(Topic ID: 145821)

Domino's Pizza Pinball Art Contest - Win Prizes!

By adamgacek

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PAPA_Pinball_Johns.png
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Pizzeria_Testa.png
Pizza_Layout.png
CABINET_ART_MASTER_TEMPLATE.pdf (PDF preview)
playfield_doodle.jpg
download.jpg
253_web.png
image.jpg
image.jpg
use_your_hand_like_this_chuck.jpg
image.jpg
MyWorkIsWorthMoreThanPizza.gif
image.jpg
There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 8 years ago

#152 8 years ago

Is this contest being promoted anywhere outside of Pinside?

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm saddened to hear that as an experienced graphic arts person you don't understand why the artists here are pissed off, myself included.

Domino's in house art team was always going to to do this job with some direction from us. It's not taking a dime out of any "outside artists" pocket. Adam's idea was to have fun and possibly gather some ideas from pinball people who might want to try, and give away some pizza. I really fail to see the harm in any of this... then again, I fail to see what upsets a lot of people these days.

Not our contest, not our art department, but this isn't aimed at taking work away from Aurich, you, or anyone else at that level... more like having fun and maybe getting some free pizza for someone who WANTS to give it a shot.

And really... don't let anything I do make you sad. I'm just a guy working late on a Friday and enjoying life. No harm intended to anyone coming from this dude.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

$200 in pizza makes sense if your business card got drawn from the fishbowl.

Bahahahahahahahahahahhhahah

Great material.

#155 8 years ago

This is turning in a bad way. This an art contest advertised on Pinside. A free posting website for pinball enthusiasts. This is not some official job site for graphics artists. if you're trolling for work within these threads, or looking for validation for your profession here, then there are issues that go far beyond pinside. If you think there are graphics artists that work for less than the market rate, then address them directly. But grandstanding on a small, free, posting site is just silly.

Kudos to dominos for trying to create something fun. Hopefully someone will have a little fun with this and get selected to have their idea used. Other than that... Have a great night! Thanks Charlie for pushing your pinball business forward and congrats on solidifying a 3rd game! Pretty awesome stuff

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Ironically (in a crowd sourcing way), during your early days as a pinball designer, you were happy to give free design advice to JJP for the Hobbit playfield (raising your brand)

I'd be happy to do that with any pin still frankly. I think it's harder now, I come off as biased since I'm doing Alien, and my personal opinions can be seen as trying to put down a potential competitor. We can pretty safely ignore that with a Domino's pin I think.

I like contributing to pinball. I really think anyone would be hard pressed to say I don't contribute here, and I've done art for free too. I don't expect or need to be paid for everything, giving back is part of what makes this a great place, for all the drama.

This get art for a contest thing is just a personal issue for me, and as you can see other designers here feel the same. Not everyone is going to get it or agree with me, that's life.

If Adam has instead posted some concept sketches and said "hey, we want feedback from the community, and we've got free pizza to give away to the top three upvoted posts" that would be totally cool. Way different.

#157 8 years ago

How is the pizza free if you gotta submit art and be in top 3. I assume time/talent has no value.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm saddened to hear that as an experienced graphic arts person you don't understand why the artists here are pissed off, myself included.
The argument "if you don't like it, don't enter" falls apart because there is always someone who will enter - usually a naive college kid just starting out who actually believes the lie of "exposure" - and these sort of contests *set the value of art* because of that.
Let's say you're an artist and to "get your foot in the door" you give away your work for free. The corporate party line is that this will lead to more exposure and more paid work! The reality is that this leads to *more free work* because you've demonstrated your market value by working for free. Someone who got your work for free (or $200 in gift cards) will never pay more than that ever. Why/

Lol, you "artists" complain more than anyone in history. ITS A CONTEST FOR ADDITIONAL IDEAS!! What the hell are you even talking about? Naïve college kids??!? Maybe those kids would welcome the chance to put forward ideas and see where it goes???!?! Did that thought ever cross your mind?? Maybe that "kid" is willing to work harder, spread himself thin, put in whatever he has too...... to make it work.

