Domino's Army. It's the best pizza around. Small enough slices that they don't droop over when you pick them up. Thick enough crust so your hands and plate aren't covered in grease. Stays together when you bite into it, doesn't send flakes of crust everywhere or you bite all the cheese off at once. On top of all of that it's crazy cheap. I don't understand the Domino's hate. But then again KISS is probably the worst band of all time and they have legions of fans, so maybe I'm one of those blind people.

you and I might be the same person.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You have to discuss it with the man upstairs.....

Carlos?

#186 8 years ago

You know what? A "sponsored pin" from Domino's might not be the most earth shatteringly amazing theme for a game. But damn, it's a new pinball, and it's going to be exposed to a ton of people.

How can that not be a good thing?

I drained the art/contest thread a while ago (I knew I'd just turn into a dick if I kept posting) so I dunno if that's still going, but for the record I think it's cool that Spooky is doing the deal. I don't want one, but shit, I'll see if a Domino's near me gets one.

And frankly if they'd drop the stupid contest thing, and hire a dope illustrator and theme it all around the Noid engaged in some crazy hijinks? That dude is funny and freaky. Make it hand drawn and crazy, it would be pretty cool to me.

'Yo Noid' by nintendocartmart'Yo Noid' by nintendocartmart

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...I drained the art/contest thread a while ago (I knew I'd just turn into a dick if I kept posting)...

Dang, now I gotta read the art contest thread.

#188 8 years ago

The noid should be fun to have on it. One mode that could be implemented would be the gentleman who holds the most pizza boxes folded. This could be a pop bumper count up blast.

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Dang, now I gotta read the art contest thread.

On page 5 or 6, Adam from Dominos made it clear that the contest was intended to get ideas, sketches, descriptions, etc. that "might make the game even 2%" better. The contest rules make it sound like they're looking for an entire professional art package in Illustrator. I don't know if Aurich would be a dick if he knew the lawyers who worded the contest sound like the barely know what Illustrator is

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

A dominos pizza theme is terrible. No one wants that crap that isn't in the dominoes industry. There's no way there are 50 preorders already. BS called. I doubt this would sell 50 machines once it's done. No way 50 people jumped in sight unseen and dropped money.

franchisors can require their franchisees to make expensive changes at the drop of a hat maybe then pushed them to do it.

Look at wendys.

http://www.franchisetimes.com/news/February-2015/Wendys-Remodel-Offers-No-ROI-DavCo-Counters-in-Lawsuit/

http://www.offitkurman.com/a-franchise-lawyers-perspective-wendys-lawsuit-highlights-realities-of-franchising/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/recent-wendys-lawsuit-highlights-realities-part-2-brian-loffredo

I tried dominos and few years ago and it tasted like cardboard.

#191 8 years ago

This game needs to be better then Yo! Noid that was just a localized ver of a non Domino's game from Japan

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

On page 5 or 6, Adam from Dominos made it clear that the contest was intended to get ideas, sketches, descriptions, etc. that "might make the game even 2%" better. The contest rules make it sound like they're looking for an entire professional art package in Illustrator. I don't know if Aurich would be a dick if he knew the lawyers who worded the contest sound like the barely know what Illustrator is

Yeah, just read it. The thread's gotten a lot nicer the last couple of days.

#193 8 years ago

I'm sure Adam meant well. People who start these contests generally do, they're not looking to scam people.

It was done badly. I said my piece I'll not drag it in here.

I will say though that the contest seemed destined to fail from the start anyways. It asked for art without even talking about the theme at all. No mention of the toys, objective, nothing. It was all take, no give. That's not going to go anywhere. If you want to collaborate with the community you have to be more open than that.

#194 8 years ago

I'll try to provide a summary of the machine as it stands today, future schedules, plans and some other information as requested a couple times in the thread. Maybe the OP can put this in the first post to make it easy to reference for new readers?

