0Domino-Work-02 (resized).jpg
_12 (resized).jpg
_11 (resized).jpg
_5 (resized).jpg
_2 (resized).jpg
_3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I’m beginning the restoration process of a Domino. Schematic is on order from PBR. Does anyone have the startup sequence that they can share?

When I turn on the power, the lights in the back box turn on. After adding credits manually and pressing the start button, the credit stepped decreases by 1, the score reels reset to zeros, finally the relay bank resets (which makes the playfield GI turn on for a split second). But that is it, the ball does not get kicked out and the playfield GI and all the playfield mechs have no power, except for the two kickout holes which are always powered up.

Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

If the Ball Return Relay (O) doesn't activate when the game is reset and the ball is in the outhole, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

Hi Peruman
here http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/emTips.html are some Start-Up sequences. You mention "at end the Control-Bank resets - the playfield gets light for a split second" --- watch the Control-Bank when resetting - question: Does the TB-Tilt-Relay (mounted in the Control-Bank) actuate / plunge ? Also watch the R-30Volt-Hold-Relay at start-up - Does it pull-in and stays pulling ? Greetings Rolf

#4 3 years ago

Howard, I checked the circuit. If I bypass the open side of the DB make-break relay then the outhole relay starts to switch and the outhole kicker shoots the ball into the outlane. The machine gets stuck in a scoring motor loop with the outhole kicker firing. Unfortunately, none of the playfield GI or scoring switches/pop bumpers/flippers work. That part of the circuit is not getting power.

Rolf, the R-relay does hold after startup and stays like that until the power is switched off. I checked the voltage on it and it reads close to 30V. The TB relay does reset when the reset bar plunges.

I'm not great at debugging without a schematic, I should be getting this later this week and get back to getting this machine working.

I have added a couple photos of the machine. It was in an boarded up bus station. Not the best environment for a pinball, but I plan to bring it back.

Thanks again for the help.

Alberto

_2 (resized).jpg_2 (resized).jpg_3 (resized).jpg_3 (resized).jpg_5 (resized).jpg_5 (resized).jpg_11 (resized).jpg_11 (resized).jpg_12 (resized).jpg_12 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

Hi Alberto
my question was " ... then the Control-Bank is resetted" AND NOW does the TB-Tilt-Relay actuate ? See the JPG - in the wiring to the playfield-lights there is only ONE switch - a switch on the TB-Tilt-Relay. So my working hypothesis is: The Control-Bank does reset therefore the TB-Relay-Switch is moved to let current flow to the playfield-lights - but then the TB-Relay faulty actuates and the TB-Relay-Switch moved cuts the power to the playfield lights.
Please look again - does the TB-Tilt-Relay (faulty) actuates just after the Control-Bank is resetted ? Greetings Rolf

0Domino-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Domino-Work-02 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

Rolf, you were 100% correct. The tilt switch in the head was stuck shut. Once that was sorted, the GI lights come on and stay on after the Start button is pushed.

Now the machine is stuck in a scoring motor loop. The outhole kicker is not firing. I can make it fire if I jump one of the normally open switches on the DB relay. This is the next thing to debug.

Getting closer. Thanks again for the help

Alberto

#7 3 years ago

Hi Alberto
sorry for late writing --- hmm, I am not so good in fixing old ONE-Player-Pins (into Switzerland they usually imported Four-Player-Pins). Good, You could fix the Tilt-Switch problem.
The actual fault - the Score-Motor runs and runs --- HowardR shows in post-2 a snippet of the schematics - we see the symbol of the motor and we see all switches that make the motor to run. Question - when You toggle-on the pin: Does the motor runs and runs ? (The motor is allowed to run a bit but the most is a third of a revolution - then the motor must stop.) (((This question I ask because of Motor-1C-Switch)))
Question - when the pin comes to the fault "motor runs endlessly" - see the schematics in post-2 --- W-, Y-, O-, U-, S-, V-, X-Relay-Switches - question: Is one of the mentioned relays pulling, pulling, pulling (actuated all the time) ? Greetings Rolf

#8 3 years ago

Rolf, the problem was the Reset (DB) relay not pulling in after the reset cycle completed. The make-break switch on DB controls both the power to the O relay (on the NO side) and runs the score motor (on the NC side). With it not pulling in, the score motor would not stop and the outhole kicker would not fire. Pulling it in by hand actually let me play a game tonight.

I need to check the run out switches for the scoring reels since those control the DB relay pulling in.

Thanks again for all your help and also HowardR’s

Alberto

#9 3 years ago

After cleaning the Jones plugs in the Backbox, the game now starts with no issues.

I do have a question on the Runout Switches for the counters. Looking at the 1s and 10s counters, the Runout switch is open in the 0 position and closed for all others. Is this the correct operation? If it is, then how would the DB relay ever pull-in when the counters are all reset?

Thanks

Alberto

2 weeks later
#10 3 years ago

Hi Alberto
my brain / memory suffered in summer 2018 - if I do not answer right away - I simply forget. I read Your post-9 - had a quick look at the schematics, had problems understanding - said "must have a closer look / brood over the schematics" - then forgot ...
I already said "I am not good in ONE-Player-Pins". My first question is "does Your pin runs and Your question is just curiosity" ? Second question - see the JPG: Are You talking about "my blue-1 Switch(es)" or about "my blue-2 Switch(es)" ?

Fellow pinsiders - can You enlighten me - explain the functionality of DB-Reset-Relay (sitting in the Control-Bank) ? (((I assume the schematics is drawn "A new game has been started, stuff is resetted - then the the pin is toggled off"))) Greetings Rolf
P.S.: I sqeezed a bit the stuff / drawing when I made the JPG

0Domino-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Domino-Work-03 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

explain the functionality of DB-Reset-Relay

The Replay button activates the Start relay (S)
A switch on the S relay activates the Bank Reset Control relay (SB)
A switch on SB resets the Control bank, which resets the Reset relay (DB)
When all 4 score reels make it to zero, the DB relay trips

I'll keep thinking but the 4 DB switches to the right of rolf_martin_062 's blue "1" are drawn closed on the schematic while they should be open when the game is reset and ready for play.

#12 3 years ago

rolf_martin_062 --> the pin does run so my question was just curiosity. The pin right now is all taken apart since the cabinet was broken and also had mold/mildew. All this is being cleaned before I put the pin back together again. I should have looked more closely at the schematic. I need to find out where the "Ones Unit Runout" is versus the "Ones Runout".

HowardR --> I just checked the reset bank. When the bank has been reset, those switches are closed. When the DB relay is energized, the switches are open.

Alberto

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

@howardr --> I just checked the reset bank. When the bank has been reset, those switches are closed. When the DB relay is energized, the switches are open.

Thanks for confirming that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/domino-startup-sequence?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.