Its called reality, I see it everyday myself. Put in the effort and you will reap the rewards. Not withstanding its a STUPID CONTEST!

#159 8 years ago

My only gripe is that you have to be 18 to enter. I sent the link to my 17-year-old son (a pretty decent artist), and then discovered that he's ineligible. I guess that's because you have to be an adult to sign away any rights to your work.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My only gripe is that you have to be 18 to enter. I sent the link to my 17-year-old son (a pretty decent artist), and then discovered that he's ineligible. I guess that's because you have to be an adult to sign away any rights to your work.

I don't want to get in trouble, you have to tell me if you're a cop... But you could totally submit your son's artwork for him. And then take him out for pizza whether he wins or loses because hey, pizza.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

How is the pizza free if you gotta submit art and be in top 3. I assume time/talent has no value.

Give me $100 and I'll tell you the answer for nothing

Have you ever responded to a tender (RFI/RFP/Bid) for business, sunk costs a-plenty for whatever risk/reward?

If I was "creative" and I wanted to respond to this, I would submit a partial design, just enough to say "Yeah you like that, want the whole sh*t show..let's talk and eat at the same time!", but that's just me.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Its a CONTEST!! My god, my 8 year old colored a picture and won a free dinner at a restaurant. Should all the other 8 year olds who lost complain about lost time??

Good lord people

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

A major point is that the contest specifically asks for Adobe Illustrator files.

I understand why this statement raises the stakes in your mind, but that seems out of synch with the rest of what has been said and Charlie's comments. Would not surprise me if the person putting together the info asked the inside designers "how should people submit stuff" and they naturally said "adobe illustrator files would be great"

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Give me $100 and I'll tell you the answer for nothing
Have you ever responded to a tender (RFI/RFP/Bid) for business, sunk costs a-plenty for whatever risk/reward?
If I was "creative" and I wanted to respond to this, I would submit a partial design, just enough to say "Yeah you like that, want the whole sh*t show..let's talk and eat at the same time!", but that's just me.

Why cant I thumb up this 1000X. This is how you separate yourself and strive for better. Though, its easier to complain...

#165 8 years ago

People complain about what they're passionate about. Aurich is passionate about design and pinball, so naturally an approach that seems to devalue both is going to raise some strong feelings for him.

I don't share the depth of his reaction, but I can't blame him for caring about and defending his (valuable) profession. I'd do the same if it were mine. A lot of things are broken with how business is done, and change happens because people speak up.

It would be nice if the contest format could be altered as Aurich suggests, but if not we can all agree we love great design and pinball. Right?

#166 8 years ago

Everyone's offended! Everyone's upset! Pinside!

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Why cant I thumb up this 1000X. This is how you separate yourself and strive for better. Though, its easier to complain...

Its a prize for finishing in top 3, its not free though. Just call the gift cards what they are.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Maybe that "kid" is willing to work harder, spread himself thin, put in whatever he has too...... to make it work.

What do you do for a living? How would you feel if your boss came over and said "hey, these kids here are willing to do your job for nothing, I think you should too"?

Work has value.

It turns out this contest isn't quite what we're rallying against but that doesn't mean it's not a valid argument.

#169 8 years ago

Done. Honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about. Took me about 2 minutes. Now, where's my pizza??

478761.jpg478761.jpg

#170 8 years ago

And folks we have a winner

#171 8 years ago

Where is all of the anger from the other pinball artists and designers? Not here.

I'll say it again: Aurich has made has made some awesome designs.... I'm sure we'd have a blast hanging out, sharing beers and playing some pins, But come on... This a pinball enthusiast site. This is not some official posting site for graphics designers. Who is being offended here? It's bizarre to look at this as some insult against professionals. I just don't get it... You don't like it, don't respond. If you're looking for work... Then this might not be the place for you... But as a fan of PINBALL, I don't see a single problem with dominos coming on here and saying submit you ideas. This isn't a referendum. This is just meant to be fun.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

What do you do for a living? How would you feel if your boss came over and said "hey, these kids here are willing to do your job for nothing, I think you should too"?
Work has value.
It turns out this contest isn't quite what we're rallying against but that doesn't mean it's not a valid argument.