1. Domino's pinball machine to be designed and manufactured by Spooky Pinball.
2. The idea was generated by a small group of pinheads here at the corporate headquarters of Domino's with approval of the executive team.
3. Approached Charlie for the first time at Pinball Life Explosion and he was very nice and gracious but appeared to think we were crazy.
4. Got full approval from management and worked out the details with Charlie to make it work for both parties. We needed to get a minimum order for it to make sense for both sides.
5. To gauge interest and to get the development money, an email was sent to the Domino's system with details and deposit information.
6. First deposits received in initial offering period would be Limited Edition models with a small plate with special Domino's signatures, perhaps different backglass (or backglass options) and external features. Same price, just a reward for those who put down a deposit.
8. We received around 80 orders in the first 2 weeks with deposits and are now pushing 90 orders with deposits.
9. Machines are encouraged for home and offices of Domino's folks but also may be in certain stores that have appropriate store layouts so that the machine does not interfere with operations. There is a variance process for stores to have the machine that is handled outside of my area. I would imagine that in the U.S. there will fewer than 20 machines in stores due to our size restrictions in almost every store.
10. Plan is to have Charlie begin work on designing the machine as soon as Rob Zombie is in production.
11. I sent Charlie our first sketch of a playfield along with a description of our ideas. It was very rough and will likely need a ton of changes but he thought that we could get most of our ideas integrated into the final game.
12. The machine will be full featured with a DMD (perhaps even color with the RZ news), full animation and sound package and as fulsome a set of rules that we can get FawzmaGames to code. Domino's is working on a draft list of modes and objectives right now that will be further refined after the playfield is done.
13. The price of the machine is still to be determined but we anticipated it will be between $4,500 and $5,500 plus shipping.
14. All amounts received by Domino's above the actual cost of the machine will go to the Domino's Pizza Partners Foundation, a not for profit entity that raises money to be given to Domino's team members in need. We hope to raise $50,000+ for Partners in connection with this project.
15. The machine is slated to be unveiled at the Domino's World Wide Rally in Las Vegas in the middle of June 2016. Production will begin as soon as possible after the unveiling.
16. Production will not interfere with any other Spooky project.
17. Art is being done in house by our graphic design team and an artist. We started the contest in the other thread to get ideas and art package sketches from the community. It started a bit of a scene but has calmed down after some further explanation and we are receiving some really cool sketches, ideas and drawings to the email address [email protected]. To be clear, we will take any type of suggestion or submission - sketch, written description, Illustrator files, Photoshop, picture of a cocktail napkin, etc.
18. The Noid will be part of the game and prominently placed on the playfield. The general theme of the machine is the operation of a Domino's Pizza store with the Noid as a villain trying to thwart the efforts of the player to take orders, make pizzas, deliver pizzas and run a great business. I think that the fast-paced and fun atmosphere of making pizzas for people to enjoy will be the number goal of ours to bring out in the machine.
19. We are open to non-Domino's folks buying the machine. Information can be received by emailing [email protected]. In addition, we will reveal playfield layout, artwork and final pricing in the coming months before the full reveal if folks want to wait until then to place their order.

More to come...

Adam

#195 8 years ago

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to seeing the more. I loved the Noid back in the day.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know what? A "sponsored pin" from Domino's might not be the most earth shatteringly amazing theme for a game. But damn, it's a new pinball, and it's going to be exposed to a ton of people.
How can that not be a good thing?
I drained the art/contest thread a while ago (I knew I'd just turn into a dick if I kept posting) so I dunno if that's still going, but for the record I think it's cool that Spooky is doing the deal. I don't want one, but shit, I'll see if a Domino's near me gets one.
And frankly if they'd drop the stupid contest thing, and hire a dope illustrator and theme it all around the Noid engaged in some crazy hijinks? That dude is funny and freaky. Make it hand drawn and crazy, it would be pretty cool to me.
'Yo Noid' by nintendocartmart

That's too bad you quit reading it. I made a joke at your expense. lol

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's too bad you quit reading it. I made a joke at your expense. lol

I just couldn't take any more. All I was going to do was end up getting mad and upset and argue with people. Better to just walk away.

Just assume I found your joke hilarious.