Ok, first you need to separate what your saying, " work has value"

Absolutely!! Of coarse it does. That said I work with the laziest people, ( most of them ) in history and they stand around all day complaining they are worth 100K+ and basically are entitled to it, just for showing up!!

Your rallying against what exactly? Your worth more than people want to pay you?? The last time I checked, you picked your job and education, or lack of it (not trying to start something with you, I have no idea of your situation) so you deal with the problems. I hate my job BUT I make great money IF I bust my ass, that works for me and my family.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I make great money IF I bust my ass

But, what if busting your ass doesn't work because someone else is willing to work just as hard for free?

That's the only point I'm making here. There's tons of people willing to do generally mediocre work with no real experience behind it, for free, on the promise of "exposure" or that they'll get some small prize, or in fact nothing at all if their design isn't chosen. The original post triggered the reaction it did because of that.

I'm just trying to make YOU understand the perspective.

#174 8 years ago

If correct Domino's has shit on their face or should I say pizza

Quoted from tacshose:If they have a preference for Illustrator files then they are not asking for a simple sketch by an amateur, or a notebook drawing. How many of you have Illustrator? How many of you know how to properly use it?
Aurich is correct, they are baiting for free work. I have no idea why anyone is defending it

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

But, what if busting your ass doesn't work because someone else is willing to work just as hard for free?
That's the only point I'm making here. There's tons of people willing to do generally mediocre work with no real experience behind it, for free, on the promise of "exposure" or that they'll get some small prize, or in fact nothing at all if their design isn't chosen. The original post triggered the reaction it did because of that.

Id get out of what I was doing and find something better, just saying. Nobody works for free and the best always rise to the top.

#176 8 years ago

Can see both sides of this thread.

I can see why Dominos came up with the idea. Just read through the GOT launch thread. Basically an entire thread of art criticism and suggestions of how it should have been. 100's of complaints that Stern didn't listen to the true fans. Many posts of people actually creating and posting "better" cabinet art - including some from the graphic community on Pinside. And often the art presented was really good and was better than the Stern art.

Would be a logical step for Dominos to say "Lets give Pinside a chance to get involved at the design phase." I think the motive was definitely meant as a gesture of respect to Pinside more so than an insult to designers. I don't think it was an attempt to get "cheap" graphic work done. As the OP stated, Dominoes has a very professional and well paid in house design department.

It would be a win-win. Dominos gets a good design. Pinball gets a good design. If it's not worth your time as an artist, just ignore it.

However, the implementation definitely has a feel of devaluing the work of a graphic artist. Firstly to imply that "anyone" can do it. And then to put a $ value on it of $200 - not even cash, but in Dominoes gift vouchers! To be honest, when i read the heading, my first thought was, "cool, someone can win a Dominoes pinball". When I saw the $200 voucher I laughed.

Maybe it would have been better to ask for help without offering any prize or reward? Or presenting their early design idea and then asking for Pinside comment/input.

Or even better, make the reward something without a $ value. You get a day helping design the actual game with Spooky? You get a day working on the prototype assembly? You get a Dominoes pinball on loan for 3 months?

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can I suggest that you guys rethink this a bit, and find another way to get the community involved? I think it would draw in more people if there was another way, and could be a win-win.

I love ya man, but you do need to remove yourself completely from this meltdown. You're a graphic designer, we all get it, but sorry you're not teaching our nations children how to read. The shit fit you've thrown over this silly pizza contest is not a good look on you whom I think everyone would agree is usually a very level headed individual.
It comes off sort of like you're the only one good enough to put art on a pinball machine, and if someone here makes some doodles and send it to the Noid they making a mockery out of your chosen profession.

Quoted from jwilson:

We call that "capitalism" down south 'Merica way.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's the only point I'm making here. There's tons of people willing to do generally mediocre work with no real experience behind it, for free, on the promise of "exposure" or that they'll get some small prize, or in fact nothing at all if their design isn't chos ginal post triggered the reaction it did because of that.