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

I'll try to provide a summary of the machine as it stands today, future schedules, plans and some other information as requested a couple times in the thread. Maybe the OP can put this in the first post to make it easy to reference for new readers?
1. Domino's pinball machine to be designed and manufactured by Spooky Pinball.
2. The idea was generated by a small group of pinheads here at the corporate headquarters of Domino's with approval of the executive team.
3. Approached Charlie for the first time at Pinball Life Explosion and he was very nice and gracious but appeared to think we were crazy.
4. Got full approval from management and worked out the details with Charlie to make it work for both parties. We needed to get a minimum order for it to make sense for both sides.
5. To gauge interest and to get the development money, an email was sent to the Domino's system with details and deposit information.
6. First deposits received in initial offering period would be Limited Edition models with a small plate with special Domino's signatures, perhaps different backglass (or backglass options) and external features. Same price, just a reward for those who put down a deposit.
8. We received around 80 orders in the first 2 weeks with deposits and are now pushing 90 orders with deposits.
9. Machines are encouraged for home and offices of Domino's folks but also may be in certain stores that have appropriate store layouts so that the machine does not interfere with operations. There is a variance process for stores to have the machine that is handled outside of my area. I would imagine that in the U.S. there will fewer than 20 machines in stores due to our size restrictions in almost every store.
10. Plan is to have Charlie begin work on designing the machine as soon as Rob Zombie is in production.
11. I sent Charlie our first sketch of a playfield along with a description of our ideas. It was very rough and will likely need a ton of changes but he thought that we could get most of our ideas integrated into the final game.
12. The machine will be full featured with a DMD (perhaps even color with the RZ news), full animation and sound package and as fulsome a set of rules that we can get FawzmaGames to code. Domino's is working on a draft list of modes and objectives right now that will be further refined after the playfield is done.
13. The price of the machine is still to be determined but we anticipated it will be between $4,500 and $5,500 plus shipping.
14. All amounts received by Domino's above the actual cost of the machine will go to the Domino's Pizza Partners Foundation, a not for profit entity that raises money to be given to Domino's team members in need. We hope to raise $50,000+ for Partners in connection with this project.
15. The machine is slated to be unveiled at the Domino's World Wide Rally in Las Vegas in the middle of June 2016. Production will begin as soon as possible after the unveiling.
16. Production will not interfere with any other Spooky project.
17. Art is being done in house by our graphic design team and an artist. We started the contest in the other thread to get ideas and art package sketches from the community. It started a bit of a scene but has calmed down after some further explanation and we are receiving some really cool sketches, ideas and drawings to the email address [email protected]. To be clear, we will take any type of suggestion or submission - sketch, written description, Illustrator files, Photoshop, picture of a cocktail napkin, etc.
18. The Noid will be part of the game and prominently placed on the playfield. The general theme of the machine is the operation of a Domino's Pizza store with the Noid as a villain trying to thwart the efforts of the player to take orders, make pizzas, deliver pizzas and run a great business. I think that the fast-paced and fun atmosphere of making pizzas for people to enjoy will be the number goal of ours to bring out in the machine.
19. We are open to non-Domino's folks buying the machine. Information can be received by emailing [email protected]. In addition, we will reveal playfield layout, artwork and final pricing in the coming months before the full reveal if folks want to wait until then to place their order.
More to come...
Adam

Thank you! Sounds cool. Will people still be able to order a machine after the reveal in June 2016?

#199 8 years ago

I don't know anything about pinball production, manufacturing, coding, etc but it seems to me like it's going to be nearly impossible to get this done by June 2016.

#10 above says that Charlie will begin designing after Rob Zombie is in production. Is RZ in production yet? Even if it is, it seems like it doesn't leave a lot of time for design.

#12 seems to indicate that coding hasn't even started yet. Not sure how long it takes to flesh out rules and integrate them with modes, etc. but again, it seems like you only have a few months to get that done.

#17 talks about art package being done in house but still taking ideas for the art work. Can all art work be done and ready to go in a few months?

I see that the game will be unveiled at the world rally in June 2016. Am I incorrect in thinking that they'd want a machine that's pretty well finished by this time or just a shell of a game that gives attendees an idea of what it might look like once it's finished?

Again, I have no idea how long it normally takes from start to finish to come up with an idea, get modes and rules and art and such together, build a couple, and test to make sure it all works the way you thought it would when you draw it up but 6 months doesn't seem like enough time.

#200 8 years ago

Making pinball machines be hard!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dominos-pizza-themed-pin/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.