This pinside, a pinball enthusiast site, where collectors come together and celebrate pinball. People make mods and sell them for close to nothing... People trade ideas on how to fix pins for next to nothing (when calling a tech might cost a few hundred bucks)... This isn't a referendum on some actual profession. Let them have their contest... That's all it is: a contest. Good grief. Just when you think you've heard it all. The actually owner of the pinball company - a universally loved guy - is even on here confirming this is a simple contest. This is crazy.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I love ya man, but you do need to remove yourself completely from this meltdown. You're a graphic designer, we all get it, but sorry you're not teaching our nations children how to read. The shit fit you've thrown over this silly pizza contest is not a good look on you whom I think everyone would agree is usually a very level headed individual.
It comes off sort of like you're the only one good enough to put art on a pinball machine, and if someone here makes some doodles and send it to the Noid they making a mockery out of your chosen profession.

We call that "capitalism" down south 'Merica way.

Couldn't say it better.

#180 8 years ago

Thanks for the thumbs down txjay, clearly your part of the intitled crowd who is to good to actually put in an effort.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Maybe it would have been better to ask for help without offering any prize or reward? Or presenting their early design idea and then asking for Pinside comment/input.

Or even better, make the reward something without a $ value. You get a day helping design the actual game with Spooky? You get a day working on the prototype assembly? You get a Dominoes pinball on loan for 3 months?

best idea in this thread. I think it's the value of the gift cards that are giving the wrong impression. Imagine if Stern came out and said "we want suggestions for artwork on ghostbusters", I doubt many people would scoff, they'd probably be thrilled that they're finally listening.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Couldn't say it better.

I can. If you don't like the contest, just drain the thread without comment.

#183 8 years ago

1000 posts by christmas

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You get a day helping design the actual game with Spooky? You get a day working on the prototype assembly?

Then Steve Richie would be trolling pinside aboot some goddman hack making a joke out of his profession playing "game designer" for a day

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I can. If you don't like the contest, just drain the thread without comment.

Totally agreed, lol

#186 8 years ago

Im an artist. I won't be participating. While I do think Aurich's rhetoric is pretty harsh, I agree with him for the most part. Im pretty sure anybody with a real art background on this site will not be entering. We know the score.

So all you amateurs out there, go at it. These kinds of contests are cancer with larger scale jobs and brands. But $200 in pizza gift cards isn't going to attract any talent worth its salt. There are no kids 'starting out' here on pinside.

You get what you pay for. Now I want to see the art we all think is worth $200 in pizza!

#187 8 years ago

I wanted to give this contest the benefit of the doubt. That it was for Joe Shmoes or kids, but the fact that they want it in illustrator and that it's 18+ says otherwise.

For the laymen who don't understand what the fuss is about, it is a very common scam for large companies to get ideas for dirt cheap in the guise of a contest.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

"artists" complain more than anyone in history. ITS A CONTEST FOR ADDITIONAL IDEAS!! What the hell are you even talking about?

I would have to disagree. Too many people, especially people who aren't artist, just assume its easy. I think too that many people assume because pursuing art requires passion and talent, that they will do anything as long as its art related.

Many artists who are working professionals spent years of their life in training in university art programs, and if they have an MFA like I do, at least 8 years of their life honing skills and preparing to produce art for a living. Not for fun, but to earn a living, support a family, the same way the guy does with an engineering degree. Most of that work is done on a computer, and the software can be $100s a month, I pay nearly that just for the Adobe suite, not to mention that I can't work effectively on just any computer. I need a high end system with more RAM and Hard Drive space than most gamer PC's, multiple monitors, and a WACOM tablet interace that cost more than a high end laptop. That's just the tools you need to get started. Add to that rent, lights, electricity. All before I even have a job.

I also see this could be an entry opportunity for some artists, and they can make that sacrifice, however it sets bad precedent. Honestly if your Aurich, you don't have time to trade pizza for good work, so they will get results that is worth exactly $200 bucks in pizza trade.

The insult is that the presumption of many businesses is that's good enough. Thankfully not all see it that way so there's work to be done and respectful and appropriate remuneration.

Domino's designers need pinball help. If they have designers on the payroll don't ask for Art Idea, ask the entire community what would be a fun in pinball with a Dominos pizza delivery bent, and let them solve the visual problem.

pizzashirt-2.jpgpizzashirt-2.jpg

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

best idea in this thread. I think it's the value of the gift cards that are giving the wrong impression. Imagine if Stern came out and said "we want suggestions for artwork on ghostbusters", I doubt many people would scoff, they'd probably be thrilled that they're finally listening.

There's a big difference in suggestions for artwork, the everyman making a quick sketch, and a designer using a professional tool. A big cause of this whole thing was that the contest rules specifically ask for files from a tool only a professional designer would have.

Adam said in this this thread whatever you have is fine to enter, but the way the contest is worded is entirely different from Stern saying "We want suggestions for artwork", it's just not the same thing.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Then Steve Richie would be trolling pinside aboot some goddman hack making a joke out of his profession playing "game designer" for a day

LOL.

Yeh, that was poorly worded. Got to be careful what you say here.

"You get a day observing a Spooky designer. You get a day observing prototype assembly"

#191 8 years ago

200.00 Gift Card = 30.00 In Product .... Win Win!!!

#192 8 years ago

I guess the other option is Dominoes could have just paid a Pinside graphic artist as a consultant to assist the in-house team.

#193 8 years ago

My playfield entry

images.jpgimages.jpg

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I would have to disagree. Too many people, especially people who aren't artist, just assume its easy....
Many artists who are working professionals spent years of their life in training in university art programs,....

I don't think a lot of us actually think it's very easy being an artist...but I'm now sure all artists think 'we' think it's easy to be an artist. Then again I kind of work in an artistic field, even though I'm a scientist.
Well anyway, I'd fill everyone in on all book learnin' I did and how much this PC cost I'm typing on, but that's tragically boring.

#195 8 years ago

So they don't want little kids submitting crayon ideas... And they want it in a fairly standard form. What's the problem here??? They created a cutoff and a suggest format that the vast majority of pinsiders qualify for / could have access to if they wanted.

#197 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I would have to disagree. Too many people, especially people who aren't artist, just assume its easy. I think too that many people assume because pursuing art requires passion and talent, that they will do anything as long as its art related.
Many artists who are working professionals spent years of their life in training in university art programs, and if they have an MFA like I do, at least 8 years of their life honing skills and preparing to produce art for a living. Not for fun, but to earn a living, support a family, the same way the guy does with an engineering degree. Most of that work is done on a computer, and the software can be $100s a month, I pay nearly that just for the Adobe suite, not to mention that I can't work effectively on just any computer. I need a high end system with more RAM and Hard Drive space than most gamer PC's, multiple monitors, and a WACOM tablet interace that cost more than a high end laptop. That's just the tools you need to get started. Add to that rent, lights, electricity. All before I even have a job.
I also see this could be an entry opportunity for some artists, and they can make that sacrifice, however it sets bad precedent. Honestly if your Aurich, you don't have time to trade pizza for good work, so they will get results that is worth exactly $200 bucks in pizza trade.
The insult is that the presumption of many businesses is that's good enough. Thankfully not all see it that way so there's work to be done and respectful and appropriate remuneration.
Domino's designers need pinball help. If they have designers on the payroll don't ask for Art Idea, ask the entire community what would be a fun in pinball with a Dominos pizza delivery bent, and let them solve the visual problem.
pizzashirt-2.jpg

LOL, whatever. "Starving artist" didn't come from thin air. I need tools to do my job too, so do 99% of everyone else and Id argue mine are more expensive. You picked your job, now im supposed to feel sorry for you? Wakeup, it isn't Dominos offering a contest, its you complaining the world is hard on you. Its a FREE CONTEST, it has nothing to do RAM and Hard drive issues, give me a break.

#199 8 years ago

I always like the Noid honestly...but I'm near Dominos ground zero

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Work has value.

I think if we learned anything from this thread it's that drawing art is easy and anyone can do it. But someone needs to pay!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dominos-pizza-pinball-art-contest-win-prizes/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.